Masterchef Australia – Restaurant Wars

It was a baptism of fire on Masterchef with “restaurant wars”, which appears to be coming a bit of a feature at the start of the season. The question is are they up to working in a professional kitchen? But it really doesn’t matter what they churn out because the winner is the team with the most money in the till at the end of the evening not what the food tastes like.

Why didn’t they ring a corporate friend to come and present them with a big cheque… Oh hang on that is Celebrity Apprentice.

They were split into two teams with Andy and Emma told they were team captains because they had been the other cooks in the immunity challenge. Emma at 19 really drew the short straw, but again we had it flagged something like this was going to occur as she said earlier how she did not want to be the team captain.

At that point every contestant was crossing their fingers that she would not pick them. However if you were over 30 you had no fear at that. In fact both Andy and Emma picked the young ones first. Lydia was selected last, and from seeing her briefly on screen maybe it was because of her personality. She is bossy but looks like she has a good sense of fun. More of her please than Emma who has had more than her 15 minutes of fame in the first few weeks of the show.

She even took the piss out of herself when it was shown she missed the tiger prawns in the freezer, as she had expected to see peeled ones. However don’t expect her to win but hopefully she will give some quality TV moments. Maybe she needs to be stuck in a car with Filippo.

They had five hours to prep and plan their menu. There appeared to be two entrees, two mains, and two desserts. The red team ended up opening late as they had not finished their prep, I don’t get why they didn’t bring them in and feed them Filippo’s bread while they were waiting.

The problem for the cheftestants in restaurant wars is they get hit with a full restaurant as soon they open. They have pretty it full for the whole of service. This does not occur in the real world unless you are a top high profile chef.

Emma looked liked she was losing it, and was getting dirty looks from her team mates at times. But to be fair she was given the responsibility of being at the pass and even if she had watched season upon season of Hell’s Kitchen this was not going to help her. Though she did use Gordon Ramsay’s tone at times…

“Service please is what we normally say” advises Gary Mehigan and she screamed “Service!”. However towards the end she did appear to have it under control but this might have been because Kylie was pumping out her desserts with great efficiency.

Kylie deserved to be praised by Gary, as she was smart in what she had made and it was all pre-prepped. She did Creme Brulee, and a Paris Mess, and both looked great. Whereas on the blue team Julia made chocolate fondant which meant it had to be cooked at the time of the order which meant there was a time lag in getting them served.

Also Kevin was being a tad naughty getting flirty with the girls when drumming up business for the restaurant. They must have been disappointed when they found out he was gay, I know I was.

The stand out dishes were Kylie’s desserts, the blue teams entrees, and Ben, who was cooking for the red team, scallops and fennel dish. Conversely Mario’s pasta looked like it could choke someone it was so dry, and the croquettes on the red team just looked ordinary. Unfortunately there was no feedback on what Filippo’s bread was like.

Red team made $2232, and the blue team made $2738.  The blue team deservedly won and props must go Andy who led the team beautifully both in prep and when service began.

And of course Emma cried when she realised she was up for elimination. I note the first elimination is different from last year where only two of the team were up. And it was Kumar and the team captain Tom who had to duke it out then with Tom going. Thankfully the whole of the red team are going to have to participate in the elimination challenge which is all about pasta.

1 EH { 05.17.12 at 11:22 am }

Why does Emma get so much air time? Does it mean she will go far in the competition & we have to put up with her for a long time to come :( :( :( Didn’t Masterchef learn from Dani’s experience? The viewers don’t like it!!

2 Mrs T { 05.17.12 at 11:32 am }

Kevin is gay? too bad.
I had to watch a lot of this on mute, Emma led her team on the verge of tears for most of it, it was just too much to bear. Andy was a great leader he really knew what he was doing.

3 Georgie { 05.17.12 at 11:33 am }

I couldn’t believe it when the team leaders were announced. It seems like there’s only three people in the MC kitchen – Ben, Andy and Emma. They must be the three finalists or something!

Come on MC – can’t we get a bit of balance here?

