My Kitchen Rules – Semi-Final Number One – Jennifer and Leigh Versus Andy and Megan

First of all the previous episode blog post was done, but clearly I did not press the publish button properly so apologies.

In summary it just said that the way they picked who was cooking off against whom in the semi-finals was entirely fair giving the teams two challenges to gain points to decide positions.

Tonight we had the top of the table Jennifer and Leigh, facing off against the bottom team, Megan and Andy.

Jennifer and Leigh were cooking Confit of Murry Cod with Spring Onions, Ginger and Fennel, main Twice Cooked Pigeon with Farro and Beetroot Puree, and for dessert they cooked Chocolate & Earl Gray Tea Tart with Chocolate Chantilly.

Megan and Andy cooked Sesame Seed Pork Rice Paper Rolls, Rich Seafood Chowder served in a Cobbler, and dessert was Chocolate Marquise with Creme Anglaise and Almond Tuiles.

It would have been good to see the under dogs Megan and Andy get in the finale but it was always going to be struggle.

There was the usual tension in the kitchen with the Tassie team. Andy was freaking out that Megan was not measuring the ingredients to the sauce for the pork rolls. He said to her “Don’t be a knob”. She told him she thought it was perfect. I note she did not offer him a taste. Lucky for her she was not criticised by the judges for it.

However she was also criticising his under cooking of the pork, and he thought medium rare was fine for pork.

Manu was trying to whip up some fear and loathing about the South Australian girls Confit of Fish saying the oil was too hot and they were deep frying it. Which was bollocks as there was barely a ripple in the oil.

Guy Grossi said the fish was perfectly cooked all the way through.

Also Andy dodged a bullet with the pork. Manu thought the meat was going to be undercooked but he said the pork was melt in your mouth.

Andy was concerned about leaving shell in the stock for the Seafood Chowder but it was fine. However Megan tasted the seafood chowder and she thought it was too creamy and needed more stock in it. Andy was displeased and told her basically to shut up as she had never cooked it before.

However Jen and Leigh were also having issues with the pigeon, as when they first tested the pigeon it was raw. Jennifer quickly cut off the breasts and stuck them under the grill. Their plating up of the dish looked fantastic and vibrant.

The judges thought the seafood chowder had a great flavour, and Pete said it was a superb seafood dish.

Guy Grossi thought the pigeon breast could be a little underdone and Karen thought the skin was not crispy enough. Guy liked the farro, however Liz got a piece of gravel in the farro, and Karen Martini confessed that she may have also eaten a piece.

The judges thought the girls Earl Gray Tart was great and again their presentation was impeccable. Pete loved that you could taste the tea. Tobie said he would not like it to be any stronger, and Guy said he could not pick a fault in the dessert.

Karen thought the Tassie team’s Marquise was light as it should be and Guy thought it was a classic combination.

Andy and Megan’s scores were a seven from Karen, Guy gave an eight, Tobie gave an eight, and Liz gave a seven. Pete and Manu both gave eights. For a combined total score of 46 out of 60. This was never going to  be good enough to get them in the finale.

Leigh and Jennifer scored an eight from Liz, an eight from Karen, Tobie gave a nine, and Guy gave a nine as did Pete and Manu and they scored 52 out of 60. They are the first team into the finale on Tuesday night.

1 littlepetal { 03.26.12 at 6:56 am }

Wonder why there was no comment on the portion of the chowder. To me it looked more like an entree rather than a mains.

I have learnt not to listen to the comments from the judges as their scores don’t tie in with their comments. I guess the producers want to keep us guessing with the results.

I am glad that the Princess get through and will be an interesting final whether against the boys or the girls. My guess is against the boys.

2 Georgie { 03.26.12 at 7:30 am }

Twice cooked pigeon? It wasn’t even cooked once! The deep red colour of the breast looked lost on the gravelly brown ‘runway’ of farro with deep red beetroot purée. I doubt any of the judges would have eaten the pigeon.

I’m glad the girls got through but I think they were scored on their past, their versatility and their potential and definitely not on their main last night.

3 Isabel { 03.26.12 at 7:39 am }

Megan and Andy are very unattractive to look at when they are not happy with the result … I agree it was close and I thought they’d win, but I think Georgie is right – the girls were perhaps judged on their overall versatility of which Megan and Andy have very little.

4 nanaliz { 03.26.12 at 8:02 am }

Thank goodness Megan and Andy are gone. Theree is only so many ways to serve seafood bisque. That horrid word NICE but boring and low skill levels I believe were their downfall last night.
OMG just saw on Sunrise that Megan and Andy got married and not a knife in sight.

5 Georgie { 03.26.12 at 8:13 am }

nanaliz – I bet I know what they served at the reception.

Seafood Splatter*

*quote bdd

6 kleenex mum { 03.26.12 at 8:32 am }

When darl and darling started with babe and baby i nearly turned off the tv, thank god it stopped and went back to ……………….darl and darling. aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh, i to thought leigh and jen would be gone but over all they leave there comfort zone and plate up different styles off food the darls use the same seafood and plate it differently, i wonder if the taste does vary….. glad they are gone.

7 Calliegirl { 03.26.12 at 8:57 am }

I think Manu summed up Darl and Darling when he said they did ‘simple cooking’. Not really good enough for a MKR final. They need more modern, out of the box type cooking.

