The Voice – The Judges Are Cool, The Voices Good, And The Stories Behind Performers Interesting

All roads lead to Jimmy Barnes on The Voice tonight, there was Mahila Barnes who is his daughter, and performers Darren Percival and Shauna Jensen had both sung with him.

Mahilia Barnes was seen to be the big drawcard for the episode, she has been talked about before the series began, she was the big story in the Sunday Telegraph, and she was promoted as soon as the episode started.

In the article she said she would have previously avoided a reality TV show.

She said:

“To be honest, if you’d asked me that question a year ago my answer wouldn’t have been very nice. But I saw something different in this show. Unlike the others, there’s a lot of integrity.

“Generally speaking, those other shows are not geared towards professionals. The Voice was different and they wanted people who know who they are as artists, people who had worked.

So with all this promo going on you guessed she was going to get through to the next round, however there was a lot of pressure for her to be good.  Mahilia did not want to be known as Jimmy’s daughter, but as soon as she started singing she kicked butt, though there did seem like some Jimmy Barnes like rasps in her rendition of Proud Mary. All four judges turned around.

Joel who knows her said “We are practically family”  and later said don’t feel obligated to go with him with his tongue firmly in his cheek.

Seal  pitched by saying “You owned, it your took it, you nailed it”, Keith Urban said he should go with him as he was the first one to turn around. That argument is a tad redundant.

Mahlia went with Joel.

How cool are the judges? Joel Madden is exhuberent cool, Keith laid back cool, and Seal is smooth cool. I love the way they all groove in their chairs before turning around. Obviously the judges are told to be lively in the chairs and do the dramatic will I or won’t I press the button. Unfortunately for  Delta Goodrem is currently being overshadowed by the other judges however when it comes to coaching she may have a chance to show her musical talent.

Most contestants tonight were profession musicians. First up in the episode as Ben Hazlewood is 23 who was in a boy band in the UK which broke up. He said “Music is my life I live it and breath it. He sang “Breakeven”. He started of shakey but improved. Joel seems to be building a pop team buzzed as did Delta.

“You have a great voice and the girls love you” said Joel.

Ben predictably said “Thank you so much Delta, but Joel. ” To be fair Delta she did not really pitch very hard for him.

Taga Paa a 26 year old youth worker sang Stevie Wonder’s  “Isn’t She Lovely”. Keith pushed and then Delta followed closely behind. I liked this guy he had a great personality. When Delta said what do you want to do in the competition and he retorted “I want to win”. Keith asked him to sing a bit of Michael Jackson and this did the trick to get him on Team Urban.

Ben Bennet a 17 year old school boy now going to a performing school in Sydney, was originally from Townsville, where his dad is still living to support the family. Delta was the only one that pressed.  Seal said he thought it was two people due to the different strength. Delta got peeved with Ben when he went to ask Seal a question about what sort of song he should have sung.

Abby Cardwell has apparently been signed to labels a few times, but they had never worked out. She sang “Ode To Billy Joe” and since she was country it appeared all the judges just were waiting for Keith Urban to buzz in which he did.  If there is going to be a country singer take out the competition, this is it.

Sarah Lloyde  busted out Christine Aguilera’s “The Voice Within”.  She had Delta written all over her and she did buzz.  Then all the guys went “Oh wow” because she is attractive. Seal said she was a potential winner, funny that he did not buzz in on “The Voice” alone. And Joel said “you have a beautiful voice and you are beautiful.”

I wonder if the show stops becoming about The Voice once the battle episodes to begin. Obviously when the judges turn around and they see someone that is attractive their smile appears to be bigger. However Australian viewers have shown in the past on voting reality TV shows that there have been some diverse winners.

Speaking of attractive Darren Percival is a forty something singer who has sung with Jimmy Barnes sang “Jealous Guy” all four turned around. Hopefully he will get to the voting section of the show, as he should put in some great performances, as well as be a bit different from the younger pop wannabes. He just about dismissed Delta when she spoke tom him, but was much more respectful to Keith Urban.  However Seal  sealed the deal with him when he said “I like the way you didn’t over sing”.

