Cassi Van Den Dungen Reveals That Her Baby Has Some Health Issues

Cassi Van Den Dungen has given an exclusive article to the Australian Woman’s Weekly (out Wednesday) about motherhood.

The Herald Sun (pay wall) reports that her baby Drake was born with a cleft lip and palate. He will need surgery to fix it. She also told the magazine it had also been a tough six months for her and her fiance Brad who is nearly ten years older then her.

Cassi was not paid for the interview as she just wanted to highlight the issue of cleft palate something that effect one in 700 children.

1 Mahlia { 03.26.12 at 10:07 am }

Plastic surgeons have been dealing with this problem for a long time and do a wonderful repair job these days.
I feel for Cassie, it must be very confronting when you’ve just given birth to know your child will need surgery to fix a defect.

2 Andrea { 03.26.12 at 11:58 am }

I know someone who had three children born with this problem and after the surgery they look the same as anyone else, its amazing what they can do. It would still be a shock and very upsetting for Cassie but I guess it could have been worse such as a life threatening disease for the child. Good luck Cassie!

3 Rachel { 03.26.12 at 1:00 pm }

Good on her for creating more awareness to the issue of cleft palate.

4 Anissa { 03.29.12 at 7:22 am }

My daughter will be 18 this year and she was born with a Bilateral cleft lip and palate.She is amazgingly beautiful. I dont think you could say health issues as yes, they require surgery but they are no different than you or I. Plastic surgery these days is amazing. All the best to you

5 Justin { 03.30.12 at 10:23 am }

Our wonderful daughter Alice was born with a unilateral cleft and has the biggest most beautiful smile in the world.
There is a wonderful group dedicated to helping cleft kids and their parents.
Also I cannot rave enough about the support group on facebook either
For any help or support you cannot go past these resources.

6 Anonymous { 05.03.12 at 3:01 pm }

maybe it was all that smoking she did.

7 anonymous { 04.25.14 at 6:08 am }

So as a mother I feel terrible putting this out there, but have to be honest… Dietary deficiencies have been found to increase risk of cleft palate. It doesn’t have to be anorexia, but even too much protein and not enough fruits and vegetables can cause developmental problems for a baby.