My Kitchen Rules – The Finalists Are Decided

Theoretically if Andy and Megan had been cooking tonight they would have made it into the My Kitchen Rules finale. They scored 46 points out of 60, which was more than either of the two teams received tonight.

Carly and Emily, and Nic and Rocco were up against each other in tonight’s semi-final. In the introductions there were lots of in jokes about how close the teams are, and how Rocco and Carly were just friends. No one was buying the “just friends” line.

Rocco and Nic made Birds Nest Pasta for entree, King George Whiting with Shellfish Mousseline for main, and Dolci Misti which was a chocolate mousse, Vanilla Panna Cotta with raspberry coulis and Zuppa Inglese.

Carly and Emily made Dukkah Encrusted Scallops with a Beetroot Salad, for main Duck confit with Duck Neck Sausage and White Bean Puree, and Persian Love Cakes with Panna Cotta for dessert.

Rocco and Nic’s bird nests was an upmarket cannalloni.Fresh pasta which wrapped up bechamel sauce with ham and mozzarella, with tomato sauce poured over it. However the judges did like it but Guy Grossi thought there should have been more bechemal sauce in it.

The girls were having issues with the dukkah scallops they had cut them in half as they thought they were too big but then they were taking the risk of over cooking them.  However that wasn’t the issue, it was the dukkah. Karen Martini thought it overpowered the sweetness of the scallop. Manu concurred and said they should have used the full scallop.

Rocco and Nic’s main looked amazing until they put the edible flower on the dish. Manu did not understand the flower in the plate either. Though they were praised for how good the whiting was cooked.

There were concerns about whether it was possible to cook duck confit in the time allotted, and Carly and Emily did a good job just not a great one.

Tobie said flavour good but not falling off the bone. Also Guy said their duck neck sausage was not cooked.

However on the positive side Karen thought the girls dessert was the best one they had in this series. Even though the Panna Cotta was melted on the outside because of the difficult time they had getting them out of their pots.

The feedback on the dessert was not so great for the South Australian boys. They were told by the judges they should have just picked one of the elements they made and make it spectacular. Tobie thought the chocolate mousse was great. However even with Rocco trying to drown out the flour taste in the  Zuppa Anglaise with alcohol it just did not work.

Rocco and Nic’s scores were mainly sevens and a couple of eights for a score of 45 out of 60. It looked like they were goners but the sisters scored one point less which meant the South Australian boys were through to the finale.

So it is the South Australian girls versus the South Australian boys duking it out in the finale tomorrow night. My money is on the girls to win as they have barely put a foot wrong in the competition. Leigh is apparently wanting to clear debts if she wins the prize, as she is in debt because of a bad divorce.

If you want to chat with the grand finalists you can tomorrow as they are blogging on The Daily Telegraph website.

1 brain dead dave { 03.26.12 at 11:33 pm }

Nic and Rocco are a pair of tightar$es. They must have been the smallest King George Whiting fillets I’ve ever seen on a main course. A disgrace to South Australia to serve those fingerlings. They ought to be sleeping with da fishies for that miserly effort.

Go girls!

2 Blind Bat { 03.27.12 at 12:18 am }

I do not believe we watched the same show Reality Raver. Glasses is what you need

3 Marie { 03.27.12 at 12:37 am }

I haven’t watched yet due to scheduling issues which often occurs but I am just popping in to complain about how half the time, upon going to watch the episode online, the main page of the MKR site spoils the result. Sigh.

4 littlepetal { 03.27.12 at 7:14 am }

I didn’t know Leigh was married before.

5 SueN { 03.27.12 at 8:02 am }

1 point re the judges and the dessert- this was the 1 & only time the boys have cooked for all the judges, so the judges have not tasted any of the other desserts made by the boys. whilst their dessert tonite may not have hit the mark, many of their other desserts have been sheer perfection- so when 1 judge, Karen I believe, says this is the best dessert she has tasted in the competition- she hasn’t tasted any of the other 1’s made by the boys.