It was disappointing that Ben Potter who did a quirky rendition of  “Your the One That I Want” did not get on the show. He looked disappointed and it was no consolation when Keith said that he loved the arrangement.

Mali-Koa Podd a 20 year old sang “American Boy”. Personally I think there are much stronger singers in that mould, but Joel buzzed in. However he did tell her “That song I would not necessasirly picked for you”. So maybe later on she will razzle.

Next up were mother and daughter auditioning separately but together. Rebekah Jensen was the daughter and Shauna Jensen was a 57 who has also sung with Jimmy.

Rebekah sang first with “Seven Nation Army”, and no one turned around. I wondered if it was because her voice was very similar to Mahalia Barnes and there can only so many soul singers you can have in the competition. Maybe which order that you audition in might be an advantage or disadvantage in getting selected.

However her mother, Shauna, was very upset for her.

And then Shauna came in and they did not buzz for her either. I loved it that a contestant finally gave it back to the judges. She said “Are you mental? ” and  “I thought I was damn good. I think you have made a bit mistake.”

Seal to his credit said that she did not hit the events in the song. Meaning the points in the song when the crowd is meant to stand up and  will make the judges hit the button. Delta gave her a hug and off she went.

Glen Cummingham who has done backing vocals for Delta and others sang “Lately”, lucky for him and Delta she buzzed in. She was thrilled, but she did not say whether she had recognised his voice. I am sure the person who is to sing off against Glen is not going to be happy as you wonder if Delta will be biased. Or conversely it could put her in an awkward situation where she feels she has to put him through….

Last act for the night was Emma Louis Birdsall a 20 year old who sang Mercy and Seal was pretty excited he jumped out of the chair and started swaying his hips. Now that is a way to get a singer on your team.

Who were your favourites from the night?

1 sue N { 04.23.12 at 9:13 am }

I’m not sure that I agree with the concept of allowing professiuonal singers in this competition- it just doesn’t sit right with me.

Seal is making me want to puke, however Keith & Joel are excellent. Delta- is not as bad as the reviews are making her out to be- I greatly prefer her over Seal.

It all is starting to feel a bit contrived to me, but I guess people are really enjoying it…. I am almost at the “take it or leave it” stage tho’…. 😉

2 Ugly Georgie { 04.23.12 at 9:41 am }

The overall impression I get of The Voice is that the judges think this show is all about them.

3 Anonymous { 04.23.12 at 10:31 am }

Abby Cardwell is the daughter of iconic (former) Adelaide Channel 9 newsreader Roger Cardwell. She released CDs in the 90’s and was big in the Adelaide pub scene. She was more indie chick cutsie then (think Fiona Apple). I was surprised she is now country.

4 C { 04.23.12 at 10:33 am }

5 Sick Dave The Pit Bull { 04.23.12 at 10:38 am }

Looks like it would take a cold chisel to get Mahalia out of the refrigerator.

Agree RR, that Abbie Cardwell could go a long way. I love Bobbie Gentry’s stuff.

6 Reality Raver { 04.23.12 at 11:17 am }

Sue N – interesting view point. Do you normally like the reality TV talent genre like The X Factor, and Idol?

Georgie – I think they are told to amp it up. I must say I am liking the judges now that I am used to their antics. Delta maybe not so much but it is hard being surrounded by three big names.

C – Thanks for that info – do you think they told her to do a country song as they want some singers in that genre for Keith. It will be interesting to see what happens once Megan Washington joins Keith.

BDD – Loving the majority of the contestants, particularly ones that I expect not to impress.

7 Sick Dave The Pit Bull { 04.23.12 at 11:34 am }

C’s info is very useful. Perhaps not so surprising she’s gone country because her father Roger Cardwell was a country singer/picker and regularly appeared on Reg Lindsay’s Country and Western hour. I’ve no idea who Fiona Apple is, though.

Who’s up next? Jimmy Barnes’ grocer? Karl and Li$a were going ballistic over Mahalia Barnes this morning . That tells me a lot.

