Masterchef Australia – We Have A Top 24, But Yukio Did Not Make It

What is the policy on using stock on Masterchef? Last week we had Gary going ballistic at Matthew about using pre-made stock pushing the offending article under his nose.In that case Matt only had 60 minutes to finish his risotto, unlike tonight where the twelve contestants had 90 minutes to complete their dish. However Gary and George made no comment about the unmarked stock containers on the benches of at least two contestants tonight. See evidence below. There appears to be some hypocrisy on this issue.

Tonight the selected twelve who were battling it out of the last six spots had to cook a french dish, and to add to the pressure they had as guest judge french chef Jacque Raymond.

They were cooking at Montsalvat, the oldest artist colony in Australia. And it looked damn hot all the guys were sweating profusely into their dishes. Hopefully the judges had their Hep A shots before the series commenced.

As with each year there were people in the top 50 we hardly saw, which was code for they were not going to get through. So Keene, Roger and Harvey it was nice not knowing you.

However the biggest travesty was Yukio not getting in. This is the one of the first controversial decisions of the series. OK so this series is all about the cooking, but also there needs to be some entertaining personalities on there. He was a great polarising character.

Fillippo thankfully was selected even though the judges had been fairly benign about his Pissaladerie and quite critical of his cherry clafoutis. In fact Matt Preston called it a cherry omelette.

Emma was smart she kept well within her dessert bar comfort zone and made a macaron with salted caramel filling. She was warned by Jacque not to put too much salt in the caramel but in the end was criticised for there not being enough. Strangely she only presented the four judges with three macarons saying it looked better on the plate. She was the last one through to the top 24, and on Twitter people were saying the 19 year old was this year’s Dani. She appears to be talented but think once she has to cook savoury dishes week after week she will struggle.

Kath the Director of an art gallery  got told off by Jacque for putting her Bouillabaisse in a food processor. He advised her to put it in a mix master. The judges thought  it was great but did give her a tickle up about how messy she was when she cooked.  George Calombaris also said she needed to clean the mussels better.

Mindy the physio from Brisbane who has given up her job and home made pork belly and scallops with apples. It was a taste of Normandy. Jacque thought it was brilliant. Matt Preston thought it was the best dish she had cooked in the competition. She was in.

Mario the car detailer cooked Duck a’lorange with liver pate and grand marnier jelly which melted and compromised his sauce. Gary thought “The duck was well cooked, but the pate one of the worse I have seen”.

At least Mario admitted he did not think it would get him through. However Jacque loved it however thought the liver pate was unnecessary. He was in the top 24.

Karen cooked choux ala rose. However, Jacque thought the creme patissiere was too runny and the rose water overpowered the dish. Goodbye Karen.

Dom the 20 year old student made stuffed chicken wings with seared scallops and sauce albufera. Matt Preston asked whether she had the maturity to go on to survive in the Masterchef kitchen. We did not get hear the reply but it must not have eased their concerns as she did not make it.

Debra made the Walnut and Roquefort Tart her own twist on the witlof and pear salad. However she did have a pared back witlof and pear salad to serve with it. Jacque thought it was a great interpretation of the salad and Gary thought it was absolutely beautiful. It was the dish of the day and she was into the top 24.

Yukio was sent on his way, and philosophically said maybe he will find a different path. The judges showered the contestants with champagne with Amina scuttling off to the sidelines to avoid it probably for religious reasons.

The top 24 has 14 females and 10 males. There are eight finalist from NSW, seven from Victoria, three from Queensland and Western Australia, and one each from South Australia, Tasmania and the Northern Territory.

I will put the top 24 names up when they are all up on the Masterchef Australia website tomorrow.

1 Dr T { 05.14.12 at 12:30 am }

Sorry… not upset about Yukio going missing. Wondering if anyone on here wanted to see him from a cooking stand point? (not from the polarising standpoint).

Don’t think it was a big deal that Mindy gave up her job… Australia is short a few physios at the moment… she’d have found another one quickly

2 AnonyMousse { 05.14.12 at 12:34 am }

I wonder if we’ll have a repeat with Yukio of what we had in Season 3, where Alex was given a lot of screentime in the top 50 but didn’t make it, only to get a second chance when the airforce guy withdrew before the top 24 started filming.

