The Block – Mike and Andrew Won This Weeks Room

I know by nearly 1.5 million people last night but I am finding it really difficult to get into The Block this year.

Maybe I am finding it difficult to emotionally connect with the couples or the cast. Obviously I watch it but does it have my full attention? No.

Apart from Mike and Andrew, I feel I have seen the other three couples before in previous seasons. Attractive, nice but not particularly charismatic or even that bright. Each week we have the same plot line of the room being renovated, the problems dealing with the three million tradies that actually help get the room ready, the shopping and the sleep deprivation.

However clearly I am on a silo on this one, as the ratings do speak for themselves.

However one addition I am liking is Shaynna Blaze being a judge as she is adding an interesting perspective to the show, with views that may not align with John McGrath and Neale Whittaker’s. In fact I even liked the new dynamic guest judge gave Darren Peters last night. More guest judges should be brought in.

Dan and Dani did not finish their room as there was a problem with the sink in their ensuite, so they had no hope of winning. Also Sophie and Dale may need to switch it up a bit as their retro style does not appear to be getting the love from the judges. I also find it amazing that anyone can spend $200 on a cushion for a bed. Go to IKEA….

The boys one with their bedroom and ensuite even though it did not have a towel rack. Lucky for them they won $10,000 towards their renovation budget.

Tell what you like or don’t like about The Block.

1 Bambico81 { 05.07.12 at 1:42 pm }

I’m glad the boys won! Out of the 4 couples, they are the only ones I kind of like, and like you said, I also feel we have seen the other couples reflected from some other couple in previous series. The format is getting boring… whinge, challenge, whinge, renovate for 10 minutes, challenge, whinge, winner. I am only watching Sundays episodes now, it’s the most exciting of the week, recap and winner!

2 Maz { 05.07.12 at 2:56 pm }

Think after Renovators, people wanted to see a bit more renovating and less gimmicky stunts like spending three days out of the block during ‘hell week’.

Its not so much the couples…just the producers choosing people who have no prior renovation experience who will be comparatively docile than someone who has the experience.

Sophie and Dale are trying too hard to replicate Josh and Jenna.

Overall there have been no ‘wow’ moments. Its all bland design (and we are not blaming the couples entirely) for the crap layout.

Seriously, would you really have such a narrow ensuite. Personally wouldn’t bother. Don’t want the mould in the bedroom.

3 sand { 05.07.12 at 3:17 pm }

Last season of the block, i totally enjoyed it but this season feeling different. Its the same boring thing over and over again. I feel that the rooms are even similar to last seasons and sophie and dale remind me of Josh & Jenna.. boring….I’m glad the brothers won. Their room was the best & the I really liked the toilet flush hidden.. very clever! I’m only now watching sunday to just see the room reveals & recap for week

4 Chunks { 05.07.12 at 5:40 pm }

I’m rooting for the brothers, although Andrew is a bit of a sook when things aren’t going his way. All the others are reasonably likeable but Dani is a tad annoying and the inability of some of the guys to compromise is going to the source of much entertainment I’m sure. Product placement and the stupidly contrived challenges are OTT. I’ve taken to having the week-night episodes with the sound down so I can just ogle Dan in his King Gees and not hear all the whining.

5 nittywitty { 05.07.12 at 6:19 pm }

Only watching Friday and Sunday .
Where is the big red house ?

6 JM { 05.07.12 at 7:21 pm }

Only watching Sundays. Can’t bear the stupid competitions – I hate them so don’t bother watching the rest of the week. As mentioned above, the couples are the same as previous years – boring, inarticulate and clueless, except for the brothers. My all time favourite couple were the two fat blokes who were lifelong buddies and hilarious.

7 Lisa { 05.07.12 at 8:32 pm }

I agree, more guest judges. New judges every season in my opinion. Otherwise each season caters to the same taste.

8 I am not watching { 05.08.12 at 10:53 am }

Still addicted to The Block. At least the interviews are not rehearsed, predictable, as in all Channel Ten productions. There is no excessive sound track manipulating your expectations.

The reason why I think the Block works for me is for how the contestants behave as themselves because the cameras are trained on them constantly. I don’t watch the show for renovation tips, but for how relationships work in stressful situations. Favourite couple is D&D. S&D squabble too much, the brothers get edited out of the show as they are too secretive. Dan especially, makes it a point to be entertaining, positive, generous with progress information, honest about their competitiveness, even pulling the silly stunt of trying to forge strategic alliance with the brothers in front of the camera! I wish them the best, even though they are against stiff competition, the brothers’ management skills, Sophie’s quirky taste. I have no opinions about B&L yet. Other than the couch bicker over the first room, I don’t really see much of their working relationship.

9 Mahlia { 05.08.12 at 12:04 pm }

Agree with Maz. I’m so over the gimmicky stunts.
It’s a turn off and can’t be good for the ratings.

I think they should change judges every year, otherwise they’re just catering to the same taste year after year.

10 Lauren { 05.08.12 at 2:11 pm }

I’m usually a big fan of The Block but I am getting really annoyed with it this year – I still watch, but it’s not riveting viewing like it used to be.

The product placement is over the top and I’m sick of the number of challenges – you can’t seriously tell me that the teams completed two rooms while having three days out doing challenges. Scotty (or his writers) treat the viewer as a bit of a dummy. Viewers think they are tuning in for a renovation show but it’s more like watching a game show.

I miss The Block from series one and two where you saw them doing the work and how much they were spending on renovations, tradies, decorating – they’d put the figures up on the screen and you could compare what the teams were spending.

11 Candice { 05.12.12 at 11:55 pm }

I like that Andrew and Mike won. I think the couples just amplify and repeat whatever Scotty says the judges like/dislike when he does the scoring. Lara especially was bummed out over the brothers winning when they didn’t have a towel rack, but she fails to compare not having a towel rack to choosing ugly flooring and installing fixtures that can be faulty and get damaged which are HUGE errors in comparison to snapping in a towel rack and TP holder. One is a matter of taste the other just a matter of 20 more minutes. I agree the judges erred on the side of 20 more minutes.

12 Jo Prescott { 06.02.12 at 10:57 am }

What perversion of common sense, or appreciation for the intellect of the viewer, allowers the writers to believe that watching contestants paint big blocks with red paint, or auction off a chair, is riveting, or even entertaining viewing. Intersperse that with the usual overload of dreary ads it’s one more of most of what’s on offer – utterly turn-offable TV.

13 Erie { 12.05.12 at 5:14 am }

I’m so over the Block Australia and it’s only just begun. Isn’t the show supposed to be about renovating? There’s so little shown about the actual house improvements and work being done, it very frustrating. Who wants to see a bunch of 30 somethings play stunts and compete in silly games with each other? The Block NZ was SOOOO much better. Shorten the number of shows and make it more about renovating and I’ll watch it!