The Voice – It Is Kicking Some Reality TV Butt

The Voice is kicking every other shows butt on TV this week and on Monday night it comprehensively beat Australia’s Got Talent, and it must have been all the sweeter that Rachel Leahcar the one who will forever had been known as the blind girl had been rejected by AGT.

Also how cool is Keith Urban? He was an unknown quantity for most Australian viewers, however I think he is finding a whole new fanbase, and if the text messages I am receiving are anything to go by a lot of woman think he is a hot tamale.

This guy is going to give his wife Nicole Kidman new credibility. On The Voice he is not flashy just sits there singing and grooving along and doesn’t need feel the need to ham it up to reel the singers into his team.

Joel Madden is another judge who may be over the top when he is trying to hook the singer, but he is funny and oh so likeable. He really is a cheeky lad, and once he is joined by his brother Benji they will be even more entertaining.

Seal has a very cool persona, but it appears to be that is who he really is. An intelligent, articulate, smooth talker.

Because the three male judges are all so good, this is making Delta Goodrem appear like she is struggling. Her over the top poses at times have “a look at me” touch about them. Also she has a hard time selling herself to the singers to get them on the team. With all the other judges having far more time in the industry they are jumping on their teams.

We are also not seeing much of the host Darren McMullen and sometimes when he enters a family scene it takes me a few moments to realise this is the host. But to be fair the host should really only be judged on how they handle the shows taped in front of a live audience.

Again another great night of singers with professional performers now showing they are now not shy about being associated with a reality TV show.

First up was Matt Hethrington who has done a lot of gigs and musicals. He said he thought he would have been famous by 21 years of age. He is in his mid thirties now and even though he has worked solidly in music he is seeking something more.

He said “I want to be the voice because I have so much at stake it could make such a difference in my life.” I suspect this statement has something to do with the fact he is about to become a father.

He dressed fairly conservatively but then sang rock song Evie. It looked like no judge was going to turn around but then he screamed out come on Delta and she turned around as she is obedient like that. Hopefully this guy will stick around for a little while as he gives something for the 30 plus woman to look at, and he can sing as well.  Though if he is going to continue singing rock, he may need to get a bit of rough about him.

Keith Urban revealed that when he and his wife, Nicole, started dating they had to have an alias and hers was Evie and that was why he liked this song.

Next up was 20 year old Kelsie Rimmer from the Gold Coast. As this show is all about “the voice” her montage was all about having her underbite fixed by surgery so she could feel more attractive. She did a beautiful version of Teenage Dream with Keith Urban and Delta turning around for her. She said what a lot of other singers have been saying.  “Delta I admire you so much but I am going to go with [insert other judges name here]” and this time it was Keith.

Seal said he was pissed that he never turned around once he had seen her.

Tom and Dakota were a duo so not sure why they should have been allowed to audition. They sang Grace Kelly who had cute voices. Delta was looking confused thinking it three people, but she was quicker then Seal who took far longer to clue in he kept on holding up one finger.  Not one of the judges turned around.

Peta Jeffress is 27 and she revealed she had a record deal at 15 but was dropped a year and a half later. She sang a quirky version of Wonderwall and I reckon when the judges turned around they were surprised she was white. For some reason her voice reminded me of Macy Gray.  I was surprised that only Delta turned and none of the other judges did.

One to go into the young heartthrob category Layken Hepari who is a professional skateboarder who picked up a guitar after an accident. He sang Kids. I thought his voice was a little weak, but Joel and Seal were all over him like cheap perfume.  Seal said if you come with me you will have the best chance of winning.

“He believed you, I believe in you” countered Joel. And he went with Joel.

Danni Da Ros a 29 year old wants to be a singer but her hubby wants her to have a baby. She is putting that on hold while she continues to follow her dream. One good or bad thing about these reality TV shows it does keep the dream alive longer for people now, as they know if they can connect with the audience it doesn’t matter what a record company thinks.

She sang And I Am Telling You I Am Not Going, Delta buzzed straight away. For Danni The Voice was a perfect forum for her, as she does has a great voice, but she is an ordinary looking girl, she is not ugly, but just unremarkable. I don’t think she will be one of the front runners but she does deserve to be in the competition.