Oh and the audience going nuts merely seconds into a performance speaks volumes for the mob’s lack of smarts. It’s easy to tell when that guy was asked to sing a cappella, that the voices are heavily treated with reverb and echo.

Oh dear, this Peter $lipper stuff is getting worse by the minute!!

8 sue N { 04.23.12 at 12:01 pm }

RR- I do enjoy reality TV shows- some more than others. I am often perplexed as to audience & judge reactions tho’, and can only assume that the singers sound VERY different live v/s on the TV!!!! 😉

I don’t mind the Voice, or Idol (not so much x factor for some reason) however I do feel it is over-hyped, and I do skim through parts- especially where the singer sounds “ordinary” to me. I am now ff’ing thru Seal entirely.

I don’t know- I am just enjoying this show less each time I watch it.

& I have to say, the ratings are great, but are hugely bolstered by the Sydney share- so if the handful (or whatever) of ratings box people in Sydney all like the show (which appears to be the case)- then that explains the big ratings skew. I mean- nearly 1 million watched in Sydney- somehow I have my doubts! 😉

9 littlepetal { 04.23.12 at 12:06 pm }

I heard on the radio that the contestants on the Voice were all chosen and invited to the auditions. I guess that is why many of them have already have some experience with performing or even recording songs.

10 Sick Dave The Pit Bull { 04.23.12 at 12:11 pm }

Yes littlepetal , it’s more appropriate to call this show “Celebrity Voice”

11 imaketheshow { 04.23.12 at 1:16 pm }

Check out ‘angry mum’ Shauna Jensen performing on Popstars Live on SEVEN back in 2004. She was a judge on it. No wonder she got so aggro last night!

12 Gidgit { 04.23.12 at 1:23 pm }

That horrible Shauna woman simply nailed the final nail into her entertainment coffin. Her talent was not THAT great, nor is she appealling enough to get away with such a terrible attitute. Plus I got a big ‘delusional’ sense from her.

13 Bruiser Brody { 04.23.12 at 1:57 pm }

I watch these shows purely for ‘RTV moments’ – which you only ever get in the audition rounds…the rest is all at the whim of a teen girl beauty contest (to wit Erin McNaught voted off before “International DJ/ Who The Fk? on Dancing…)

To that end, the mum and daughter were LEAPS ahead of muppets ala “American Girl” who was woeful in even holding a note or Ben Benben, wtf was that?! Obviously they can tell a mature voice, and already discriminate by not picking em – to be fair, daughter should’ve had better song choice than one which is more about the epic guitar chorus! Is Seal on crack? Mum totally built up the song to a mega-crescendo at the end!

Can’t say how much I detest the Judges swaying a “getting into” the song by singing the lyrics (wow! you know other songs too?) – such waaankers! But its comical effect works for me…
Reality is: Aussie Country Dude Who Has Never Had A Hit Outside Country Obsessed States; Dude With Two Hits Spanning Two Decades; Dude Who Can Barely Hold Note/ One-Trick Pony; Pretty 45yo Chick In 22yo Body, Never Had A Hit! Whatta line-up! “you’ve all been such an influence on me”, ahahahahhaa!

14 Calliegirl { 04.23.12 at 2:11 pm }

Must admit I flicked between this and DWTS last night, so didn’t see all of it. Don’t like the fact that there appears to be too many singers with professional experience.
BTW Sick Dave the Pit Bull – is that you Brain Dead Dave!

15 brain dead dave { 04.23.12 at 2:19 pm }

Yes , Calliegirl. Due to popular demand(one blogger) ,I’ve gone back to my old screen name.

Check the recent Celebrity Apprentice blog for the harrowing back story.

I agree with everything Bruiser Brody said, except the “crack” about Seal. Anyone who can $hag Heidi Klum gets my “Seal” of approval, regardless.

16 sue N { 04.23.12 at 3:14 pm }

BDD- but ultimately he lost Heidi-, so does that mean he no longer gets your “seal of approval”…???? 😉 (I think he comes across as a complete self-loving twat!)

