The Voice – Yes We Get It – It Is All About The Voice

The Voice’s iconic moniker of the hand has reached out the TV to grab the viewer by the “proverbials”. Sunday night it rated 2.17 million viewers, though I think I also saw a later figure of 2.98million, anyway who cares it was a lot and it may assist Channel Nine who has been the tortoise to Channel Seven’s hare in the race for ratings.

It should be noted that the shows that have been delivering the big numbers for the Networks this year have been reality. So it is proof this genre is just getting stronger.

The four judges Delta Goodrem, Joel Madden, Keith Urban and Seal competed to get the best contestants. Delta again having a hard time getting selected. However she did not sell herself very well to the contestants, also did she not buzz in fast enough which may not have been helping her cause. As the saying goes a fussy girl is a lonely girl.

Again we were told it was all about The Voice but when ever the judges turned around and saw an attractive person, they were just that little bit more animated and excited.

Seal confirmed this when he was pitching for first singer Sarah De Bono he said “Your beautiful, you’ve got the whole thing”.

Sarah  was a teacher who was “surprised” in her class room by host, Darren McMullen, presenting her with a ticket to the audition. Considering they would have had to get consent forms signed for all the students it was hardly a surprise.

The girl with the pink hair sang Price Tag, and all  judges bar Seal buzzed to get her.

Joel did his double entendres of “I really want her”, he is pretty smooth that Madden boy, and Keith gave his longest speech ever saying “it is about having an original edge which you have – strikingly, sonically, the way you look, the way you listen to us.”

She ended up selecting Joel, and Delta did not look happy.

Cam Tapp was up next he was a father of twin and a stay at home dad. Is this code for unsuccessful muso? He has been singing for 25 years. He also spoke about a serious car accident and  said he made a deal that if he made it through he would always follow his dreams.

He sang Superman. Seal pressed first and then Delta. Seal did not look real thrilled when he turned around. Delta said it was “the perfect song to pick” Seal looked doubtful  and made it clear he did not want him on his team. Seal told him he did not like it that he said “thank God it’s over” at the end of the song.  Seal said it was not the personality of a star.  So Cam ended up picking Keith.

Gail Page was 48 years old and has only been singing for five years. She sang “I Put A Spell On You”. She had a strong jazzy voice, but I wonder if they could tell by the timbre that she was older then most and no judge pressed the button.  Delta then became dramatic after the song saying she wanted to now press the button.  Chances are she will have the opportunity to pick her up when they go through all the singers again if they don’t have their full quota for the teams. It will be interesting to see if she actually picks her then.

Laura Bunting a 24 year old was up next had some serious musical theatre credibility by working in Buddy Holly, and Wicked. HoweverShe wants to perform as herself. She sang “Wuthering Heights” and also played the piano. She was fantastic. Joel and Delta pressed the button.

Delta said  “I understand who you are and have ideas for you already”. Clearly it did not appeal and she chose Joel. Laura could go quite far in this competition.

Brett Clark from Tamworth sang a Keith Urban song Memories Of Us. It was a risk but he pulled it off and Keith picked him. I am not a fan of country but his voice was very pleasant.

Rebecca Tapia was another person with some good performance credentials. It was revealed she had been touring with Burn The Floor  (a Jason Gilkison’s dance show) for the past three years, but her dream is to be a recording artist. She had a strong voice which belted out a ballad and it was a bit of a surprise no one wanted her in their team. particularly Delta.

It did make me wonder whether the judges were trying to guess what type of person was singing when they were listening to her. And who they thought was singing may have been different to who actually was. She may get picked up by a judge at a later date.

Carpet cleaner Yshrael Pascual wants to give up his day job. With his eyeliner and funky clothes it looked like he was going to bust out an 80’s song but he sang Miss You. All the judges pressed but he picked Seal. His voice  was one of my favourites of the night.

Next up was Chris Sebastian the younger brother of Guy Sebastian. Well clearly he can not audition for The X Factor, so The Voice or Australia’s Got Talent it is for him. He sang Halo. The issue for Chris being who is brother is that when he does sing people automatically compare voices and it is not as good as Guy’s.

Delta turned around and was thrilled when she recognised him straight away. Seal turned around and clearly did not know who he was. When he and Delta were trying to convince who he should go with, Delta kind of blew it as she had thought he might pick her because they did know each other. But what relevance did her  “This is my country I love Australia” comment have to do with mentoring?

Seal said “You are a diamond in the rough” and outlined what exactly how he would help him, also batting back Delta’s “it will be easy with me”. Seal saying it won’t be easy but he will be a better singer at the end of it.

Chris selected Seal and Delta was quite upset, she had to leave the set to compose herself. Considering at that stage she had no one on her team I felt a tad sorry for her.

