My Kitchen Rules – The Jury Needs To Be Impartial

It was difficult not to tear up when David and Scott were eliminated. As Leigh said “The world would be a better place if there were more people like them in it”. Hopefully she learnt something from them about being a decent person. Hopefully this will not be the last time we see or hear of the boys. Their laconic sense of humour and their camaraderie was lovely to watch on screen.

David and Scott did more for promoting the Australian Defence Forces then any advertisements over the years. They were great guys. And hopefully Yumi Stynes (who I am a fan of) and George Negus have been watching the show and just realising how ridiculous their comments were THAT day on The Circle. I am not going to get into a debate about that furore here, however I will say one thing, it was the type a conversation a person would have at 19 at University whilst smoking joint – most people grow up.

David and Scott did deserve to be in the elimination challenge after they were rushed trying to finish their seafood mornay.

However it did appear tonight the jury were voting more on who they thought should be in the elimination cook off rather then what the food was like. You can see how they scored the teams here.

Meg thought it was time for some of the teams who had not been in an elimination challenge to be in one. Thomas said” We love Helen and Steve, anything they touch turns to gold”.  Him and Carla gave out a few tens in their scoring on this episode, obviously wanting their favourites to get through.

Also Angela said she would like the South Australian girls do it tough.

The first challenge was to cook with cheese. The good news was they could pick any cheese they liked.

Leigh and Jen made Four Cheese Borak with Skordalia. The judges said they went well together. Peter criticised Leigh for taking so long to make the skordalia and just standing over the food process. This from a person who topped and tailed beans one at at time!

Steve and Helen made Spinach and Cheese Gozleme apparently they were superb.

David and Scott made a seafood mornay, and they were struggling with time.  They were rushed in the end and only stuck it under the grill for ten seconds. This meant breadcrumbs were not toasted and the scallops were raw.

Megan and Andy making Cheese Arancini Balls with Tomato relish. Pete said they were cooked perfectly, and Manu said great blue cheese flavour, whereas Angela and Justine thought the blue cheese over powered it. They scored them a one.

Carly and Emily made Four Cheese Ravioli, and the judges said it was the best pasta they had had in the competition so far.

Nic and Rocco made Lemon Cheesecake the judges thought the mergingue was sloppy and the curd was not as good as it should be.

Jen and Leigh were sent to elimination by they jury.  Peter as the jury’s foreman said it was laziness and one of them was not pulling their weight. Yes that side eye was at you Leigh.

Pete and Manu also sent David and Scott to the elimination.

David and Scott were cooking lobster with gnocchi and seafood sauce they got great scores but could not beat Leigh and Jennifer’s Mulloway with celeriac and beurre rouge.

With all the villains on My Kitchen Rules David and Scott proved you can be entertaining without being bitchy or machivellian.

1 littlepetal { 03.21.12 at 7:36 am }

Now I think Jen is not as bad as they want us to think she is. I always look out for her to see how she behaves when she is i not cooking. I have seen her cheering like crazy for the sisters, commenting how good some of the dishes were etc.

Tonight it actually showed she is a decent person. She felt really bad cooking against the boys as if they win they will be the one sending the boys home. Comments she made before has never been malicious but just giving her views. I can’t believe I am actually defending her!!!!! I actually like her now!!!!

MKR has now lost the plot. The jury is a dumb idea. Scoring was very inconsistent. T&C giving out three 10s. So Peter and Manu must have poor taste if they did find some faults with Nic and Rocco cheesecake whereas some of the other including T&C scored them a 10.

I think it is also pathetic to use the reason that it was laziness and one of them was not pulling their weight and thus you got the lowest score. It should have been the food that they were judging and if the food is good even if 1 person is cooking, there is noting wrong with it. Why can’t the jury just say the food was crap?

If the judging includes how they work in the kitchen, Thomas should have been long gone. His bench was messy and food everywhere.

I am happy Leigh and Jen got through. At this stage it is sad to see them get eliminated but I am not sad to see Megan and Andy goes.

2 sue N { 03.21.12 at 7:53 am }

I agree – MKR is in danger of derailing like Masterchef! what is it with producers that they have to take something good and add so many gimmicks that it turns into shite!!!!

