Masterchef Australia – It’s Back and Kicks Off Sunday 6 May

Masterchef Australia is back and Season Four will start on Sunday 6 May at 7.30pm. It will screen on weeknights at 7.00pm and yes that means it will be taking on The Block.

The show was launched in Melbourne last night in spectacular style which proclaimed that Network Ten and Shine Productions were confident they had a hit show on their hands, and I must admit I am excited.

The season will kick of with the top 50 in Melbourne but after that it returns to Sydney.

Tonight at the launch there were many familiar faces from the show. Including two of Reality Ravings readers favourites Kumar and Rachel.

Kumar says the show has changed his life and his cookbook will be out by Mothers Day next year. The book which will include his original drawings as well his recipes which with draw upon his Sri Lankan heritage. I think it is a unique concept. Rachel is working in the food industry both front and back of house, and she had nothing but positive things to say about the support she got from this blog and its readers.

As I told her them Reality Ravings is ageist and does prefer the contestants that are over 30.

What was interesting was how many of the contestants life had changed direction because of the opportunities they had come their way since they left the show

Philip Vakos (see below) has opened his own Spitiko Restaurant in Melbourne, and is an ambassador with Chris Dip’s.

Skye Craig’s (see above) dessert business is going great guns as well and her cookbook  Wild Sugar Desserts is selling well.

Jimmy Seervai says his restaurant will open at the end of the year, and the delay of its opening has been because of family reasons, he has a two year old, and is about to have twins in two weeks.

Of course the young guns were there. Jay who has put his money where his mouth is the only person from Season three that has opened an eating establishment called Hux@Norton. It is in Leichhardt in Sydney and he says it is going well.

Also Michael who was runner up last year has been working at Gary Mehigan’s Fenix, and is off to work in London. Hayden Quinn, who last week won Cleo Bachelor of the Year was there and he laughed when I enquired whether he saw Dancing With The Stars in his future.

Also Dani Venn is working with Nova in Melbourne and has other media commitments. She said she had not really been cast as the villain but really got the title in default after Sun was eliminated. So clearly she is not scarred from the conversation she ignited in cyberspace. Her advice to this year’s Masterchef contestants is just surrender to the process.

Ellie is also working in catering and is contemplating getting her Masters in Gastronomy next year.

This year they said it is going to be “all about the cooking” quite frankly I hope it is not all about that as what will I have to recap!

David Mott, head of programming at TEN said the overseas chefs will be Jamie Oliver, Rick Stein and Cake Boss’s Buddy Valestro. He also said ”MasterChef Australia is a program that people hold dear, one that has not only changed the way we watch television but created a social movement in this country.” Maybe the hash tag on twitter should be #occupymasterchefau then…

“This season is no less exceptional, the calibre of contestants is outstanding, the guest chefs and challenges are superb and we again focus on real food, with real people, telling real stories. It’s a season not to be missed.”

The overseas trip is yet to be filmed, however I am going to guess Bangkok. As the Qantas is one of the sponsors of the show it has to be one of their destinations. However I am stabbing in the dark with that one.

TV Tonight also has a great article on his site and when he spoke with Matt Preston he said the immunity challenges have been changed, and the mystery box and invention test will also be brought back. Obviously George Calombaris and Gary Mehigan are back as well, and are joined by Matt Moran as mentor.

Masterchef Australia on Network TEN from Sunday 6 May at 7.30pm, then from 7pm on weeknights.

Below are a couple of more photos from the launch:

Above: Matt Preston, Chris Badenoch, and Julia.

Above: Kumar and Gary Mehigan

Above: Poh with Matt Moran

Dinner above and the dessert buffet below

Related Posts

1 sue N { 04.24.12 at 6:38 am }

“kick of”…??? ;-) ……. (sorry for picking on you, lol)

2 Betty Ballsqueezer { 04.24.12 at 7:58 am }

I guess we have to blame the jetlag and the free aloholic drinks for the poor grammar. She’ll be ok once recovered.

3 brain dead dave { 04.24.12 at 8:24 am }

Who was serving the punch? Matthew Newton?

I can’t see any problems for Ma$terchef wiping the floor with The Block,either. Just haven’t been able to watch The Block without the mute on.

Thanks for the photo of Skye,RR. Didn’t need the shot of deluded Dani, however. Poor Chri$ B …he looks like an anorexic ant next to Jowl$y.

