Masterchef Australia – The Elimination Challenge Worked Tonight

Tonight the immunity challenge appeared to work much better, probably because Kev was not there to stuff it up.

The red team had to name ingredients in the tagine that Gary had made. As an aside I had not realised Scanpan had a Tagine pot, nice placement for them. This serie’s croquembouche tin perhaps?

There were 25 ingredients and each contestant had to pick one. If they got it wrong they  went into the elimination round, and if they got it right they stayed in the line.

The first five contestant that got the ingredients wrong were the ones up for elimination. Debra was the first one to get an ingredient wrong, and then Andrew who went with tumeric rather than fennel, Matt, Emma, and Filippo were the other three.

The next round was also clever. They could only select five ingredients that were in the tagine and have to cook a dish with them in 45 minutes.

Emma was canny by keeping it simple with pistachio encrusted lamb cutlets. The judges queried about whether she was worried there was no vegetables on the plate. Considering they only had five ingredients it was a tad difficult to plate up a full meal. Filippo, Debra and Andrew showcased fennel, and Matt did a lamb cutlet with fennel.

As the contestants were cooking Matt Preston gave an illuminating overview saying “We have not seen a lot of good cooking from Matt”, which makes you wonder how he ever got into the top 24.

Debra made a Braised Fennel and Almond Salad with a Cumin and Yoghurt Dressing. George said “A smashing dish, absolutely delicious and clever cooking”. She appears to know how to put together flavours, except for asian cuisine.

Filippo made Sicilian Salad and Date and Pistachio Granita – Gary was giving Fillippo a bit of lip for extending himself and making two dishes and wondering how to assess it if one was good and the other wasn’t. However Gary’s issue ended up being that the two did not go together. Why does Filippo always try to take on so much?

Matt made a Lamb Cutlet with fennel and fennel and  garlic puree. When asked he said the chop was cooked on the rarer side of medium rare. However you could see even before it was cut that it was raw. It was barely seared. Matt kindly said for most people that is on the rarer side of what is acceptable.

Emma’s Pistachio Crumbed Lamb went down well with the judges a nice mix of ingredients and simple.

Andrew did  Fennel Three Ways with Date and Fennel Puree. Andrew knew he had stuffed up because he had pureed the fennel with the preserved lemon in it. Matt Preston is not a fan of preserved lemon and he said it was because the smell reminded him of the lemon scent of mens toilets at big sporting fixtures. Thankfully tasting Andrew’s dish did not give him the urge to pee.

The dish of the day was Debra’s however no one was celebrating it.

They tried to ramp up the suspense by having Filippo and Matt in the bottom two but Matt was always the one to be going. This could be the reason:

Debra was not warmly greeted when she returned to the house only Dalvinda hugged her. Beau of course was feeling guilty as he had swapped him to the other team so he could get Audra, so he had sealed “one of his best mates in the house” fate.

1 Jess { 05.25.12 at 12:00 am }

I’m not sure what to think about this ” three ways” trend that’s been going on lately…

This elimination challenge was okay. Nothing too exciting. With contestants still having to go in order to name the items, though, most of it comes down to your seemingly random position in line. You could probably name half the ingredients just by sight, which meant it would only get difficult around the middle of the second cycle.
The cooking segment seemed very limited. Just five ingredients? I think most of them picked the same ones. Fennel, preserved lemons, yoghurt or lamb.

After Matt’s returning home video segment, I suddenly realised that he sort of looks like a younger version of the guy who stalked me when I was in university…

2 Daze { 05.25.12 at 6:53 am }

Matt to Andrew at judging saying preserved lemons remind him of the smell in men’s toilets at the footy – thanks for the image Matt; charming compliment, bet Andrew was ‘pissed’ off

And another one – Andrew at testing challenge, “is it Bosnian Coriander” – no.1 Andrew the dish was from Nth Africa and no.2 is there such a thing as Bosnian coriander, Tasmanian coriander, British, French, German etc etc?

Step it up George, Alimination?

Aah, if the show was perfect, what would we have to write about, lol

3 Isabel { 05.25.12 at 6:59 am }

Agree, Daze. Fancy bringing up the smell of men’s urinals when tasting the food!

I can’t help but be fascinated by Matt’s chops when the camera goes in for a close-up – I fear he will burst so soon, he’s so fat!

4 Daze { 05.25.12 at 7:30 am }

too much of the good life Isabel and lots of free dinners – who wouldnt want Matt to endorse their food?

What’s with the orange look – it’s a terrible ‘tan’
I’m guess he isn’t too happy being obese and did in fact lose weight after the last season – or – maybe he needs to eat more preserved lemons – if it’s his worst nightmare, might put him off food – everyone will now know not to overuse it in their meals.