4 Joseph Skyrim { 05.17.12 at 11:36 am }

No surprise that the red team got blown out of the water. Blue leader was doing awesome until his floor staff decided every table was table 9 too – that and blondies long-awaited dessert. Still looked yummy to me though. 😛

Poor red leader was totally drowning and her team weren’t being overly supportive in their responses, good thing Gary sorted them out. Their slow start ultimately killed them.

I found it funny too that Preston was supposedly being a human ping pong between the two sites. Guess he was trying to get some exercise in since he was eating as many dishes as Gary and George combined. 😛

How much do actual chefs make by the way? Any guesstimates? How much would be spent of the $2700 on restocking the pantry for the next day and how much would be given to each of the 12 person team for an 8+ hour day (they didn’t have to shop for this ep)? Would there be any cash left to be considered “profit”?

5 Susan { 05.17.12 at 11:52 am }

My only hope EH is that Emma is getting so much air time now that she will be gone tonight – I can hope!
I agree totally that we just haven’t seen enough of the other contestants and just getting the same few every epeisode.
I actually only watched the beginning and the end – MChef is losing me this year………….

6 librarygirl { 05.17.12 at 12:09 pm }

Mrs T, I watched it on mute too, while writing a blog post and reading other blogs!
I have decided this year to probably only watch one or two nights per week, esp. the mystery box episodes. Didn’t watch the immunity challenge.

7 Culinary Boner { 05.17.12 at 12:25 pm }

As I commented on the previous MCA post earlier this morning I thought this episode was way better than the lame ammunity challenge and also a better restaurant choice than previous years – the tourist-italian culinary travesty of the lame Italian Forum restaurants and the average pub grub of the Mean Fiddler.

Scoring Concrete Blonde and Ortolan made for some interest.

Though again I’ll hark back to the global production masterclass, Top Chef, and lament that they should have just had most cooking with 1-2 serving rather than the lame-ola touting exercise, which told us very little about the contestant’s abilities where it counts – prepping, cooking, organising and serving – and just made for pointless, self-indulgent tele a la Celebrity Apprentice. Though, what we did learn is that Big Kev needs to be referred to the ACCC for being “false and misleading” in what he projecting to the women he bailed up on the street. What’s the male equivalent of a ‘prick teaser’?

I thought Andy (Ridgeley. Wham. Bam. I am. A man. Whose. Stolen. Kevin. Rowland’s. Hairstyle.) was a sensation at the pass, and would therefore have been immediately disqualified from Hells Kitchen. Presuming he’s either prepared for this or is a natural, he might be one to watch. As Chris Badenoch demonstrated in series 1, a prepared, practised and strategic contestant will stomp on most of their opposition.

Cow pat desserts anyone? nom nom nom

8 Georgie { 05.17.12 at 12:27 pm }

CB – “What’s the male equivalent of a ‘prick teaser’?”

A clit teaser?

9 Andrea { 05.17.12 at 12:41 pm }

Emma should not have been made captain of the red team, it was too much too soon for her and she cries all the time! I feel like we are not getting to know the other contestants as all the air time seems to go to Emma! It was an improvement on the night before though so I’ll stick with it fot now. Hopefully Emma will be eliminated but it will probably be someone we barely know as she seems to be the judges favourite at the moment

10 JStar { 05.17.12 at 12:52 pm }

Hey Susan. Judging by the editing of last year, Emma may be this year’s Dani (she makes it to the final week) or this year’s Alex and Chelsea (a lot of screen time from Top 50 only to flame out very early). Unfortunately, no middle ground and definitely no let up with the crying tonight, no matter the outcome.

11 EH { 05.17.12 at 1:06 pm }

Susan, JStar – Unfortunately I read someone commented in an earlier MC post (semi spoiler???!!!)
that Emma will go very far in the competition :( :( :( we will just have to put up with her for (hopefully) a little longer!!!

12 Reality Raver { 05.17.12 at 1:08 pm }

Yes I but I reckon half the MC spoilers on this site in the last 4 years have been wrong.

