The Voice Australia highlights – Sarah Lloyde and Jerson Trinidad

With a wonderful rendition of ‘The Voice Within’ by Christina Aguilera, 24 year-old Sarah Lloyde certainly proved that she’s got The Voice within! As one of many young female vocalists on Delta’s team, the Adelaide singer has performed since a very young age, but admits that her passion for music lead to many years of bullying in primary and high school. But she has never stopped singing and made her theatre debut in Jesus Christ Superstar in 2010. She’s especially fond of music from the 1950s and cites Etta James as a big inspiration.

Prior to The Voice, Sarah had auditioned for Australian Idol in 2007, where she failed to move forward from the semi-finals, losing against the likes of Natalie Gauci, who was eventually crowned the winner.

She’s not the first contestant on Nine’s new show that has appeared on Australian Idol. I spotted Idol 2009’s Casey Barnes performing Lady Antebellum’s ‘Need You Now’ with a female contestant named Michelle, and the pair were unable to impress.

Sarah’s Australian Idol audition can be viewed here, where the then-19 year-old sings Beyonce’s ‘Listen’.

Meanwhile, for her online audition for The Voice, she sang ‘At Last’ by Etta James, which can be watched right here:

Also from her YouTube channel, you can listen to her amazing cover of ‘Different Worlds’ by Jes Hudak here:

And like many other contestants, you can follow Sarah on Twitter at @slloyde.

Also making on Delta’s team, just last night, is 39 year-old Jerson Trinidad, who auditioned with the support of his sister and best friend. I was completely blown away by his amazing performance of John Legend’s ‘Ordinary People’. It’s definitely something you want to check out! Have a listen here (the official YouTube page for The Voice likes to pick and choose which performance they upload, so you can only check some out on the Nine website).

The Phillipines-born Melbourne performer moved to Australia when he was a teenager, and has become a professional singer after competing in many talent quests. His musical experience has included both as a solo artist and as a member of several groups.

Watch Jerson perform ‘Ain’t Nobody’ with Erika Lapina and Charlene Sotolo, here:

It does seem that the older contestants are coming on the show at some disadvantage because of their bankability in comparison to the much younger singers, but let’s see what the judges can do to help them in their music careers. But seeing many past Idol singers coming on both The Voice and The X Factor Australia (Tarisai Vushe), I’m doubtful that many will succeed here.

1 brain dead dave { 04.24.12 at 9:59 pm }

Yes,Anthony ,I thought Jerson was very good and expect him to last quite a while.

2 Susan { 04.24.12 at 11:44 pm }

Please dont let me be the kiss of death – but I loved this guy…..

3 Georgie { 04.25.12 at 12:07 pm }

I thought the filling of the ‘last stalls in the stables’ in last nights show was laughable.

Seal and Joel ended up with a couple of very ordinary performers at the end. I bet all the judges wished they could go back to a few ‘passed over’ performers to fill their remaining spots.

4 brain dead dave { 04.25.12 at 12:16 pm }

Not many Black Caviars in those stables either, Georgie.

Maybe four of the forty eight are worth throwing a saddle over in my book. Rachael Leahcar. Abbie Cardwell, Jer$on Trinidad and the young blonde Christian chick in the green near the end last night,whose name eludes me.

The rest can go to the glue factory.

5 Georgie { 04.25.12 at 12:29 pm }

You’re right with that observation bdd – but the show has to be dragged out to its conclusion, starting with a full stable. I just hope there’s no home viewer involvement in deciding the winner.

6 brain dead dave { 04.25.12 at 1:04 pm }

There is some Facebook voting on the horizon , Georgie , though I’m unsure how much weight that will carry toward the ultimate”winner”.

7 AnonyMousse { 04.25.12 at 1:56 pm }

I’m surprised they got all their members without giving people second chances – doesn’t this mean there were people invited to audition who never got a chance to sing because the 4 judges had already filled their teams? How would those people feel, wasting their time coming to Sydney only to find they wouldn’t even get a fair chance to be heard? At least with the American version everyone got a chance, and after that the almost-got-theres got a second one.

8 mel { 04.25.12 at 7:22 pm }

l was waiting too for the second chance too but maybe just too many people applied here, l think Seal got the best singers.

9 Joseph Skyrim { 04.26.12 at 4:59 pm }

I agree that Seal got the best voices but it won’t matter since the teams have to basically annihilate themselves first and only the strongest from each stable gets to the final – which is most likely decided purely by public vote… that is if they follow the format of the overseas versions.

10 littlepetal { 04.26.12 at 5:15 pm }

Is there a possibility that what we saw on our television is not the sequence they filmed the auditions? I don’t watch all the time and I can see whether the judges/coaches wear the same outfit all the time. They have to film the auditions over many days.

I somehow have the feeling the producers ‘rearrange’ the auditions

11 Georgie { 04.26.12 at 5:27 pm }

littlepetal – it’s interesting that you bring that up. I haven’t watched every episode either. I saw the last hour of last nights show and was thinking – wow Delta has had that same black dress on for weeks, it must be getting a bit on the stiff side by now.

12 Susan { 04.26.12 at 5:53 pm }

A previous poster posted some spoliers and did indicate that the order had been dramatically changed around.
Have been thinking the same too Georgie on Delta’s dress – phew!

13 Different Worlds collide with Jes Hudak | Valleyarm Digital Music Distribution { 07.11.12 at 12:01 pm }

[…] cyclical journey from seed to sow, returning to reality television as the promotional song for The Voice Australia. The exposure offered by the shows launch was invaluable to Jes and thrust her immediately into the […]