The jury needs a good talking to, or it has to be a blind tasting- mind you I think they would be able to marry some dishes with who cooked them anyway. I think overall (yes, I have changed my mind) that the jury is just a BAD idea!!!

The jury is in danger of ruining a great show and losing lots of viewers- can they not see this?????????? grrr :(

P.S. I am not saying David & Scott didn’t deserve to be in the final 2, but what awesome guys and a credit to themselves and the defence forces.

P.P.S. I too like Jen, and think maybe her directness is partially her command of English (she did grow up o’seas), plus her character, lol :). But she has never been bitchy, just forthright. Angela and Justine’s scores last night were appalling, and just sour grapes, and Simon & Meg- ditto!!!!!!

3 Georgie { 03.21.12 at 7:53 am }

Where the hell does Carla get off saying “the ones who’ve had it easy up to now”. So what does that mean?

Those you were referring to haven’t had it any easier than anyone else FGS, they’ve just avoided elimination cook-offs because they can cook, well, consistently, you dumb bimbo.

4 Isabel { 03.21.12 at 8:03 am }

Agree with everything that’s already been said. I was disgusted at the bitchiness from just about all the ‘jury’ last night – what bad sports they are – their real characters out there for us all to see. Let’s hope the Tassies are the next to go …

5 littlepetal { 03.21.12 at 8:09 am }

I read Justine live blog and when asked whether she thinks she and Angela are better than some of the remaining teams and she said yes. But baby, you got eliminated.

6 Jen- Why { 03.21.12 at 8:12 am }

Yes, Georgie! Carla’s comment made me rile- they’ve had it “easy” because they cooked well & impressively, two things Thomas & Carla never achieved. I was also appalled at Angela’s comments- she was on the other side of it just the night before- as someone wrote yesterday a bit of compassion wouldn’t go astray. The jury are delusional. I’m not religious, but I think the quote “take the log out of your own eye before you take the twig out of someone else’s” might apply here. Grrrrr… Infuriating!

7 kleenex mum { 03.21.12 at 8:51 am }

Couldnt agree more with whats already been written, but again Meagn and her hair………. disappointed that this show has gone to shit with several mean, jealous and sore losers decideing who should go, no need to name them they know who they are…..

8 nanaliz { 03.21.12 at 9:37 am }

Just saw D & S on sunrise. David is back in Army and has just been injured in some war games they are doing at the moment. He was talking from Townsville Hospital. Scott obviously out of Army now. They really are lovely guys. No bitchyness there.

9 CJ { 03.21.12 at 9:41 am }

I think the reason a jury of eliminated peers works so well on survivor is because people know from the start it will play a factor. It impacts on the contestants’ behaviour from day one. They also get to watch (in MKR it would equate to watch and taste) for a long time before casting any vote. Bitterness about being eliminated can disperse somewhat. They also don’t have a say in who is eliminated just who wins at the end. I think that model of a jury would work better for MKR.

10 ron - Giddy Up { 03.21.12 at 9:43 am }

Why would you want a Jury of the least best cooks to Judge the best cooks , it beats me. That would be like a non Tradesman sacking a tradesman. Lose the Jury or lose me, or is channel seven Biased too. Get it right , leave it to the Judges .

11 seepi { 03.21.12 at 9:56 am }

That should be :

I liked the army guys but they had such constant blank poker faces it was a bit wierd. Maybe an army thing?

12 nanaliz { 03.21.12 at 9:57 am }

Like everybody else, I was very not happy with jury. Dilusional people who get more power is dangerous. OK S&D where probably ready to go (even they said they were out of there depth) but Jen and Leigh should not have been in elinimation last night going on judges comments. I have never liked J&L but they showed a diffrent side last night. Jury must not come back next year please.

13 Bolders { 03.21.12 at 9:58 am }

Peter and Justine: Those that can’t do, criticise.

Peter strikes me as someone bitterly disappointed that life hasnt made him the superstar that he thinks he is. So this little opportunity to expound on, let’s face it, a skill he’s barely competent at, has justified is overfed ego. He was slightly enteraining at the begining before we all became aware of what a fraud he is. But now, he’s become a caricature and I’m tired of watching the Peter Show. Just go away.

