The Voice – No Shock Eliminations

Firstly don’t want to sound like a broken record but the Carmen Smith sacking was completely unfair, particularly when Prinnie Stevens is on the front cover of Who Magazine that hit the stands last Friday. Considering voting was still occurring for her performance week, her other team mates must have been thrilled.

If The Voice producers or Channel NINE want an even playing field it was a bit unfair to agree to a cover shoot for just one of their contestants. The same goes for the amount of time some of the singers get in the promos. Rachael Leahcar is extensively promoted, Danni Da Ros is not.

First up tonight were the eliminations and the powerful over thirty female voting block kicked in to ensure Darren Percival was safe for another couple of weeks. The other person on Team Keith in the top two was Brittany Cairns. Keith Urban saved Diana Rouvas and Adam Martin, which meant Jimmy Cupples and Taga Paa were eliminated.

On Team Joel, Sarah De Bono and Lakyn Heperi were the two with the highest votes. Joel decided to save Ben Hazelwood, and Prinnie. Laura Bunting was so nervous she looked like she was going to hurl on stage.

This show is interesting as at the moment the singers are competing within their own teams. So maybe it is better being in a weaker team like Team Delta as you have more chance to get further.

As next week one of Team Seal’s talented girls is going to have to leave, considering the way Seal gushed over Karise Eden about have “the gift” the other contestants will be hoping to obtain the highest vote.

On Team Delta, Rachael Leahcar is Delta’s best chance of winning the show, due to the amount of publicity she has had and the viewers love her.

It was a night of mixed performances.

Team Seal – Chris Sebastian – I Can’t Stand The Rain

“Australia is going to finally understand that he is every bit as good as his brother” said Seal. Well the good news was he gave his best performance of the series, but the bad news he lacks his brother’s star quality. Also he can still get a little wonky on some of the high notes.

Team Delta – Danni Da Ros – When Love Takes Over

Delta wanted her to be young hot in this song. So they gave her red sequin top  seen on cruise ships leaving Miami and a skirt that Snooki would wear. Not sure it was THAT sexy. However at least she can sing, and she has a gravelly tone that would kill a Bonnie Tyler tune.

Team Seal – Emma Louise Birdsall – The Look Of Love

She might need to sing a more contemporary song soon or she could start looking like a one trick pony. Her voice is mesmerising, but it was a dull song. With what she was wearing I thought she might bust out an encore of To Sir With Love.

Team Delta – Viktoria Bolonina – Smells Like Teen Spirit

If this does not work out for her maybe she could go and represent Russia in Eurovision, she would fit right in.

It was a little bit strange and unfortunately for her she did not nail the vocals, but again the dramatics were good.

Keith said he “didn’t think it wasn’t the best song choice to show who you are”.

Team Delta – Glenn Cunningham – Closer

Would have preferred it if Delta had saved Matt Hetherington rather than Glenn, but he is her back up singer. The highlight of the performance was Keith Urban standing up and flashing his Calvin Klein undies. Delta said he had done everything – hit every mark and moved and grooved, however I still wonder if he connected with the viewer at home.  I just don’t see a market for his ageing Justin Timberlake look.

Team Seal – Fatai V – Ave Maria

Don’t be surprised if this girl wins. Her voice and and performing skills are fantastic. At one stage I thought she was going to swollowed up by the smoke machine. Either way it was mesmerising.

Joel said it felt electric and Seal thought it was incredible. She deserves to get through next week. It was the stand out performance of the night.

Team Delta – Rachael Leahcar – Someone To Watch Over Me

“My laneway is the old golden era” said Rachael Leahcar, as is Emma Louise Birdsall, however Emma Louise does it soo much better. However her vocals were much stronger than her previous outing. Rachael will cruise through into the next round. All the judges gushed over her as it is obligatory to do so. Again she was the last person on Team Delta to perform.

Team Seal – Karise Eden – Landslide

Love her tone, however tonight she did not nail it at all, and she knew it. At one stage I thought the judges was not going to say how pitchy she was, but after what seemed like five minutes of Seal waffle he finally said it was not her best vocal performance of the song.

Hopefully she stays and busts out a Janis Joplin number again.

Predictions for who gets through are:

• Team Delta – Rachael Leahcar and Viktoria;
  • Team Seal – Karise Eden and Fatai V.

Who do you think should stay?

1 sue N { 05.29.12 at 7:07 am }

I only listened to a few lines of most songs, but I did watch all of Fatai V and the Delta team song. Most of the songs were incredibly boring/dated/ dull or just plain weird, and the singing was very pitchy for quite a few. Sebastian did sound better for the little bit I could be bothered watching of him, but I am not a fan overall.

I think the song choices were very suss- who actually picks them?? the judges or the producers- wacky for the most part or VERY old fashioned.

I cannot stand Seal- he is creepy and up himself, and God don’t ever talk about how Delta waffles when he is on the same show!!! I mute or ff him every time he speaks!!!! Yuk- he is just plain creepy!!!!! & I don’t think he is a very good singer. His team sang his song better than he did!!!

