Masterchef Australia – Introducing The Top 24

The top 24 contestant episodes kick off tonight on TEN at 7.00pm and I would like to make some wild guesses about who will take out this series title, but thought I would wait until after the first mystery box challenge tonight….

The top 24 have 14 women and 10 men, 12 contestants are under 30 years of age, and 12 are 30 years and older. Occupational trends appear split between manual labourers, students, and a few health workers. As usual there is a wide range of cultural diversity from European, Asian backgrounds, and even this year there is a Canadian.

Who are your favourites at the moment? And who do you think will be this year’s villain?

The top 24 are:

Alice Zavlasky – a 26 year old secondary school teacher she has already been identified as the hipster of series four.

Amina Elshafei – the 27 year old nurse has a South Korean and Egyptian background so should do some fantastic dishes, also she looks like she will keep calm under pressure. For religious reason she won’t eat pork, however she should go far in the series.

Andrew Strickland – a 48 year old married hairdresser whose kids encouraged him to apply for Masterchef. He admits he can’t follow recipes.

Andy Allen – the 23 year old electrician is the good looking boy of the series. He is currently at a cross roads and is looking at the reality TV show to give him some direction. As you do when you are having a mini-life crisis.

Audra Morrice – the 41 year old account manager and mum of two has an Singaporean and Indian heritage. She hopes to have a concept store which holds “Audra’s Gourmet Delights” and offers cooking courses. She looks like she could be cool under pressure, and her chocolate tart was one of the stand out dishes of the top 50. Audra is one to watch.

Beau Cook – a 27 year old construction worker wants to change his life. He admits his technical knowledge and desserts are his weak points. Don’t expect him to make top ten.

Ben Milbourne – a 30 year old teacher. He has a cookbook which features dishes from restaurants in Tasmania.

Dalvinder Dhami – a 35 year old public servant her strength is Indian cuisine, however she has limited knowledge on how to cook beef because she does not eat it due to religious reasons.

Debra Sederlan – 50 year old senior account manager who likes to cook organic food, her dream is to open a holistic retreat.

Emma O’Shaunessy – 19 year old former student her food idols are Adriano Zumbo, Donna Hay, and Maggie Beer. She wants to open her own dessert bar, but she shows she has a competitive streak as she has a black belt in karate.

Filippo Silvestro – a 38 year old financial planner who is a family man. Apparently he rings his mum each day, I hope he also rings his wife as well… He hopes to apply his wellhoned financial skills to a career in food by advising people in the industry or by being a career food writer and blogger.

Jules Pike – a 28 year old Customer Service Officer dream is to open her own food and wine bar.

Julia Taylor – a 25 year old legal secretary already has a cupcake business she operates at markets on the weekends however she would like to have shops which sells her wares.

Kath Von Witt – 38 year old art gallery director. Foodies are going to love her as apparently she is adventurous and recently cooked a pigs uterus.

Kevin Perry – is the 34 year old casino marketer. He moved to Australia where he met his partner Erik. He collects cookbooks. He could be one of the favourites at this stage and he definitely has the talent and personality, but he states he likes to follow a recipe this could be his liability as the competition goes forward.

Kylie Millar – a 24 year old Masters student and would like to open her own dessert bar. With only 15 weeks to completing her physio degree she realised she did not want to work in the health industry.

Lydia Guerrini – a 38 year old PhD student in psychology she has two kids and would like to set up a food promotional company;

Mario Mohorko – a 40 year old automative detailer however he also has his own theatre company which he has received 18 nominations at an amateur theatre awards.  He writes, acts and directs for them. Also he would like to open a cafe or restaurant which showcases Eastern European cooking.

Matt Howell – an 18 year old uni student who currently works in a fast food restaurant, he knows his inexperience is going to be a liability.

Mindy Woods – a 30 year old physiotherapist who has quit her job for the show. Her strengths are asian cuisine and she hopes to open an “Asian inspired, share restaurant with dumplings, beer, sashimi and sake”. And bad luck guys she is into girls.

Sam Davis – 34 year old private banker, he hopes to work in the food industry. His girlfriend probably is one of the few to not mind him being locked away in the Masterchef house as she is training for the London Olympics. She is a part of the water polo team.

Tran Kim “TK” Nguyen – a 22 year old has deferred her law degree. She states she has only really gotten into cooking and would like to open an asian fusion tapas bar. Her Vietnamese heritage will be her strength.

Tregan Borg – a 25 year old social worker and hopes to educate disadvantaged children about food. She also plays roller derby so is pretty robust, and will be getting married later this year. She states her lack of measuring could be her downfall.

Wade Drummond – a 28 year old commercial labourer wants to open his own cafe. His strengths are matching flavours and Asian cooking. Preparation, timing and presentation are weaknesses.

It will be interesting to see how these contestants go over the coming weeks who will be embraced by Australia and who will struggle under the intense pressure of the Masterchef kitchen.