14 sue N { 03.21.12 at 10:04 am }

nanaliz- why do you say it’s obvious Scott is out of the army now??? Is he??? :)

15 nanaliz { 03.21.12 at 10:09 am }

Blank poker faces can be an army thing, seepi, when doing a task they are trained like that. Anal I think. I’m an Army Mum and even mowing the lawn is done in a certain manner. Quite a giggle. I feel like saluting at times.

16 Debbie { 03.21.12 at 10:16 am }

If they must bring the others back as a jury, I think it needs to be a blind tasting. Don’t have them in there when the cooking is being done and have them vote without knowing who has cooked what…that’s the only way to make it fair and unbiased and based soley on the food.
MKR is not and should never be considered a strategic game, its a cooking competition and the best cooks should win!
The jury is really putting me off the show.

17 nanaliz { 03.21.12 at 10:16 am }

The guys were talking on sunrise and David said he took long service leave but no mention of Scott and I am sure I read one was in reserves now which often happens after leaving full time duty. I could be wrong, just educated guess.

18 littlepetal { 03.21.12 at 10:28 am }

Justine also said in the live blog that she don’t agree with the eliminated teams in the jury as their scoring could be bias. Guess what? Justine, you did the same thing and you were bias with your scores.

My earlier agreement to the jury doing the judging was I thought all the eliminated teams can only vote for 1 team to go into the elimination round (not scoring each dish) and they all have to agree on 1 team. But no, Channel 7 think it will be better if they all get to score!!!!

I was really fuming last night.

19 Calliegirl { 03.21.12 at 10:48 am }

Agree with everyone. IF they persist next time and have a Jury of their peers – then it needs to be ‘blind tasting’. It is horrible the way it is. Talk about ‘sour grapes’!! Or should it be called ‘Revenge’! Not liking it one little bit – so unfair.

20 nanaliz { 03.21.12 at 10:53 am }

Here is sunrise interview with David and Scott.

21 littlepetal { 03.21.12 at 11:08 am }

Thanks, nanliz.

22 Jruth { 03.21.12 at 11:52 am }

It’s very interesting having a look at the jury’s scores and considering the strategies the eliminated teams must be using. EVERYONE must have wanted Princess and her Florist Friend to go into the elimination because they all scored them incredibly poorly (1 x 4, 4 x 2 and 1 x 1). But Peter and Gary actually gave Carly and Emily (who I thought were their sworn enemies) an 8! Angela and Justine obviously wanted to stick it to Megan and Andy for beating them in the elimination the night before by giving them a 1 (all others on the jury gave 6, 7 or 8)? Very interesting!!

23 sue N { 03.21.12 at 11:57 am }

I hope David & Scott talk to the others and get the jury to be more fair- if we have to have it at all!!!!! I think D&S will be pretty horrified when they find out how the jury has been scoring and their comments!

24 Bruiser Brody { 03.21.12 at 11:59 am }

IDEA: IF they insist on having the farce that is the jury (aka those that can’t cook well/ on time/ show any palette) there should be a default score involved relating to where you were knocked out which reflects your suitability to score based on your baseline retardation…ie Andrew knocked out first, can give lowest score of 7, so if he wants to give a dish a 1, then its an automatic 8! Lord Peter Such, lowest score 6, gives a 1, then its an automatic 7…and so on…
They have no right or justification to give such demeaning scores when they obviously have no talent! ie Jen’s dish had only 1 complaint from PROFESSIONALS, but apparently the real downfall (and why is this muppet speaking on BEHALF of the jury??) is that “when I go to a Chinese restaurant I want more than 1 spring roll” WTF?!?!? Laziness??? Remember you idiots working the food processor on your awesome mash?
Give yerself an uppercut and STFU!!!

25 nanaliz { 03.21.12 at 12:21 pm }

What does his honour know about food that isn’t from 70′ womens weekly recipe book. For a start J&L did not make chinese spring roll, but a turkish skordalia. deeerrrr Peter know it all. What got me was jury comments about certain dishes didn’t match scores. I am not violent but last nighht I felt like belting several jury members with their snide comments.

