The Block – Who Is Your Favourite Couple?

The Block is doing something right again this year as it again is rating amazingly well. Last night it was 1.68 million viewers watching the room reveal.

Does anyone else think that Sophie and Dale’s was the best room or was it because they have yet to win a room? I note Brad and Lara won their first one last week as well. Therefore all teams have had a win and Dan and Dani have won two.

I thought is was the best, however Dale and Sophie are my favourite couple. Which team is your favourite?

A few thoughts on the episode:

• The flamingo light in Brad and Lara’s house – how do you clean it once it gets all dusty;
  • At least Dan and Dani had some insight into how their stairway looked, would that metal on the stair make it slippery if it got wet? Also cleaning them looks impossible;
  • However their guest room was well designed;
  • Did not get the “All Night Long” routine or maybe I did not get the humour;
  • Andrew and Mike are clearly struggling with styling, also not sure why they are always late to get their room finished as they both are able to do the physical yakka;
  • The judges say about Brad and Lara’s hallway that it is a blank canvas as it was white, but Andrew and Mike’s was deemed to be too stark;
  • I like it that the occasional different judge turns up as gives them a different perspective;
  • Will the less styled houses do better in the auctions as potential buyers be able to be able to make the changes they want to?

TV Tonight also writes The Block producers are trying to ensure that all houses are sold on the day to ensure good TV. Last series the houses struggled to sell.

TV Tonight writes:

The Herald Sun reports each auction will now take place inside the The Block on June 30, with only registered bidders allowed to attend. Attendees will sign confidentiality agreements.

Bidders will have the choice not to be filmed for the program and producers are also making allowances for online and phone bidding.

All houses will be sold on the day, with the Finale Results on Sunday July 1.

It’s pretty clear Producers needed to intervene so that the audience enjoys a positive outcome.

The Block will be open for inspection on Saturday, June 16 and Sunday, June 17 with asking prices expected to range from $1 million to more than $1.2 million.

1 skye { 05.28.12 at 3:11 pm }

Will be interesting to see how they go with selling them – the clearance rates here at the moment are ultra, ultra flat. I live in a bayside suburb not far from there at all, and this weekend only 1 out of 12 auctions here sold.

2 Mahlia { 05.28.12 at 3:44 pm }

My favourite couple are Dan and Dani. Purely for entertainment reasons (yes, I liked Margie from TBL for the same reason…boring peo0ple are boring)

3 Kaz { 05.28.12 at 4:53 pm }

I think Dale and Sophie only won because they got some advice from the woman judge during the week (I am hopeless with names) and they haven’t won before. I also think the scoring was way out of proportion, D&S shouldn’t have won by that much. My favourite couple would be Brad and Lara, follow by Dale and Sophie. Dan and Dani are starting to annoy me.

4 Gidgit { 05.28.12 at 5:19 pm }

I honestly struggle to like any of them. They brothers are bland, Dale’s a sexist bogan, Sophies just a twit, Dan is gutless, Dani is a selfish bitch and Brad and Lara are just ‘eh’ (plus I think Lara is faking it for the cameras. She’s all sweet and smiles – then in the car when she forgets about the camera she gets all bitchy)

I also can’t understand how it’s all SO hard and they are all freaking out to the last second. They have an army of tradies round the clock, two of the girls do NOTHING aside from shop on a daily basis, and turns out the brothers can go four days without sleeping – amazing.

I still watch (but record it and watch it later)…but I watch with my eyes firmly squinting in suspicion of the whole show.

5 Gidgit { 05.28.12 at 5:22 pm }

Oh, and MIND BLOWING they bought in Melbourne AGAIN…especially after the disaster last year and this year the market is even more in the toilet! At least Sydney’s market is a tad better than the rest of the country – why they did not buy here is just truly gob smacking! Plus who the HELL would want to buy these houses. They are mostly all a hack job and I’d have to chuck half the decoration out. That’s the trouble with seeing the trap door in the magic trick – you are onto their cover up now.

