The Voice – Now The Public Can Vote Will It Still Be About The Voice?

Tonight for the first time on The Voice the viewer will get the first opportunity to vote for contestants on the show and it will be interesting to see which of the singers have managed to entrench themselves in the public’s pysche.

But let’s be frank will we be voting solely on The Voice or will it be other factors? I note there are not any unattractive contestants in the top 24.

Here are some of the things which may influence a viewers voting patterns:

• Looks;
  • The back story;
  • The contestant’s social media strategy;
  • The talent;
  • Song choice;
  • If we know or have a connection with them in real life;
  • Their coach;
  • The amount of pimping they are getting from the publicity team, some do appear to be getting more than others;
  • The montage we get to see of them before they sing; and
  • Of course “The Voice”.

Now what is the format with the voting?

We vote for two to save singers, the judges get to select two singers to remain and two are eliminated.

How to vote?

Well the SMH has the full enchilada on this. You can vote via phone or text for SMS or for free on Facebook, but of course you will need a Facebook account. Also if you by one of the songs from itunes you get two votes.

The article queries the amount of money the show will be making from this. However there was a lot of money invested in the format and the judges so they should not be criticised about their profit. Channel NINE risked $20 million on buying the format alone and those international judges would not have been cheap. So before they even heard a voice there was some serious coinage spent.

If they keep production values high I am happy to pay to vote. We are a small market compared to the USA, and money must come from other thing then just advertising slots.

The other issues is whether the singers/contestants on the show should be getting a cut from the money that is coming in from the itunes sales. I am mixed about this. But let’s face it these issues are only ever raised when there is money being made and the show is a hit.

We know that currently the contestants would be on a weekly stipend to cover expenses they have in their real life but they are getting huge exposure and have the opportunity to win $100,000 and a record contract. Also other contestants this year will also receive record contracts and performing opportunities.

However I do think there should be a Survivor type payment system in place where the longer you stay in the more money you should receive. This should apply to all reality shows not just The Voice.

1 Marepoppin { 05.14.12 at 6:36 pm }

Format of the voting paragraph made no sense

2 Fi { 05.14.12 at 7:53 pm }

I am confused on the voting. How many from each team are eliminated each week?

3 Reality Raver { 05.14.12 at 8:03 pm }

Marepoppin – hope I have fixed it up now.

Fi – two go from each team a week. There is only six weeks to go.

4 skye { 05.14.12 at 8:31 pm }

I predict a clean sweep from the teenage boy competitors from now on in, since the facebook voting option gives the teen girls a FREE voting option. No longer limited by the amount of prepaid sms credit their parents will fork out for, they will dominate the voting. Sadly it’s really boring tonight, we’ve been loving it so far, but now suddenly it’s dullsville. Are the judges choosing the songs? Because the choices have been extremely dodge so far tonight.

5 AnonyMousse { 05.14.12 at 9:38 pm }

This is actually where I stopped watching for the American version, and I’m thinking of doing the same after seeing the song-butchering that went on tonight. The auditions really are the truly interesting bit of the show – everything after that’s just the same as Aus/American Idol (except for the wildcard saves that the judges get). Well, I presume so anyway, as I don’t watch Idol.

6 brain dead dave { 05.14.12 at 9:56 pm }

I’ve been enjoying tonight- but then the mute button has been locked on for the duration, apart from the minute or so of Ben ” Bieber” Bennett I gutsed out.

7 sue N { 05.14.12 at 10:37 pm }

and how sleazy/gross was Seal’s dancing/gyrations???? ewwww. and can he actually sing well himself?? haven’t heard it so far. thought tonite was bad- ff’d thru most of it- as soon as there was more than 1 bum note, ff was happening. watched the entire show in about 20 mins….

8 Reality Raver { 05.14.12 at 10:40 pm }

Sue N – well you must have FF’d most of Chris Sebastian’s performance.