The final performer for the episode was Rachel Leahcar – the legally blind girl they had been using heavily in all the promos.

Michael Idato TV writer for the SMH tweeted “I don’t want to be thought of as the blind girl who sings.” Nine’s promo dep’t didn’t get the Memo, clearly.

She was this episodes example about why the show was all about “the voice” not who you are. She did have cracker voice singing the hell out of La Vie En Rose. However I did wonder if the judges had been tipped off so they all turned around so we got that TV “moment”.

For Keith and Joel it did not seem like that it would be the type of voice they would normally swing around for. The judges are selecting on voices that they like but also ones that will fit into what they think they can do with it. Well that is what I have been interpreting from some of their comments when they explain to the singer why they have not buzzed for them.

Don’t get me wrong Rachel deserves to be selected however the whole scene did have my cynical mind wondering.

Another factor was  when Delta she turned around teared up before she had finished the song, it was like she knew she was blind. Personally I did not think when she was singing it was that obvious she could not see. Now Delta may have just been moved by the voice, or the judges may have gathered she had been brought onto stage and heard her being orientated and then guessed she was blind.

However it was great that Delta finally got picked by someone. She was very keen to get Rachel on her team.

“I could share with you with what I went through’ said Delta, meaning her cancer battle at the same age,” I would just want to help you in anyway I can”.

I note not one judge said I think you can win the show.

Anyway it was a heart warming moment in another entertaining episode of The Voice and she will be popular with the viewers.

1 Joseph Skyrim { 04.18.12 at 10:24 am }

Seems like most of the contestants have an extensive musical background already anyway so as long as it’s a level playing field it’s fine by me.

2 Ratings Ronny { 04.18.12 at 12:40 pm }

SPOILER ALERT, SPOILER ALERT, SPOILER ALERT, SPOILER ALERT, SPOILER ALERT

all the contestants were approach and the whole gig is that its meant not to be a bunch of no-names but rather some very good talent – at the blind auditions the general standard was excellent and I came away thinking that it might actually be a different and excellent show – however in the battle rounds it reverted to type and what became apparent was that the judges weren’t judging the best performance & voice but rather selecting winners who filled the same demographics we see on X factor etc…anyone who has some understanding of music and tone will see this when it comes out. good news is that Chris Sebastian goes out in the battleround and its as funny as F*ck when it happens.
…as for Brain Dead Dave and his degree and 30 years of musical experience – if you were any good champ you’d not be spending your whole life being a constant flow of excrement on here…and you wouldn’t be so concerned with how people come across with their image and personality on the show as to how they sound and perform…but then maybe its a sore point….and as for my girlfriend blowing me off…you can only dream of it champ – whilst you are playin bingo with your grandmammyyyyy!!!!

3 brain dead dave { 04.18.12 at 1:03 pm }

* You don’t have a girlfriend Ronny.
* Not my problem you can’t sing and were sent home.

4 Ratings Ronny { 04.18.12 at 2:05 pm }

I’m disappointed – is that the best you can do?
Some life advice for you and your sad little existence – put some clothes on, wipe up the jizz around your keyboard and go and practice your ukulele or play another round of bingo with nanna …for chrissakes do something rather than just play the lame wit on here…

5 brain dead dave { 04.18.12 at 2:30 pm }

You’re knocking me out with all your musical knowledge, Ranting Ronny.
See comment 53.

6 Georgie { 04.18.12 at 2:42 pm }

Just ignore it – eventually it’ll get bored and crawl away…

7 Ratings Ronny { 04.18.12 at 5:44 pm }

Georgie – its hard to ignore though isn’t it – you’re trying to liken The Voice to a novel or a movie is laughable – as far as I’m concerned the story behind the scenes is much more interesting than the edited drivel you all get wet over in this diatribe.

8 Ruby { 04.18.12 at 6:07 pm }

I’m sorry, but I am not liking Seal. He seems so up himself. (I might be wrong, but it is just my impression) But I am very impressed by Keith Urban. He seems down to earth and is pretty laid back. Is ‘our Nicole’ (as the papers like to call her) like that ?? Joel is fantastic. He is funny and easy going. Or at least comes across as such on telly.

Hey BDD, don’t even bother fighting with Ronnie. Just let it go. It isn’t worth it. It just gives him the so-called right of reply. Ignore him. I love your comments and miss your humourous asides. We all love you on this blog.

9 brain dead dave { 04.18.12 at 6:42 pm }

Relax Ruby, I rarely waste more than one line on human shoe scrapings.

Thanks for your comment.

