Masterchef Australia – Campbells Stock No Longer A Sponsor?

So after three years the judges finally ask a contestant why they had not made their own stock? I take it Campbell’s is no longer a sponsor of the show. Were they miffed that the company were sponsoring Manu Feildel, judge, of that other cooking show?

Eighteen year old Matt, who was making risotto, was the poor kid who felt Gary Mehigan and George Calombaris’s ire.

It went like this.

“Are you making your own chicken stock?” asks Gary.

“I am using the stock that is available in the pantry” responded Matt.

“So your risotto will essentially taste of something you have not made?” queried Gary.

He then sticks the container like it is toxic waste under Matt’s noise to say “Can you smell chicken?”

“Not a whole lot, no” Matt responded.

“That’s a bit scary isn’t it?” said Gary. “Very scary” agrees George.

Well clearly Gary does not think very much of the product, but really it was a bit unfair the kicked the kids butt over it, considering it had been obligatory for the past three seasons to use the stuff in a carton.

The top 50 were selected and there is some great TV in there.

Mindy the physio from Brisbane whose father is in the army is super intense and a tad obsessed even at “the audition” she said she had quit her job, and had nowhere to live. Weird she did all that before even getting into the top 50.Her Char Kway Teow got her through, and she was able to phone her father in Afghanistan to tell him the good news.

Emma the 19 year old from Adelaide was highly likeable, and also dedicated to food. She revealed she had already enrolled in a pastry course at TAFE, however her Sticky Date Pudding got her through to the top 50.

Once the top 50 were selected it was the air hostess challenge, the contestants had to cook with either “chicken” or “beef”. The top 12 contestants with the best dishes would go into a cook off to get aprons. However the person with the best dish would get an apron to go straight through.

Dalvinda, a sikh had never cooked with beef before but she did a really good curry, and props to her for actually tasting it.

Amina whose parents are Egyptian and South Korean, doesn’t eat pork for religious reasons so may come a cropper later in the competition, but at the moment her knowledge of two very diverse cuisines is helping her a lot. She made Bimbambap. I must say I am very curious to know how her parents met.

Big Kev, a Casino Marketer from Sydney cooked Cider in a Can Chicken with a Maple Syrup Glaze. At one stage it looked like he was going to be serving with the can but in the final minutes managed to get it out. The judges loved it and he was the first person through to the top 24.

I must say I was pleased that the first person through was a good looking over 30 year old male and straight. Women at home can breathe a sigh of relief we have some eye candy for season four. Oh and it looked like he knows how to cook. However he does need to get a bandanna on as he was sweating into the food, and it was not very hygienic biting the top off the oil bottle. Also not that smart he chipped his tooth.

Yukio who made a weird combination of rib eye with caramelised onions, orange butter sauce and chimichirri got through to the top 12 cook off, and hopefully he will get to top 24 as he will make fantastic reality TV. Sweet but very emotional.

Also Fillipo the financial planner from Cairns who looks like he is reality TV’s version of Steve Buscemi in Boardwalk Empire. His roast chicken and bread looked fantastic even though the leg was a bit undercooked.

Matt’s risotto’s was panned, and poor Mindy could not serve her chicken as she dropped it, but something tells me we have not seen the last her her yet.

The contestants who made the top 12 were Tekay, Lucy, Andrew, Fillippo, Caralyn, Wade, Audra, Jules, Amina, Sam, Dalvinda, and Yuko.

1 Georgie { 05.08.12 at 7:50 am }

I thought Gary and George’s treatment of Matt smacked of the ‘bully boys’ – picking on someone because you’re in a position of power and two against one etc. The poor guy felt like a piece of s**t by the time they’d finished with him. No wonder his risotto dish didn’t work out.

This type of thing makes me think that the filming is done in reverse and they scripted and filmed that whole incident AFTER the dishes were judged.

2 Injera { 05.08.12 at 7:57 am }

Agree about the stock – so hypocritical after years of acting as though it’s a perfectly legitimate ingredient. And to expect the guy to make a flavoursome stock and a well cooked risotto within the timeframe seemed rich (unlike the hastily-prepared stock).

Surprised that Yukio was top 12, given that in 90 mins he delivered a steak and condiment. And all the frantic 30 second countdown as Kevin wrestled with the can was shown to be post-prod drama-fying in the end, as somehow he had time to portion the chicken that was whole at c. 3 seconds to go!

3 littlepetal { 05.08.12 at 8:03 am }

LOL when doing a Char Kway Teow get Mindy through the Top 50. So she spent the hr putting the ingredients on the trolley and wait to cook the dish in 5 mins.

I noticed many bald headed guys (must be still fashionable).

Not sure I can keep watching Yukioh. He was trembling when he was serving his dish. Imagine what state he will be in if he is in the pressure test.

4 Amy { 05.08.12 at 8:53 am }

Yukioh is like a cartoon! I love him a little bit!