26 Caz { 03.21.12 at 12:31 pm }

The thing I dislike about reality shows is the nastiness and cattiness that goes with them. MKR (the only reality show I now watch) had seemed to buck the trend in this area, but with the “jury” it’s falling into the same disturbing freefall. I was soooooo close to turning the show off last night – comments like “they have had an easy run” disgusted me – maybe some have had an easy run – but only because they have been clever in what they have produced by ensuring everything they produce is high quality. The worst offenders in the jury “I’m a disgusting person” crew obviously don’t have half the talent they think they have – after all they were eliminated – you could go so far as to say they are “losers”. Some great people in the jury – but please don’t let your ethics get pulled down. Can’t we have one show on TV that celebrates ability and success without tearing anyone down?

27 anton { 03.21.12 at 12:34 pm }

Can’t agree more! Get rid off the jury especially that one idiot – you know who I am talking about. After yesterday we are not watching MKR anymore.
And what about Angela and Justin – 1 for Megan and Andy for Arancini balls? Halloo
Especially from person who even does not know how to make basic dough!

28 PollyB { 03.21.12 at 12:42 pm }

This is all the producers doing. To me, Peter is so obviously following script when he hands up, volunteers to point out downfalls every night. The edits are created to turn it into just another reality bitch fest. Last year was so about the cooking and this year obviously isn’t. Carla & Tom anyone?

29 Marie { 03.21.12 at 12:57 pm }

Since when has doing well in a competition warranted punishment? That is just not how it should work. Georgie, I agree about Carla’s comments about: “the ones who’ve had it easy up to now”. Ugh, I was yelling at the TV that the ones who are doing well have not had it easy! they have been in the exact same competition but they have performed better. Jealously and bitterness, pure and simple. Peter, Meg, Carla, Angela and even at times Andrew and Emma are being horrid. Is it just me or are we not getting much screen time of Sam and Jillian? They seem to be voting fairly.

I feel like there could be some interesting study on pack mentalities or something, the way that previously ‘nice’ contestants have turned awful being a part of that jury. It is comforting to know that S&D will not descend to such petty and malicious tactics at least. Surely having been in the same competition the Jury should be occupied with being as fair as possible as they have been in that situation and their integrity should guide them to want the most deserving team to win, whether or not you like or dislike them. Favouring people like Steve and Helen well, personally I think Steve and Helen seem like the kind of people who would only want to do well if they deserved it.

30 Fides { 03.21.12 at 12:59 pm }

I’ve decided not to comment or read the blog on episodes which have me fuming, because it never helps, it just riles me up some more. Will say that I do agree with all of the above about how unpleasant it is to watch this spitefulness.

However my question is : if the elimination challenges for this week are going to be the same format to cook a signature dish, what would have happened if Megan and Andy were in the bottom 2 again? Would they have to make another signature dish…my impression of a signature dish would be that it’s the one stand-out, tried-and-true dish that best represents you?

31 Chunks { 03.21.12 at 1:12 pm }

So I think we have a consensus: the jury stinks and is full of failed also-rans giving scores for personal reasons. Hope you’re listening MKR because EVERYone who watches has the same opinion. However I think the fact that Peter scored Carly and Emily an 8 shows that he is in fact hamming it up and playing the villain now rather than actually being one. Pretty clear that the SA girls have not been popular with their fellow contestants but they are still the most consistent and contemporary cooks on the show and should be in the final two if there’s any justice in the world. It won’t be the same without David and Scott though.

32 littlepetal { 03.21.12 at 1:26 pm }

The MKR forum is also bombarded with people fuming with last night episode. MKR really lost the plot this time.

33 Corey { 03.21.12 at 1:38 pm }

I think the producers are getting exactly what they want out of this, people talking about it. It is so obvious that Peter is towing the producers line and he is doing a great job of it, yeah he comes across of a bit of a fool, but like all the contestants we will forget about them 1 week after the show.

34 brain dead dave { 03.21.12 at 2:04 pm }

Alas MKR , I knew thee well.

Now we have Jealous Jury Rules.

35 Drb123 { 03.21.12 at 2:26 pm }

This jury of their failed peers is a debacle. It has ruined the show, it has allowed the politics to control the game like Survivor and reduced the reward for great cooing.

36 brain dead dave { 03.21.12 at 2:33 pm }

The idea is so bad, I’m concerned that Ma$terchef will pinch it.

If the producers want to improve MKR ,they could start by pixellating Megan’s hair,eyebrows and teeth and providing subtitles for Manu’s commentary.

