My Kitchen Rules – Why I Think Nic & Rocco Will Win

The final of My Kitchen Rules tonight on Channel 7 at 7.30pm, and tonight both teams will have to cook five courses of twenty plates each. Now that is pretty full on test.

After not knowing  who I wanted to win I have settled on Jennifer and Leigh.

My rationale? I think they are the better cooks and have shown a wider range of skills and use of cuisines. Jennifer moved out of her Asian comfort zone more then Nic and Rocco did from their Italian roots.

Also Jen and Leigh were much better entertainment value then the boys, and this should be rewarded. As you know it is not just the cooking that draws us in but also the personalities of the contestants. Jen’s forthrightness, and Leigh’s quiet bitchiness  gave me many more laughs then the boys. In fact I found them one of the blander teams, maybe their humour was so dry I missed it.

However who do I think will win? Nic and Rocco. In previous series the nice teams has taken out the title, last year Bella and Sammi, and the first season winners were Veronica and Shadi Abraham.

Nic and Rocco have put out some great dishes, but also they are very popular with the viewers, and I think Channel 7 will want to to leave their fans who have followed the show for the last two months satisfied.

Here are some links to interviews and articles that may be of interest to you:

• A great article on PopSugar with Carly and Emily which talks about THE romance and how they have no idea why Peter and Gary hate them so much.
  • Jennifer and Leigh live chatted on Yahoo, I must say I did not find anything particularly riveting on it, however Leigh managed to get a nice plug for Coles in.
  • Also the grand finalists are live blogging at the Daily Telegraph now, but you will be able to read the transcript. The article also talks about the opportunities they may have after the show. Jen would like to do a cookbook, Leigh is thinking of opening a cafe in her florist, and the boys are open to any media or cooking opportunities.

Below is the Sunrise interview with Carly and Emily, and Pete and Manu. Manu said he would hire Rocco but did not mention anyone else.  Thanks for the link NanaLiz.

Who do you want to win tonight? Or do you just want the best cook of the night to win the $250,000 prize money.

1 Fides { 03.27.12 at 1:48 pm }

I hope you’re wrong RR! Leigh and Jennifer have been the strongest team with interesting personalities to match. Rocco’s been a bit dull, Nic’s OK. Haven’t seen Leigh as having been overtly bitchy though they’ve tried to portray it that way …remember the promo re them ‘stealing’ Helen and Steve’s oven and Leigh’s evil laugh, which ended up being such a non-issue. And last week, Leigh helped Nic choose spices for his Asian dish (the challenge where they had to tag-team it) – I remember her correctly telling him which were the hottest chillies, though she was teasing him with deliberately bad advice later.

2 Andrea { 03.27.12 at 1:52 pm }

I don’t really mind who wins but I think I agree with you RR and it will be Nic and Rocco. If they opened an Italian restaurant with delicious desserts it would be very popular!

3 Leop { 03.27.12 at 2:03 pm }

Leigh and Jen have hardly had a flop except for the pigeons – their Persian love cakes hit all the boxes with the Judges last night
I thought from day 1 Nic & Rocco would win; but now feel L&J will as N&R have been fairly up and down throughout MKR – wish both teams well –

4 PollyB { 03.27.12 at 2:15 pm }

1st season a male/female, then f/f, now m/m for mine.

5 Chunks { 03.27.12 at 2:19 pm }

I think Leigh and Jennifer will win. They have been the more consistent cooks and they just need to not overreach and blow it. However I’d be happy for the boys to win as they’re also great cooks. Plus I could look at Rocco and that sly smile all day. I think he must be related to this guy: http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lm1uuwAp7v1qb98xbo1_500.gif

6 brain dead dave { 03.27.12 at 2:25 pm }

I’m hoping Manu and Pete haven’t woken up with horse heads in their beds before the final.

7 Chunks { 03.27.12 at 2:49 pm }

If they did I’m certain it was horse head confit with plenty of sauce BDD.

8 I am not watching { 03.27.12 at 2:56 pm }

I predict the boys will win. First I am still looking for the event that leads to the big fallout between Leigh and Jennifer. There’s only the final for that to happen now.

Second, Carly and Rocco moving in together. I took that as a sign that either of them won early on. There must be a victory, with money and fame for the union to capitalise on. Otherwise long distance relationships are too difficult, and Carly is super competitive as she confessed.

Third. Jennifer has gone into business Partnership with Scott’s partner. Which sort of indicates no further commitments with channel seven.

9 littlepetal { 03.27.12 at 5:52 pm }

Jen did not have a fall out with Liegh. She said that in the TV guide that comes with the Sunday newspaper.

Carly hasn’t move to Adelaide yet.

Jen could have won and have the capital to go into business with Scott :)

I know Rocco is in Finance but not sure whether he is an accountant. Running a restaurant is a risky business but if business fail, he can go back to his accounting.