3 Dr T { 05.14.12 at 12:43 am }

I think a kamikaze attack on Masterchef Kitchen Stadium would be a better ratings winner

4 Reality Raver { 05.14.12 at 12:53 am }

I think Yukio is a better cook than Matt, and probably better tv. He also seemed very popular with the other contestants.

5 Jess { 05.14.12 at 2:47 am }

Yukio seemed like he had a very different repertoire to, well…any other contestant on the show—ever. Adam sort of cooked Japanese food, but Yukio did crazy Japanese “fusion” food. The ingredients he used and combined were different from the same old stuff we’ve been seeing for the past three years, so I am sad to see him go.

Emma being this year’s Dani totally makes sense to me. I was trying to pick out who she reminded me of during the show, but I couldn’t remember Dani’s name.

Noticeably, for the first time ever in MasterChef Australia…there are no Malaysian contestants in the Top 24. Poh, Alvin, Adam, Billy…and now, nobody. Unless, of course, you count Mindy, who, as we’ve been told many times, lived in Malaysia because her father was in the Air Force. You have the more common French and Italian cooks, as usual, but Malaysian cuisine on the show has always been the very constant “Asian” representation. And the Malaysian cooks always doubled up with Chinese cuisine as well, so there was a good combination of flavours and techniques. I’m guessing Singaporean Audra will probably fill that void this year. She already looks to be taking the Dessert Queen title from Billy.

Right now, I’m wondering which of the Top 24 contestants is the one with the secret criminal record that they’ll boot off the show later to bring back Yukio…

6 Tvjunkie { 05.14.12 at 6:31 am }

Really, really surprised that Emma made it in… Her macaron shells didn’t have feet (which mightn’t mean much to the casual viewer, but trust me, it’s an absolute essential when making and subsequently judging a good macaron), and not having enough salt in her salted butter caramel is an absolute travesty.

I really feel sorry for Yukio.

Oh well, I’ll move on, but I don’t really expect Emma to last that long.

7 SaintsDeano { 05.14.12 at 6:39 am }

Remember last year: Paul the RAAF pilot was “reassigned”, so the wildcard went to Alex. he was chosen because of his “enthusiasm and passion”. Yukio will be back.

8 littlepetal { 05.14.12 at 7:00 am }

Emma’s macarons were shocking. They cracked, no feets and puffed up. More like macaroons to me. I can’t stand the crying. The crying may get her through to the Top 5.

I thought Yukio has some good techniques in his cooking. Would have love to see some of his fusion dishes.

Adam actually has some nice Japanese fusion recipes in his cookbook.

9 kingfisher { 05.14.12 at 7:03 am }

why oh why do they have show who is going through ,we all knew who was going and who was not going no suspense at all !!!. all ready the dani lookalike is driving me nuts “ooh i just want to be like marion ” talk about someone who seeks fame ,she’s a bit freaky .

10 littlepetal { 05.14.12 at 7:12 am }

Forgot to mention that they already knew they have 90mins to cook a French dish. They were not cooking in the dark

11 sue N { 05.14.12 at 7:43 am }

…& I am puzzled as to how Mario got thru with the “worst pate I have ever tasted” and seriously undercooked vegetables!!! Also, I think he may have been one of the contestants using pre-made stock….

12 Georgie { 05.14.12 at 8:06 am }

One crier in and one crier out – at least the crying’s been halved which is a plus I suppose.

13 librarygirl { 05.14.12 at 8:23 am }

I like Emma but I agree with the previous comments about the feet being essential to the look of the dish – Emma’s just looked like meringues to me ( I’ve made them a couple of times, believe it or not they are not that hard). I’ve never mastered the filling though and just slapped them together with buttercream so maybe her filling was good, apart from the lack of salt.

14 Calliegirl { 05.14.12 at 8:52 am }

Sorry to be picky RR, but is is Montsalvat, the iconic Artist Colony in Eltham. Just had to get that off my chest.

15 Isabel { 05.14.12 at 9:26 am }

Is Emma going to sniffle and wear a hat for as long as she’s ‘in?

16 Culinary Boner { 05.14.12 at 9:32 am }

Loved the pic of Gary administering stock therapy to Matt, Raver, with his arm almost extended out of his socket. I’m not certain the Kray Brothers would have been capable of such a monstering.
Will we see a continuation of Stockgate this year*?
Hope so.