9 Mel { 05.14.12 at 10:42 pm }

Left me slightly underwhelmed tonight and thinking perhaps the ‘voices’ sound a whole lot better in the studio than they do on tv. I think the song choices were ok but really didn’t allow the singers to totally let go, if you know what i mean. Does anyone else find Chris Sebastian hard to listen to? I just don’t get him at all. And I think Delta’s back-up singer is a definite goner, as is out-of-her-decade Danni. Ben Bennett I object to purely because his parents gave him a silly name, and because he’s so cutesy-cutesy I have no idea what comes out of his mouth. Karise Eden, I thought, was the standout.

10 Georgie { 05.14.12 at 10:45 pm }

I muted CS, which left only the visuals. Bad plan!

11 sue N { 05.14.12 at 10:45 pm }

I think I survived 3 notes of both Chris & Ben… πŸ˜‰ (had to give them a chance to redeem themselves, lol- didn’t happen!)

12 Susan { 05.14.12 at 10:50 pm }

I swivelled my chair (in opposite direction!) as soon as it came on ….am sad as it had such good prospects ………………

13 Mel { 05.14.12 at 10:56 pm }

Forgot to add how uncomfortable and cringey I’m finding Seal’s intimacy with each of the singers is at the end of the performance, like he could just grab them right there and start making out at any second. He looks like he’s hypnotising the sweet little puppies, two of whom will inevitably be heartily disappointed at his betrayal next week.

14 Cara { 05.14.12 at 10:59 pm }

My God!!! What a FLOP, was sooooo disappointed. foul song choices, everyone sang bloody false and so fake!!! The wonderful comments by all the judges, when it was AWFUL made me PUKE!!!! Masterchef, I am back guys!!

15 roland { 05.15.12 at 4:27 am }

umm hello? What is the point of this post? Isnt it fairly obvious it is no longer a competition based on voices? You have made a fair listing of things that voters supposedly are influenced by, so you have answered your own question.

Also please explain why you think the contestants should be receiving any of the voting revenue? They are in a competition, and are not making a living out of this…yet.

Not impressed with the free facebook voting option…now that the dreaded voting public are involved, this show is fast turning into the x factor and is losing all the credibility it had at the start.

I fought to stay awake during last nights show and found myself more entertained by the ridiculous way that seal and delta were carrying on (obviously both off their faces) than the actual performances.

16 Georgie { 05.15.12 at 7:06 am }

I thought Danni’s black flying robe looked like something Dame Joan would wear. Mel’s phrase ‘out-of-her-decade Danni’ is spot on – I find it hard to believe she’s only 29.

17 Diogenes { 05.15.12 at 7:12 am }

I was marking some assignments in the next room while Mrs Diogenes was watching this, so I only had the “radio” experience (ie could hear but not see).

So some impressions…

Nervous starts, pitchy, bad phrasing, off key and awful choices for the performer all over the place. The sound was badly mixed and at times it was very hard to hear the singer. I actually winced a few times as the singer missed the note

IMO – All the men and judges should be eliminated immediately (both meanings!)

Mrs Diogenes called for me to come out & watch Ben about halfway through his performance –the cheesiness and plain awfulness of his performance had me going back to my marking with a smile on my face.

Was not really impressed by any of the girls, but must say I did stop to listen more closely to the russian girl (sorry forgot name & can’t be bothered to look it up) – but if the experience of the other shows holds true the votes will go for the flaw hiding “power songs”.

Were any of them good enough for me to waste 55c on a vote – nope.

According to year 9 yesterday it will be a final between Rachel & Ben, year 10 think it will be Rachel & Carise(sp?).

Don’t have them again till friday so I will see what they think after the performances then

18 sue N { 05.15.12 at 7:53 am }

Diogenes- good summation :). I look forward to the updated year 9 & 10’s opinions. Yes, the russian girl was the only one I didn’t mind… πŸ˜‰

I hope the ratings reflect the dismal voices and performances, now that we have the “live” show- was cringeworthy to the max!!!!

& Mel- I find everything about Seal gross and lecherous…YUK!!!!!!!!!!

19 Andrea { 05.15.12 at 8:15 am }

I watched bits and pieces of The Voice, sorry, I just think its awful and boring now that the novelty of hearing their voices has worn off. I think I prefer the X Factor. Won’t be watching it again, the judges just seem to love themselves too much, especially Seal!