Really can’ t tell who will win as both teams can cook. Maybe Princess won as they have used her in the lead up to MKR to make us remember Princess of MKR. Yeah…..

10 Calliegirl { 03.27.12 at 7:51 pm }

I’m absolutely torn – don’t really mind which team wins as I like both of them. Ta for the laughs BDD – you haven’t lost it!

11 littlepetal { 03.27.12 at 9:47 pm }

I thought the scores should be closer. Still I think the right team won.

12 Wurstsemmel { 03.27.12 at 10:08 pm }

Well, RR, you were wrong and the outcome was a complete crock of …

The girls first plate was criticized for being too bland, there was an element missing on one plate and the dessert looked a mess.

Stopped watching after the instant restaurants at which point it could have been Masterchef….even down to the mandatory sob story. Disappointed I wasted my time watching tonight.

13 Georgie { 03.27.12 at 10:46 pm }

I thought around about the second course, that I wouldn’t want to put myself through that kind of stress if I was pregnant. By the anxious looks from Jennifer’s husband, he may have had similar concerns.

14 littlepetal { 03.27.12 at 10:48 pm }

Jen was rather calm I think. Remember last final, one of the sister was on the floor and didn’t want to cook.

15 Georgie { 03.27.12 at 11:00 pm }

littlepetal – Jen may have appeared reasonably calm but the pressure of that marathon effort would still be felt on the inside.

Yes, I remember Sammy or Bella having a meltdown last year too.

16 Winner { 03.27.12 at 11:11 pm }

Go Nic and Rocco! Too bad they didn’t win and Leigh and Jennifer won. Carly and Rocco……so cute!

17 brain dead dave { 03.27.12 at 11:13 pm }

The mindless encouragement and advice from the vanquished contestants in the peanut gallery was a lowlight for me and far too reminiscent of Ma$terchef. I lost count of how many times I yelled at the telly for them to STFU. Like you would want advice from Thomas and Carla, Peter and Gary, the seafood bogans et al. Carla had a hideous morsel of food stuck on her face for her last piece to camera.

18 RealityFan { 03.27.12 at 11:14 pm }

C’mon RR, surely the recap could be a bit faster on the final night of MKR! Sorry to be negative, but I’ve been a bit disappointed with the lateness of the recaps lately, and even with the help of your intern there are some shows that aren’t being recapped at all e.g. Celebrity Apprentice & Project Runway. Seems like this site is treated as more of a hobby rather than as a serious reality TV blog. There were plenty of regular readers worried about you the other day when you didn’t post your MKR post, and when you finally responded I thought your comments were quite flippant and dismissive. Again, sorry if this seems harsh and I’ll probably cop a lot of flak from some of your regulars but I also think there’ll be some who agree with me. If this site is your bread and butter, treat it that way!

19 I am not watching { 03.27.12 at 11:56 pm }

Congratulations to the girls. I am really really happy that they’ve won. They are the more deserving team, after a whole entertaining season and consistent offerings. Jen shone tonight, handling 2 courses almost on her own, averting crisis after crisis. I am pleased the producers didn’t sell out and award the more marketable team.

I think it is remarkable how 2 girls of different culinery backgrounds can work so harmoniously with each other in such synergistic approach. The menu design tonight is mature, complex and inspiring. Bar the dessert, which is more of a can’t-lose-to-the-boys thing.

The boys did really well tonight too, especially Nic, who as usual bore the responsibilities of mains while Rocco toiled on dessert. I believe pairing up with Carly (with Emily’s PR firm) will set them up with countless opportunities and we should see more of them.

20 brain dead dave { 03.28.12 at 12:03 am }

Re comment#18 …Just want to say that when I did a few recaps last year,it was bloody hard work to recap just a one hour show and would take me four to five hours on top of the furious note taking during the show. Usually I was too knackered afterwards to even proof-read my own work.

Two hour show tonight, RR has young kids. I’m happy to read and blog here and don’t feel that RR owes explanations to me.

21 Dutch Courage { 03.28.12 at 12:09 am }

Reality fan, thanks for bringing this up. I agree with your fair comments and I don’t think you shoud cop any flak here. This is supposed to be ‘Australia’s leading reality TV blog’ but recently it has been a bit of hit and miss. The blogs seem to appear at random and the quality has been a bit disappointing of late. It would be nice to be able to comment on a popular show without having to wait for the blog. Most contributors watched the show themselves and must be keen to share their opinions soon after it aired. Is there any way to accomodate this?

22 sue N { 03.28.12 at 12:10 am }

I too shall confess to being a little confused re the outcome of the show, and a little disappointed there is no recap on here yet. my reasons are:

I really like the girls and find them inventive and great cooks, however I fail to see how they can score any 10’s when most of the judges either stated or agreed that:

-the 1st course was a little bland, and
-one element was totally missing, & noticed, from their 5th course.

The boys also cooked great courses, the one that they least impressed with being their 3rd course- & that was mostly for presentation, as all agreed the flavours were excellent.

