My Kitchen Rules – We Have The Final Four

Of course the best cook on the day should win this year’s series of My Kitchen Rules, however I would not mind seeing Andy and Megan take out the prize on the show. There is something I really like about Andy, and it is always fun watching Megan’s roller coaster of emotions. However chances of them winning  must be pretty low.

If they producers go with the jury system next year they need to fix up the flaws. They  should not be allowed to see the teams cook as I think this can colour how they judge the food. Also as some commentators have suggest a blind tasting system could make things interesting.

As Andy said “Let’s hope they like it and that they don’t just do that strategic vote carry on.”

The challenge for the five remaining teams was to cook with citrus.

Rocco and Nic were making Limoncello Chicken. Pete said they had turned something good into something amazing. However Manu said it was nice but not amazing.

Emily and Carly made Lemon Tart and Manu said every element was perfect.

Helen and Steve were making Pork Fricasee with egg and lemon sauce. The pork was overcooked.

Megan and Andy made Citrus Cake and Orange Syrup. Andy was really ratty the whole way through at Megan. Yes she is a little slap dash. He was not happy about a few things she was or in fact was not doing. That is not keeping an eye on the sugar syrup, not pouring the toffee out properly, and also no quinnels of cream on the judges plate.

However to be fair to Megan, Andy does seem to cruise along thinking the time is never going to end. He said “I can’t believe there are no quinnels on the judges plate.” And that was what they were criticised for.

Jen and Leigh making Chocolate Orange Surprise with Filo Cigars. The judges tried to freak them out about the amount the chocolate in it, however the judges loved the dish.

Andy and Megan were sent to the sudden-death cook off by the jury. Peter said that he disagreed with them being there. From the scores they gave (see here) it would appear Peter and Gary thought Nic and Rocco made the worst dish.

Helen and Steve were also in the bottom two. Both teams had to cook their signature dish.

Megan and Andy  cooked Seafood Jambayala, and Helen and Steve were making Chicken Roulade with a Spinach Salad. Helen and Steve have cooked Greek every time  except they did do an asian dish once in the banquet for friends and family.

Megan accidentally poured the crab water out before she had cooked all the crabs. However this time Andy and Megan were not getting as uptight as each other as they did in the previous challenge.

Even though the judges were very positive about Helen and Steve’s dish but really their scores were not great all the judges gave a six. For a total of 36 out of 60.

Megan and Andy whipped it in with eight and nines from the judges for a very solid 50 out of 60.

The final four are Jen and Leigh, Carly and Emily, Nic and Rocco and Andy and Megan. Tonight it will be decided who will face off against whom in the semi-finals.

1 sue N { 03.24.12 at 8:26 am }

just curious- are we not getting a recap of the last episode? :) the face-off one where they cooked to see who went against whom in the semis??? :)

2 littlepetal { 03.24.12 at 8:40 am }

sue N – I hope RR is o.k. Not sure why no recap and nothing from RR for a while.

I also hope the rumour about Jen and Leigh fall out is not true. Cook it be Jen and Leigh won and the move to Syd is a career move?

Many of the blogs (which I read) on other sites also have people who don’t like the sisters even though they could cook.

I read one of the interviews with the sis where they said the judges love Jen and even if she served crap they will still say it is lovely. Could this be jealousy that they did better than them?

3 nanaliz { 03.24.12 at 10:36 am }

Morning all, perrhaps RR is having more computer problems or she has been in trasit from OS. Anyway we have all seemed to be alble to amuse ourselves in the meantime but we miss you RR. Come back soon.!!!!

4 sue N { 03.24.12 at 10:36 am }

littlepetal- I was thinking the same re RR- hope all is ok…

I agree re the sisters and jealousy about Jen’s cooking abilities- methinks jealousy may have reared it’s ugly head with a few of the contestants (WA/QLD GC/NZ- I am looking at you too !!)

5 Georgie { 03.24.12 at 10:46 am }

For what it’s worth, during the intro to the last show (Thursday night) I saw a few editing bungles in terms of continuity.

They showed a shot of Carly and Emily walking toward the camera through one side of the MKR kitchen and both girls were in their own outfits.
Next shot was still in the kitchen but taken from the side and showed them in the same outfits but with their MKR aprons on.
The next shot showed the other contestants on the steps where they assemble as a group and they all had their MKR aprons on.
Then in the next shot, still on the steps, Carly and Emily had joined the group and no-one had the MKR apron on?
These shots were shown one after the other to give the impression it was all being filmed in one take.

Just an observation…

6 nanaliz { 03.24.12 at 11:38 am }

I have been checking out a couple of the other blog sites …..scary places in some of them… and racism and other phobias seem to play a big part in likes and dislikes there. WA definately seems jealous that others can cook and they can’t. Meg’s interview didn’t show any jealousy. I suspect a lot of it is subterfuse to suck us in to keep watching and guess what? It is working.