37 Fides { 03.21.12 at 2:51 pm }

I have faith in the idiocy of the producers, that since they’re combining as many rtv elements as they can into one show, the winner will be decided by a public vote…that’s about how ridiculous this current situation is.

38 littlepetal { 03.21.12 at 2:54 pm }

But the final 2 will have to have a dance off. They need to waltz their way when cooking.

39 Fides { 03.21.12 at 3:07 pm }

What a great idea, Manu will have special insight into judging that. And I remember Geo from MC saying a team working well in the kitchen looks like ballet, so it all makes perfect sense!

40 nanaliz { 03.21.12 at 3:15 pm }

Everyone hates the jury system of judging but check out the 1.8Mill plus viewers again last night. Producers do what we hate and get more viewers. As it was so bitchy last night, numbers watching should go up again.

41 brain dead dave { 03.21.12 at 3:23 pm }

I thought they might be doing a salsa. When George is really pumped and bouncing ,he goes from ballet to :
“Boom ,boom -shake the room”
If MKR was a ballet it’d be Swan Lake, but with a golden goo$e dying at the end as the jealous jury concept is converted into ratings. Geez, I just read your blog,nanaliz and they’re “big numbers” to quote TBL. You don’t have to be a brain sturgeon to see that. Will it last?

42 Bruiser Brody { 03.21.12 at 3:39 pm }

Status update on Scott:
Has quit the army as he is now doing South East Asian cooking tours with Jen & Leigh with his wife (tour operator!). Also has invested all his coin in floating restaurant in Thailand…

Brilliantly, the first thing he did when entering the jury was word them up on what vindictive dckheads they were being! Hopefully see some footage!!

43 nanaliz { 03.21.12 at 3:45 pm }

YES…….You tell them Scott and David. Great info Bruiser Brody. Even if others stay dickheads, S&D too honest good guys. Good luck to Scott and J&L in there new business venture. Hope Davids op went well with only minor damage.

44 Maddii { 03.21.12 at 3:50 pm }

How can it be considered a competition if the “jury” get to decide the fate of much better cooks?
Peter and Gary? get real. How hard is it REALLY to make mashed potatoes? You couldn’t do it….

Thomas and Carla? The sloppiest and dirtiest cooks I have ever seen.

Sam and Jillian? More Shoe and Choux.

I think it is time for this series to end for this year and come back with a new recipe. Equal quantities of Fairness, Ability, Humility and Talent would go down well.

45 Andrea { 03.21.12 at 4:07 pm }

Hope channel 7 and MKR are taking notes of all these comments. Its obvious we all agree the jury is a very bad idea. They have copied it from Survivor and it may work there but not on a cooking show. we want the best cooks to win, SIMPLE! Nick and Rocco, much as we all like them and know they are good cooks, also had some negative comments from the judges so really they should have been in the last two as well. Actually if the jury were smart they would have put the best cooks up for elimination but they didn’t as they are voting for their favourites and not playing fair. Very disappointing last night, just leave scoring to the judges please!

46 Georgie { 03.21.12 at 4:26 pm }

Anyone know how to start a ‘Boooo Hisssss’ campaign on Ch7 or MKR’s twitter?

I’m not twitter-literate! :-)

47 sue N { 03.21.12 at 6:51 pm }

So if Bruiser’s info is correct, & I hope it is :), that NI article the other week saying that Jen & Leigh were no longer friends (or was it TV week??? don’t remember, only read them while in the shop, don’t buy them, lol) is a load of bullshite too…sigh it’s so hard to know what to believe these days! 😉 jury idea is a crock of shite tho’

48 Linny { 03.21.12 at 8:03 pm }

Article I read said Scott is doing tours with Jen and his wife(who get on well) and Helen is acting as their travel agent. Didn’t mention Leigh.

49 Megan { 03.21.12 at 8:46 pm }

The advertising for this week pretty much summed it up apparently (I’m not watching, thought I’d just read your comments and decide whether it was worth putting up with the jury – I’ll watch when they advertise minus the jury, but don’t watch anything much else on 7, so that might be it for a while).

50 Letture addizionali { 08.06.13 at 12:25 pm }

Exceptional post however I was wanting to know if
you could write a litte more on this topic?
I’d be very thankful if you could elaborate a little bit further. Bless you!