13 Fides { 05.17.12 at 1:19 pm }

JStar – oh please no! I don’t know why the editors love her and her hats so much – sorry for being so shallow but the little bow on her hat annoyed me almost as much as her tears. No actually, the bow annoyed me more. I remember last year there was the challenge where Sun was team captain for the eco-food challenge, and didn’t show any leadership. I thought Emma’s position last night was similar, even harder as she is so young, but she showed real mettle to get through it without bursting into tears at the pass.

But speaking of being shallow and judging the contestants on anything but their food, my respect for Alice grew enormously last night after seeing her wearing transitions lenses on her giant 1986 frames. It takes a certain type of guts to do that. Now if only she could cook, and listen to the judges’ advice, I might even like her.

I think this year’s lot are a competitive bunch. I was reading their bios and a few compete in sports – there’s Tregan and her roller derby (that competitive streak came out last night), Kevin with his rugby, Andy’s played basketball for Australia, and Beau does Iron Man/triathlons. So hopefully it makes for really interesting team challenges with the gamesmanship.

14 EH { 05.17.12 at 1:20 pm }

All spoilers should be taken with a grain of salt :p

15 brain dead dave { 05.17.12 at 1:29 pm }

Yes, I tend not to believe spoilers.

Ma$terchef and Emma…it’s a crying sham. Enter Legohead 2.0.

16 Culinary Boner { 05.17.12 at 1:30 pm }

Fides, wot with Emma’s ’86 glasses and Andy’s Too-Rye-Ay hairstyle and the use in the audition rounds of semi-dried tomato stuffing for a variety of roulade-like chicken dishes will the producers be able to resist having an 80s Night? Will Prince appear and sing Cream? Will Matt Preston wear a jumpsuit?

17 Daze { 05.17.12 at 1:35 pm }

Andy’s is hot! Have him for dessert anytime
As for Em’s tea cosy, I think the bigger issue in MC is all the sweat dripping into the food

18 Culinary Boner { 05.17.12 at 1:43 pm }

Oops. That should have read Alice’s glasses.

19 Culinary Boner { 05.17.12 at 1:45 pm }

Daze, Emma needs a rastaman tea cosy.
A white girl dressing like Bob Marley will truly make it the 80s.

20 brain dead dave { 05.17.12 at 1:50 pm }

I’ve always found the sweating disturbing on this show, Daze but Ma$terchef appears to celebrate it….ie the forever sweating Julie Goodwin’s victory.

Good thing for these amatas I’m not a producer of this culinary crudfest. First time you sweat into the food – instant alimination.

21 Fides { 05.17.12 at 1:50 pm }

CB – yes please! I know MKR’s Peter and Gary did their bit, but there’s just not enough 80s food being showcased on televison. But actually Matt Preston in a jumpsuit..I have visions of an Elvis-themed challenge.

22 brain dead dave { 05.17.12 at 1:57 pm }

Yeah, a burger challenge for Jowl$y. He’ll be in a jumpsuit doing a medley.
Blue Suede Choux
Return To Blender
Suspicious Rinds
One Night With Jus
Don’t Be Gruel
Don’t Fry, Daddy

23 Culinary Boner { 05.17.12 at 1:59 pm }

I withdraw my Prince suggestion. And offer Hazy Fantazy instead.

24 Fides { 05.17.12 at 2:04 pm }

Oh I love it! I do so hope the MC producers read this and take on board these suggestions – BDD’s already provided all the puns George can use. If rating are low, this is what they may need.

25 Culinary Boner { 05.17.12 at 2:05 pm }
26 brain dead dave { 05.17.12 at 2:08 pm }

The ratings will be lower than Jowl$y’s muffin top they way things are rolling.

Thanks for that link, Boner. Hilarious.