10 Ratings Ronny { 04.19.12 at 8:30 am }

yo BDD, does the fact that you were so vitriolic about Cam Tapp have everything to do with the fact that you are a like Cam – a guy in his 40’s who wished he was a star musician- but unlike him in that rather than be talented enough to be selected to go on the show and then be selected in a team – you instead still have to sit alone in your room with your computer and make inane comments – sad life muthhaphuccccckkkaaa!!!!!

11 littlepetal { 04.19.12 at 10:35 am }

Rating Ronny-you are doing exactly the same thing.

12 brain dead dave { 04.19.12 at 12:07 pm }

Refer to comment 53, Ronny.

13 Andrea { 04.19.12 at 12:14 pm }

Don’t waste any more time on him BDD.

14 brain dead dave { 04.19.12 at 1:21 pm }

I haven’t been reading the illiterate idiot, Andrea. It’s either Cam Crapp itself or someone connected with him..

15 Elkie Toms { 04.20.12 at 9:19 am }

I was at the blind auditions…. No connection at all with Cam Tapp, but his voice was just superb, really stirring. He was really down to earth too… I’m shocked he could be labelled an a?$@4/$! What I’m noticing watching on tv is none of the voices sound as impressive as they did live , aside from the huge diva voices.

16 kit { 04.22.12 at 9:30 pm }

I agree, I think some of it has too be set up atleast for ratings.

17 Ruby { 04.23.12 at 12:56 am }

Thinking that the judges are being ageist about the voices.

18 Sick Dave The Pit Bull { 04.23.12 at 1:07 am }

Yes I agree, Ruby, they made that more mature lady tonight feel like a natural pensioner.

19 Ruby { 04.23.12 at 1:18 am }

Glad to hear you agree SDTPB. We were gob smacked at what Seal said to her. Whaaat?? It was just wrong. Her daughter was pretty good, too. But I guess they can’t shake the stripper moves like that girl from Trinity.

20 Sick Dave The Pit Bull { 04.23.12 at 1:30 am }

The best opera singers are in their 40’s and 50’s, most often the latter but this show is all about The Voice, right? So the judges go ape droppings for the vanilla toned youngsters.

21 Ruby { 04.23.12 at 2:11 am }

Spot on. I just rewatched Seal going nuts over vanilla toned Emma – did he just do that for more screen time or just because he liked the song? As it couldn’t be because she is just that good. He is a tool of the highest order.

22 Reality Raver { 04.23.12 at 10:02 am }

Ruby I agree I think they can pick some of the time the age of the person by the voice. A pity Shauna didn’t get on she would have made great reality TV. In the five minutes she had she was entertaining, also she could sing.

23 Liberty { 04.30.12 at 1:57 pm }

Ruby – have to agree with you. There’s something about Seal… It’s all about the voice but is it really? On several instances, when Seal turned around and didn’t “like” what he saw, I noticed that he seemed to go out of his way to convince the singer to choose one of the others, rather than him.
Ronny – if you’re going to give out spoilers, no need to drip feed the results. Spill!

24 Carol { 06.02.12 at 10:58 am }

I can’t understand why Chris Sebastian is still on the show – he is very annoying. Also Laken when he sang Forever Young sounded like a drowning cat – how could anyone vote for him. Other than that most of the contestants are very good. I like the show because it is entertaining and thats the name of the game.

25 real deal { 06.18.12 at 5:50 pm }

ok the voice is completely rigged for many reasons. its all about ratings ratings ratings. notice that the final four all went through in the previous rounds through voting ? why would you pick darren over diana rouvas? im sure out of all the judges keith knows talent, not saying darren isnt talented but diana is obviously a star, she is the only one who delivered everytime. as for the judges, keith seemed the most real until he picked darren over diana, delta.. everyones got there opinion , joel likes to please the cameras- his an attention seeker cutting off all the judges opinions to please the crowd or he tells off the audience for booing when he agrees on something negative, as for seal he is allowed to be or do whatever the fuck he wants cos he is the only grammy award winner, every person in the world knows kiss from a rose, he is so talented and is married to a victoria secret model so let the man be creepy..or pationate. overall another very rigged reality show

26 smauge { 06.18.12 at 7:52 pm }

RealDeal – that is purely based on your opinion. Just because the singer YOU think was best didn’t get chosen you automatically jump to the conclusion it’s rigged. I personally couldn’t stand Diana’s style or voice. Where as (as is well documented here) I have been on the Mr Percival bandwagon since day 1.
You know, it might be rigged to a certain degree, as I’m sure most RTV is, but your evidence would have to be based on something more solid than who you liked the best.

27 smauge { 06.18.12 at 7:53 pm }

And BTW, Seal is no longer with Heidi Klum.

28 sue N { 06.18.12 at 8:12 pm }

I still find Seal extremely creepy….ewwwww