Masterchef Australia – The Fifth Elimination And Matt Preston Wept

Well Andrew proved he was into birds last night on Masterchef Australia, even after five of the contestants had crashed and burned he was naming the poultry on the bench, though guinea foul and mutton bird did trip him up.

However before the first challenge, Gary had to do an inquisition of the contestants to try and psyche them out. The exchange between Gary to Julia was a classic:

G:”You’ve tasted some failure that’s unusual for you isn’t?”.

J:”It is. It is not my usual experience in life”

G:”Have you always been good at everything?”

J: “Mostly, I find it very hard not to be good at things”.

Pan to Tregan who was making a face, however later it was revealed that Julia and her were room mates so they probably is not as much antipathy between them as is being made out.

Hopefully Julia will stay in awhile as she is good TV. My criteria for a good Masterchef contestant is they either have to be able to cook or entertainment, and if they can do both well that is just gold. Jonathan Daddia from Season 2 and Jennifer from My Kitchen Rules this season were the perfect reality TV contestants.

Debra revealed she had been a vegetarian for a long time so she was looking very nervous about the challenge.  Her non-carnivorous background might explain why she is so good at putting flavours together when she is cooking for herself.

Alice was wondering to camera if  “they are trying to trip us up? said Alice, Um Alice you will probably trip yourself up. And that is exactly what happened. By the first four of the ten birds they had their five contestants for the elimination cook off.

It was a great test where they had to write down the names of the poultry and then reveal if they had it right.

TK faltered at the second hurdle by naming the duck a pheasant.  Lucky she was not Chinese or she would have been walking the hall of shame more then she was.  She thought it was a pheasant. She then revealed she cooked duck all the time.

Deb also thought the duck was a goose. Two in and two down.

However squab tripped up the last three with Julia, Tregan and Alice having to cook for their lives as well.

Lucky for Mario and Jules, the invisible Masterchef contestants were safe as I would have been happy to see either of them go.

They then one by one to select one of the poultry to cook.

Alice took the chicken, Julia the duck, Tregan the quail, Debra the spatchcock and TK after much drama took the turkey

TK tried to make an Asian Turkey dish and after steaming the turkey breast and drying it out had to turn  it into a stirfry.

Matt Preston gave Debra the hint about putting too many olives in the spatchcock which she ignored. However at judging they did find an olive pip. This of course meant she was verbally flagellated.

Props to Julia when Matt was giving her the duck razzle mind f**k about cooking the duck correctly.

She was like “yup”, “yup” and “yup”. She ended up under cooking it, however I thought it looked more cooked than Tregan’s quail with middle eastern flavours which Gary deemed to be cooked perfectly. I am sure there was blood in there.

Conversely Alice overcooked her Stuffed Chicken Breast with a Burnt Butter Walnut Sauce by four minutes. This probably occurred after Matt Preston had warned her that undercooked chicken had sent many a contestant home. Hint: Make sure they can actually taste your dish.

In the end TK’s dish saw her eliminated, and Matt Preston wept that she was going. If this is what is is doing on the fifth elimination he is going to be a basket case by the top ten. She will finish her law degree and then apply to the Culinary Institute to learn the skills she will require to open a Asian tapas bar.

1 Andy Pandy { 06.01.12 at 6:12 pm }

Littlepetal, I noticed you were missing too, hope you get better soon!
Daze, you are probably right about the glasses, beanie thing, I shouldn’t say anything, its just that I’ve been wearing glasses most of my life, since I was ten and I hate it and try to wear small glasses that don’t hide my face and Alice is such a pretty girl she could choose much nicer frames to show off her beautiful face.With Emma I would just like to see her without her hats at least once.
Georgie, I still think Miss Perfect Julia could act a bit more humble and be a nicer person .
CB, Maybe when “Being Lara Bingle “starts you might switch your attention to her seeing as how you’ve dumped Ajay?

