The Voice – Team Seal versus Team Delta – Who Do You Think Will Be Eliminated?

We’ve had the blind auditions, the battle rounds and now on The Voice it was the first of the live shows. However it is not team against team or coach against coach at this stage, it is team mate against team mate.

Even though there were twelve contestants singing last night it was really six competing within their six. After the public vote next week there will be two from each team eliminated. They only really compete with singers in other teams in the finale. This is advantageous if you are in a weak team for example team Delta but it is a negative thing if you are in a team of strong voices like Team Seal.

In theory the top four voices in the competition may not be the final four. I could be wrong as I am still getting my head around the format.

The first live show had its highlights and lowlights, however Seal was feeling the love for everything. I would love to know what is on his rider as I think that particular brand of vodka looks like a lot of fun. He was swivelling his hips in his group live performance and saying he was on the best show ever in a great country etc etc. His gushing did not stop there he also stated his admiration for not only  his singers but for the others as well, and maybe he was a bit too touchy with the girls in his group. Fatai V in particular received a lingering kiss on the cheek and she did look a bit uncomfortable. He has to remember there is a power relationship at play as he gets to decide two of his singers he can keep.

The positives about the first live show were Fatai V, Karise Eden and Emma Louise Birdsall who positively hit it out of the ball park, and I was intrigued by Viktoria’s rendition of Bang Bang. However there was some dodgy performances and it would have been great to hear the coaches (yes that is what you are meant to do) to give some constructive criticism.

They have to remember there are two million arm chair critics at home who might be thinking was the performance was off key most of the song, or that was ordinary real judgements from them helps validate or invalidate the views of the person at home.

Also a shout out should be given to Gabe Robinson whois the shows stylist. There was not one dud outfit.

Tonight it was Team Seal and Team Delta singing with Fatai V starting the show.

Team Seal – Fatai  V –  New York.

It was a fantastic start to the show, and it is hard to believe she is only 16 years old.Her voice is amazing and as Keith said she has set the bar so high. Seal however killed the moment with a long lingering kiss on her cheek, with even Joel commenting that  “loved the hug”. He appeared to have his tongue planted in his cheek with that comment.

Team Delta – Matt Hethrington – White Noise

Not sure it was the best song choice if he is trying to ditch his musical theatre background as the arrangement sounded a bit rock musicalish.  However am considering flicking him a vote as he is great eye candy and there is not much in that age bracket on reality TV shows at them moment. Yes I know sometimes it is not all about “the voice”.

Team Seal – Karise Eden sang Nothing’s Real But Love

Seal is all about feeling the love, but he can also coach. He told her he wanted her to pull back her voice. She did so with great effect, and she is one singer who would be great to see sing live. The coaches deservedly gave her a standing ovation.

Team Delta – Ben Button sang One Thing

He better hope all the One Direction fans start hitting the phones as he was dreadfully out of tune just about the whole song, however Keith Urban said he knocked it out of the park!

Team Seal – Michael Duchesne –  Got To Get You Into My Life

He also seemed to be hit with first night nerves with even Delta looked a tad bored during his performance. Joel just avoided talking about the actual performance at all, and  Seal was talking about Michael being a red light performer, which meant when the light comes on he just goes. So didn’t he mean green light?

Team Delta – Danni Da Ros – Alone

There is no doubt she has chops particularly in her higher register, but have heard her sing better. But the coaches gave her a standing ovation. So maybe it sounded like she was spot on in the auditorium. I hope she gets through as I would like to see her sing again.

Team Seal – Sam Ludeman – Summer Paradise

He did a pop cute song which which meant the girls will love him. Was it the greatest rendition? No, but he did enough. As Joel said “if he had any problems getting laid you definitely won’t after tonight.”   Probably the strongest guy in Team Seal.

