The Block – Jessie and Larry Versus Lara and Brad

I would have loved to have seen Jessie and Larry to have gotten onto The Block. The father and daughter team were articulate and intelligent, and Larry did remind me of a younger Alan Dale.

Even there back story was compelling Jessie’s mother had died six months before in a plane crash and she would have applied to be on the show with her. Obviously it has not been a great year for Larry as he is currently between jobs as he was made redundant.

They were up against Newcastle couple Lara and Brad. Brad works in the mines and Lara is a teacher.

Neither of them really razzled with their rooms and I tend to agree with commenter Maz from yesterday’s post that all eight teams should do the rooms and then they pick the top four. As these two teams were both pretty weak.

They were both given a rug which neither team liked it. Scott Cam told Lara that it may not be very political  to turn the rug over if the judges had selected it.

Lara and Brad decided to do a guest bedroom, because as you know most people have $5000 rugs in guest bedrooms…

Jessie and Larry after much vacillating decided on a lounge/study. Again both teams manage to pick the same wall colour a Whisper White. After it was painted Jessie had an episode about it and wanted to get a new type of paint her dad refusing, then after he saw what it looked like on the walls he told her to get the China White.

The highlight of the episode was Jessie sitting on a lounge looking catatonic saying “I’m so stressed, I’m so stressed” over and over.

Both of the girls were out for most of the challenge shopping, and the grunt work was left to the guys. However both girls had forgotten curtains and Scott Cam pointed out they needed to get some.

Jessie ran out to Spotlight, and Lara rigged up a sheet, which Shaynna Blaze was not very impressed by.

The judges basically were finding it hard to find something positive to say about both rooms, and the line of the night as to go to Neale Whittaker when commenting on Jessie and Larry’s room he sarcastically drawled “they managed to use ALL the colours of the rug”. There was a lot of clutter in their room.

It was no surprise that Lara and Brad won the round, however I suspect Larry was relieved as this pair would not have coped being on The Block.

1 Maz { 04.18.12 at 12:56 pm }

Brad and Lara are for the NBN demographic (not referring to broadband) so we are hoping that when the inevitable kids room is done a stuffed Big Dog toy is placed on the bed.

Like to think of the bed sheet curtains as housing commission chic though wondering what the time difference was between when Scotty told the QLD team and the NSW team about the curtains.

Not really impressed yet by the couples as none seem to have ever painted before.

2 Calliegirl { 04.18.12 at 2:42 pm }

I actually thought the losers room looked better. It looked warmer somehow. And I didn’t like the fact that most of the rug was hidden under the bed in the winners room. Are they just going for ‘couples’ in the show. I liked the father and daughter. I do hope the mother and son get in!

3 Georgie { 04.18.12 at 5:09 pm }

The Block eps are being repeated on Gem from 4.30-5.00 if anyone’s interested.

I agree Calliegirl, I liked the father/daughter room best. Much warmer.

4 Mahlia { 04.18.12 at 5:31 pm }

I thought the losers room looked better – even though it was cluttered.
You shouldn’t be able to win with a sheet for a curtain.

5 carrot { 04.18.12 at 5:58 pm }

apparently a lot of ppl disagreed with the judges. shaynna herself responded on fb. here it is:

Hi everyone, it looks like there are a lot of people out there not agreeing with tonight’s decision.
You must know we don’t get to meet the contestants before hand and did not know any of the background. Larry and Jessie seem lovely people and I would have loved to have had the opportunity to meet them and see them do well in the house.
I will also say right from the start it was tough and it wasn’t an easy one. These rooms are not just judged by immediate impact but by execution and use of design & function.
One one hand we had one room that was pared back and very simple AND with a sheet for a window but when you looked at some of the details it was executed well and worked with the rug that was the inspiration for the room.

The sitting room was the opposite, an overwhelming amount of detail, colour, furniture and accessories and the inspiration rug was swamped. As you tried to edit it with your ‘eyes’ you could see the execution wasn’t top notch and still had no clear direction.

We had to make the decision which couple could make a firm decision on direction, able to execute to a certain standard and have vision to not just renovate a room, but a whole house.

Cheers

Shaynna

i can understand her point but still think the wrong team won. oh well.

6 smauge { 04.18.12 at 6:38 pm }

They got it wrong because they picked the shittier room, nothing to do with background sob stories. The winning room looked like an old backpackers room.

7 Reality Raver { 04.18.12 at 7:24 pm }

Interesting I think they got it right. I would have loved Larry and Jessie to have got in for a lot of reasons. As better personalities and Larry was kind of hot for an older guy. But the room was very cluttered and random. Also I don’t think either of them would have coped with the stress of being in The Block.

8 Someone Sensible { 04.18.12 at 8:14 pm }

Ah, nice to know others felt like I did. I also liked the losing team’s room- it just felt warmer. Maybe the winning team did do well on “details”, but what good is that when the overall look of the room was so ….blah!
the rug which was supposed to be the focus was mostly covered under the bed, that crappy ladder-towel rack whatever & the sheet curtain ( dont mind innovative thinking, but even that was done so shabbily)
On the other hand I loved the colours in the losing team’s rooms…so what if they pulled off most colours from the rug, it felt right- cheerful & warm…but I do think that team would not have coped well with being on the block…so oh well… things happen for the best I guess…
as with today’s couple- Michelle & Brandon…they seem nice & all but how did they even think they could cope on a show like Block?