The Block – Dan and Dani’s “Punishment” Was Bollocks

So Dan and Dani blatantly break the noise restrictions by grinding tiles off site, that is across the road, for six hours and all they get is a $1000 fine. Something they guessed the sanction would be.

They should have had a point deducted from the score from their bathroom as this might have been some consolation to the teams kept up by the noise. Dan and Dani also came in second on points even with a cracked mirror. Brad and Lara used their bonus point to ensure they won the room as they needed the $5000 prize money to boost their much depleted renovation budget.

Dani tried to justify the breach in rule saying the other teams would have done what they had done if they had been that behind. Dale said “Don’t speak for me”.

Dale however appears a bit sexist blaming Dani for rule breakage. He said “he had no balls when it comes to her [Dani]….Sophie’s like that as well but I don’t let her get away with it”. Nice. I note he did not mention that Dan appears to be a bit thick.

This week it was back to the three original judges of Shaynna Blaze, John McGrath and Neale Whittaker.

First up were Sophie and Dale’s bathroom. The judges thought they should not have put the laundry in the bathroom as it was too small, and they also criticised them for not having a full sized bath.

The judges thought Andrew and Mike’s was luxury, however they thought the actual bath was a bit ordinary. Neal thought they over styled it with the champagne, towels and cherries. Shaynna would have preferred strawberries rather then cherries. As Mike said strawberries are for people who can’t afford cherries.

Brad and Lara had a larger bathroom and decided to sacrifice the laundry to make it bigger. The judges thought it was very zen. However the bath was very high and would be difficult to get out of when everything was wet.

Dan and Dani got around this with their bath by having a step into it. Their bathroom was indeed deluxe and the judges were gushing over the modern feel and the styling. Also Neale basically said that Dani was the best stylist out of the teams.

However thankfully Dan and Dani did not win, as this would have made them even more ostracised from the others on The Block.

Mike and Andrew who spent a lot of money on styling the room were last and were chumps of the week.

1 Mia { 05.21.12 at 11:50 am }

I agree, RR. A pretty pissweak fine for breaking the rules. I could have sworn, back when the renos first began, that Scott Cam told all the teams that there would be a $3000 fine for breaching the noise restriction rule? What happened to that?

And, yes, Dale does seem to be pretty sexist. That comment he made a couple of weeks ago about how it would be better if Sophie didn’t have an opinion showed that. Despite that, and despite Sophie being a bit of an irritating whinger at times, for some reason, I can’t help but like them.

2 Tickled Pink { 05.21.12 at 12:41 pm }

So glad that Dan & Dani didn’t win the room this week, they should have been disqualified IMO.
Loved Brad & Lara’s room – a deserving win!

3 Jason { 05.21.12 at 12:46 pm }

Well, the show does really push the sexist boundaries in that the men are always shown working on the room and the women (or Mike) “going off for 6 hours shopping”. Perhaps if the women helped out on the rooms there wouldn’t be such the concern about finishing the room in time.

4 AJ { 05.21.12 at 12:52 pm }

I’ve only been watching the Sunday shows (and fast-forwarding through most of it), but this season has been really poor so far.

Why do the participants constantly reference their “budget”, but we’re never told what their budgets are? I recall that back in the “good old days”, the rooms would be costed each week which helped in the comparisons since a good-looking bathroom for $10,000 was clearly preferably to a slightly better good-looking bathroom for $30,000.

And it would be great if the judges took more account of the “practicality” of the renovations. Where are the teams who didn’t include a laundry planning on putting their washing machine and dryer? Sure their bathrooms are bigger, but doesn’t that just mean that another room will now be smaller or the “laundry” will become a combination washer/dryer in the kitchen?

And why didn’t any of the teams consider a two-way bathroom or at least separate the toilet from the bath/shower? The houses seem like they’re going to end up with around 4 bedrooms and even with the powder room and ensuite, surely it would make sense to separate the toilet.

And the penalty for cheating was nonsense. If they hadn’t broken the rules, then they never would have finished the room. As such, they should have been disqualified. At the very least, the fact that had an additional 6 hours of power tool usage than all the other teams should be reflected in the final scores and not just penalised with a $1,000 fine.

5 PollyB { 05.21.12 at 1:01 pm }

Yep, should have been disqualified, they wouldn’t have finished had they followed the rules. She is a shrew.
I can’t help liking Dale & Whingee. I like Brad & Lara too. I watch Sundays only, on the ffwd.
And, yes where is the practicality? 4 bedrooms, targeting families I would think. I can’t imagine children bathing in any of those baths. And the bathroom basins!! The size of them, you’d neeed a bucket full just to get a couple of centimetres of water.

6 Lisa { 05.21.12 at 2:28 pm }

They should have been punished further. The fine can favour the most successful team who can afford to give $ away to get ahead – which is what happened.