4 sue N { 04.24.12 at 8:35 am }

lol- if alcohol is involved- all is forgiven….& I may be just a teeny weeny bit jealous!!! ;-)

5 littlepetal { 04.24.12 at 8:39 am }

Let’s hope it is all true about the cooking. It’s good to hear that many of them are doing well. I still can’t understand why Jimmy’s restaurant hasn’t open by now. He committed to the shop like 2 years ago? Doesn’t he has to pay rent even though he is not doing business?
Jay is still doing his fancy plating in his restaurant and he is still finding his feet. The initial review was not very good.

6 brain dead dave { 04.24.12 at 8:48 am }

“This year they said it is going to be “all about the cooking” ….”

That furphy was thoroughly shot down in cooktop flames last year.

It will be all about the incompetent cooking is the truth.

7 Reality Raver { 04.24.12 at 8:53 am }

Betty Ballsqueezer – If that is a pun on Betty Blockbuster I love it.
Point taken on the grammar it was a shocker but I can’t blame alcohol, even though I do have propensity to overindulge I did not last night, just tired. I knew if I wrote myself off I would be more behind then I currently am.

Little Petal – Jimmy said he still had the site. I reckon with three kids under 3 it will be a struggle to open even then. He still has his other products out on the market.

BDD – Is just as stunning in real life, and even though Phil Vakos did not get much lascivious attention from this blog when he was on the shows, he was very good looking and charismatic in real life.

8 Q { 04.24.12 at 9:56 am }

even though I wasn’t a fan of jay’s I’m tempted to go try his food, he has a $30 deal for 3 courses for the rest of this month, according to his website…

9 Joseph Skyrim { 04.24.12 at 9:58 am }

Yay, I’m looking forward to this starting up again! :)

10 Fides { 04.24.12 at 10:12 am }

Thanks for all the news of former contestants – always interesting to see what they’re up to. Go Kumar – now there’s a book I’ll definitely be interested in. Kumar, Rachel and Skye look gorgeous too – can’t they do a MC all stars with those three in it? RR were any of the previous winners there at the launch? And do you know anything about whether or when Adam is opening a restaurant that there’s been so much talk of?

I was saying to RR on Twitter that the ads for this year’s MC don’t inspire me. All the promos I’ve so far seen show alarming incompetence – there’s the girl scaling the salmon which is clearly distressing George, or one who sets fire to her bench, or the guy making risotto… Far cry from when we’d want to watch to see how amazing the contestants are, now it’s like, let’s see how bad this is. They might all end up being great cooks, but it’s just an interesting way CH 10 have chosen to promote it compared to previous seasons… makes me not want to watch, but I know I’ll be doing it all the same.

11 Joseph Skyrim { 04.24.12 at 10:30 am }

Fides I think you’re on a cracker idea, but instead of MC all stars they should just do… Masterchef Babes. All the female hotties from previous seasons come back and have to cook wearing bikinis. One of their challenges can be to put sausages in their tacos or something… I’m sure that would make George sweat. :P

[Suddenly the portion of older female viewers drops as exponentially as the younger males begin to watch - purely for culinary reasons ofcourse!]

12 michelle26 { 04.24.12 at 11:51 am }

Thanks for the snaps of past contestants RR – its great to hear that MC has been a positive in their lives.
And I’m very much looking forward now to 6th May.

13 Reality Raver { 04.24.12 at 12:58 pm }

Fides – I agree a best of would be great bring back the old favourites, and all the ones I spoke to appeared to have positive experiences of the show.
Kate Bracks was there but only saw her on the other side of the room. I did not see Julie and Adam, but I think Julie is contracted to NINE, and Adam is doing a show for SBS. But I may have just missed him.

14 Izobel2 { 04.24.12 at 1:06 pm }

I’m with you Michelle26, looking forward to 6th May.
My one request as always is to show every dish.
My Kitchen Rules did it, so why can’t MC?

15 brain dead dave { 04.24.12 at 1:45 pm }

RR,Julie Goodwin is contracted to Nine-she pan fried some Pork Shitzel on Today this morning.

Now even I can do that……not being a Ma$terchef.