Agree with RR; it was a much fairer challenge to Round 3 to go into cook off.

5 littlepetal { 05.25.12 at 7:35 am }

Sometimes the judges are mean to certain contestants. Why didn’t they asked Filippo what kind of paprika (guess it was not necessary in the end as there was no paprika in the dish)

Didn’t like how Matt P described about the strong flavour from the preserved lemon. Just because he didn’t like it doesn’t mean it was not a good dish. I will serve him some durian ice cream.

Filippo always do more than 1 dish to be on the safe side. Its really become difficult to judge if one dish is good and one is not good.

Another guy gone and now we are left with 8 men. Half of them are not great cook. Can’t see how we are going to get a male winner this year.

6 littlepetal { 05.25.12 at 7:39 am }

Matt P need to work harder on losing and maintaining weight. No point losing weight and then put it all back. Pity his tiny personal trainer who also trains Barry Humphery. I guess it is not easy to train people like them. They must have the mindset to lose weight and to train hard. If not, it will never work.

7 Maryann { 05.25.12 at 7:41 am }

Filippo appears to be an overachiever. I think should have got some kudos for presenting a dessert as no one else thought of it. I don’t think he should have been in the bottome 2. I guess the problem was that apart from Matt all the other dishes were at least a reasonable standard so they picked on the one who did something different. So glad Matt has gone, he should never have made top 24.

8 littlepetal { 05.25.12 at 8:15 am }

Maryann- Filippo was put in the bottom 2 for dramatic effects because they know Filippo will give us the stare.

9 Daze { 05.25.12 at 8:23 am }

Hollywood’s Dirk Bogarde (born 1921) Filippo is a dead ringer

10 Culinary Boner { 05.25.12 at 9:14 am }
11 EH { 05.25.12 at 9:27 am }

Love the elimination format. Taste test and then cooking challenge. They got everything quite right this year except for the immunity challenge. I enjoy this season so much more than last year.

I won’t be using preserved lemon in my cooking for a while. Can’t get Matt P’s urinals comment out of mind. Ewwww….

They should have kept Yukio instead of Matt. Although both are average cook, Yukio would have produced more memorable moments than Matt.

No eliminated contestants have set up a blog or website yet so far. May be the trend is over?

12 Rosie { 05.25.12 at 9:45 am }

Maybe a cross between Bogarde and Buscemi, Daze?

I suspect poor little Matt was always going to go home last night. Because, as I see it, the Blues really won due to Audra’s help. So had she still been a Red, maybe they’d have won, and Matt would still have been on the losing team. Then again, Debra’s leadership was so toxic, who knows?
Either way, Matt didn’t contribute too much to the competition, so Beau may be the only one to be really sorry he has gone.
And if he really wants to be a chef, why the fuck not take George’s advice and go get himself an apprenticeship? Answer: because he thought being on Masterchef was just as good… Good luck with your career in Hungry Jacks, Matt. *big eye roll*

13 Daze { 05.25.12 at 10:05 am }

I hope Matt goes onto bigger things than Hungry Jacks, at least he had balls to go on as he came across, as you would when you are 18,a bit unsure. If someone offers him an apprenticeship hopefully he’ll take it on. I thought the other young 18 boy that didn’t make it thru to the Top 50 had a great dish but George was a bit parental saying he should stick to his Tafe course (pls correct me, my grey cells can’t remember his name)
Yes Rosie, I think with Audra being in Red with Debra’s screaming, would have made her duck for cover and not be her best – Audra is a quiet achiever and a smart cookie. I envy the Asian trait of calmness even when under pressure we don’t ‘see’ it (well, except for Yukio) lol

14 Anny { 05.25.12 at 10:21 am }

Comment from a SMH article about Matt and an apprenticeship:

“probably earns more flipping burgers than slaving over a hot apprenticeship stove.”

15 Joseph Skyrim { 05.25.12 at 10:31 am }

Wasn’t entirely Beau’s fault that Matt went home. If he was just as good as the others his chances were:

Rnd1 – 43% to fail and go to the second round . 57% to be safe.
Rnd2 – 20% to be eliminated. 80% to be safe.

Just comes down to personal skill. Also uncooked food has -always- sent people home, better to overcook it or try for “well done” or “medium well” I think.

16 Dr T { 05.25.12 at 11:03 am }

Observations from last night

– Emma appears to look like she has lost weight… stress related???

– I was waiting for Filippo to look into the targine and find bread… or make bread somehow in round 2!

– Andrew said he loved fennel so much – so not sure why he didn’t say it in round 1 if he thought he saw it

– all the BS over Amina saying okra in the ads was annoying – I think the promos have been painful this year, because they show you exactly what is not going to happen

– Matt P comparing preserved lemon to his elimination experiences at the footy… wrong type of elimination Matt P!