5 Maryann { 05.08.12 at 9:02 am }

I don’t understand why Matt didn’t know that rissotto is the dish of death on Masterchef, hasn’t ever watched the show? I hope he doesn’t get through he needs to do an apprenticeship. We don’t need another Ellie this year.

6 Mrs T { 05.08.12 at 9:13 am }

Yukioh is my fave! I don’t see him lasting very long but I’ll be enjoying watching him. I felt a bit sorry for Matt (Risotto boy) they really put the fear into him, why have stock in the pantry if they don’t want them to use it? I agree with Georgie, they were bully’s. Big Kev, very nice indeed…..

7 Kugelhopf { 05.08.12 at 9:19 am }

I notice the girl who fronted the promotional ad. has only had very little air time on the show. They are going to quietly bring her into the show and she’ll probably star.

8 Culinary Boner { 05.08.12 at 9:36 am }

Good call on the packaged stock issue, Raver.

This, and the winning S&M Chicken Spectacular (size queen chicken mounting a can, anyone?), were the highlights for me.
The expressions on Gary and George’s faces when discussing, let alone touching or – sacre bleu – sniffing the offending stock, were effing hilarious – “You weren’t going to use this bilge water, were you? Look sunshine that’s wee wee of the highest order. You’d be better off using some Fukushima Plant Cooling Water if you ask me, sonny”.

Seemed like a case of OTT petty revenge for non-renewal of sponsorship to me. I’m not a huge fan of the tetra pack stocks, but when I’ve run out of stuff that I’ve made myself (simmered for 3-4 hours, not effing 20mins, George) and had stored in the freezer, they are still way better than the 70s and 80s alternative of stock cubes and go a fair way to making a good quality meals.

After pimping them so hard for the last three seasons of MCA, it seems mighty unfair to malign them in this manner.

Keep it up fellas. Youse judges are always good for a laugh.

Big Kev’s tooth accident had me worried for another reason. Not sure I’m hugely comfortable with chef’s opening packages and bottles with their teeth and then dumping the contents (and saliva) into the pan. Call me old fashioned, but a knife or scissors might be a more hygienic and effective option.

9 Anonymous { 05.08.12 at 9:49 am }

Sorry to disappoint RR but they showed big Kev playing football with the Sydney Convicts which is a gay rugby union club

10 Culinary Boner { 05.08.12 at 9:52 am }

“Sydney Convicts which is a gay rugby union club”

Gee. You learn something new everyday. Convicts eh? Rum. Sodomy. The Lash??

11 oh dear { 05.08.12 at 10:06 am }

I think the cravat-wearing Henrietto Hippo is in love. The constant winking and all those very manly gesticulation from ‘Big Kev’ could be eye candy not only to RR and the rest of us common housewives.

HH has offered nothing to the show so far. Unless you count lilac and red tartan outfits. (Thank you BDD, the word lilac is so appropriate. I was using lavender – way too masculine a word for the hippo).

12 littlepetal { 05.08.12 at 11:55 am }

I love Big Kev. Sort of a eye candy and I love his accent. Also noticed the average age of the contestants are older this season. I wonder whehter they will give them weekly access to their children if those dads get to the Top 24 like they did for Kate.

13 littlepetal { 05.08.12 at 12:05 pm }

Can we have a bet that miraculously they will have 12 females and 12 guys in the Top 24?

14 Tuppence { 05.08.12 at 12:12 pm }

Anyone notice how much sweat poured off Big Kev last night? It kept dripping from his nose into his food. Yuk!

15 brain dead dave { 05.08.12 at 12:13 pm }

If they can put a person on the moon ,why can’t the Ch9 editing suite crop out the appalling footage of Jowl$y spraying food out of his mouth and into the ether when he’s in a feeding frenzy? Jowl$y and Gary take huge mouthfuls , George has got marginally more class.

Do we need Australian children picking up on the questionable eating habits of these three stooges?

Interesting point that Polly B raised yesterday about Gary’s eyes looking smaller as the series progressed. Weighing the judges Biggest Loser style at the end of each week would be be fun.

Last night the narrator slipped in the second great lie of Ma$terchef- that these are the top fifty amata cooks in Australia. Some of them are acting like they’re on The Price Is Right .

Lest we forget the real Big Kev, awesome pioneer of Australian TV infommercials. Sorry I never bought any of your stuff, mate.

16 Reality raver { 05.08.12 at 12:22 pm }

Anon – bugger maybe he is bi then. Lol

17 KC { 05.08.12 at 12:26 pm }

yep, here is a quick bio about Kevin, confirms that he’s gay (and partnered!). haha, i love that your first reaction was ‘he’s tall and good looking.. and therefore straight”!