27 Daze { 05.17.12 at 2:11 pm }

Yes CB read the article this morning re their Italian trip and all hit with gastro – see, the sweat does have an effect – it had to happen, lol

28 Chunks { 05.17.12 at 2:15 pm }

Best episode so far. Good food and plenty of drama to go around. How hot is Andy. I can understand the annoyance at how much time Emma is getting but I actually think she’ll do ok. She managed to turn around a poor performance last night, not bad for someone so young and inexperienced. There’s still not anyone who really annoys me yet.

29 Daze { 05.17.12 at 2:45 pm }

Chunks, I see the two dark haired older women being annoying and perhaps if given too much air time the car detailer – but so far a nice bunch of people – just hope the girl with the glasses listens to future professional advice when doing challenges otherwise what’s the point of GGorM giving advice. Instant cross against her name from Gary Im sure
Still all in all, good entertainment and great job done in both restaurants last night’s episode

30 littlepetal { 05.17.12 at 3:14 pm }

With the gastro problems in Rome, only some of the contestants and crews got it but not the judges. We all know why. The judges stay in 5 star hotel and eat in top end restaurants.

Those poor contestants and crews must have ate in some dodgy places.

31 Rosie { 05.17.12 at 3:50 pm }

I remain puzzled about the judges this year. On the one hand, they all seem to adore Emma, yet they stuck her – an immature, weepy 19 year old – in charge of the reds.
To me it seemed there was no chance of the blues losing. Is this their subtle way of getting rid of her?

Andy was just masterful. You go, mate. (Um, not “go” as in go away though)

Did I miss the Blues getting a reward of some kind? Usually after a team challenge the winning team gets to eat at some nice restaurant or similar, but I didn’t hear that last night.

32 Reality Raver { 05.17.12 at 4:40 pm }

Rosie – good point they do normally do something maybe they get lunch at Concrete Blonde

33 Suit { 05.17.12 at 4:40 pm }

Looks like Matt Preston has gone a little overboard with the fake tan on his face…why bother?!

34 littlepetal { 05.17.12 at 5:02 pm }

No, I didn’t hear them mentioning about the reward for winning the challenge. Andy did a great job and pleasant to the eye too!!!!

I think one of the girls will be going tonight. It is either Kylie (hope not), Emma or Jules.

35 Culinary Boner { 05.17.12 at 5:07 pm }

Georgie post #8 – I thought that definition only worked with batteries.

Raver herself seems to be the female on this blog most upset that Big Kev, in accordance with strictures of the *ahem* rugger buggers, the Sydney Convicts (http://sydneyconvicts.org), has placed himself off limits for those of you with a vag, so perhaps she could coin the right term for his flirting last night.

You’ll eventually get over it RR, as I did eventually *sigh* with Tabatha Coffee.

Thankfully my current reality TV lust obsession , Ajay, is a rampaging jumping castle of hetero hotness. I have mentioned, haven’t I, that Ajay gives me the horn?

36 Georgie { 05.17.12 at 6:16 pm }

Goodness me CB – no, no, no, no, no! As opposed to yes, yes, yes, yes, yes! That’s a phallus fallacy.

37 JStar { 05.17.12 at 6:34 pm }

If elimination was to go to someone with no air time, maybe Jules or TK? They weren’t given air time for the dishes that secured both their Top 50 & Top 20 spots or even allowed an introduction segment on Monday night. Maybe they cook too well with zero perspiration to be deemed worthy of airtime recaps.

38 Tim { 05.17.12 at 7:19 pm }

I would love to see the unedited tape.

39 Anonymous { 05.17.12 at 7:32 pm }

Andy = eye candy galore

40 Tim { 05.17.12 at 7:38 pm }

Andy is from Newcastle and that’s all I have to Bogansay about that. What I also don’t get is how George yelled at that hilarious cool mum (Lydia) about the prawns saying ‘THEY’VE BEEN HERE SINCE THIS MORNING!” but…did anyone notice they were fricken FROZEN??! And you can actually hear her whispering right before about them being planted there! Interesting…Anyway, wanna see more of her! Mario’s pasta was some weird a*s vomit in a bowl, the fondant was sloppy, and who supervised the till count??? We’re a trusting lot, aren’t we?!