My Kitchen Rules – Like Lambs To Slaughter?

Am I the only person that did not know that Meg was 34 years old? I thought she was a pretty foxy forty year old. Maybe this is because her partner Simon is 47 years old and I had just wrongly presumed a few things. It reminds me of an episode in Sex and The City where Candice Bergen has a slash at Sarah Jessica Parker saying “you younger girls are taking the guys that are my age so there is none for us or 50 year old women have to date 65 year old men.” This is a phenomenon not just seen in New York but it is apparent in Sydney as well.

It was Helen and Steve against Meg and Simon. The show was billing it as the Kiwi’s versus the Aussies and to be honest the hyperbole was irritating as for some reason are Steve jokes.

Both menus looked good, with Meg and Simon making Salmon and Prawn Roulade, Crusted Lamb with a Pomegranate Salad, and Cherry and Chocolate Cake for dessert.

Steve and Helen were making Black Ink Cuttle fish with a Fennel Salad, Rabbit Stifado, and Orange Cake Trifle for Dessert.

Stress was not making Simon think clearly as he tasted raw prawns in his mousse, and then he used the mousse more as a butter then as a stuffing.  Also when time was running out and the dish was not cooked he started searing the roulade in tin foil in a fry pan. This resulted in the salmon being overcooked and dry. Maybe he should have microwaved it as that does cook things from the inside out.

Liz Egan thought it needed more sauce and Guy Grossi could not taste the mousse.

Conversely the judges loved the cuttle fish, Pete loved the texture and flavour.

However Steve was doing freestyle with the main which was not a positive thing.  He said he did not measure ingredients and he looked like he was putting a lot of cinnamon in.  However Manu’s criticism was there were not enough spices in there to make a strong stew. He had also overcooked it, and quite rightly had not told his sister so she would not freak out.

Simon put the best spin on things when he cut open his pan fried lamb. “The lamb is rarer then I would like,” he said. It was raw.  However lucky for him once it was under the grill it ended up getting cooked properly.

The judges liked the lamb but panned the Pomegranate Salad, they thought it was too confusing with the peas in there.

Steve and Helen’s Orange Cake Trifle was loved by the judges, however Liz did say she would have liked the custard not to be so warm. They really need to have a blast chiller for the contestants.

However Meg’s Chocolate Cherry Cake also looked fabulous. However it was surprising they did not get criticised for leaving the pips in the cherries. The judges always like a good “I nearly chipped my tooth on a stone” story.

Pete said Meg’s dessert was the highlight of their menu.

All the guest judges gave Simon and Meg a six. Manu gave a six and  Pete gave a seven, for a total of 37 out of 60.

Karen gave Steve and Helen a six, Liz scored a six, Tobie gave a seven, and Guy gave a six. Manu scored a six and Pete gave a score of seven which meant the NSW team won by one point. There were tears all round, but not as many as there will be tonight when they see Pete and Gary walk back in to be part of a jury made up of former contestants.

1 Georgie { 03.19.12 at 8:57 am }

I’m really glad I’m not one of the judges on this show because there’s no way I would have been able to eat that black ink squid without gagging.

2 Anonymous { 03.19.12 at 9:00 am }

Tobie (judge) licking his plate with finger, yech!
Yes it’s going to be a big week of eliminations (and fun with the Jury). Will miss Simon and Meg……………

3 Leop { 03.19.12 at 9:01 am }

whoops it goes into anonymous, sorry twas me

4 Dunbi { 03.19.12 at 10:11 am }

I wonder if they are allowed to microwave, I’ve never seen anybody use one on the show. Peter and Gary could have microwaved their potatoes.

5 Suzanne { 03.19.12 at 10:25 am }

So glad the Kiwis are gone. The over-the-top Aussie vs NZ thing was getting ridiculous. Do people really carry on like that?

And not sure if I’m happy to see a jury either, if they’re going to be judging on who they think should be rewarded, rather than whose food is better. Bring on blind tasting for the jury!

6 nanaliz { 03.19.12 at 10:43 am }

Just seen a goosip guy on morning show talking about the romance between Carly and Rocco. Article in this weeks New Idea. It has been going on for 6 months and they are in luuuuv. She is moving to Adelaide initially for a month to see how things go. he is apparantly talking baby Italian stalians.
As to last nights show, I agree Suzanne, sick of Oz/NZ carry on. Glad Helen and Steve made it although I don’t think they will last much longer, but they seem such lovely people.
Jury is out on this jury nonsense tonight although peter did say if Carly and Emily cook badly they would give them a 1 but they have always been fair with their scoring. More talk than anything else.

7 littlepetal { 03.19.12 at 11:50 am }

The jury consist of most of the eliminated contestants so Peter and Gary can’t have things their own way. I understand the jury nominates 1 team and the judges nominates another team to go into the elimination round and the final elimination is determined by the judges.

Also agree that P&G have always been fair with their judging. They are just trying to bring out the villains in them. Like the earlier promo only have Thomas and Carla and Peter and Gary as the jury but last night they showed most of the eliminated teams were back.