Joel didn’t buzz in but said he needed to stay with his strengths. Danni ended up picking Delta over Keith something Delta looked quite stunned by.

Juddy Mac was  39 year old father, whose dream was to be a big time rock star complete with mullet dream died on stage as he sang Crazy. He looked pretty disappointed that no one had spun around. Seal said he did not quite nailed it tonight, and he was right.

Adam Hoek a 25 year old lives in Holland where he auditioned for The Voice over there but did not get on the show. So he flew over to audition here.  He sang Use Somebody and it was an OK rendition. Delta pressed but did not look truly thrilled when she turned and saw the tall geeky 25 year old standing before her.

Next was New Zealander Paula Parore a 36 year old mother show sang Adele’s  “Don’t You Remember” and she nailed it. She had a beautiful timbre in her voice all but Keith pressed and she went with Seal.

Finally there was cute Michael Duchesne a 21 year old who works as a labourer who said he was over the daily grind of it. I would advise him to go to TAFE if he wanted a career change,  but these days reality shows are the ticket to a career change as Johnny Ruffo has found out.  He had a great smile and he sang What A Fool Believes. Seal was the only one that pressed. Not sure he will make it  to make it into the live shows.

1 brain dead dave { 04.18.12 at 8:11 am }

Hopefully, Keith Urban will advise Kelsie Rimmer aka “underbites” to change her surname.

Evie’s such a great rock song, it deserved better than to be sung by a dork dressed like an insurance salesman. He expected to be famous by the time he was 21…what a sick puppy. Rooty Hill RSL material only.

I didn’t go for the Macy Gray clone version of “Chunderwall”. She put the “irk” into quirky. Smart record company to dump her. Only Delta went for it….quelle surprise.

2 Daze { 04.18.12 at 8:28 am }

Layken, Go! Really enjoyed another night of The Voice, so entertaining. Who would have thought Joel had such a likeable bubbly personality. Love the bromance with him and Seal
Great recap RR

3 Georgie { 04.18.12 at 8:28 am }

I managed to watch the last hour of this last night and I can now see why Delta is copping so much flak. She seems to lack self confidence, so comes across as superficial and unconvincing.

Not sure if it’s just me but I thought Lakyn Heperi sounded shocking and was very surprised Seal and Joel both went on about him so much?

I found all the background screaming from the audience really annoying because it drowned out the voices so can’t be sure Lakyn was as bad as I thought.

4 sue N { 04.18.12 at 8:34 am }

Am I the only one (well apart from my daughter) who is finding Seal very arrogant, and somewhat condescending??? We are loving Keith & Joel, and as my daughter said (lol) Delta is so pretty, she would pick her just for that!!! (yup- shallow sometimes ;-))

5 Izobel2 { 04.18.12 at 8:39 am }

I’m enjoying the Voice and although I shouldn’t be surprised I can’t believe how EXACTLY THE SAME the judges act/chat/banter with each other as the US version. It’s like they watched the US season and said, right, that’s how we have to do it….
I didn’t think Layken sound that great either Georgie.

And when it’s all about “The Voice”, why are the judges so terribly dissapointed when they don’t don’t press their button, and then turn around and see some sort of hottie standing there?

Overall I’m enjoying all this reality tv on at the moment. Apart from AGT which I steer clear of.

6 Georgie { 04.18.12 at 9:06 am }

“Rachel Leahcar the one who will forever had been known as the blind girl had been rejected by AGT.”

AGT may have been trying to avoid a potential DWTS/Gerrard Gosens incident. With all the fallout about RTV being exploitive and playing on the sob stories, who can blame them.

7 smauge { 04.18.12 at 9:10 am }

You shouldn’t be surprised Izobel2, they basically hired the same judges – 1 x Blonde starlet, 1 x Country music hunk, 1 x Tattooed alt rocker, 1 x Cool token black man.

8 littlepetal { 04.18.12 at 9:56 am }

This was posted by sue N on an earlier post:

sue N { 04.18.12 at 7:40 am }

if we are talking about “undiscovered talent”- Rachael (blind girl) has also won national comps and released albums- so much as I thought she had a good voice etc- if this show is to discover people- why are they “finding” professionals?????

So I think Rachel didn’t qualify to be on Australia’s Got Talent and Channel 7 did the right thing.