I love Shaynna on SH but I don’t think she is a good choice for this show.

7 Lebay { 05.21.12 at 3:39 pm }

If you think back, Erin and Jake did the ‘run to the park to cut tiles’ deal, but it was in the middle of the day, not at night. Their room should not have been judged. Danni does not really do ‘rules’ does she??

8 sue N { 05.21.12 at 3:45 pm }

I agree that the fine was pathetic, and I am sure they have been spoken to about noise restrictions, and lots of other things they have gone outside the rules for, before- thus the “1st offence” excuse from Scotty was also crap!

Dale & Sophie, I love them. they are quirky and funny and I like their style…mostly. :)

Dale can be a little sexist some times ;-), but I think half the time he is just being funny, and reference D&D- I think he was spot on. Yes, I think Dan may be a bit thick, and he is definitely ruled by Dani!!!!!

I thought a few of the bathrooms were not very practical for families, but I did like the look of Brad & Lara’s and also the boys. I do wonder about the practicality of having the laundry on the 3rd floor- Brad & Lara…OMG lugging it all up 3 floors, and then back down to hang out etc etc…..

I really wish D&D had been disqualified, or at least come last and copped a bigger fine!!! actually there is no way they should have come 2nd with a cracked mirror!!!! I thought it was a pity that Brad & Lara wasted their 1 point- seeing they would have won anyway…oh well! :)

9 Chunks { 05.21.12 at 4:01 pm }

Much as my heart belongs to Dan, I agree that D&D should have been disqualified this week for that performance. However their bathroom was dead sexy. Wish I owned it. The brothers’ room was a bit camp glam I thought. Reminded me just a bit of something that silly gay couple from the Manly series would have done.

10 KG { 05.21.12 at 4:22 pm }

Agree that laundries on second floor seems very odd choice – who wants to be carrying baskets of wet washing up and down stairs??? Although in their tiny ‘designer’ courtyards there’s never any provision for clotheslines so maybe assumption is everything is put in dryer? Would take forever if 4 or 5 person family was living in four bedroom house. And be expensive if horror stories of future electricity charges turn out to be true.

11 Fi { 05.21.12 at 5:05 pm }

If I am remembering correctly, a couple of seasons back a couple broke the rules by getting someone to help paint. I am pretty sure their room wasn’t judged due to this rule break. Why didn’t something similar happen this time?
Like others, I only watch the Sunday night and only little bits of the rest of the week but in the little amount I have seen, they have broken the rules a number of times. This is not the first time they have broken rules just the first time they have broken this one so the punishment should have been more.
The big baths are ridiculous in a family house. Feel sorry for anyone trying to bath children in them.

12 Lebay { 05.21.12 at 5:08 pm }

Fi, the people who did the painting were Erin and Jake, they were disqualified for continuing rule breaking AND lying. Whilst I think Dan and Danni got off wayyyyy too lightly, they didnt lie about it or hide it, and therein lies the difference.

13 CranAppleSnapple { 05.21.12 at 6:07 pm }

I was disgusted by Dani! Just because she’s a cheater and has no integrity, she insists that everyone else is that way too. No, sorry Dani, not everyone is a cheating scumbag like you and Dan.

14 Fi { 05.21.12 at 7:19 pm }

Thanks lebay. I remember that now. Weren’t they claiming it didn’t happen even though they knew the cameras were filming it? Stupid!

15 sue N { 05.21.12 at 10:25 pm }

so glad Dale & Sophie & the boys won tonite’s challenge…suck it up Dani & Dan!!! 😉 (yes, I know- such a mature response to these two, lol) Pity about poor Brad & Lara tho- being teamed with them!

16 drb123 { 05.22.12 at 11:22 am }

Talk about a disappointing season. It’s for the most part an unlikable bunch who like to whinge. Perhaps having them hold down jobs like they did in previous series would help. I would have like the fine to Dan and Dani be a bit more punitive ($3000-$5000) to send a message about the rules.

The design for the most part is all a bit dull. In particular Dale and Sophie seem to be money-laundering ie. making $10,000 worth of spending ending up looking like $500 of goods

17 drb123 { 05.22.12 at 11:25 am }

Also the introduction film of Shaynna, John and Neale in each episode is downright creepy, makes them look like cousins who are a bit too close

18 Mahlia { 05.22.12 at 11:57 am }

It’s easy for Dani to justify her bad behaviour by saying that the others would have done it too.
I’m surprised so many of them let that comment go – I would have been quickly jumping to my own defense if I had been them.

19 ex essex { 05.22.12 at 2:04 pm }

drb123- I am still laughing about your comment of Dale and Sophie money laundering. V funny

20 Lebay { 05.22.12 at 3:11 pm }

Fi, I may not remember my kids names, or where I left my keys, but the Erin and Jake thing will live with me forever! I saw them in the street during that season and my husband had to restrain me from telling them what I really thought!