Team Delta Viktoria Bolonina – Bang Bang (My Baby Shot Me Down)

This performance intrigued me and for the first time thought maybe Delta was right in picking her over Peta Jeffress.  She is stunning on stage.  The last 30 seconds were great, maybe because she was so dramatic.

Team Seal – Chris Sebastian – Without You

Not sure playing an instrument first performance is a good idea particularly if you are only playing the piano for eight bars before you get up and sing. His higher register was good. Seal said some people have star quality and others don’t.  Seal thinks he does I don’t. I am curious to know what the public think of him.

Team Delta – Glen Cunningham – Heaven Knows

As they said being a backing vocalists means you have to blend in, and that is what he still did in this performance. Cannot fault his voice but he lacks the looks and charisma to take it all the way.

Team Seal Emma-Louise Birdsall – Never Loved a Man

She put her money where her mouth is and Australia did sit up and take notice of her last night. Her voice was amazing as was her sultry performance. She oozed sex appeal.Seal was looking like he wanted ot pounce on her, but just gyrated a chair instead, and Joel commented on how he was in her line of sight the whole performance, he did appear to be a bit flummoxed.

Team Delta – Rachael Leahcar – Hands

Rachael got the last spot known as the pimp spot as it gives you a better chance of being seen by the viewers and obtaining their vote as it is the last one they hear. She looked like a gorgeous dresden doll but I thought her voice was all over shop and have heard her sing much better. She is going to have to step up to grab the limelight back from those other girls.

Predictions on who will be eliminated:

Team Seal: Michael Duchesne and Chris Sebastian.

Team Delta: Ben Button and  Glen Cunningham.

1 Daze { 05.15.12 at 11:24 am }

Ben Bennett, Matt and Sam, in fact most of the males struggled with song choices given by judges or producers. Even Rachael’s angelic voice hit some rough patches. The strongest was Karise.

Great recap RR

2 Chunks { 05.15.12 at 12:03 pm }

There were indeed more than a few dodgy notes last night and some of the song choices were just bizarre. Can’t wait to see who gets bumped.

3 Paula { 05.15.12 at 12:21 pm }

I agree, the performances were not as good as I thought they would be and I also wish the judges had been a little more honest in their appraisals, perhaps they do not want to influence the voting?

Most of the boys were boring and none of them stood out but I think Ben will stay as he has such a great smile and attitude and my teenager thinks he did the song well.

I actually wondered if there was something wrong with the mics or sound as the music seemed to over power the singers quite a few times.

4 Tickled Pink { 05.15.12 at 12:33 pm }

Loved the blind auditions and the battle rounds but the live shows just seem like a revamped version of the ‘X Factor’
Didn’t like the song choices either.. and we have to wait a whole week to see who goes? Mmm not feeling it
Anyone else think Seal was creepy last night?

5 brain dead dave { 05.15.12 at 12:35 pm }

That’s a delightful typo that you’ve identified Ben Bennett as Ben Button, RR. He does look very young and all,while with all those shades of pink he was wearing, I thought Benny Beiber was pushing some kind of breast cancer awareness angle.

He was awful to listen but have to confess he’s got the Jack Vidgenesque look about him and could win just on that.

Rachael Leahcar was a disappointment , though I think she got better throughout the song.

I had all the other acts muted. The expressions the contestants and judges pull are side splitting.

6 brain dead dave { 05.15.12 at 12:52 pm }

A “red light performer”, $eal? That would be Craig Thomson.

Hell yeah, $eal looked creepy last night, like a wolf in $eal’s clothing. His mentoring style is pretty “hands on”.

7 Reality Raver { 05.15.12 at 1:21 pm }

Paula – I think it could have been some tech issues as well as even the Danni Da Ros song sounded dodgy in parts and she got a standing ovation from the judges. Acoustics might be better in the auditorium.

Daze – Thanks

Chunks – who do you think will be bumped?

Tickled Pink – Agree re: Seal. He over did the love.

BDD – love the Craig Thomson joke.