20 Joseph Skyrim { 05.15.12 at 10:19 am }

Been away for abit (got a ball and chain attached – woohoo!), but decided to give the “live” version last night a try and caught the last few singers from the russian’s bang bang all the way to the blind girl. None of them impressed me enough to warrant my continued watching – especially now that is has become a public voting / popularity contest. The look on Joel’s face for most of it pretty much summed it up.

Poor Chris S., got an unfortunate song choice from Delta too. After he finished butchering it, they went to an ad break that started with the one for “tricky love” that used the -very same song he was singing- and “wow” (not in a good way for Chris).

As a side note RR, saw you on TV with the segment about the new Price is Right! Do you often get air time in front of the camera yourself?

21 Daze { 05.15.12 at 10:31 am }

Last night’s The Voice was a total disappointment, even Keith and Joel looked bored, as I felt. What is it with Seal and Delta choosing those songs so off track for the contestant’s range and the old fashioned style, I nearly dozed off? I wonder how much say they actually have, as noted on DWTS, KAK’s partner said the producer chose the music and Todd said well you can dispute that if its the wrong song choice? Mmmmm

In a reference above about Year 9 and 10’s – and sorry to be off topic, we went to the live auditions for XFactor. Door were meant to open 11am we got in at 2pm? What a joke. We left at 4pm due to (1) drunk contestants allowed on stage to perform and who were beyond crapville (2) 14 and 15 year old wannabee’s – it was so cringeworthy that for a moment I felt a pang of woe for the judges having to sit thru the pile of rubbish to find a gem. So I don’t think I’ll be looking forward to the XFactor since they’ve dropped the entry age to 14. Highschool Musical?

22 Reality Raver { 05.15.12 at 11:34 am }

Recap now up on The Voice – a bit controversial if I may say so myself. Sorry it took me so long, but I literally had to sleep on it to give it some thought what I had seen on the show. http://www.realityravings.com/2012/05/15/the-voice-team-seal-versus-team-delta-who-do-you-think-will-be-eliminated/

23 Reality Raver { 05.15.12 at 12:04 pm }

Joseph Skyrim I am on ACA every few weeks depending if they want a talking head on reality TV. The Price is Right is a bit left field, but I was a huge fan of the show previously and had some strong opinions about the new version. Particularly about whether the focus was on it to make it an entertaining game show, or whether it was a portal to promote products and a shopping website.

24 Daze { 05.15.12 at 12:09 pm }

Glad to hear your side of the cheap tricks; The Price is Cheap – saw the ACA feature and was shocked how cheap it was too. Won’t be watching. It was great years ago, now its just shameful self promotion

25 sue N { 05.15.12 at 12:59 pm }

If we want to talk shameless promotion- how about all the very obvious and very numerous placements on The Block???? I think a bit of balance is needed here. All the stations do way too much self/advertiser promotion in all their shows!

I would hate to think that any bias may creep into blogs on shows because of some level of association with a particular channel…

26 Ruby { 05.15.12 at 7:18 pm }

Sue N & Mel – thank you for confirming my nauseous feelings about Seal. Ewwww!!! Those gyrations. Save them for German super models !! Maybe Heidi got sick of him holding her face & creeping her out with his lechy mutterings & nail polish.
After watching last night, I can see where this show is heading. Reece Mastin where are you? Anyone scream for Ben & Chris? Me neither. Where did Ben get his lovely pink pants & bow tie? Doesn’t he know that all junior bow tie wearers should be drowned at birth – along with fake wearers of braces – hear that Chris?
Dame Dani, I thought New Faces or Showcase died a death in the 70s & 80s.
Who liked Emily Whoever & her butchering of Aretha? Some Mahalia style wailing was badly needed. Like some have said, no wonder Joel & Keith looked so bored. Hell yeah :)

27 Daze { 05.17.12 at 6:37 am }

“THE Voice contestant Carmen Smith has left the show before her shot at the finals after breaching the “spirit” of the rules by singing on Guy Sebastian’s single, Gold. ”
OMG, in the Herald this morning.

28 Anonymous { 05.18.12 at 5:53 pm }

Totally luv the Voice the contestents and the judges!! I certainly would hate to be choosing between theses amazingly talented Aussies Kerry b