I think that while the dessert the girls made was great, some of the boys’ other creations on other nights have been better- tonite no. they won on their entree and main, not their dessert- even thought it looked beautiful :) I am happy with the final 2 :)

6 littlepetal { 03.27.12 at 8:17 am }

I thought the Chocolate Tart by Jen and Leigh looked divine and will have tasted fantastic too. Not sure the sis dessert is better than the Chocolate Tart.

7 SueN { 03.27.12 at 8:34 am }

I agree littlepetal, I was surprised by the judge’s comment- but then I am not a fan of hers anyway, lol;-)

8 Reality Raver { 03.27.12 at 8:37 am }

It is who cooks best on the night and this comes down to menus as well. I actually thought the sisters had a the better menu on paper. But must say the boys whiting looked delicious.

Blind Bat – Please tell me what you think. Who do you think was the better cook or dish? I know sometimes the readers here pick up things that I miss or have not thought of.

9 SueN { 03.27.12 at 8:58 am }

I agree RR, I was a bit worried, but I guess it boils down to- the boys did ever so slightly better on entree and main, and the girls did better on dessert, so still a fair outcome. :)

my point re judge’s comment was merely that Karen, judge, has not tasted quite a lot of the excellent food the contestants (all of them) have cooked becoz she has only tasted menus on elimination nights…ergo most of the boys awesome desserts were not served to her. i just think some perspective on her comment is warranted.

people are now saying the girls made the best dessert in the comp according to the judges- this is simply not ture, becoz the judges didn’t taste heaps of things- entrees,mains & desserts!! :)

If the comment had come from Manu or Pete- maybe, but not from the other judges….

10 Bette { 03.27.12 at 9:00 am }

Nic and Rocco actually scored 44/60

11 Mrs T { 03.27.12 at 9:40 am }

I can’t figure out why the girls would have cut the scallops in half, sure I might do that if I was trying to save $$ but in a competition no way. I think the girls will get over the line tonight, they are slightly more versatile than the boys. As an SA gal I’m stoked either way!

12 Dunbi { 03.27.12 at 10:07 am }

Tonight – I can’t believe they made the teams cook for a full restaurant with each team serving up 100 plates. Bad enough to cook a five course meal for the six judges. Hope they give them a reasonable time frame.

13 Fides { 03.27.12 at 10:45 am }

Yes the final challenge seems a bit extreme – the semi finals should be working up to it, not just dumping a huge challenge like that out there.

I was bored last night. It’s like I just wanted it to finish to know who won, but didn’t care along the way how the dishes turned out. MKR just doesn’t engage me the way MC does. But I was pleased that the sister’s weren’t using the name “Mr Ducky” – maybe that’s a term they reserve for whole ducks. Though they did refer to the duck pieces in the masculine form, which is still just plain weird.

Go Leigh and Jenn tonight – based on overall performance, I think they’re more deserving of the win.

14 Bette { 03.27.12 at 10:58 am }

It’s actually 100 plates between the two teams and their five courses. So not literally serving dinner for 100.

It was dull, wasn’t it. I got sucked in by the editing and thought the horrible sisters would win. But Nic and Rocco are at a great disadvantage as they’ve had so little experience of the pressure of cooking in those judges rounds. I doubt they’ll pull off a win tonight, but am happy if Jen and Leigh win.

15 SueN { 03.27.12 at 11:01 am }

blind bat- I do not understand your comment?!?! what do you mean? :)

16 Cheryl { 03.27.12 at 11:04 am }

I think we’ll see Nic and Rocco a lot more organised and calm in the kitchen tonight – it’s the first time they’ve had to cook under those conditions so they were doing what everyone else did the first time they were in an elimination. They strike me as a team who learn very quickly from experience, not to mention that Rocco was probably even more nervous to be cooking off against his girlfriend since that’s a real lose/lose situation for a bloke.

I would have been happy if any of those three teams had won this season so I’m pretty impressed we got to this point.