8 nanaliz { 03.26.12 at 9:24 am }

Nic and Rocco, Carly, Emma and Andrew and Jillian were at Andy and Megan’s wedding. Meg and Simon couldn’t make it. The wedding was at a winery in WA and she looked great.

9 Dunbi { 03.26.12 at 10:13 am }

Yes, the girls were definitely scored on past performances. Raw pigeon and gravel did not deserve the score they received. However, glad they got through, they are the better cooks.

10 Shelsta78 { 03.26.12 at 10:41 am }

I think the right team won – even though not perfect Leigh & Jen’s overall 3 courses used a lot more technical skill than Megan & Andy. Last night their meal showed a key difference between MKR and last season’s MC where contestants were clearly told not to cook anything that couldn’t be sourced in a Coles supermarket.

I’ll be interested to see how the success of this season of MKR has impacted format changes in MC.

I missed the ep where they got put in the pairs cooking off against each other – do you think producers pitted the new couple against each other on purpose?

11 Andrea { 03.26.12 at 11:38 am }

The pigeon dish looked awful to me, I wouldn’t have eaten it and I don’t think they deserved to get through based on that, especially with judges finding gravel in it, I think anyone else would have got a really low score with that offering.However, based on past results the judges wanted them to get through. Megan and Andy served up another seafood slop but it did look good served in the cob loaves and they didn’t make any mistakes this time so it was just bad luck for them.

12 AnnyB { 03.26.12 at 11:43 am }

nanaliz, I agree, Megan looked really lovely. Did you notice that Jennifer said that she looked on Megan as a daughter? I wonder if Sam has been sidelined.

13 littlepetal { 03.26.12 at 11:44 am }

I think we have been poison by the judges comments. Since the last elimination when they gave glowing comments about Steve and Helen dishes and then gave them a 6, I know the producers did it on purpose to gave the impression that Jen and Leigh really did badly.

Megan an Andy entree was something very simple and I thought the pork was too rare.

I wonder how good was the Chocolate Marquise when Carly and Emily were really concern with the way Megan fold in the cream into the mixture as you need to fold it gently and Megan was really beating it in.

The comments for their dessert were just general that the combination of flavours were good.

Funny on the official site, there is an outcry of results being rigged etc etc. I think if Megan and Andy have won, they will also comment to say they don’t deserve to win or their dishes were too simple.

14 AnnyB { 03.26.12 at 12:00 pm }

Oops, change “Jennifer” to “Jillian”.

15 nanaliz { 03.26.12 at 12:08 pm }

I have really found the dynamics of relationships interesting this year, AnnyB. I don’t know if you saw my summary in revious eps post re who were friends with who, but Justine and Angela seemed to be the only ones not friends with anyone.
Just check out official site and some very angry bog…., I mean people over there venting about last nights result.

16 brain dead dave { 03.26.12 at 12:35 pm }

The looks on the seafood bogans faces were priceless when they realized they were going down. They’ve hung around this comp like a fart in a telephone box serving the same thing every week. Sloppy hygiene standards frequently on display. Wake up and smell the seafood bisque,darls.

17 Izobel2 { 03.26.12 at 12:52 pm }

I saw the Sunrise Wedding too.
On Andy & Megan’s wedding cake one of the tier’s had “darl” and “darling” written all over it. And the 2 little people on the cake had MKR aprons. Wow!
And note to the eyebrow haters out there. Her eyebrows looked good on the big day!
Glad Jen & Leigh are through to the final.
It was funny when Andy called Megan a ‘knob’! How romantic!

18 Georgie { 03.26.12 at 1:01 pm }

“I now pronounce you husband and knob”

19 brain dead dave { 03.26.12 at 4:40 pm }

I hope Andy made a better job of cutting up the wedding cake than he did hacking up that poor lobster…a lot of it ended up on the floor. I’m surprised those one trick bogans didn’t get married at a Barnacle Bill’s outlet.

20 Cherry Gripe { 03.26.12 at 4:46 pm }

Ha! Nice one, bdd :)

Pete said Megan and Andy were the people the show was built on. Really? Screechy bogans? It was pretty bloody funny when the lid flew off the food processor, spraying chunks of shell everywhere. Lucky someone didn’t end up with a claw in the eye.

21 Georgie { 03.26.12 at 7:51 pm }

Karen Martini has ‘blossomed’ in the last twelve months. She’ll be ready for an appearance on TBL soon.

22 urbangirl { 03.28.12 at 3:45 pm }

.did any one noticed how channel 7 is promoting Leigh and Jennifer from the beginning…..how pete and some of the judges overlooked all big faults by Leigh and Jennifer….gravel in ur food, under-cooked pigeon couldn’t stop the power of media while creating their celebrities, what a drama!!…it was pretty clear from the beginning that they will win…..may be they have got some BIG shots behind and some media master-plan for future…..nick-rocco or carly-emily deserved it most…they are very professional and talented……not these two stupid looking girls…..

23 littlepetal { 03.28.12 at 4:30 pm }

Unfortunately Jennifer can cook and I don’t think both girls look stupid.

24 What-evs { 03.30.12 at 2:31 am }

Lesson learnt from MKR this year which will make me boycott the show next year…

“It’s so easy to win MKR, just make sure you cook with gravel and the judges will sure give you an 8 or 9 out of 10 even if it means chipping a tooth. All good!”

25 littlepetal { 03.30.12 at 7:14 am }

But your gravel dish must taste good too!!!!