– I’m sure HJs loved their free adverts…

17 Culinary Boner { 05.25.12 at 11:26 am }

Daze, good call on the superficial resemblance to Dirk B.

Perhaps Filippo should make this (but use Dirk’s alternative ‘protein’ suggestion of guinea fowl rather than the charmingly put ‘plump’ chicken) – http://www.dirkbogarde.co.uk/miscellany/chicken.php

18 Jruth { 05.25.12 at 11:30 am }

I think the reason Andrew was asked “which type of coriander?” was because there were two types in the tagine: fresh coriander and coriander seeds…

19 brain dead dave { 05.25.12 at 11:36 am }

I didn’t find the toxic tagine too appealing bacause one of the first amatas to taste appeared to double dip. I hate that. Quelle surprise that the amatas get gastro in the old country.

Agree with Dr T on the okra teaser…it wouldn’t have fooled a chimpanzee.

Matt’s probably better off at Hungry Jacques anyway. The standards of hygeine appear to be superior for starters.

I made a Dirk Bogarde comparison too, Boner but now also I’m picking up some Victor Mature.

20 Daze { 05.25.12 at 11:48 am }

Sorry BDD, its still Dirk for me
Thanks for the link CB; looks interesting (goes off to read more)

21 Culinary Boner { 05.25.12 at 11:49 am }
22 Culinary Boner { 05.25.12 at 11:55 am }

I see what you mean bdd – http://www.victormature.com

Though Filippo’s air of desperation doesn’t make him suave enough for Dirk or Victor, or probably even Buscemi.

23 Sioux Denim { 05.25.12 at 12:05 pm }

Great observtions Dr T – agree on the weight loss with Emma – now if she could just lose that beanie!
I noticed evveryone referred to her crying too – thank god we didnt see it last night but no doubt the tears will be back!

24 Andrea { 05.25.12 at 12:39 pm }

I noticed Gary saying to Emma that he wondered what secrets she was hiding under her hat so I guess he’s getting sick of seeing her always in hats. However, no one would dream of saying that to Amina or telling her to take off her headdress would they? ( Just saying! ) I felt that Matt was very rude to Andrew comparing his dish to a men’s urinal, that wasn’t necessary, just mean! It’s a pity Debra didn’t go instead of Matt being sacrificed, I was hoping her dish would be tasteless and crap! The judges should have singled her out for elimination after her bad form as being “Captain”. Now she will probably go on and win the whole thing! The men need to step up to the plate asap!

25 brain dead dave { 05.25.12 at 12:47 pm }

It seems like Jowl$y may have been traumatised as a child by some taunting English public schoolboys in a urinal at a rugger tournament. Had his lunch money and recess macarons stolen…he’s never managed to move on past the hurt.

26 Culinary Boner { 05.25.12 at 12:51 pm }

Filippo takes on the Romans:
(Following an industrial accident in the MasterChef Kitchen)

27 Culinary Boner { 05.25.12 at 1:14 pm }

Plating up Moroccan tucker, the Matt Preston way:
I’m thinking of circulating this around my office:

28 Dr T { 05.25.12 at 1:15 pm }

Yes Andrea, but Amina does have a reason beyond fashion to be wearing a headdress.

Maybe Matt P’s comment to Andrew should be taken in the Heston Blumenthal sense – Andrew delivered on sight, sound and taste and gave Matt P an emotional experience with food (not Andrew’s fault where that experience took Matt…)

29 brain dead dave { 05.25.12 at 1:25 pm }

Thanks Boner for the urinal links, now I’ve pi$$ed myself.

PS.Since you’re in the mood for quality research today, if you can find the photo of crew- cutted Syd Barrett ,just after being sacked from Pink Floyd( circa 1970) … you’ll see it’s dead ringer for Ma$terchef’s Debra.

30 Culinary Boner { 05.25.12 at 1:54 pm }

Hopefully she performs Astronomy Domine at the next team challenge.

31 PollyB { 05.25.12 at 2:04 pm }

Is this the one you mean BDD?

It’s cold & wet and friday afternoon!

32 Culinary Boner { 05.25.12 at 2:28 pm }
33 PollyB { 05.25.12 at 2:35 pm }

Yes, CB, I think you’ve got it. The one I found appears a bit relaxed compared to our Deb.

34 brain dead dave { 05.25.12 at 2:56 pm }

You crazy diamonds, the photos are excellent contenders but (adjusts cravat) maybe not “the one”. Will have to trawl through a few books and mags here to confirm.