8 Cherry Gripe { 03.19.12 at 12:13 pm }

Odd that they Rocco and Nic didn’t Carly and Emily to go on the reward holiday with them, then…

And speaking of Smug and Smugger, the looks on Carly and Emily’s faces on last night’s promo were just priceless when they saw Peter and Gary walk in :)

9 littlepetal { 03.19.12 at 12:16 pm }

The holiday reward was won by the Army boys and they picked Rocco and Nic.

10 Cherry Gripe { 03.19.12 at 12:22 pm }

Ahh, that explains it! Thanks, littlepetal. I couldn’t have been concentrating that night :)

11 Isabel { 03.19.12 at 1:12 pm }

And Simon still looked constipated last night … I must say that I am surprised to see that Meg is only 34 … she certainly appears to be much more ‘mature’.

12 Chunks { 03.19.12 at 1:57 pm }

Devestated about Rocco. Don’t think I can continue on with this season now. Thank god the silly Aussies vs Kiwis thing is over. Can’t we all just grow up and get over it?

13 Bruiser Brody { 03.19.12 at 2:19 pm }

Will have to wait and see, but why the hell are the “jury” back? (aside from usual reality tv/ ratings grabs) – the process of elimination kicked out the weakest contestants who thereby lack the refined skills/ pallet of the superior contestants, who are still IN the competition – yet they are to be judged by complete and utter muppets like “Never Cooked Before Wow Couldn’t Tell” Tom and “This Food Tastes Like It Was Made After The 70s, Ick!” Gary!

Steve must’ve stopped watching TV in the early 90s after realising Comedy Company was the zenith of modern day venacular!
Coupla Beeyoootiufaall Daayaas! Souvlaki!
Love him but 😉

14 Reality Raver { 03.19.12 at 2:23 pm }

Just found out the contestants are not allowed to use microwaves. Which is a bit unfair as it is a standard bit of equipment at homes and commercial kitchens.

Bruiser Brody I think you have picked Steve in one re: Comedy Company.

NannaLiz – just bought the New Idea so will post on the MKR romance this afternoon. See reality TV is good it helps people fall in love.

15 AnnyB { 03.19.12 at 2:37 pm }

Funniest comment of the night from Manu?:

“I know it’s hard to present stew but this looks like someone’s put a grenade in the pot”.

16 brain dead dave { 03.19.12 at 2:55 pm }

It’s getting awfully cheesy how the contestants miraculously manage to plate up with milliseconds to spare.

Yes , I thought Meg was pretty foxy ,except for her accent. Simon’s punching way above his weight there. He was cadaver white for the instant restaurant and last night looked he’s been giving the fake tan a real caning. Glad to see him go.

17 Jruth { 03.19.12 at 3:12 pm }

I didn’t realize they couldn’t use microwaves. I’m sure microwaves are pretty essential in commercial kitchens these days. And I remember in season 1 that two sisters from Qld (can’t remember their names) were making ganache in the MKR kitchen and Manu was criticizing them for melting the chocolate in the microwave rather than on the stove…

18 Calliegirl { 03.19.12 at 5:17 pm }

I agree with Georgie – the black squid meal looked stomach churning! Looking forward to the week’s eliminations.

19 littlepetal { 03.19.12 at 5:23 pm }

RR- We are coming to the end of MKR. Why don’t you put up a poll to pick the winner?

20 Andrea { 03.19.12 at 8:09 pm }

RR Im still waiting for The Biggest Loser posts, there’s only so much you can say about MKR. Lots of things happening on Biggest Loser too!

21 Moonstruck { 03.19.12 at 9:25 pm }

Who went home tonight?

22 Georgie { 03.19.12 at 9:49 pm }

Angela and Justine – they cooked really well but the Tassie’s did better. Pity that, Meg is really getting on my nerves with all her harping and nagging. She’s incessant.

23 littlepetal { 03.19.12 at 9:54 pm }

They will be the next to go, Georgie.

24 Georgie { 03.19.12 at 10:07 pm }

I hope so littlepetal – I know they set some people up to appear mean and nasty, but that Megan is just plain stupid and I don’t think she’s been set up, I think she’s the real deal.

25 Moonstruck { 03.19.12 at 10:50 pm }

Thank you Georgie. I’ve only been MKR on and off and keeping up from this site, but from the little that I have seen, half the teams should not be there as they can’t cook. They are all one trick ponies. But then who in their right mind would go there? Btw what has happened to all those that won previous seasons. At least we are saved crock about the restaurant they want to open.

26 Georgie { 03.19.12 at 11:05 pm }

I think you’re right there Moonstruck and in Thomarse and Colour’s case they didn’t even have one trick. I think being in it for the $$ is okay too – nothing wrong with that.

27 brain dead dave { 03.19.12 at 11:22 pm }

Megan and Andy getting tens. Farcical.

28 Georgie { 03.19.12 at 11:29 pm }

With all the ranting and raving Megan went on with tonight no-one could say their dish had the ‘love’ factor either. I’m surprised Andy didn’t take to her with a cleaver.

29 brain dead dave { 03.19.12 at 11:36 pm }

Tonight Megan and Andy cooked from the fists. Thought I was watching Jerry Springer.