The Block – The Houses They Bought Were Not In Such A State Of Disrepair

This story normally comes up most years of The Block what the houses or apartments looked liked when they were bought by the show and what the look like when production starts.

Here are the current block houses in South Melbourne when they were being advertised for sale, and OK there may be only one inside shot, but those floor boards look like they were in OK condition.

Thanks @Ooly13 for sending it to me.

Also there appears to be complaints already on Twitter that there are too many challenges and not enough focus on the renovations, what are your thoughts?

1 brain dead dave { 04.27.12 at 6:08 pm }

Following from Boner’s class, I’ll be presenting a tutorial next week on “People Who Got Drunk And Did Drugs With Bon Scott In Adelaide 72-76”

(2 days)

2 Betty Ballsqueezer { 04.27.12 at 6:18 pm }

BDD, good topic, should be fun.
When are you planning a class on the other 90% of the Adelaide population who got drunk and did drugs in these years without Bon Scott?

3 Culinary Boner { 04.27.12 at 7:34 pm }

PollyB, the Ian Dury concert was sensational but was elevated by some of the dross my less discerning younger self wasted his hard-earned on in the early 80s – Ultravox (awful, just awful new romantic tosh), U2 (never been a fan, and even in their 1984-5 incarnation were way over-rated in my opinion), Devo (by then, were simply cashing in and targeting teeny boppers), Tangerine Dream (the sound system didn’t work for the entire first 50mins, and most left, so by the time we could actually hear them the gig was a disaster), Kraftwerk (should have been sensational, started great and then it all got as boring as a metronome) and for Aussie bands, the Birthday Party (not bad, Nick Cave was a total tosser back then but he did sorta improve with age) and the Laughing Clowns (I used to really like their off-key brass playing, and Ed Kuepers flat-as-tack singing, can’t for the life of me determine why now).

Good old Ian Dury was the absolute stand-out in retrospect. Bless ‘im.

Adelaide truly was the home of decent Oz Rockers, bdd – Bon, Doc Neeson, Barnesy.

Sorry to bore Betty Ballsqueezer and the other young ‘uns with this reminiscing.

This site is now becoming like an off-season footy fan site where everyone starts random topics and bear-baiting each other just to maintain interest.

C’mon Raver, can’t you reel in some celebs or reality TV wannabees for us to play with?

4 PollyB { 04.29.12 at 9:47 am }

CB, I watched a doco on The Saints release of I’m Stranded the other night. I was surprised to learn I was 11 years when this was released. I’m figuring Countdown is the only reason I knew of them so young. Chatting with friends about it and one thought Radio B were a fantastic band, way better than the Saints. I always liked the Saints and cannot for the life of me remember a Radio B song! It was good hearing such raw music. Keuper, Cave, Radio B guy, Damien Lovelock all appeared in the doco. And Chris Bailey of course.
As for Barnes and Neeson. We had a round of underage gigs here and I saw Chisel and was bored shitless. Barnes standing in one spot smoking a ciggie. Pfft. I’ve never seen them again. We also had The Angels, and what a blast that was. Doc is a legend and I’ve seen the Angels countless times.

5 Culinary Boner { 04.30.12 at 9:34 am }

PollyB, a highlight of my late school years was NYE 1979 and being at the Sydney Opera House when one of Doc Neeson’s ban mates copping a full beer bottle on the scone, followed by ensuing crowd riot. My mates and I (pimple farms the lot of us) were fortunately away from the ‘action’ but in good enough possie to see the unfolding spectacle.

Agree with what you say about Countdown. Massively underrated in its influence over younger kids like myself who watched it from its inception. For every William Shakespeare, Hush, or Squeak they’d also showcase more serious trend-setting bands, especially from the UK. And I always liked how the teeny-bopper girls in the audience would take the piss out of Molly.

No doubt this is boring the shit out of Betty Ballsqueezer.
Though I gather she may have troubles of her own – http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/woman-kills-man-squeezing-his-testicles/story-e6freuy9-1226341391205

6 Betty Ballsqueezer { 04.30.12 at 10:43 am }

CB (Are you Peter or Gary?), you are right, I find these retro stories quite boring.
Not as boring though as the ‘Fashion Week Uncut’ that RR is trying to promote on here.
Thanks for sharing the ballsqueezer story.
If the guy hadn’t died it would have been quite funny.
Thankfully I have developed my technique over the years to avoid any casualties.

7 Culinary Boner { 04.30.12 at 10:52 am }

Good to hear you’ve perfected your technique BB.
The hands of a milk maid?

8 Betty Ballsqueezer { 04.30.12 at 11:03 am }

CB, I think milking would be a whole different ballgame so I would say ‘not quite’.

9 Georgie { 04.30.12 at 11:28 pm }

Hey Dutch Courage, have you got your numbers for the 50 million Oz Lotto tomorrow night? This great country is built on the proceeds of gambling isn’t it?

10 Betty Ballsqueezer { 05.01.12 at 9:27 am }

Hey Georgie, sorry to disappoint you, no lottery tickets here.
Are you off to the pokies again today?

11 Georgie { 05.01.12 at 5:58 pm }

No Betty B, I’ve been working all day. I have got some Oz Lotto for tonight though and I do own a few shares and like watching the stock market. Sorry to disappoint you, but I don’t do pokies.