To be picky, Jacques is how his name is spelt.

*BTW, I used *gasp* a packaged stock over the weekend. Gary & George would have probably nailed me testicles to the chopping board for such a crime against the unwritten culinary code of honour, but then apologised profusely once they saw it was Maggie Beer’s .

17 JaniceG { 05.14.12 at 9:42 am }

Georgie – I think you infected me. Web site is not posting my comment saying that it’s already been posted but I’m not seeing it here.

18 Culinary Boner { 05.14.12 at 10:11 am }

Yukio was Xandir P. Wifflebottom come to life if you ask me.
While he might have provided some interesting diversions from what is becoming a fairly dull TV viewing experience, he was on what I saw the culinary equivalent of an interior designer – inedible shit that looked pretty good.

19 Andrea { 05.14.12 at 10:58 am }

Im already sick of Emma with her hat and crying! Her dish did not look all that great compared to Yukios who did something that looked very different and interesting to me. Surely that is what the show is all about? How many times have we seen macarons? The judges made a mistake not putting Yukio through, I was half expecting the judges at the end saying they just couldn’t decide and were going to have a top 25 for the first time! I feel sorry for the contestants who never get a look in, why not just start the show with the top 24 already chosen? Also, it should be even with ten guys and ten girls, hopefully its a guys turn to win this year, please bring back Yukio, no more girls crying!

20 Roo { 05.14.12 at 11:23 am }

As someone who has spent a small part of their life dedicated to making the perfect macaron, I was yelling at the TV. No feet! No shiny surface! No flat bottom (or top for that matter). No 24 hours in the fridge to infuse the flavours. Worst. Macarons. Ever. And yet they get crying Emma into the top 24 of Masterchef? I agree with Tvjunkie – she won’t be there long so I’ll just have to get over myself. Grrrrrr.

21 Andrea { 05.14.12 at 11:33 am }

I agree Roo,although I’ve never made a macaron, I just don’t see how Emma got through with that effort, she can’t do desserts all the time. The challenge should have been for everyone to cook a savoury dish so it could be judged more fairly. Yukio deserved it more for his inventiveness at least. I hope messy Kath is not always going to serve up seafood slop! Seems she will be the seafood queen this year and Emma (Dani ) the dessert queen!

22 Mrs T { 05.14.12 at 11:53 am }

to Georgie, I like it, one in & one out! I didnt watch it but it seems the constant changing of standards might be a point of frustration this year. I decided after last week I wouldn’t watch again until they got down to the 25. I bummed that Yukio didnt make it, much entertainment to be had there. wouldn’t surprise me if he somehow found his way back into the show once the producers realise how popular he was.

23 littlepetal { 05.14.12 at 11:59 am }

I agree with you Roo. On my first attempt with macarons (BDD knew about it) even my first batch which I forgot to bake with 2 baking trays were better. Mine did crack but they were flat on top and have feet. My second batch in the oven did not crack and have feet and shinning top. (Rather please with myself!). I was like you screaming at the TV. Like the other poster said, it looked more like a macaroon or meringue.
What an embarrassment for MC

I think there is another dessert queen. She got in to the Top 24 earlier and I think her name is Kylie

24 littlepetal { 05.14.12 at 12:05 pm }

Just read Emma’s bio on the official website and she said her hero is Adriano Zumbo!!!!! Poor Adriano needs to take her in and give her private lessons in macarons to maintain his credibility. Also be gentle with her as she has a black belt in karate. Chop, chop.

25 Susan { 05.14.12 at 12:06 pm }

Am OK Yuckio didn’t make it through, his personality came across as quite fake – IMO
Debra’s dish looked the best by far, I could even taste it through the TV!!!
Agree Andrea that they should just start with the final 24 – but I guess there’s no TV drama in that …… did you notice how peeved the 6 ousted contestants were – and there were no comments from any of them bar Yuckio, that last older woman (sorry forgot her name!) positively just stormed up that hill at the end ….. felt sorry for them all actually.

26 brain dead dave { 05.14.12 at 12:08 pm }

“Matt Preston asked whether she had the maturity to go on to survive in the Masterchef kitchen. We did not get hear the reply but it must not have eased their concerns as she did not make it.”