2 Daze { 06.01.12 at 6:13 pm }

Jruth, in MC Speak it should be aliminated lol
TK may have put on a ‘face’ but I don’t think she quite got over Deb’s behaviour. Some people are good at smiling whilst seething inside (think duck gently cruising, feet paddling like fury where no one can see)

3 Daze { 06.01.12 at 6:22 pm }

Andy Pandy – I don’t know about psychology except to say, why do people hide behind long hair or over their face, or beanies or glasses – did someone way back when make a remark that made them feel inferior so they have their ‘thing’ to make them hide behind or under? I loved Alvin’s white frames, it so defined him (and gorgeous personality to boot). I just think Emma is brave for an 18 yr old and cute in her tea cosy to even attempt this show and no where as annoying as Dani

And yes, littlepetal, want to wish you well and we have missed your posts – always valid points that you make

Don’t know about Lara v Ajay – CB’s gone a-hunting for Ms Horne now it appears, lol

4 EH { 06.01.12 at 6:27 pm }

Littlepetal – Get well soon!! I noticed you were missing too! Missing your comments that often come with some extra bits of info / gossip :)

5 littlepetal { 06.01.12 at 7:19 pm }

Yes, no time to look for gossips. I love spoilers. Once I am home I must try to find out more. Thanks for all the good wishes. Need every good wishes I could get!!!!!!

6 sue N { 06.01.12 at 9:24 pm }

Littlepetal- I hope you are well soon, I too enjoy your posts. Good luck with your fight/recovery :)

7 Chris W { 06.01.12 at 9:35 pm }

From the body language at the start of the program to duck error to the minimal reaction to losing, I think TK had mentally resigned herself to leaving the show well before the cook-off. She was never going to win MasterChef and at least subconciously was probably happy to leave. It can’t be easy being couped up in a house and with a bunch of people who will not always be nice. This was her fourth elimination cook-off so her confidence wouldn’t have been great. Even Alice look stressed for the first time. I was unhappy to see her go because she seemed like such a nice person.

A comment on editing: the lack of off-cooktop interviews with Debra gave away that she wasn’t going home. It was especially annoying given the pip incident.

8 JStar { 06.02.12 at 7:27 pm }

Great observation Chris W. I rewatched the episode and yes, TK just seemed so mentally tired. And Littlepetal. Miss you too. Hope you feel better soon.

9 brain dead dave { 06.03.12 at 2:26 pm }

Also, for those that can’t get enough Ma$terchef, there are four hours worth of encores screening on Channel 11 as I type.

10 littlepetal { 06.03.12 at 6:08 pm }

Hi everyone- I am home now!!!! Will take one day at a time. Long road to recovery. Will have time to watch TV and posts. Must go and look for some goss.

11 Daze { 06.03.12 at 6:14 pm }

Hey littlepetal, hope things go well with recovery.

12 Georgie { 06.03.12 at 6:19 pm }

You take it easy littlepetal – don’t worry about bdd’s macarons just yet.

13 simone { 06.04.12 at 2:12 pm }

Maybe Alice wears glasses precisely because she’s so darn pretty without them. If that was her in the University pictures, she looked really attractive. Sometimes women get sick of being judged for their appearances constantly – and on this show, endlessly ogled and being made to endure long lascivious looks from judges. With the glasses, that’s not happening to Alice – I might wear them too if I was her. Plus, almost no-one talks about her cooking. Just the damn glasses. Whatever.

Some other commenters have said that this season’s bunch are just a bit hopeless – people who’ve never made cakes, cooked meringues, made mayonnaise etc. They seem a bit crap compared to earlier years. Remember Michael last year and that tall young kid who left early? Now they could cook. This year we get people who only make tacos and people who only make cupcakes and people who leave rocks in their food and people who apparently don’t make anything at all and can’t tell if meat is cooked or not. For god’s sake, I can tell if meat is cooked, otherwise my family would be sick all the time. Really average season.