1 Shengo3wishez { 05.14.12 at 4:10 pm }

Pretty devastated Yukio didnt make the top 24.
His initial audition cracked me up.

2 Anonymous { 05.14.12 at 4:34 pm }

Pretty devestated Mindy doesn’t like guys.
She’s really hot.

3 brain dead dave { 05.14.12 at 4:34 pm }

Eat a pig’s uterus?

Pig’s ar$e!!

4 Reality Raver { 05.14.12 at 4:43 pm }

Anonymous – I suspect you are just as devastated as I was when I found out Kevin liked boys, and Andy was only 23.

5 Culinary Boner { 05.14.12 at 5:06 pm }

I’m rooting for Roller Girl, Audra (my official milf for this season) and, though this publicly makes me a disgustin’, droolin’, dirty old perv, TK – the well-presented, hot Asian-Australian chick. In fact, given what I see on the streets of Sydney every day, Aussie TV needs to get wise and feature Asian-Australians more prominently than we see on bogan-centric shows like The Block. Oh, except on The Shire, of course.

6 librarygirl { 05.14.12 at 5:24 pm }

Daughter took one look at Alice in her big glasses and dubbed her “Hipster Kitty” because she looks like the one in memes. If you know not of what I speak just stick “hipster kitty” in google images and you will see the resemblance!

7 Chunks { 05.14.12 at 5:33 pm }

Can’t decide on any favourites this far out. How are the ratings doing?

8 Jess { 05.14.12 at 5:43 pm }

You know, I’m actually kind of disappointed that the contestants this year have such low aspirations. They all just want to do small [food of choice] bars, or little B&B type things. Does nobody want to open their own restaurant anymore? I’m guessing people are aiming low so that by the end of the season, nobody will be disappointed when all they do is write a cookbook.

9 Andrea { 05.14.12 at 6:48 pm }

Yes why does Alice wear those huge ugly glasses when there are so many nice frames to choose from these days? they just look awful on her!

10 littlepetal { 05.14.12 at 8:19 pm }

I am just about to give up MC. Tonight cooking where they were allowed to cook anything and dishes were appalling.

George is falling all over Emma. Her chocolate cake is flat and she has to stack it up and made it to the Top 3 dishes.

They have to do something about the sweating. Sweat is pouring all over the bench and dish?

11 JStar { 05.14.12 at 9:01 pm }

I guess my gaydar is just as broken as RR’s! Although I picked Kevin as gay immediately, my radar beeped with Andrew but stayed silent on Mindy.

One thing I can say that the judges have got right this year, they did not put anyone through who served up raw meat. Let us all try and forget how Alex, Andrew, and cell-phone Mat were all put into the top 24 last year despite serving raw meat during the top 50.

Falling in love with Audra. Interesting how in this competition, Dalvinder is prepared to eat beef whilst Amina has stated she won’t eat pork (or be showered with champagne).

And littlepetal, don’t give up on the show just yet. Emma hasn’t won immunity…yet! 😛 Unfortunately, luck and tears have a big bearing on this competition. How else does one explain how Sam (Season 1) and Sun, Dani, and Ellie (Season 3) all got quite far or those with questionable skill even get selected in the first place (I’m looking at you Season 2 Kate and your microwaveable food)?

12 smauge { 05.14.12 at 9:19 pm }

Any one else think Emma’s a new Danni? I was spewing when they chose her! She’s making my toenails curl already.
Super happy that Aspie Man/Steve Buscemi got in! I thought he was going to miss out last night!

13 Andrea { 05.14.12 at 9:39 pm }

Yes, I think Emma is the new Danni for sure, her hats are annoying and is she going to cook anything other than cakes? That tongue that Alice cooked looked revolting, all the things she could have chosen to cook and she picked tongue! I also would like to see everyone’s dishes taste tested not just the chosen few.

14 brain dead dave { 05.14.12 at 9:44 pm }

Ma$tersweat. Spray it again,$am.

George couldn’t help himself pumping the contestants with how Ma$terchef “scoured” the country for them and how they are the best 24 amata cooks etc. You don’t sound the full squid on that issue, George.

Yes, I could not look at the tongue being cooked/braised either. Bad TV ,that was.

Emma looks to be annoying as Danni for sure. Let’s see if she can stuff up toasting a bun.

15 kugelhopf { 05.14.12 at 10:06 pm }

How did Ben get in the top 3 tonight with tough steak? I bet super confident Julia cup “complex” cake was a little peeved about that.

16 Marie { 05.14.12 at 10:28 pm }

I was not particularly impressed with anything anyone cooked tonight. It didn’t really shock me that Emma was in the top 3, it sounded quite nice. Kind of funny that 2/3 of the ‘winners’ were failed cakes though. I like that Emma wears her heart on her sleeve and she still has time to prove herself. I also like Julia. She is assertive and smart and doesn’t fall prey to the leading, drama-creating comments of the judges.