21 Phil { 05.25.12 at 9:51 pm }

What a shame, Dan seems like a nice bloke. Too bad he’s with such a bitch!

22 Phil { 05.25.12 at 10:05 pm }

And ditto for Dale

23 Mr Bill { 05.28.12 at 7:38 pm }

OMG!!!!! That Dani chick is such a bitch!!!! i dont know how Dan does it. She is like a spoilt little bitch but shes probly why ive been watching the show just amazed at her tantrum throwing self absorbed bitchness!!!!

24 Reality Check { 05.30.12 at 2:56 pm }

Oh Dani… NAB is such a fitting workplace for you isn’t it? Your behaviour is pathetic, your style is selfish and one of these days, you will wake up a very very lonely woman.

25 Say no Dan. { 05.30.12 at 11:33 pm }

Dani is obnoxious. I felt sorry for Dan having to put up with her, but if he’s silly enough to follow in her selfish footsteps, then he’s just as bad as she is.
Also, what they did to the archway in a period house should have been banned by the building rules! It ended up just awful!

26 Jo Prescott { 05.31.12 at 8:18 pm }

Seriously what is wrong with this Danni woman does she need a dose of worm tablets? Dan seems a pretty okay sort of a block-head he scores points in my book for putting up with the unbearable. Good styling though but honey that ain’t enough to counteract poison. Open your eyes Dan and unshackle yourself. Life should be good.

27 mra { 06.17.12 at 5:15 pm }

DAN AND DANI ARE THE BEST. THEY JUST WANT TO WIN AND DATS A-OK.

28 Jess { 06.22.12 at 7:22 pm }

Everyone has their bad days. I think Dan and Dani treat each other just as bad. They deserve each other! I wouldn’t let either of them get away with treating or speaking to me that way! I wouldn’t want to partner up with either of them! Both make crap partners.

But getting back to the show, they are competitive. So what. I don’t know why people are giving them such a bad time. At the end of the day it’s a competition and there’s money to win. Understand that anyone who wins in this world and in life, at work, are people who are competitive. Do you think sitting around playing Mr. Nice Guy will get you ahead of the game? Think again. Mr Nice always finishes last. Anyone who prospers in life goes much further than the tactics you see from Dan and Dani. If I wanted to win I’d do what it takes, within ethical and fair means.

I’ve seen all the finished houses and I love theirs the most. They have impeccable taste in design and styling. I am actually hoping they win.

I hate how the other contestants bitch about them incessantly and some like Lara seem to be just jealous of Dani (maybe because Lara looks like a man?). Let’s face it, Dani is the best looking chick on The Block. While Lara looks like a bit of a butch, Sophie seems sweet but her teeth and gums really annoy the hell out of me.

I don’t like Andrew because he seems two-faced. He says he doesn’t have a problem with something in front of that person’s face and then after he walks away he says he does have a problem. I hate people like that. Just be a man, have some balls and say it straight. At least Dan and Dani don’t bitch behind people’s back – they say it to their face.

Dayle is a bit of a weirdo and passive-aggressive. I don’t like Dayle and Sophie’s design and styling taste and would not like to live in their house!

29 sue N { 06.22.12 at 8:15 pm }

jess- seriously- you think cheating is ok in a competition?

30 c u next Tuesday { 06.27.12 at 4:33 pm }

jess what a vacuous little peewit you appear to be judging from your comments about sophie’s teeth & gums Lara looking like a man
and dani being the best looking chick i bet ur a real hotness tho

31 Dani { 06.27.12 at 7:36 pm }

Dani might be cute but she is a dead set bitch. Dan go find a real woman. Not a high strung pain in the ass u have now.

32 cazza { 06.28.12 at 3:14 pm }

Dani is the most uptight useless bitch ever!!!! I have very rarely see her pick up any kind of tool to actually help out! or when she is forced to, she whinges and bitches about it! however Dan is a weak , spineless, dumb meathead who unfortunately has picked up some of Dani’s catty personality. I hope they lose! LOVE Brad and lara, Sophie and dale though!

33 CranAppleSnapple { 06.29.12 at 4:22 am }

I have a question. Is it a prerequisite for the show that all the contestants have to be really stupid? Every one of them has at one point said nothinK, anythinK, somethinK. It makes all Australians look like uneducated morons.

34 CranAppleSnapple { 06.29.12 at 5:28 am }

Jess, Dani broke rules, that’s the opposite of ethical and fair. Get a dictionary.
Also, people who live like that, with a *win at all costs* attitude, are sociopaths. Look that one up while you’re there.

35 Sonya danis | Ericjonphelps { 09.19.12 at 9:45 pm }

[…] The Block – Dan and Dani's “Punishment” Was Bollocks | reality … Filed in Uncategorized « Germany micronesia […]