Dom’s reply was probably something along the lines of:

“Yeah, when that groping Greek gnome tries to leer or salivate over me , I’ll be planting my knee into his wedding tackle!”

Car detailing Mario looks a lot like Moby to me and surprised that he got through with the putrid pate but the last six aprons saw the judges becoming increasingly desperate with their choices. Culinary cringe time with worthless aprons being thrown to the four winds for contestants who have clearly bitten off more than they can choux.

Too much sweating going on last night for sure ,RR.

Not really bothered about Yukio… reality tv fodder are like autumn leaves.

27 Reality Raver { 05.14.12 at 12:19 pm }

Andrea and Little Petal – maybe they should ban people making macarons this year along with risotto.

Brain Dead Dave – I think you may be on the money with that come back.

Culinary Boner – I did think of ringin TEN and getting an official comment on the stock situation but figured they would think I was being a dickhead. Sad thing is I would have been totally serious.

28 planb { 05.14.12 at 12:33 pm }

Hep A is transmitted by oral-fecal contamination and none of the infectious hepatitis types (A, B, or C) are transmitted by sweat.

29 Dr T { 05.14.12 at 2:10 pm }

Correct plan B…

I am more concerned with the number of people who have cephalo-rectal syndrome

30 brain dead dave { 05.14.12 at 2:29 pm }

There could also be health issues with the Ma$terchef building itself being so old and prone to rat infestation, meaning nocturnal four legged assaults on the celebrated Ma$terchef pantry and messages in Mystery Boxes.

31 Dr T { 05.14.12 at 2:37 pm }

BDD – rat would just be incorporated as a new game meat… the problem would arise of cooking method and flavour combinations…

Rat in a paper bag perhaps?

32 Reality Raver { 05.14.12 at 2:43 pm }

Dr T and BDD – LOL unfortunately Survivor is not on TEN as there could have been a cross promotion challenge. Cook a dish that people on Survivor would be able to find the ingredients to make….

33 brain dead dave { 05.14.12 at 2:49 pm }

Ratatouille
Proscuitto Rat Wraps
Rat l’Orange
Ratsotto

I think there’s something like 27 species of rat to be explored in the kitchen , too.

I just read that there is no bacteria in sweat as it’s created but that the bacteria living in/on our skin consume the sweat, making for a more unpleasant mixture.

34 Culinary Boner { 05.14.12 at 2:52 pm }

After last night I am starting to revise my position on Fillippo, who has gone from being an agitated, but note-worthy, Steve Buscemi type to an uncertain, nervy and put-upon version of Butters from South Park.

Choosing one of the most Italian-like of French dishes also has me worried he’s a one-cuisine wonder who can excel at baking, but nothing else.

Hoping he proves me wrong.

, with his nervy,

35 Janice { 05.14.12 at 3:23 pm }

[Trying from another email address]

I guess I’m one of the few who was not sorry Yukio didn’t make it on. The more I heard him talk, the more smarmy and annoying I found him. I think his persona is mostly an act, and I’m hoping that people are wrong that he’ll worm his way back in.

As for Emma, I agree that her macarons were substandard and she was probably picked mainly for personality and demographics. However, I don’t think she’s going to be this year’s Dani because I don’t think she’ll last that long.

I was similarly surprised about Mario – I guess they decided that the duck was the main thing he had made to be judged so they forgave him for the pate, which was just a side dish. I’m pretty sure he’s not going to last either, though.

My favorite part of the episode was Jacques Reymond – “This is very wrong.” “You have destroyed this dish.” I want him to be a guest chef every week!

Finally, they can’t possibly have listened to online criticism of last year – we had more fireballs than before. When the fireball came right after the brief Filippo encounter, I actually thought my DVR had blipped so I rewound to make sure I hadn’t missed anything. (BTW, I admire those of you who watch live and don’t have the capability to fast forward through the padding of interviews, intros, and recaps.)

36 fairybreadgirl { 05.14.12 at 5:33 pm }

Spoiler alert……………………….

Emma lasts longer than you might expect……….

37 Andrea { 05.14.12 at 6:41 pm }

I agree Janice, far too many ads!