My favourite is Amina! My least favourites are Beau, Fillipo, and Mario. I would like to see more of TK, Matt and probably a few other people who have had hardly any screen time.

17 Susan { 05.14.12 at 10:35 pm }

OMG I nearly puked thinking of that tongue – ew….

I may be liking the oldies – Debra has a great vibe about her and what I have seen her cook so far I am really liking – plus really like the vibrancy and happiness that Kath gives off – must be the age thing .. like they pretty comfortable in their own skin.

Alice must be thinking her glasses will start a trend – get over it luv!

18 Georgie { 05.14.12 at 10:54 pm }

Susan, I was liking Debra too and her approach to cooking and food in general – then she cried.

Maybe they really are courageous and I’m just a hard-arsed bitch.

19 Susan { 05.14.12 at 10:56 pm }

Ha-ha Georgie – I’m not into crying either – especially the blokes, so I will give her that one as I think she really did look overwhelmed!

20 Anonymous { 05.14.12 at 11:01 pm }

Definitely some yummy in Ben…wouldn’t mind seeing him go far purely for the eye candy factor, though doubt he’ll win….

21 Georgie { 05.15.12 at 7:35 am }

“This is you on a plate.”

Tongue? The presentation looked like a cut-out Gene Simmons relic, complete with red relish blood.

22 Lesley { 05.15.12 at 8:09 am }

First week was disappointing. If last night was any indication of what we are about to see for the rest of the competition then it will become a boring series. As a home cook I know I could have served up better dishes than the contestants and as for the tongue 75 mins. to cook three SMALL slices of tongue – YUK. Lesley

23 Culinary Boner { 05.15.12 at 8:58 am }

Personally I don’t mind a bit of tongue.
*tsk* on a plate, on a plate, ya dirty minded lot *sheesh*

24 Amy { 05.15.12 at 9:19 am }

I can guarantee that Emma will go far in this competition because she is already driving me freakin’ mental! Her voice is so annoying, I may have to mute her in future.

25 Andrew { 05.23.12 at 7:15 pm }

Mindy hot?!!! She looks like a sundamaged reptile…each to their own.

26 Lucia { 07.06.12 at 10:49 pm }

Beau DID make top 10. Who would have thought?!

27 Loz { 07.07.12 at 12:36 am }

Awks, but does anyone else ship Andy and Beau together? I feel like they’d make a pretty good couple…

28 G-dawg { 07.07.12 at 12:41 am }

I totally think Andy and Beau should be in a relationship together. They’re perf together. And everyone shut da heck up about Beau making it to top 10, especially you Lucia, ok. He is such a good cook, he aced that dessert challenge. You piness.

29 Morgan { 07.07.12 at 6:24 am }

I think Andy and Ben is a better couple, considering all the bromance they’ve shared this season.

I’ve actually liked this year’s cast. The Top 10 is pretty good and they can all cook to some extent, unlike previous seasons where’s always a few people who clearly cannot cook who make it far (S1 had Sam, S2 had Jimmy, S3 had Dani, Ellie and Sun, ugh!). Although I will say that some contestants are a bit one-demensional. And Yukio so should’ve made it. Seriously, Mario over him? Really judges?

I still think S2’s cast is the best.

30 smauge { 07.07.12 at 11:04 am }

The Andy and Ben thing was mentioned in a different thread. I think Ben had just avoided elimination and when Andy greeted him in the house everyone on here were screaming “Just pash already!!”
It doesn’t matter to me which combination of Andy, Beau and Ben gets on with it, they’d just better have a camera there so I can get my rocks off.

31 Lucia { 07.08.12 at 4:38 pm }

Didn’t have to be so mean, G-dawg :/. I wasn’t saying it in a bad way. I was actually backing Beau throughout the competition. I am very happy that he is in the top 10, as a matter of fact.

32 Loz { 07.09.12 at 1:36 am }

Calm the hell down G-dawg, Im pretty sure Lucia’s comment was pointing out that Beau does have the ability to make it to the top 10… take a chill.

33 G-dawg { 07.12.12 at 9:39 pm }

I apologise to you Lucia, I was not in the right state of mind whilst I was writing that post. My feels were all over the place, my beau and andy ship was on the rocks, and I am sorry to say, I have recently jumped ship. I do now, however, support Ben and andy, and hope they open a restaurant together called ‘Bendy Taco.’

34 smauge { 07.12.12 at 9:56 pm }

I am so THERE G Dawg!

35 Mindy's girlfan { 07.21.12 at 9:55 pm }

Mindy is Goregous!!…and guess what i’m a girl!!!!..yay me!!..lol

GO MINDY!!!!!!

36 Anonymous { 07.23.12 at 3:21 pm }

My gaydar was so loud on Mindy it was heard in 50 states!!!

hehehehehehe..She hoooootttt!!!!