Masterchef Australia – The Immunity Challenge Was A Farce

So the immunity challenges were changed this season to make them more consistent and an even playing field, but apparently you can win one even if you cook the worse dish of the day.

Tonight it was farcical that Mindy won a pin on the back of the two other cooks, Amina and Audra, who she had selected to assist her in the challenge.

In fact that pin at some stage in the competition may increase Amina and Audra’s chance of going home depending on when Mindy decides to play it.

Tonight Mindy went head to head against Shaun Presland of Japanese restaurant Sake. He was a bit tricky and picked kiwi fruit as the ingredient to be showcase, and the other twist to the challenge was that the food had to be raw, there were no cooking utensils.

Considering Shaun Presland is a sushi chef, this certainly weighted it in his favour. However the girls were given a 30 minute head start giving them an hour to make the dishes.

It was interesting that Mindy gave Amina the entree, and Audra the main, and she did dessert. It could be argued that the dessert was the easiest of the dishes to make because the main ingredient was a fruit.

Amina cured her beef in kiwi fruit, and Audra made salmon sashimi with a green curry paste, whereas Mindy made mango and kiwi fruit with maple cream and crushed macadamia nuts.

At the judges table Gary Mehigan was scathing about it and when Matt Preston said the mango was niche he retorted “Well God did a great job then”. George Calombaris said it was disappointing as there were so many combinations you can do with kiwi fruit and he suggested there were a number of cheeses. I note he did not go into specifics.

Amina’s entree was a winner again. This was the second time she has won  a dish in an immunity challenge. Then to keep the suspense the announced that Shaun Presland’s team had won dessert.

And lastly Audra’s dish was announced as dish of the day and Gary flashed the immunity pin at Mindy and gave it to her.

Shaun Presland look peeved.

Last week I wrote the immunity challenge would end in tears and at this stage it is only Audra weeping tears of joy, however and it will be interesting to see what the viewers are saying and also the contestants on whether the new immunity challenge format is kosher.

What do you think?

1 brain dead dave { 05.30.12 at 1:11 pm }

It’s Preaching Paul…the biggest moaner of them all.

2 Georgie { 05.30.12 at 1:12 pm }

Moaning = watching so be happy and stop moaning about the moaning.

Gee bdd, I hit the submit button and there you are saying the same thing. Pipped again.

3 Neil { 05.30.12 at 1:25 pm }

If in future Mindy, Amina and Audra were ever in the bottom 3 after a challenge what the f*** would Mindy do, play her pin or not?

4 Paul { 05.30.12 at 1:30 pm }

In the unlikely mathematical event that that did happen (with the current 21 contestants it would be just under a 1 in 8000 chance), then I guess it would make for a good episode

5 auds { 05.30.12 at 1:44 pm }

PollyB I have never heard of channel 105 – however I am a country bumpkin who lives out the back of bumfuck.

Maybe we dont get it – oh well now I know what to look for I will be able to track it down no doubt – thanks :)

9 seasons!!! I am going to have to give up my day job!

6 brain dead dave { 05.30.12 at 1:45 pm }

Since Mindy appears to be popular with the producers, it’s quite on the cards that she could be loaded up with two ammunity pins like Goldilocks last year. Like Gary said, “This is Ma$terchef”

I don’t enjoy the contributions and existence of the peanut gallery but seems it is being employed by both Ma$terchef and MKR to ramp up the atmosphere and pressure on the sweating amatas. I don’t think the peanuts should get to vote, Joseph, lest we get the lopsided ,revenge based scoring on MKR.(Then again,that can be fun) What do the peanuts know about food, furthermore? Who wants their cake scored/ critiqued by an amata that hasn’t baked a cake since they were twelve?

7 PollyB { 05.30.12 at 1:54 pm }

Auds 105 is Arena. Easier for me to remember the numbers than the names :)

8 brain dead dave { 05.30.12 at 1:57 pm }

Arena? One of the best looking Ma$terchef amatas of all time. After $kye.

9 Andy Pandy( formerly known as Andrea) { 05.30.12 at 2:01 pm }

Paul, I guess it does sound a lot like we are complaining but I think we also give advice about how we think the show could be improved to make it more exciting for the contestants, judges and viewers alike. I’ve watched every season so I feel that we know what works and what doesn’t. Marie’s ideas at comment 3 is the best to make it fairer for everyone. I would get rid of immunity altogether as well as cooking against top chefs who are just getting publicity for themselves and their restaurants. Just keep it simple and it will be much better. I will still watch it as I don’t like The Block or The Voice or DWTS so I don’t have much choice do I?

10 Culinary Boner { 05.30.12 at 2:06 pm }

There’s a time and place for moaning… or so I’ve told Mrs Boner

11 auds { 05.30.12 at 2:06 pm }

Never heard of Arena – definately not one of ours.