9 Izobel2 { 04.18.12 at 10:09 am }

Good call Smauge. You are spot on!

10 Calliegirl { 04.18.12 at 10:10 am }

Just a small correction RR – I thought they showed Matt Hetherington’s age as 41, not mid thirties. I had to Google him as the name was just so familiar. Still not sold on Delta – so wooden! But loving the show – it is so different.

11 Calliegirl { 04.18.12 at 10:15 am }

Has anyone noticed that Rachael’s surname is her first name spelt backwards. She goes by the name Rachael Leahcar. It is called a palindrome.

12 Joseph Skyrim { 04.18.12 at 10:41 am }

@Calliegirl – I only noticed that when you pointed it out! 😛
@RR – Thanks for the recap! I only caught the last guy so I was looking forward to reading this today. :)

Curious to see how the rest of the show goes though, after the team-building. Seems like a wasted premise to make it revert back to public voting (which I find stupid) and if it gets to that I’m certainly going to stop watching. Should be alright as I figure Masterchef will be back on by then? ;p

As much as I like this show, for me it will not beat Gary, George and Matt (x2) with their cliche’d lines. ^_^

13 Susan { 04.18.12 at 10:44 am }

Anyone notice Delta straddling that buzzer stand – sitting with her legs wide apart , dress hoiked up and CFM boots on – not a good look!!!

14 Calliegirl { 04.18.12 at 11:11 am }

I didn’t notice Delta straddling the buzzer stand, but good on her, why not be comfortable. Makes me like her a little bit more.

15 kess { 04.18.12 at 12:23 pm }

Who knew Keith is so endearing and adorable, and Joel is a great laugh.
Singing shows kind of annoy me, and I’m likely to wander off – the bits I saw of the US show were confusing, I like these judges much more and these 2 will keep me viewing

16 Andrea { 04.18.12 at 2:04 pm }

RR, love the Voice so far but please stop Ronny from spoiling things! Thank You

17 PollyB { 04.18.12 at 3:16 pm }

I don’t watch these ‘talent’ shows at all, but I’m recording and ffwd-ing. I think it’s the chair/button thingy. A bit of drama. And seeing the contestants choose their mentor.
And god, Delta Goodrem. I’ve never had any inclination to take the slightest notice of her. I don’t care that she fought off cancer. Thousands are doing that daily. She is pathetic.

18 Chris { 04.19.12 at 6:11 am }

Emma
your a joke.Terrible looking women must be careful when living in glass houses. Comment on talent and ability, not appearance based on your irrelevant perception
The Show is Based on Blind Auditions………. so why comment on anything else other than delivery, voice and performance?

The fact that you are an unknown in your own industry should’nt translate to your opinions on Unknown performers in a totally different one.

19 sue N { 04.19.12 at 7:57 am }

Chris- what on earth is your problem????

20 smauge { 04.19.12 at 9:10 am }

The auditions are blind to the judges Chris. We, the audience, are being drawn in by the production and editing to take in the whole story, including background story and appearance, as well as the vocal performance. If we were also only meant to “judge” on voice alone, the production crew would make sure we don’t see them until after the audition either.
As for RR, I would have to ask you how you know what she looks like? My guess is that you’ve probably seen her on A Current Affair or Today Tonight on one of the many occasions she has been asked to offer an opinion on reality TV stories. I’m pretty sure that would disprove your final comment of her being unknown in the industry.

21 brain dead dave { 04.19.12 at 12:41 pm }

Television is a visual medium, “Chris”. This is not a great mystery.

If it was all about how these contestants sound, perhaps we’d hear some sophisticated arrangements or the show might broadcast in 5.1 surround stereo. But that would be aural turd polishing with the vast majority of vocal vandals that have been stumped up this year.

RR’s is absolutely the only RTV site I go to. Why not start your own website? There are plenty of crickets out there that would listen to you.

As smauge has pointed out to you, these are not blind auditions for the viewers. The judges, well ,they gotta eat ,too.

22 reality Raver { 04.19.12 at 1:23 pm }

Chris – Yes indeed sometimes I do struggle for relevancy. HOwever I am not getting your anger over this. What particular part of the blog post are you finding offensive? The Kelsie Rimmer bit, where it was all about how she changed her look? Or Danni? Who has said on the record she has struggled to get lead roles because of her looks?
The judges may be judging them on their voices, however the producers did not.