I thought Delta’s team performance was great- and bugger the knockers, I think she is great too. She is young, enthusiastic (maybe a bit too much sometimes, lol) very talented and she can sing! It doesn’t hurt that she is also stunning- probably the reason for the knockers! My 21 year old agrees with me on this- the bad press/knocking her stuff is WRONG! tall poppy sundrome methinks..

Thanks for recap 😉 AGT this week too???

2 Georgie { 05.29.12 at 8:17 am }

Emma Birdsall looks like a Sebastian sister.

3 smauge { 05.29.12 at 8:49 am }

Chris Sebastian was the highlight of the night. That speaks volumes doesn’t it?
Karise was a big let down tonight. I kept waiting for the moment where it would lift and I would get goosebumps, but it never happened. I also hope she goes through DESPITE this performance.
Glad Mr Percival got through, he’s still my fave. His voice is like treacle. If anyone wants to see how talented he really is with his voice, search in YouTube for “Darren Percival art after hours” AMAZING!

4 EH { 05.29.12 at 9:16 am }

I was a little surprised that Diana wasn’t In the top 2. Then I went to itune top 100 chart & it pretty much predicted the results! Brittany was in the highest rank, followed by Mr Percival. Diana’s song is 3rd. Same goes with Team Joel, Sara de Bono’s song was downloaded the most & then followed by Ben Hazelwood & Lakyn. Lakyn got it probably due to massive teenage votings on Facebook (it doesn’t cost any $$). It will be interesting if we can predict next week results based on the iTune chart. At the moment, Karise is leading, followed by Fatai. As for team Delta, Racheal is the clear winner. Not sure who Delta will choose to save, but it doesn’t matter, none of the three will have a chance in taking the title.

So many wrong song choices by the judges (or producer?), I am gearing for Karise but the song didn’t do her justice. Same with Emma Louise. Fatai did a fantastic job but I don’t get why they always style her do much more mature than her age (she is only 16!!)? What’s with the poofy hair? She looks so much better in the studio with her casual skinny jean & jumper.

5 Fides { 05.29.12 at 10:02 am }

I thought Karise was extremely emotional during her song last night – at one point near the end her voice choked and I must admit I got teary. I thought the lyrics for Rachael’s song were cruel – were they deliberating finding a way to highlight her blindness? Not cool. I’m glad Seal was more hands-off with Fatai though, and with him constantly referring to her as a 16 year old girl, he should be.

Also in Delta’s group song, I can see why Glenn’s a good back-up singer with his harmonies. Frontman, not so much.

6 auds { 05.29.12 at 10:23 am }

I think some of the song choices are just plain stupid. Emma, Rachel and that girl with the salmon colored pant suit (WTF??) Yes the performances are fine but who is gonna buy that shit?

I fast forwarded everybody except Chris, Fatai, and Deltas backup singer – cant remember his name! and of course Karise. When I heard she was singing Landslide I was so excited – its one of my favourite songs of all time.

Well she didnt kill it thats for sure – but even on an off day I think she craps all over everybody else.

Delta sure can sing. I dont think i have ever heard her sign live – but she was pretty damn good. Having said that I was hoping she would sing “lost without you” Darren Hayes style. Not a big fan of Born to try.

7 joan { 05.29.12 at 10:28 am }

Seal I think wants to take Fatai and Chris to his final 2 His song choices for Karise are strange to say the least. Only 2 go through next week.

8 Daze { 05.29.12 at 10:47 am }

Poor Keith, sitting in studio at 2.30am in US and hardly got asked his opinion once he chose his finalist – long long day after a huge gig –

Seal/Delta have weird song choices, said it before; last week was a lot better – song choices (Joel/Keith). Very interesting to see what happens next week, eek!

My favourite is Karise, strongest out of all of them, imo. I love Lakyn’s voice and laid back style and Fatai had me in tears, she’s incredibly gifted, for a 16 year old

9 Paula { 05.29.12 at 11:14 am }

I am finding I dont really care about these two groups much… Joel and Keith have much better performers.

I am not a fan of Rachel or Chris or the back up singer. I am hoping for karise and Fatai from team Seal and I dont care enough to choose any from team Delta. Danni has a good voice but not enough to stand out for me.

I agree with previous comments on the stylists, overall the outfits last night did not suit the people wearing them at all. Danni did look like Denise Drysdale as some twitter comments suggested and Fatai is 16 not 36!

10 brain dead dave { 05.29.12 at 12:06 pm }

What a great night for watching fabulously talented Australian artists performing live on TV. That was Barry Humphries on Q&A last night. His comments about Gina Rhinehart’s hole were priceless. There will be repeats of it , I’m sure.

The Voice was tragic viewing in comparison. Delta clearly sabotaged Boobooshka with the appallingly lame arrangement of Teen $pirit. Poor Kurt.