8 brain dead dave { 05.15.12 at 1:28 pm }

What the spaced out $eal possibly meant about Michael Duchesne being a red light performer would be in relation to the red light on recording consoles in studios indicating that recording is taking place. Maybe $eal means that this guy “brings it” when the red light goes on as opposed to those that freeze up.

9 roland { 05.15.12 at 1:39 pm }

i don’t know what the hell seal had been smoking/drinking before the show, but his behaviour was really inappropriate. Delta also looked wasted, the amount of crap she was coming out with and the dopey looks on her face were pretty hilarious. And why did she come dressed as a carrot? I thought joel and keith were both pretty quiet last night.

The performances were pretty ordinary, bit like a karaoke show really. the outfits some of them wore were really daggy/just plain weird. Ben bennet’s pink outfit was atrocious, what was delta thinking by styling him like that??? He must have felt like a first rate idiot. I think the sound system was stuffing up during his song as i could barely hear him.

i am sick of all the hype over chris sebastian and rachael leahcar (how predictable that she was on last), neither are that good.
Seems a bit dumb that we have to wait a week for the results…thats a long time in showbiz…most people will be over it by then.

I predict a ratings slide from here on in, the show has lost its originality.

10 joan { 05.15.12 at 1:46 pm }

My picks for the grand final Team Seal Karise. Team Delta Rachael even if she doesn’t improve. Team Joel Layken. Team Keith the Percival chap

11 joan { 05.15.12 at 3:04 pm }

Who will leave Team Seal – Michael sadly I like him and Sam, Seal will Save Chris, he seems to think he is a Star I disagree.
Team Delta
Ben out of tune Bennet and Matt

12 Chunks { 05.15.12 at 3:21 pm }

Well I think Glenn and Michael are probably doomed RR, not sure who else but as most of the voters are young girls and they tend to be harder on the females, I’d say it’s likely that two girls will go as well. I just think Chris might survive because of his pedigree.

13 Val { 05.15.12 at 3:59 pm }

I cannot believe how incredibly disappointing The Voice has become. Overblown, poor performances (thanks largely to the poor song choices of the judges) with not a single piece of constructive criticism in sight.

I thought I was watching Australian Idol with red lighting.. was a genuine promising start but what happened to the judges judging instead of faux fawning adulation for EVERY performance?!

After breaking my ban on talent reality TV I think I will reimpose it again and save my time for Masterchef…

14 Suzie Freebury { 05.15.12 at 5:55 pm }

Val I am delighted you share my thoughts – I completely agree with every word and was only relieved I did not watch it live but rather recorded on IQ (bless!!!) which saved me from the crap. The obsequious fawning judges were sickening with Seal and Delta particularly nauseous. I was surprised at Seal with his unnecessary displays of affection towards his female team members and as for Delta, darling it is NOT ABOUT YOU! It’s about your rather odd choices of both team and songs not to mention styling!! Suggest they all take a look at the current American Idol talent (now down to last 3) and judges who both praise and criticise – often OTT but always fair and constructive. No one from last night would have made their final 12! And as for Chris Sebastian – he should NEVER have made it this far even on his talented brother’s coat-tails! After a great start THE VOICE has lost its Voice…. could it be just a case of laryngitis? I hope so but the Judges need to get a grip for a start!

15 sam { 05.15.12 at 6:48 pm }

realy liked sams first audition but he was given a poor songs last nite. dont wont him to go but think he probably will.

is the reason nine has gone the voice one nite a week purely to get more money from voting to service their debt, however quite possible having a two nights might mean they will get more money from advertisers than any amount of votes could, which would negate my original argument about one night a week.

16 Andrea { 05.15.12 at 7:05 pm }

The Voice is going downhill fast!

17 Gabe Robinson { 05.15.12 at 7:48 pm }

cheers for the props.
hope you keep enjoying the show!