7 Dunbi { 03.24.12 at 12:03 pm }

The official site is dreadful. Whirlpool isn’t bad but RR is definitely the best. Hope all is OK RR

8 nanaliz { 03.24.12 at 12:08 pm }

Yeah Dunbi, that is the way I see the other blogs. I believe we are having more seafood stew from you know who. This time it is in a cobb loaf. Yawn!!!

9 Dunbi { 03.24.12 at 12:52 pm }

Isn’t that a bit 70’s? Maybe they got the recipe from P and G!

10 Andrea { 03.24.12 at 2:07 pm }

I don’t know what’s wrong with RR either. Now you know why I was questioning why we hardly get any recaps of Biggest Loser . It seems that we all want to comment about both these shows but for some reason its just not happening lately. STRANGE!

11 littlepetal { 03.24.12 at 2:56 pm }

RR-We are all thinking of you. Please tell us you are o.k.

12 Fides { 03.24.12 at 3:41 pm }

nanaliz – thanks for pointing out re Scott’s many years of savings from the defence force for his new venture. So perhaps it is part of the prizemoney that’s Jen’s contribution… I think going on a food tour with Jen would be a lot of fabulous and even better if Scott was there too. Jen seems fun, enthusiastic and she knows her stuff. It’s the only food tour from among reality contestants I would consider going on though Kumar’s tour of Sri Lanka would be ok too.

I’ve never warmed to the sisters. They seem quite aloof, esp Carly. And their commentaries are always predictable – they talk about what a big risk they’re taking (eg making pastry in the campervans challenge, the Japanese seafood platter having never cooked Japanese before, the 30 minute laksa and Peking duck) and how they’re so worried they’re being too ambitious, but it always seems to not only work well, but brilliantly for them in the end. I guess that is the set-up for all teams to build the drama (though slightly different for Darl and Darlin’ who create their own drama), but maybe it’s that Emily doesn’t seem to stop talking, that you hear on and on about how worried they are etc.

And the sister dynamic is interesting too – was it the same last year with the sisters who won? (I skipped the entire series last year, all I know is that 2 sisters from my local area won) It’s like even if you didn’t know much about Carly or Emily, you can tell which is older just by their interaction – I wonder if a younger sister ever gets to be the bossy one, or gets to tell the older sister off. Carly does that a lot to Emily, it’s never the other way around.

RR was on twitter yesterday, so hopefully it’s just computer issues.

13 nanaliz { 03.24.12 at 4:54 pm }

Just spent some time re-reading all popsugar elimination interviews to see if I could get an idea of who got on with who. Hope it is not too confusing but I found a couple of surprises and a bit of fun.

S & H Liked all and Carly & Rocco beautiful people.
S & D Nobody they didn’t get on with. Particularly liked E&A, S&H, Jen and Peter
J & A Thomas and N&R, didn’t say who but disliked some.
M & S Liked M&A, S&H, David
T & C Liked D&S, S&H and Sam
G & P Liked D&S, M&A, S&H,S&J and T&C
S & J Liked all but L&J and J&A
A & E Liked C&E, N&R, M&A,D&S

14 Georgie { 03.24.12 at 5:00 pm }

I like Carly and Emily and have from the beginning. I think they’re really lovely, polite, sensible young ladies and great cooks. I don’t mind Leigh and Jennifer either (sighs yeah) and I believe it will be an all girl final between these four.

At this stage though, I don’t really mind who wins as long as it’s not Megan and Andy because their skills are so limited – seafood.

15 Fides { 03.24.12 at 5:56 pm }

nanaliz – that’s the hardest I’ve had to think all day! Thank you :)

I expect J and L to breeze through tomorrow, despite those misleading previews. The 2nd semi final will be the more interesting – those two teams are more evenly matched though I think C & E are all round stronger. I’d love to see an all girl final, mainly because of the similarity in their cooking styles.

Here’s a thought though – if the winners end up not being N & R or C & E, and they stay together, maybe in the future Carly and Rocco can re-apply as a team 😉

16 nanaliz { 03.24.12 at 6:32 pm }

Don’t worry Fides, my head still hurts. I had to thunk too hard. I think it means that Steve and Helen and David and Scott are favorites while Justine and Angela are bitches. Obviously not everyone in any situation will end up buds.
I really don’t mind who wins as long as darl and darling don’t win.

17 littlepetal { 03.24.12 at 7:54 pm }

nanalitz-What a brain workout!!!! but thanks for putting it up. I have read all their interviews on popsugar but find it hard to summarise the results. You should be doing the Queensland polling results tonight!!!

18 nanaliz { 03.24.12 at 8:16 pm }

The pole count won’t take long. Thank goodness we have austar so we don’t have to listen to all the talking heads. I probably should have put names instead of initials. I kept forgetting who I meant. Trouble of being a senior citizen. Early night for old girl.