6 sue N { 05.28.12 at 6:57 pm }

RR- (blog issues aside ;-)) I think we have very similar tastes/likes sometimes…

Sophie and Dale are def my favourites, and I think what some people are construing as sexist bogan is in fact Dale’s twisted sense of humour. I get that he lost his cool with Sophie- given her ideas are great if they have unlimited time- BUT they don’t, plus he seems to be doing the bulk of the work. Yes, he got a bit shitty, but seriously- if you balance it all out, storm in a teacup in my opinion.

I too watch the show (with a lot of ff’ing) with a bit of a skeptical eye- given time “constraints” , shoddy work etc, but I still like it- mostly for room reveal and my 2 fave couples- Sophie & Dale, & Brad & Lara. the boys are just bleh (is Mike a bit slow?!?!?) and as for D&D- do NOT get me started on them!!! (mostly her, but still!!)

I too wondered about dusting that big light of Brad & Lara’s- but I did like it, Dale & Sophie’s too!!! I was not as keen on some bits of S&D’s room, but I def think they won purely on their entry/hallway. Scores may have been a tad generous, but I think they have been gypped a little in the past, so fair’s fair :).

B& L was my 2nd fav, the boys I would have had last, and there were bits of D&D’s I did like (dammit!)- but the stairs- major NO!!!

typing skills temporarily exhausted, and yes my post is disjointed- shoot me 😉

7 Maz { 05.28.12 at 9:45 pm }

I preferred Brad and Lara’s. With regard to the pendant when has the Block ever been concerned with the practicality of the design? (Anyone remember the chandelier in Erin & Jake’s kitchen).
Totally agree Kaz. Shayne was bias towards Sophie & Dale.
It doesn’t bode well for the sound proofing if Dan is complaining about Lara vacuuming.
Think the houses that do well are the more neutral ones. Most of the styling will be chucked and most certainly wouldn’t pay $1m+. Sophie’s design seems to be Salvo chic and Dani’s style is just ghastly. OMG the arch that formerly was. Would you not twig that the retaining of a staircase might be a slight hint that the producers wanted to keep the arch.

8 Chunks { 05.28.12 at 10:43 pm }

Cannot believe what Dani made Dan do to that poor archway. Hideous. I think they’re all reasonably likeable apart from Dani, if mostly bland. Bet poor old Dan has a bunch of good mates who still shake their heads and wonder between themselves why the hell he hooked up with her.

9 Maz { 05.28.12 at 11:05 pm }

Hey Chunks,

Did you see the episode when Dan admitted he is called Mr Apple Crumble?

Do you think Dan is even allowed to have friends who don’t meet Dani’s approval?

10 drb123 { 05.29.12 at 12:14 pm }

None of the couples are particularly compelling. The blokes are left to labour while the women shop – you don’t see the ladies pitching in doing things such as painting like in the Sydney series.
Dale and Sophie are my favourites – Dale is pretty funny with his “ironic” comments while I like the way that Sophie loses it when she doesn’t get her way (she could actually help out with the work, but doesn’t).

I can’t recall someone as God awful as Dani, well matched with Dan. He is all ego until she cuts him down to size in true shrew fashion. Have reduced my watching to just renovation and judging (no challenges), so I blow through a week in less than 2 hours

11 Mahlia { 05.29.12 at 12:56 pm }

Dani blamed Dan for the arch but I seem to recall it was mostly her idea

12 Josh { 06.01.12 at 11:29 am }

Is it just me or does McDonalds choose the biggest aholes each season for their advertising? 2 years ago they had that arrogant self-righteous albino couple – can’t remember their names just the nick name my partner and I gave them. Then last year they had that selfish, immature couple, again can’t remember their names – just their shit attitudes. We had Dan and Dani pegged this year as this seasons aholes (it didn’t take long with Dani) and sure enough they appeared in the McDonalds ads???