Gabe

18 Ruby { 05.15.12 at 7:52 pm }

I really didn’t like Emma L. She was way out of her depth with that song. Matt Shirvington – Shirvo has been playing the pubs around Melb for awhile & is usually a way better performer than that night. I do think the sound system was off plus he came off as stagey. Poor Glenn could have been a little more stagey. He still sounded like that backing singer who blended into the background. I agree that $eal was on too many love pills or he’s a sloppy drunk – too touchy feely especially with the 16 year old. She performed well – doesn’t mean he should maul her. Poor Michael – he was so out of his depth – you felt sorry for him. Chris will get all the Guy Sebastian votes even if he was shocking – star power, what? And if you sing a One Direction song even badly, the teens are still going to vote for you despite your cheesy pink outfit. When I heard Viktoria, I thought I was having a night out @ Rasputin’s & the floor show had started (the part without the Cossack dancers). Will I watch next week? Not sure yet. Maybe just to see the $eal love-in & the bored faces of the others.

19 jord { 05.15.12 at 10:01 pm }

I was pretty let down with that live show and the judges gushing over everything, especially the questionable performances, made me cringe. I hope Teams Joel and Keith don’t provide this much anticippointment.

20 Fides { 05.15.12 at 11:20 pm }

Read a hilarious tweet from David Campbell about why Seal was dancing behind his chair when Emma was singing… I did notice he was standing rather oddly, but didn’t connect the dots. I’ll have to look more closely next time…or maybe not.

Rachael Rachael was disappointing too – maybe it’s just that I don’t like Jewel but I thought her performance was kinda flat. She looked lovely though. Only performances I liked were Karise and Viktoria – haven’t decided if I’ll actually vote though.

21 Karen { 05.16.12 at 1:42 am }

Bring on The X Factor!!!! At least the judges aren’t afraid to say an act is not up to par, and give the contestants something to work on. The Voice is over for me……..

22 Lala LuLu { 05.16.12 at 5:20 am }

Actually, all of them started pretty weak, and I think the audio mix needs to be looked at.

Rachel was pretty awful. She didn’t have a handle on the song at all. To be honest, I’ve found her wan for the msot part. Unfortunately, I see Delta taking her to the finals unless she stacks it in a major way.

I found Viktoria very amateur cabaret. Karise overdoes it on the Anastacia vocalisings, but is one of the more natural lyrical interpreters. Similarly, the kid whose name I can’t recall did a pretty good job with the Beatles song.

I didn’t think Seal was as pervy as everyone else did, but possibly I was distracted by the clear evidence that Joel had spent all day and all of the night passing the dutchie with Nicole.

23 Trent { 05.16.12 at 8:29 am }

Chris Sebastian will get through for a number of reasons – He is friends with Delta and Ricki -Lee & Also Guy fans and the church will keep him safe. But he is really average.

The girls were the stronger of the bunch but the only ones i enjoyed were Viktoria, Fatti, and the short diva snooki lookalike in Delta’s team

24 Georgie { 05.16.12 at 11:05 am }

Slimy wet Seal.

25 Fides { 05.16.12 at 11:27 am }

Lala LuLu – yes I also thought Joel was outta his tree, but his performance in the group song was the stand out – maybe that’s what it takes?

I think Guy Sebastian fans should turn on Chris – as he wants to distance himself as much as possible from Guy, they should completely reject him even if Guy is telling ’em to vote. Chris wants to make it on his own, so let him, otherwise, he’ll think he only gets through via Guy’s fans.

26 Patrice { 05.19.12 at 11:00 pm }

The girls are smashing the boys. Seal is a creep. Loved Emma Louise and seems to handle seal well. Delta if you painted her blue she could be of aviator. Was Keith there? Joel looked bored off his tits. Guys brother is a tool. So I’m guessing next week should be delta and seals turn to shut up but they love the camera too much so proberly talk more than the actual coaches. Shame there is no honest criticism. Will watch again