35 brain dead dave { 05.25.12 at 3:29 pm }

I forgot to mention that watching with sub titles on last night, finally saw the lyrics to the Ma$terchef theme song at the beginning. Extremely juvenile content and nothing to do with food.

36 Kugelhopf { 05.25.12 at 3:35 pm }

You’re right BDD — “we kiss , we make up” has nothing to do with Debra and Mindy and…
there’s no mention of preserved lemon and urinals so the lyrics are stupid.

37 JStar { 05.25.12 at 3:38 pm }

Not sure if it was the fault of the editing but when it came to say “goodbye” to the bottom five contestants, TK did not give a farewell hug to Debra. And when Debra returned to the house, she stood there looking at TK before Dalvinder moved in to hug her. Tense!

Agree, Yukio would have been more interesting than having Matt in but the Top 24 already had a crier in Emma. Quota was full for this year on that front.

I noticed stock-gate was an issue tonight again. However, it wasn’t Campbell’s. It was some un-named “premium stock” that Matt was using. Matt was quite gracious in not blaming Beau. That’s alright Matt. We know you blame Deb for being in a team elimination. Everyone in your team did.

38 Joseph Skyrim { 05.25.12 at 3:45 pm }

Hehe BDD its by Katy Perry, what do you expect? 😛 Certainly is catchy though!

39 brain dead dave { 05.25.12 at 3:47 pm }

Here’s some actual lyrics from said song that Ch 10 strangely decided not to use:

You change your mind
Like a girl changes clothes
Yeah you PMS
Like a bitch, I would know

Yes, Joseph , I just learned today that the the song is by Katy Perry.

40 mkm { 05.25.12 at 6:17 pm }

Really liked this episode – did anyone else notice that for the first time since season 1 no one from the winning team stated to camera “at the same time we are enjoying blah,blah our thoughts are with the losers”! Producers must have been reading comments on this site!

41 Robl { 05.25.12 at 7:14 pm }

Take your hat off, stop tearing up at the slightest thing and stop trying to suck all attention your way like a black hole, Emma.

I thought Andrew was going home since I don’t think I’ve seen him get a line in since top 50 so far.

42 forced to watch dave { 05.25.12 at 7:35 pm }

Bdd are you a brit just get a feeling from your humour reminds me of banter from home

43 brain dead dave { 05.25.12 at 8:32 pm }

No dave, from Adelaide,SA.(not colonised by convicts).Thanks.

I’m partial to Brit humour,however and tend to prefer it to American.

44 littlepetal { 05.25.12 at 10:40 pm }

JStar – I read this on another blog and posted by a friend of TK

TK on Facebook. ” i think every single ep is deb being a bitch and me making jokes that the public cant take. Deb grabbed me at one stage and i turned around right next to Amina and said “FKN bitch”.. they cut it.”

So you could be right about TK not saying goodbye to Deb.

45 EH { 05.25.12 at 11:19 pm }

Littlepetal – link please? Love to read the drama.

46 JStar { 05.26.12 at 12:18 am }

Thanks for that littlepetal. I posted on the previous thread regarding the yum cha challenge that I was loving TK’s bitchy asides about Debra. Balances out the schmaltz and fuzziness that the producers try to put on. Can’t wait for a team challenge where TK leads a team and gives Debra the dishpig role. Would love to see what TK and Debra say about their feud when their respective times are up. I assume TK is out of the competition already if she is posting on Facebook? Or is it “production break” time?

I’m beginning to think that Debra is not popular in the house. When Audra was swapped to the blue team, Debra confessed that she lost someone that “would support her” and her choices. I thought this was a strange comment as up till now, we had not seen any form of animosity between the competitors (bar Buscemi mentally strangling Amina in the car after the FISH debacle). Producers were wanting to emphasise positivity with its Brady-Bunch vibe.

Her standing in the house may explain why she couldn’t get her team to listen to her in the challenge because no one respected her in the first place. And when she returned, Dalvinder was the only person who hugged Debra (thus interrupting the awkward Mexican glare-off Deb was having with TK). Most of the other contestants (particularly Jules) were devastated to see that she had returned instead of Matt. I’m hoping the editors explore this tension a lot more.

47 littlepetal { 05.26.12 at 12:24 am }

EH-can’t give you much link. Can’t find TK on facebook but the blogger is her friend and thus can read what she put on facebook. This blogger has mentioned right from the start of MC that TK is his or her friend. Got the info from whirlpool forum. (You can guess that I have no life. LOL)

48 EH { 05.26.12 at 9:41 am }

Thanks Littlepetal! Now I have another juicy forum to read :)

49 sue N { 05.27.12 at 8:00 am }

littlepetal- can you put up a link to the other blog/forum pretty please? :) not much blogging happening on here lately so am reading other blogs that I can find…