OMG is it just me or are the words “amita” and “ammunity” actually starting to look like they are supposed to be spelt like that LOL

12 brain dead dave { 05.30.12 at 2:11 pm }

George freaked me out last night as he actually said “immunity” on one occasion, then he ruined it with an obvious “alagance’.

I thought it was gorging George flashing the ammunity pin at Mindy ,btw but it could have been Gary, since given the opportunity they’d both relish flashing the younger ,female amatas.

13 Reality Raver { 05.30.12 at 2:28 pm }

Hey Paul – Speaking of odds are you going to do them again this year? Or are you too scarred from doing them the last two years??? They were always a good discussion piece for Fridays.

14 Paul { 05.30.12 at 2:34 pm }

I’m too scared that if I make Audra favourite she will get eliminated on Monday !!!!

But yes, I will do again.

15 Culinary Boner { 05.30.12 at 2:38 pm }

Paul, you will never by forgiven if this year’s only MILF is sent home. Can you please make Debra the favourite?

16 brain dead dave { 05.30.12 at 2:46 pm }

Amina should be the top weight,at least.

17 smauge { 05.30.12 at 3:05 pm }

Especially since Cath’s gone…
I’m enjoying MC a lot more this year, especially the improved immunity pin challenge. I was just offended that they thought we’d buy the “we’re saving the best dish until last” ploy in an effort to make it one dish each for a tence finish. Just think, if they’d don’t the dishes in order of entre-main-dessert, it would have been all over in two dishes.
I don’t really get why people are complaining that it’s unfair to go up against professional chefs. The “amatas” did win didn’t they? Doesn’t that kind of kill that argument?
Also, ladies or gay men, am I the only one that thinks Shaun Preslend is a little bit hot? I was thinking if I was Mindy I might have gone the pash as he congratulated her.

18 Dr T { 05.30.12 at 3:13 pm }

I’m surprised that none of the amatas are using Western Star Butter… use it and what will happen is it will alavate your dish to a new level

19 JStar { 05.30.12 at 3:15 pm }

Just wanted to say that agree with sentiments expressed. RR, absolutely correct. Worse dish cooked by Mindy yet she still wins because Amina and Audra (best dish from MILF) wins for her? Unfair! Go back to shef vs amatas.

I didn’t think Shaun Preslan looked peeved that he lost. He took it in his stride. This is the person that scored three perfect tens in Season 2 and had Claire in tears as she was unable to plate up within the allocated time. I think Shaun was hoping to stump the girls by choosing kiwifruit and that backfired on him. Kiwifruit not exactly a staple of Japanese cuisine I gather. I certainly never thought of using kiwifruit in a curry paste.

By the way, Julia did not look happy (could be editing but she then again, does she ever smile?) when not selected for this cook-off. Looking forward tonight to see Ben have his meltdown. And he was getting such a free-ride with the editing!

20 Dr T { 05.30.12 at 3:16 pm }

I’m surprised that none of the amatas are using Western Star Butta… use it and what will happen is it will alavate your dish to a new level

21 Culinary Boner { 05.30.12 at 3:25 pm }

“I was thinking if I was Mindy I might have gone the pash as he congratulated her.”

Good one smauge. Then he’d get herpes simplex v1 to match the rest of his humiliation. Serves him right for picking kiwifruit.

22 Joseph Skyrim { 05.30.12 at 3:31 pm }

@andy pandy – they can’t really remove the immunity challenge since it would mean losing 1 night of TV ratings. 😛 Besides, it has always been a good concept but they just haven’t found a balance of how to make it interesting, yet fair for everyone. Remember in a previous season: contestant 1 cooks against super chef “x” while contestant 2 cooks against olympic swimmer for the same prize? Yeah, let’s hope that doesn’t happen again. And not in the “Now contestant 3 will cook against a talented dog” kind of way.

With the current setup I’m waiting for someone to pick teammates that go – “muahahahahahah you fool. Why on earth will we help *you*, our competitor, to get a leg up on us? If both of us just twiddle our thumbs you realize that you lose by default? MUAHAHAHAHAHAAHAH!” <- I can actually picture Kev doing that after his pasta selection funnies. And if Jono or Bandenoch(?) were here they would certainly pull it off well too. :)

Maybe it should be changed to top 3 compete for the pin, but it is a GUEST judge that handle the voting. Or at least their vote weighs more. If its too pricey to invite people then perhaps each person picks one or two "judges" from the peanut gallery before they start cooking, to balance out the judges percieved "bias"?

23 EH { 05.30.12 at 4:16 pm }

Smauge – too bad, Shaun is already taken. He has a Chinese wife..

