The Block – Dan and Dani versus Courtney and Brad

It was two cookie cutter teams going head to head to try and secure the first position on The Block 2012.

Dan and Dani were a dating couple from Melbourne, he was a carpenter and she was a business analyst. Courtney and Brad were dating couple from Perth. Courtney was a speech pathologist and Brad is a project manager.

Both couples have been together three years and Brad and Dan even had the same hair cut.

The Block kicked off this year the same formula, where eight teams were  being whittled down to four. However this time the eight couples will be renovating rooms in a real place, a bright red house. The red apparently pissed off the neighbours in the up market suburb it was in and 0ne neighbour thought it was a brothel.

The Block does not look like they will be fiddling with the winning formula from last year, and why should they. However I hope the casting has not focused too much on looks rather than personality of the couples. I can only look at a pretty face for so long, well Commando excepted.

Again  this year in each room there was the feature piece the teams had to use, and for this challenge it was a portable light.

Dan and Dani decided turn their room into a bedroom, where Courtney and Brad did a dining room.

Like last year it was the girls out shopping and the men doing the painting.

The teams continued their similarities by picking a similar paint colour, and dark floorboards, so it was going to be all down to the decorating.

With only 24 hours to renovate a room it does get tense. Scott Cam was concerned about Brad’s painting technique and it was messy as he had not put tape up for the cornices.

Dani who spent most of the time shopping forgot to get a doona insert, and she tried to blame it on someone else. “What type of sales person sells a doona cover without an insert?”. A sales person that presumes you already have one perhaps?

Props for innovation from her though for running into an interiors shop and grabbing a doona.

Courtney spent $1400 of the $5000 budget on a poster that was not even in a frame.  It was to be their feature piece in the room. Whereas Dan and Dani feature was a beautiful set of drawers.

The judges of John McGrath, and Neale Whittaker are  joined by Shaynna Blaze this year and NINE actually promoted her from being from Selling Houses Australia a show on Lifestyle Channel.

They all gushed over Dan and Dani’s room and thought it was a a beautiful and there was no negativity. However that was not the case for Brad and Courtney, the bad painting was noticed and Shaynna thought they cheapened the room by putting in thumb tacks into the expensive poster. I wonder what happens to the poster now the challenge has finished.

It was a no brainer that Dani and Dan were going to be the first couple into The Block.

1 Maz { 04.17.12 at 8:54 am }

Thought it was unfair that the Melbourne couple had ‘home ground’ advantage. If you lived that close you would be doing recon for weeks prior.

Both teams appeared to be channelling the Jenna/Josh palette right down to tacky poster. Both should have been eliminated because of it.
Would prefer that they let all the teams do a room then choose the top four.

Feel sorry for the neighbours. Is that red house going to be ‘restored’ then sold off auction night as well?

2 Fi { 04.17.12 at 8:59 am }

I was wondering if the neighbours were dirty about the red house. It is a major eyesore and I wouldn’t want to live next to it.
I turned off after about 5 minutes. The casting annoyed me. Every team looked exactly the same. Skinny white people. Just looked like a recap of last year

3 PollyB { 04.17.12 at 9:21 am }

With the series not even started, I have to wonder- who will pay top dollar for these rushed renos again?

4 Tickled Pink { 04.17.12 at 10:45 am }

I also thought they both had the style of Josh/Jenna from last season – BORING! I’m hoping the other couples come up with something original and have more intriguing personalities, they all seem really young and the ‘same’

5 brain dead dave { 04.17.12 at 11:08 am }

The Schlock- all beige trash from the same dumbographic. Yawn.

$cotty must have used a spirit level to get his hair so flat.

6 Calliegirl { 04.17.12 at 11:11 am }

I was stumped when Dani said she didn’t have a’ doona insert’ and her partner asked what that was! I think she meant to say a ‘doona’. I always thought it was a doona, with a doona ‘cover’ on it. Never heard it called an insert before! Weird!!

7 Susan { 04.17.12 at 1:46 pm }

I can’t get over how much that bloke cried – WUSS!

8 drb123 { 04.17.12 at 1:46 pm }

If last night was anything to go by, it’s going to be a dull series with design as different and as interesting as last nights paint selection.

The home ground advantage was of real help last night, don’t know if it was at all fair

9 Reality Raver { 04.17.12 at 4:02 pm }

Maz – no it was rented out by a couple who were about to renovate, needless to say they will have $$$ now to do the reno they wanted to do.
Agree re: the Josh and Jenna palate. I reckon they are all playing it safe at this stage of the comp. Also they will know that the judges (well the guys) loved Josh and Jenna’s style.

Fi – I reckon it is so arduous that might be the type that apply. But lets hope there is some with personality that get in there.

Polly B – the house next door to The Block is up for sale they must be getting out before the four houses glut the market.

Tickled Pink – HOpefully the mum and son or father and daughter teams gets in. It will be in interesting to see if a non-tradies team gets in.

BDD – did you notice Scott Cam had not shaved?

Calliegirl – I thought she just wanted to ensure he knew what she was talking about, but it was a tad confusing.

SUSAN – Get used to it – it is reality tv baby

DRB123 – indeed but they must have a list of shops they can go to. As a bit of a coincidence they both landed at the one shop in Fitzroy.

10 brain dead dave { 04.17.12 at 4:08 pm }

No RR, I didn’t notice that $cotty hadn’t shaved. He’s about as edgy as a bowling ball isn’t he?

At least he didn’t cry like some of the contestants last night.

11 Mama'sMilk { 04.17.12 at 9:42 pm }

So any guesses what this year’s “must have” accessory will be? Like the framed map which seemed to pop up in every house (and every renovators design as well)

My bets are on ceramic birds or cardboard cut-out moose heads. Mark my words people….

At the other end of the scale, anyone have any guesses what the clangers will be; something to beat the shag carpet and decals of last year?!

12 Mama'sMilk { 04.17.12 at 9:43 pm }

…. and RR, like others have said, I will also be watching the last 5 minutes of each show to see the rooms and then flicking to your commentary for the rest.

Quicker, less annoying recaps and better class of banter!

13 brain dead dave { 04.17.12 at 9:59 pm }

I can’t believe there’s a shade of paint called “China White”. It’s also a variety of heroin.

14 littlepetal { 04.17.12 at 10:07 pm }

NO!!!! they can’t have a shade of paint called ‘China White’. I am going to complain to the authorities (not sure where to go). It’s racist just like Darkie toothpaste.

15 Angela { 04.18.12 at 8:43 pm }

Does anyone know the grey colour that Dan and Dani used in their room? I’m desperate to find out!!! Please help meeeee!

16 Nadine { 04.21.12 at 8:41 pm }

Does anyone know the name of the 60s 70s furniture store in fitzroy both teams turned up to

17 Sue { 06.20.12 at 1:35 am }

Does anyone no where Dani got the black
cane chairs from not to everyone’s taste but
I quite like them

18 chris mckiernan { 06.24.12 at 9:08 pm }

Lara and Brad are bullies, Its just adult bulling SHAME ON YOU LARA AND BRAD, I really hope Dan and Danny win, the two girls on the show were rotten to Danny the are B@#chy. Is it so hard to be NICE Lara you will get punished for being so nasty……..