17 Joseph Skyrim { 04.23.12 at 4:43 pm }

I thought it was ok, favs were Barnes gal and uhh… the guy who sang MJ after being asked by Keith. I most enjoy it when the judges say something constructive to the singer (usually it’s Seal who does this) as opposed to their usual – that was great. You’re a winner. You look pretty. I liked your (insert musical term). Etc. Maybe the other judges are just too nice?

My interest is slowly waning though, they’d better find a good hook tonight or else I’m off to mmorpg land later. 😛

18 Fides { 04.23.12 at 4:44 pm }

It’s Delta who makes me cringe. If they wanted someone with good hair credentials who sings overly sentimental songs, why didn’t they just get Michael Bolton (though admittedly, it’s been a while since he’s had those flowing locks). What was it with her shutting Seal up when bowtie asked about a better song choice – how rude was that?! I find Delta’s high voice too screechy for my liking, but she can’t hit low notes, so I can’t see how much she can advise him of songs that best suit his voice. And contrary to other comments I’ve read elsewhere about how lovely it was that Delts consoled Shauna, when she rushed up to hug her with the “I totally get it/ I understand” blah blah blah I found it quite condescending. I hope there are more words Shauna said to her which wouldn’t make the cut for feel-good family tv.

Thanks for the popstars link – I do remember Shauna being pretty forthright on that show too.

19 brain dead dave { 04.23.12 at 5:12 pm }

Perhaps, sue N, ’tis better to have loved and lost Heidi Klum than to have never loved at all.

My guess is that $eal went a little crazy.

I agree with Joseph that the show needs to lift before I have to settle for watching some paint dry.

20 brain dead dave { 04.23.12 at 5:24 pm }

Quoting Joseph:
“I most enjoy it when the judges say something constructive to the singer”

Me too. Like “Get the **** out of here!”

21 Chunks { 04.23.12 at 5:32 pm }

Shauna is an ooooooold hand. She’s been singing around the gay bars of Sydney for a hundred years. I hope she doesn’t come after me like Charlotte Dawson for that…

22 brain dead dave { 04.23.12 at 5:42 pm }

Tonight: Shauna – “Live At The Sauna”

23 Ruby { 04.24.12 at 2:16 am }

Shauna was so good though. Her daughter, too. Guess there isn’t room for a soul wailer other than Jimmy’s gal, just like RR stated. Why have the old teacher when you can have Jimmy’s gal??? I liked the Percival guy, but why did it take so long for them to buzz him ? It’s not like these are undiscovered talented singers. It is a travesty that with such talent they aren’t huge stars in their own right . What is wrong with this country and its music scene?

BB was spot on. Big cringe factors with Seal’s freak out hip swivellin’ and finger snappin’ and Delta’s ‘Proud Mary’ cool moves. That was the time to have the bucket ready.

I really dislike Seal only after a few episodes into this show. Keith and Joel are the easiest to watch. Seal is so condescending. Just go and sing your 2 hits in 2 decades. (Thanks for that line BB)

Good to have you back BDD. You were just as funny and on point as your alter ego.

24 brain dead dave { 04.24.12 at 8:37 am }

“What is wrong with this country and its music scene? ” asks Ruby.

I’m just making an observation based on SA – Poker Machines.

25 AnonyMousse { 04.24.12 at 4:49 pm }

Pretty petty of people to say someone’s only had 2 hits, when those hits were huge ones. If your name is still recognisable to a large portion of people a decade after you had a hit, you did something right.

If this follows the same format as the American one (maybe it won’t), they’ll run out of singers before they run out of spots, forcing them to recall the best ones who didn’t get through for a second chance.

26 Ruby { 04.24.12 at 11:12 pm }

Petty ? Maybe…I still do not like him. Even Heidi saw sense.

Speaking of the US version of the show, I was sad to see Jordis Unga from the Rock Star – INXS series get kicked off in the quarter finals. She is really talented and deserves some success.

Yes, poker machines are a problem, BDD. But in Melbourne there is still a good live music scene. However not many seem to get signed or it is too hard to kick off a career independently. For the latter, just ask Altiyan Childs :) Is he still asleep on the train?