24 Culinary Boner { 05.30.12 at 4:37 pm }

Oh smauge, I was of course referring to the effect that Mingy’s lips would have, not yours

25 brain dead dave { 05.30.12 at 5:05 pm }

Kiss Mingy at your own risk- she’ll give you a bit of lip.

It’s the amatas that kiss her in need of “ammunity”.

26 dmc { 05.30.12 at 6:38 pm }

I like Mindy and don’t mind her getting the pin. But there is something broken if you can cook the crappiest dish of the challenge and get one.

To all those saying this is moaning – this is a reality show discussion forum. This is EXACTLY where constructive criticism should be debated. As suggested above, top three cook against the chefs (the winner gets to choose which course they want to do) and if they win, best dish gets the pin. Makes a lot more sense to me. That way there still has to be camaraderie to beat the chefs, but real talent/performance to get the pin.

27 brain dead dave { 05.30.12 at 6:52 pm }

It’s not Mindy’s fault at all the Ma$terchef producers have had a collective brain fart and implemented a kind of Culinary Cup where the third or fourth placegetter gets the chocolates and the best dishes get jack.

28 smauge { 05.30.12 at 7:09 pm }

That’s ok EH – according to my husband, I’m taken too.
CB – I’ll reconsider kissing Shaun if Mindy gets to him first.

29 Rosie { 05.30.12 at 7:51 pm }

>>I was thinking if I was Mindy I might have gone the pash as he congratulated her.

I thought Mindy was a lesbian?

30 smauge { 05.30.12 at 8:37 pm }

She may well be, but I’m not.

31 brain dead dave { 05.30.12 at 9:51 pm }

Identifying birds on Ma$terchef ,hmm?

I can see three stuffed geese and twenty three galahs for starters.

32 Dr T { 05.30.12 at 11:28 pm }

I reckon Andy looks like he’s quite good and pulling and plucking birds

33 Georgie { 05.31.12 at 12:19 am }

I’m not a pheasant plucker, I’m a pheasant plucker’s son
I’m only plucking pheasants ’till the pheasant plucker comes.

Me husband is a keeper, he’s a very busy man
I try to understand him and I help him all I can,
But sometimes in the evening I feel a trifle dim
All alone, I’m plucking pheasants, when I’d rather pluck with him.

I’m not a pheasant plucker, I’m a pheasant plucker’s mate
I’m only plucking pheasants ‘cos the pheasant plucker’s late!

I’m not good at plucking pheasants, at pheasant plucking I get stuck
Though some pheasants find it pleasant I’d rather pluck a duck.
Oh plucking geese is gorgeous, I can pluck a goose with ease
But pheasant plucking’s torture because they haven’t any grease.

I’m not a pheasant plucker, he has gone out on the tiles
He only plucked one pheasant and I’m sitting here with piles!

You have to pluck them fresh, if it’s fresh they’re not unpleasant,
I knew a man in Dunstable who could pluck a frozen pheasant.
They say the village constable had pheasant plucking sessions
With the vicar on a Sunday ‘tween the first and second lessons.

I’m not a pheasant plucker, I’m a pheasant plucker’s mum
I’m only plucking pheasants ’till the pheasant plucker’s come.

My good friend Godfrey is most adept, he’s really got the knack
He likes to have a pheasant plucked before he hits the sack.
I like to give a helping hand, I gather up the feathers,
It’s really all our pheasant plucking keeps us pair together.

I’m not a pheasant plucker, I’m a pheasant plucker’s friend
I’m only plucking pheasants as a means unto an end!

My husband’s in the forest always banging with his gun
If he could hear me half the time I’m sure that he would run,
For there’s fluff in all my crannies, there’s feathers up my nose
And I’m itching in the kitchen from my head down to my toes.

I’m not a pheasant plucker, I’m a pheasant plucker’s wife
And when we pluck together it’s a pheasant plucking life!

34 Secret Squirrel { 05.31.12 at 4:10 pm }

Smauge and EH: he doesn’t anymore – he’s not exactly single, but he’s certainly not married anymore.

35 smauge { 05.31.12 at 6:11 pm }

but, alas, I am…

36 Blast From The Past { 06.03.12 at 1:04 pm }

Well, well, well. If it isn’t brain dead dave. It’s been years since I saw your face. Still stirring the proverbial shite pot from your Commodore 64? How’s the city of churches? Say a little prayer for you! Still brain dead. Still outspoken. Still never wrong. But are you still employed? Try out for Masterchef buddy. They need an antagonist like you.

37 Jan { 07.24.12 at 9:22 pm }

Matt preston I find is very bias in favor of Julia, he changes his rules to suit keeping her in , he is very contradictory specially over the last three nights . I am so disappointed, i thought he was better than that. Not happy

38 Taz { 09.05.12 at 5:10 am }

super great idea Marie. That would be the fairest immunity challenge yet….also MC Australia is MUCH better