I think Rachael will either win or be set up for a massive Subo style shock defeat at the death….at the hands of Chri$ $ebastian.

11 Chunks { 05.29.12 at 12:06 pm }

Awful song choices just about all round. How bloody good is Fatai?

12 Mel { 05.29.12 at 12:47 pm }

Please pass on my desperate message for Seal re Karise: enough already with the “strength through vulnerability” crap. Sheesh, just let the poor girl belt out some big numbers, will ya? That voice needs a much bigger workout, and so do the viewers for that matter. Perhaps Seal thinks Karise is going through to the end of the comp anyways so he’s waiting to give her a big “moment” in the latter stages. Dunno, but sleepy, quiet songs at that time of night can put me and others to sleep awful fast.

Glenn is clearly the weak link in Delta’s team. Will be fascinated to watch how she tactfully (or not) disengages his services.

The sooner creepy Chris Sebastian departs the better. I totally do not ‘get’ him at all.

Man, how bad were the outfits for the girls last night? Just horrid. Karise, Fatai and Emma all looked like they were dressed in ill-fitting op-shop finds. Deeply unflattering to poor Karise who was continually trying to adjust it while the judges were speaking. A dull song and a weird dress do not a winner make.

And Fatai’s dress did not fit her body at all. As for Emma’s ensemble, a strange one indeed.

THE hottest thing on the screen was Keith’s bare midriff and Calvin’s.

13 Fides { 05.29.12 at 12:55 pm }

If Chris is so conscious of being a Sebastian, why didn’t he take his mother’s maiden name, or do a Rachael Leahcar and just become Chris Sirhc? He’d still look and sound like Guy, but he could at least be reassured that it’s not his name. and I see as Seal’s project of can-make- him-as-good-as-his-brother, getting him through.

14 Mahlia { 05.29.12 at 12:57 pm }

Terrible song choices.

And they need to stop comparing Chris to Guy

15 Q { 05.29.12 at 1:24 pm }

For team seal I predict karise will get votes, and seal will save fatai. for team delta rachael will definitely get votes, and delta will save glenn (I think there is a bit of favouritism going on)

16 Desdemona { 05.29.12 at 3:15 pm }

I was surprised at how off-key Rachael sounded in her bits of Born To Try. I think all of the performances were pretty average, could not pick a stand-out unfortunately. BTW I was horrified at how awful Lakyn sounded in the voting ads during the week, singing ‘Forever Young’. It was so out of tune!!! He sounded drunk, why is this monstrosity still in the comp??

17 Reality Raver { 05.29.12 at 3:35 pm }

Desdemona – teen girls?

Fides – Agree Chris and Seal need to stop mentioning “the brother” every ep.

BDD – Did you watch the Shaun Micallef show on Friday night? Would be interested in your thoughts. I did not watch but it is getting good reviews.

Sue N – Thought song choices were all over the place.

18 Ruby { 05.29.12 at 4:54 pm }

Great posts Mel, BDD & smauge. Spot on. The song choices were dreadful. Poor Karise getting that navel gazer. Love how hands on Keith is with his team !! Feel sorry for his team members. Agree with Sue N re Seal’s voice. What’s he done to it? The rigours of being a star and Heidi’s ex husband have taken their toll. Why was Joel dressed like a pilgrim? It’s not Thanksgiving or Halloween.

19 Izobel2 { 05.29.12 at 5:28 pm }

Just watched the show. Agree everyone the song choices are shockers and Karise’s outfit was horrid and Fatai was the best singer of the night by a country mile.

20 smauge { 05.29.12 at 6:22 pm }

EH – I’m pretty sure I heard that each iTunes purchase equals two votes, so I guess the results would be a bit of a spoiler.
Fides – I thought the same thing about Mahalia Barnes. She went on about how she want to be a singer in her own right, not just “Jimmy Barnes’ daughter”. Yeah? Why didn’t you take yor husband’s surname then?
RR – I LOVE Shaun Micallef! Good to see him back on Aunty where his quirky humour belongs.

21 DESDEMONA { 05.29.12 at 8:15 pm }

Reality Raver, yep I’m acutely aware that it’s the teen girls keeping Lakyn in the comp. Just thought it ironic hearing that awful singing (if it can be called that…) on an ad for a show called “The Voice” that is supposed to be about “The Voice”. Hah, guess that went out the window after the audition rounds.

22 Reality Raver { 05.29.12 at 8:59 pm }

Desdemona – Agree his rendition was terrible both singing and performance wise.

23 Jan { 06.03.12 at 1:39 pm }

I agree with most here……The outfits were horrid, the song choices and performances were boring and the standout was Fatai. I thought Karise has been a big let down of late and needs to step it up, I think she got fans because of her blind audition and they have been loyal (I’m one of them) but while she has been below par others have stepped up esp the girls from teamkeith and teamjoel wow I was impressed with Diana and Sarah’s last performances and am looking forward to them this week and I do think teamseal and teamdelta are the weakest – I was actually bored last week :(