16 Mrs T { 04.24.12 at 1:56 pm }

I’m tentatively looking forward to this season, it doesnt sound like it will be jam packed with celebrities this year, but I’m already bracing myself for the shameless cross promotions.
Who’s Phil Vakos? I totally forgot he existed.

17 Mahlia { 04.24.12 at 2:15 pm }

This season is going to have to be very good if it is to match the competition of reality TV choices at the moment.
It’s getting to the stage where it may be old hat for many

18 brain dead dave { 04.24.12 at 2:45 pm }

I’ve just seen the young guy with the risotto that Fides refers to. Put that with the guy who gets the tin can stuck in a chicken and the other promos, one does have to wonder at Ten’s strategy because so far it adds up to a celebration of incompetence.

Oh yes, who the **** is Phil Vakos?

19 Fides { 04.24.12 at 3:21 pm }

Phil Vakos was a nice Greek boy who loved his grandma. And I remember he wore these alarming denim cut offs when he returned home after being eliminated.

The ads this year remind me of the horror of Dani’s cupcakes and the fizzy drink she served in one of the NY challenges. If that is the level we’re to expect, this is gonna be hard to watch. Only this blog will get me through it.

C’mon Ch 10, all stars would be a hit! I’d also like to see Rachel Finch and Eamon back if it’s specifically MC BILFs.

20 brain dead dave { 04.24.12 at 3:45 pm }

C’mon Fides, how can you forget Dani failing at toasting a bun? That’s what I call pa$$ion. Australia’s best amata cooks.

Boom , boom,shake the room!

21 AnonyMousse { 04.24.12 at 4:29 pm }

They haven’t been to Italy or Japan yet, both bastions of cooking. And Japan’s tourism’s taken a dive thanks to the tsunami/nuclear issue, so it wouldn’t shock me if that was chosen. Japan’s tourism board would probably be a lot more helpful than normal to a show with viewership like this right now. Maybe not, though.

22 brain dead dave { 04.24.12 at 4:39 pm }

Yes Anonymousse but they eat whales in Japan,making it an extremely dangerous trip for Jowl$y.

23 Moo { 04.24.12 at 5:00 pm }

“the calibre of contestants is outstanding”

Don’t they say this every year?

And, gee, look at how the contents in the last two seasons turned out!

24 Georgie { 04.24.12 at 5:55 pm }

Did you get allotted a position at the trough too RR?

Num num num…

Who says you’re not a mover and shaker in the RTV industry – getting a guernsey at the MC launch no less!

You go girl and well done.

25 Maz { 04.24.12 at 8:18 pm }

Thanks BDD. Now have visions of an invention box featuring whale (and all the blubber).

Haven’t seen the risotto ad yet. Have seen the ‘no eggs’ ad one too many times.

26 Fides { 04.24.12 at 8:36 pm }

BDD – thanks for reminding me of Dani’s burnt buns, that was hilarious, and more so because it was towards the pointy end of the competition too.

I hope they don’t pull more stunts like last year’s screwing Maggie Beer’s terrine (or whatever it was) by the too-short cooking time, or do more stunt casting with Dalai Lama types. Or do the finale sandwich with another shiny new show which will be instantly doomed – surely they learnt their lesson on that one.

27 brain dead dave { 04.25.12 at 1:15 pm }

Matt Moran copped a serve on Media Watch this week over cash for comment issues. He took $700 odd bucks for making a single Tweet praising Kangaroo Island as a holiday destination from the South Australian Tourist Commission. Same with $hannon Noll.

Ajay called the same place the ar$e end of Australia.

It’s a nice place,albeit freezing at this time of year. Lots of tourists in summer now that roads are sealed etc but would you want to be mixing with tourists that rate nasally Noll$y and Matt Moron?

28 brain dead dave { 04.26.12 at 9:05 am }

Still calling the wannabes “Australia’s top home chefs” on the newest sickening promo for this jaundiced juggernaut.

It just simply isn’t true, Ma$terchef.

29 Georgie { 04.26.12 at 9:18 am }

Bugger – I forgot the Pro Bullriding bdd. Not used to watching TV at this time of the day – bugger again.

30 Joseph Skyrim { 04.26.12 at 4:25 pm }

@Moo – They don’t give you the context when they say“the calibre of contestants is outstanding”. They could be telling the truth, just that they’re outstandingly bad, strange, or untalented? :P