I fail to see the correlation between the judges comments and critiques, and their subsequent scores!!!

If MKR does NOT want to follow down the unfortunate path of Masterchef- legitimacy and transparency in judging are KEY!

So, whilst I am not necessarily disappointed with who won, I am disappointed in how the outcome was arrived at.

& yes, I too have noticed the lateness of recaps/blogs and the reduced number of shows being covered. If RR is legitimately unable to cover this for some reason, I apologise- but was this not the reason for the intern? ( for example, I would like to see recaps on excess baggage, project runway, top chef… to name but a few!!)

I understand that not all shows can be covered- but seriously -the only way is essex?????? ;-(

I have taken to checking other websites for recaps/updates as the info just does not seem to be getting on here…is there a reason or??? if there is a serious reason for the lack of recaps, I do sincerely apologise…

23 Fraud TV { 03.28.12 at 12:38 am }

Nic & Rocco should have won. Pete, Manu & the other judges are scum. They have joined those other judges on MasterCrap as a bunch of unethical & dirty wankers. How the hell did Jennifer & Leigh beat Nic & Rocco when they stuffed up two of their five dishes compared to one out of five for Nic & Rocco. My Krap Rules 2013 next.

24 Georgie { 03.28.12 at 8:10 am }

On the topic of whether or not this blog is fulfilling it’s purpose and the needs of it’s contributor community I can only say ‘guacamole in my shoes’. That’s what a Koori friend said to me 30 odd years ago to remind me things are not always as ‘black and white’ as they seem.

I doubt this blog represents much in the way of ‘bread and butter’ for RR. If it did we’d see a lot more advertising on the site or we’d probably be paying subscriptions. If that’s the case, then probably what started out as a hobby, has turned into a monkey on RR’s back.

A blog has the potential to make a living but how much time and energy can you continue to put in, while you’re not getting anything out. RR has to have her finger in every RTV info source, gossip, launches etc. and then watch nearly every show, write it up, have a life, look after the kids needs and earn an income.

My background is media and promotions. I’ve also taught IT and business industry communications – and believe me when I say the creative writing process to a deadline, is not an easy one.

As a member of this community, if there’s anything I can do to assist in keeping this valuable forum healthy, just let me know RR.

25 Reality Raver { 03.28.12 at 8:34 am }

Fair points and I will take on board your criticisms. I agree re: the lack of recaps. As BDD says they do take time, and sometimes some episodes and shows are easier to recap then others ie to have something interesting to say. I try and aim to have five posts a day up sometimes I achieve this sometimes I don’t.
As long time readers know I do struggle to make a buck from the blog, and in fact do need to spend more time chasing advertising, and being more timely.
As Georgie says I do have 2 young children with the youngest in childcare only a few days a week.
But thanks for the feedback believe it or not sometimes I know when I put my recap up I think oh that wasn’t so great.
By the way there won’t be a paywall going up on Reality Ravings.
Also reality fan I thought I had hit publish on the MKR blog post on friday but clearly was not capable of even doing that, and I ‘fessed up it my illness was a bit of an own goal.

After working so hard to get this blog with a decent readership I would hate to think I am losing them.

26 Reality Raver { 03.28.12 at 8:35 am }

By the way guys thanks for reading and the support, you probably don’t know how much I do appreciate it and how it keeps me going in the dark early hours of the morning.

27 sue N { 03.28.12 at 9:30 am }

RR- thanks for responding. I enjoy your blogs immensely, so just got a tad frustrated at sparsity lately! 😉 As someone with “no life” (illness) your blogs, and all the comments they generate, keep me entertained and occupied !!! :)

28 Reality Raver { 03.28.12 at 11:01 am }

No problems it is something I continually struggling with. Also I don’t like it when I let my readers down. Because really in a way it is you guys that actually keep me motivated and gives me the enjoyment of doing the blog.

29 Andrea { 03.28.12 at 12:12 pm }

RR maybe Anthony could take over some of the blogs to help? I agree Nic and Rocco should have won, no one deserved a ten.

30 William { 03.29.12 at 2:59 am }

Well, then I’ll pitch in and accommodate warm words of encouragement for RR, cue head swelling. Just one criticism – just dial your subjectivity a tad – it may not be much, particularly for a blog, but I think it’s easy for a strong opinion to influence a reader’s perception about the author, if that makes sense. I’m sure you know what I’m talking about.

That said, you’re doing a fantastic job just being able to service the public with recaps and the blogs. I only read MKR, really.

31 disgusted { 04.04.12 at 3:26 pm }

It is obvious how the girls won, and the MKR execs should be ashamed of themselves to score the oral delights the girls gave over the oral results of their cooking. When you serve gravel one night and the next miss part of your menu ingrediants and you end up with a 10 – we are NOT talking about food.

32 littlepetal { 04.04.12 at 4:57 pm }

disgusted-I think you should get yourself some Oral B toothbrushes and clean your mouth; no your brain