38 Weimei { 05.14.12 at 6:56 pm }

To Janice: Disagree your comment about Yukio, it is impossible for him to come back, becasue you don’t know him in person. All of his friends’ thoughts are with him and we are supporting him as well. ……Don’t want to fight you over the screen but couldn’t help myself to say something for Yukio. I think, when the majority are awake, you are the one of very feel that lives in your own shell and refuse to believe there are many good heart people out there in the world. ……… We suggest you to take a trip out from your country, to meet the people around the world……yes, this is what you are missing in your life. Too bad.

39 Andrea { 05.14.12 at 7:11 pm }

Weimei, I am very sorry for your friend Yukio. If you read all the comments including RR’s, I think you can see that most people wanted Yukio to make the top 24 and were very disappointed that he didn’t get in, we hope he comes back somehow, he seemed nice and gentle to me, not fake at all. Tell him he has a lot of support on this forum and we wish him all the best.

40 Georgie { 05.14.12 at 7:39 pm }

JaniceG – I’m pleased this happened to someone else because I was starting to feel a bit like a mad woman. Trying to put the same post up ten times while being able to submit other comments in between was quite bizarre. I didn’t get a message that it had already been posted though?

41 Reality Raver { 05.14.12 at 8:09 pm }

Janice G and Georgie – They were in my spam section. Not sure why as comments should only go in there if there are three links in them. But also someone else tweeted me that they commented and it did not go through and theirs was not in spam. However that fixes the majority of them.

42 JStar { 05.14.12 at 8:39 pm }

Emma is NOT this year’s Dani. She is this year’s Dellie! She will be the go-to girl to narrate every single episode (even when she has nothing to do with the challenge) and will burst into tears everytime she presents her dish so that George can “hug” her and pronounce her safe so she can continue making more mistakes in the future. If the spoiler alert is correct, expect Dellie to be a lock for finals week.

Yes although Emma’s inclusion in the top 24, based on an underwhelming dish, was a travesty, I have to say the same about Buscemi’s and Mario’s. All twelve had the luxury of planning their dish and it appears only Debra’s, Mindy’s, and Kath’s dishes were raved about. (All the other non-selected must have been pissed off Channel Ten’s editors as they weren’t even allowed to talk to the camera once during the last two episodes). Mario particularly is lucky as he hasn’t stood out with his cooking. Buscemi was selected based on how well he cooked previously (plus the reality tv gold of having his forehead vein pop out as he mutters dark thoughts about Amina). So on an entertainment front, Yukio would have given us a poh-llercoaster ride with his food and should have been given a spot over either Mario or Emma.

And to Jess RE: no Malaysian cooks this year, just have to settle on the Singaporean-flavour lah. Audra appears to be half-Singaporean Chinese as her audition tape showed her cutting ingredients that Poh, Billy, Adam, and Alvin would know. And don’t forget, Dalvinder is also Singaporean. [I’m still smarting at how clueless George and Gary are with Asian cuisine after that debacle in finals week in Season 1 when they kept on interchanging Malaysian with Malay cuisine! And don’t get me started about Gary’s “masterclass” in cooking fried rice!]

43 littlepetal { 05.14.12 at 9:06 pm }

JStar- Totally agree with you. Have to add about getting into the Top 50 based on Char Kway Teow.

Back to tonight episode. Again they were given a free hand. (Not sure why Matt P said its a difficult challenge). They just have to cook something. Of the 3 Top 3 dishes, two were not good. Deb’s cake missed out 2 ingredients and Emma chocolate cake is as flat as pancake. I have a deep feeling Emma will be there to irritate me but it may not happens as I am just about to say bye bye to MC. They didn’t even show the dishes cooked by the rest. Are they worst than those that was shown?

44 JaniceG { 05.14.12 at 11:22 pm }

Weimei: I obviously don’t know your friend Yukio in person – I can only judge by what I saw on the screen. I find your attribution of my opinion to my not getting out of the country to experience other countries rather ironic as I am an American who moved to Australia a few years ago. I’ve also visited about seven or eight other countries and work with people from several different countries. Cultural bias does not have anything to do with my impression of Yukio as he appeared on the show. I am glad to hear that he has supportive friends.

RR: Glad you figured out the problem. Thought the blogbot had something against me :->