18 on the move { 05.08.12 at 12:27 pm }

i am really happy with the diversity in this year’s competition so far! age, ethnicity, sexuality – there’s a few really cute gay guys in masterchef this year, you’re right – kevin is definately one of them! there is also apparently a lesbian and a bi-sexual contestant in the top 50. the two ladies are rumoured to have become quite close though no news on any budding romances between the boys yet!

19 brain dead dave { 05.08.12 at 12:30 pm }

Re Big Kev- Shoving a foreign object into a chicken’s ar$e- should have been a dead give away from the start..

20 Marepoppin { 05.08.12 at 1:44 pm }

Oh BDD….

21 Culinary Boner { 05.08.12 at 1:51 pm }

Raver, I think your gaydar app needs an upgrade if it equates masculine appearance and activities exclusively with straightness.

22 brain dead dave { 05.08.12 at 2:23 pm }

Yes Tuppence @ 14 Big Kev was sweating up a treat but then so did Julie Goodwin , for example. Nothing to stop such unsightly, unsanitary “quirkiness” from realising your culinary dream.

I would imagine in the very first days of being a chef apprentice, a trade school drill sargeant type would unload with:

” Hey, stop sweating into the ****ing food, you dumb **** of an apprentice or I’ll **** in your ****ing Iced Coffee before you can scratch your ****!

But this is Ma$terchef and you’ve got to sort the goose from the chickens..

23 littlepetal { 05.08.12 at 3:18 pm }

So is the goose better than the chicken or the other way round?

24 Culinary Boner { 05.08.12 at 3:20 pm }

I prefer it when it’s Turkey Time

25 Culinary Boner { 05.08.12 at 3:46 pm }

Apropos Raver’s contention that MCA is going retro… guess what dinosaur ingredient this season’s MCA website is pushing? Stock cubes!!!! – http://www.masterchef.com.au/beginners-basics.htm

Here’s their very basic list of “pantry basics”:

“The pantry
Oils: vegetable, extra virgin olive, sesame
Soy sauce
Tinned tomatoes
Balsamic vinegar
Pasta
Rice
Couscous
Chickpeas
Spices: ground cumin, ground coriander, paprika, garam masala
Salt and pepper
Stock cubes (vegetable or chicken)
Eggs”

Why the site even has useful advice on the time-tested Aussie tradition of “roots and leaves” – http://www.masterchef.com.au/roots-and-leaves.htm

26 Token Canadian { 05.08.12 at 4:14 pm }

As a Canadian following from abroad, I’m thrilled that Big Kev made it through to the Top 25. I’ll be backing him to win it all out of sheer national pride. Love that he used maple syrup in his dish, as over here we consume loads of it.

As for the whole stock thing, that just seemed silly for G and G to harp on incessantly. Quite frankly, it’s not easy to make a deep, flavourful chicken stock in less than 90 minutes, especially if you weren’t intending to do so in the first place. Hope the kid gets another chance as he was clearly thrown off his game by the Gs who wanted to make a point.

27 Georgie { 05.08.12 at 5:25 pm }

Tuppence – I kept watching those droplets of sweat dangling on the end of Kevin’s nose too. Yuck is right – they should all be made to wear sweat bands.

The way the *3 stooges go at the trough snout, snuffle and trotter, shows they don’t mind that one of the ingredients is sweat. Wonder why they baulked at eating a piece of chicken that had hit the floor?

*Thanks bdd for that gem.

28 Dr T { 05.08.12 at 8:54 pm }

I must admit my gaydar was off… I thought the hair dresser and Fillipo were gay on first sight/listen… but families and kids… there you go

29 JaniceG { 05.08.12 at 10:39 pm }

My husband forgot to set the series link on the first night so I had to record ep 3 while watching ep 2 on my computer. Was surprised that except for the baby risotto guy whom they scared the heck out of, they only showed good dishes and no failures… and you know there had to be some!

Filippo impressed me and I was glad Kev made it through because he’s a fellow North American immigrant who’s been here almost exactly the same amount of time as I have :-> However, I’m really hoping that Yukioh gets cut: I haven’t been impressed with his food and I find his nervousness annoying, not endearing.

30 littlepetal { 05.08.12 at 11:51 pm }

Just read that the Mon night rating for MC was shocking. Less than 1 million viewers and even lost to ABC News

31 Anonymous { 05.09.12 at 1:54 am }

I like yukioh the best. He is so funny but he gets a lot of air time i wonder if he will get through.

I went to high school with that Mindy chick, l am pretty sure she’s the dyke @onthemove is talking about. Who’s the bi chick @onthemove ?

32 Masterchef Australia – We Have A Top 24, But Yukio Did Not Make It | reality ravings { 05.14.12 at 12:19 am }

[…] Masterchef? Last week we had Gary going ballistic at Matthew about using pre-made stock pushing the offending article under his nose.In that case Matt only had 60 minutes to finish his risotto, unlike tonight where the twelve […]