17 littlepetal { 03.27.12 at 11:47 am }

They are serving 100 plates per team which is 20 plates for each of the 5 course menu. Same format last year.

18 Dunbi { 03.27.12 at 11:49 am }

Yes, Blind Bat, please do explain. I have re-read RR’s re-cap several times but still cannot see what point you are making.

19 littlepetal { 03.27.12 at 12:01 pm }

Maybe it is Blind Bat that needs glasses!!!

20 nanaliz { 03.27.12 at 12:21 pm }

I need glasses but can’t see anything wrong with re-cap. Perhaps Blind bat has blinkers. Great job by both teams but they were both really stressed out. Looks and winks were quite cute. Ain’t luuv grand, not that I can remember.
Pete and Manu were talking on Sunrise about how competitors have a couple of days between shoots and have access to books, internet etc. Carly and Emma were also there. The month staying in Adelaide with Rocco is a furfy at this stage.

21 Reality Raver { 03.27.12 at 12:27 pm }

Blind Bat – I am serious tell me what you thought of the episode, these recaps are only MY opinions, and by the way I do need glasses, but putting it off.

Nana Liz – really hasn’t Carly gone over there for a month? Or was she just thinking about it?

22 nanaliz { 03.27.12 at 12:42 pm }

Just going on what she said on Sunrise this morning. She said no, despite what you may have heard. Here is the interview

23 nanaliz { 03.27.12 at 12:51 pm }

Escapees from that nasty MKR site, stay away.

24 Isabel { 03.27.12 at 12:56 pm }

I heard the boys being interviewed on the radio this morning. They have no idea who has won – although the final was filmed ages ago . Not sure how they will announce it – can’t think that just that part will be live tonight. Or even how they filmed the final without the results. Oh well, it’s a long show tonight … I don’t mind who wins

25 Dunbi { 03.27.12 at 1:25 pm }

Lol nanaliz – agree

26 Andrea { 03.27.12 at 1:26 pm }

Yeah, I don’t understand the comment from Blind Bat either, please explain !I agree it did seem a bit boring last night, I think Carly and Emily didn’t get through because two sisters won it last year and the judges seem to rig the results the way they want it to go, so they didn’t want another two sisters to win this year. I’m a bit sick of Rocco denying the romance between him and Carly when everyone knows about it anyway.Maybe the judges could keep their scores a secret from each other so it’s a big surprise when the winner is announced and it can’t be rigged in any way.

27 Reality Raver { 03.27.12 at 1:28 pm }

Come on guy in the cut throat world of reality TV blogging I need all the readers and commenters I can get.

28 Fides { 03.27.12 at 1:34 pm }

Well I’ve taken Blind Bat’s comments literally and have concluded he/she did not watch the same show…this one’s called My Kitchen Rules 😉

And thanks littlepetal for clearing up what 100 plates means. Again, I’ve gotta be more literal – 100 plates does not mean 100 people :)

29 nanaliz { 03.27.12 at 1:42 pm }

Perhaps Rocco is acting the gentleman who doesn’t tell. Nudge, nudge, wink, wink!!!

30 I am not watching { 03.27.12 at 3:12 pm }

Lovely Jennifer, when commenting on the Persian love cake dish, said that “the fig is really good”. I checked the recipe.

31 nanaliz { 03.27.12 at 3:22 pm }

Can anyone tell me what dukkah is like. I have had a thing against figs since playing on fig tree as a kid and getting bitter milk on me…yuk.

32 nanaliz { 03.27.12 at 3:30 pm }

The dish was served with a fresh fig on the plate. It is not mentioned in recipe as such, but is in dishes name, I am not watching. Looked lovely and fresh on plate and would add texture to this turkish dish.

33 littlepetal { 03.27.12 at 5:31 pm }

I also heard Nic and Rocco interview this morning. May be they can film both the segments with each team winning and will only show one tonight??? Thus neither team nor the other contestants know who won (if the scores are close)