BDD – I decided not to go there on the Rimmer surname, but my eyebrows did raise when I saw it on TV.

Andrea – I suspect Ronny has well and truly gone now.

23 brain dead dave { 04.19.12 at 1:31 pm }

If there’s a name that should have been spelled backwards for showbiz purposes, Rimmer would be it.

24 carrot { 04.19.12 at 1:42 pm }

hey RR,
i wouldnt get too worked up abt chris’ inane comments. you’ve made this blog a great one with a great community around it as well. it just sucks that every now and then we get idiots like chris and ronny that take things too far. they seriously need a chill pill.
& i’ve seen you on tv and you look great. besides even if you were ‘terrible’ looking you still seem pretty content with your life and thats what matters anyway, right?

25 Reality Raver { 04.19.12 at 4:35 pm }

Carrot – I am not concerned. But I am curious which piece of the blog post made Chris have such a reaction.

26 sue N { 04.23.12 at 12:00 am }

I am curious- is “The Voice” for amateurs or professionals?????

Becoz there seemed to be an awful lot of singers tonite (22/04) who are what I consider professionals, some with some pretty extensive creds… so if it is a vehicle for professionals wanting another card in their hand, I am not nearly as interested… & Seal is starting to seriously annoy me! …just sayin’….

27 Sick Dave The Pit Bull { 04.23.12 at 12:43 am }

Since amateurs practice until they get it right and professionals practice until they can’t get it wrong, I would by and large suggest neither, sue N.

Some try to copy the greats ie the lame reheat of Proud Mary tonight, while others delight in destroying great melodies with awful arrangements, like the ham fisted butchering of Jealous Guy.

Some are at the Last Chance Saloon and are rolling the dice for the $100,000.

28 stella { 04.23.12 at 8:42 pm }

I would be loving the voice if it wasn’t for Delta, she is absolutely useless and not to mention just annoying.

29 sue N { 04.23.12 at 9:37 pm }

Stella- I prefer vacuous to arrogant any day, thus I would like this show much more if Seal were not on it. Delta is fluff, but fairly harmless but he is the epitome of arrogance. CANNOT stand him!!! :( (& he aint that great as a singer either, at least Delta writes songs- does he???)

My 2 preferred judges are Keith & Joel, then Delt,a and not ever- Seal!!!!!

30 Andrea { 04.23.12 at 9:51 pm }

I’m tiring a bit of this show now, everyone is already semi-professional. One girl tonight who I’ve just seen has already had the main role in “Hairspray” so to me she’s already made it. Mahalia Barnes has been singing her whole life, I don’t mind her but surely with all her contacts she would have made it by now? there’s no surprises really as they all have good voices and lots of experience behind them. is it really giving total unknown people a chance? I don’t know but I’ll stick with it a bit longer and see what happens, I’m a bit confused like you Sue N.

31 sue N { 04.23.12 at 10:06 pm }

to not pick the guy who sang Queen- such a travesty… (IMO)

32 brain dead dave { 04.23.12 at 11:16 pm }

Ch 9 are obviously keen to promote Mahowlia Barnes to the max. Big coverage on Today this morning and featured on ACA again tonight. Just a bit too obviously an inside job going on there.

The guy who sang Queen was just a bit too karoake for my tastes. His biggest problem – besides not actually being Freddie -was that he looked a dead ringer for Margie from The Biggest Loser. Tell me I’m not alone here.

33 sue N { 04.24.12 at 7:06 am }

BDD- I get your point re the Queen guy, however given some of the others that they HAVE picked- I find it unfathomable that he was not …. ;-(

Seal seriously makes me want to puke- I ff him all the time now… & to be really shallow- at least Delta is pretty!!!!! 😉

there have been some very odd reactions/choices thus far!!! not very invested in this show to date…..

34 Mistee { 05.06.12 at 9:32 am }

@sue N Seal is SUPER condescending…every time he comes on the screen…no every time he opens his mouth I just roll my eyes, he’s so full of sh%t…and not even funny or charismatic. I love all the other judges tho, especially Delta, she’s so warm and sensitive and not up herself! :0)