The Voice Australia – Another Four Gone

It is starting to be a little like Lord Of The Flies or Survivor, in reality TV terms, as the teams have to keep on eating their own. Tonight it was Team Delta who went first with Rachael Leahcar getting the highest public vote making her safe,  and then Delta had to pick either Danni, Viktoria or Glenn. She went with her backing singer Glenn Cunningham. Viktoria and Danni must have been thrilled because that relationship makes it such and even playing field.   He can sing but there is no star quality and people wanting to vote for the older guy will be dialling the phone for Darren Percival.

Next it was Team Seal’s turn and Karise Eden scored the highest number of votes ensuring she was through to the next round. Seal then dumped Chris Sebastian, and Emma Louise Birdsall taking with him the strongest vocalist Fatai V. A tough choice but a good choice. Still I think it sucks that Emma Louise is out and Glenn Cunningham is still in.

Anyhow tonight it was Team Keith and Team Joel’s turn to show the viewer their talents.

Team Joel – Prinnie Stevens – Forever

Prinnie managed multiple fashion crimes all in the one outfit tonight with her palm tree leggings, a sequin tank top, and the studded fluro jacket. Prinnie always gives a professional performance with good singing and movement but it never hits any heights or as the coaches might say there were no moments. I can’t see her getting through next week.

Team Keith – Diana Rouvas – I Can’t Make You Love Me

Well Diana’s breasts were a surprise packet tonight. For such a petite singer she was in danger of giving a nipple slip. She has a great voice and it would appear Ricki-Lee who mentored with Team Seal does too.

Not sure what Karise, Fatai V, and Emma Louise Birdsall would make of that….

Diana was very intense when singing this song and at some points she looked like she looked like a cat bringing up a furball but she is still one of my favourite performers and wish she would get the media loving that some of the other ones do. Yes Rachael and Karise I am looking at you.

Team Joel – Lakyn Heperi – Friday on My Mind

His so called charisma is by-passing me. Last performance his discomfort was put down to not having his guitar, however he had it tonight and there were not a lot of improvement. Seal thought it was not the nerves that made him butcher The Cure classic.  However  it does not matter what he does it is likely he will get through.

Team Keith – Britanny Cairns – Walking In A Straight Line

She sang it well, however her performance was very much like she would do at Hillsong. Delta called her out saying she was wanting her to perform more, and the audience started booing. Joel told the audience to shut up, and said they  were there to teach them. Which was kind of ironic considering there was no negativity from the judges on the first live show…

Team Keith – Adam Martin – Romeo and Juliette

Seriously Adam Martin has far more charisma then Lakyn Heperi in my opinion. I have a Dires Strait’s phobia but his rendition was good. He and Lakyn’s followers must be split as both of the singers have many similarities.

Team Joel – Sarah De Bono – How Will I Know

One of the stand outs on Team Joel, and she looks like a younger version of Grace from Will and Grace. She nailed the song.

Joel gushed “I am so proud of you – you don’t need me anymore”. Which does make you wonder who will get recording contracts out of this show.

Team Keith – Darren Percival – I Believe (When I Fall In Love)

Well he knocked it out of the ball park. His voting demographic the over 30 year old woman will be going bonkers over this attention grabbing performance. Just when you thought it could not get any better it did with its gospel type feel.

Team Joel – Ben Hazelwood – I’m With You

Did his brother commit suicide? As they are always eluding to it but nothing is ever said, and the lyrics to this song would certainly point in that direction. Ben who was formerly on New Zealand Idol is a nice little singer, but I cannot see him staying in the competition after this week.

Predictions on who will go from Team Keith are Adam Martin and Brittany Murphy, and Prinnie and Ben will leave from Team Joel’s team.

Who do you think will make it through to the next round?

1 Marepoppin { 06.05.12 at 12:00 am }

Should have stuck with first names only in your wrap up RR… Brittany Murphy’s long dead. It’s Brittany Cairns who’s alive and singing lol

2 Mel { 06.05.12 at 12:02 am }

Great summary RR!

I waited to see Delta bravely send Glenn to the exit door tonight but was disappointed to see her completely chicken out. She must know he looks nothing like a potential winner of this show, but favouritism be damned she’s gonna take him all the way.

Overall I’ve noticed there’s been a fair bit of talk about questionable song choices and I think the impression you get from most of the singers in each of their preambles is they are with us on that topic. None of them seem terribly excited when they find out what they are singing, do they?

For mine, I think Prinnie has been hugely let down by Joel’s crap song choices for her and the appalling outfits/styling. I got the impression that when she heard what song she was to sing tonight she went “Really??” Poor girl, I expected more from her based on the battle with Mahalia.

Diana – awesome analogy about the cat bringing up a furball! She does often do a funny thing moving her shoulders up and down, and now that you say it I can totally see it. Yes, she’s a great singer but just too “Tina Arena” for me if that makes sense.

Lakyn – apologies to his teenage fandom out there, but seriously girls, can’t you set your sights just a LITTLE higher? He does not have a great voice, and nor does he have great performance value. Robert Smith would have been appalled.

Brittany – a bit of a let-down, this one, and hardly memorable. It was a strange choice for her voice, I thought. Will be interesting to see if the public are quite so hot on her this week.

Poor Adam – I think choosing a Dire Straits song, no matter how great it is, is just too dated for him. He did a nice job, but I thought him singing Lonely Boy was way superior (and cooler!) and yet another example of how boring song choice inevitably lacks punch on prime time tv.

Sarah – HONESTLY!! If I hear another talent show contestant with a big voice singing either a Whitney Houston or Mariah Carey song I will…… I dunno what, but really, it just screams “unimaginative”.

Darren is great fun to watch just because he’s so natural and comfortable on stage and tirelessly looks like he’s having a great time no matter what. Obviously he’s stitched the mum and nana vote, but I’ve really warmed to him.

Ben – the ‘pimp spot’ for this song? Boring.

Ben and Prinnie look like they’ve been set up to be booted out frankly. Years of watching shows like this will tell you that they never ever punt the good-looking ones (apparently that’s Lakyn?) while they keep the chicks watching.

I’d like Keith to keep Darren and Adam but suspect Adam will be sacrificed for either Diana or Brittany. Darren looks to be a shoe-in if the public don’t vote for him.

3 John { 06.05.12 at 1:57 am }

If you run a reality tv show blog and think you are qualified enough to comment on the quality of a performance and singing can you PLEASE at least get the names of the songs right.
Walking in a straight line? Do you mean Straight Lines by Silverchair…
Friday on my mind?…. Friday I’m in Love!
Pop culture should really be a part of your knowledge if this is your profession!

4 dmc { 06.05.12 at 7:25 am }

Someone’s cranky….

5 Shelsta78 { 06.05.12 at 7:32 am }

Hey people, in case you didn’t notice there were at least 5 shows on last night that RR is likely to comment on – if you want the wrap up posted as close to the end of the show as possible, I think a little tolerance of typos and wrong song names is in order – especially seen as you knew what she meant anyway.

After seeing Mr Percival on this show, I hope all the A&R people that have said no to him in the past are kicking themselves. I still think Fatai is a big chance to win.

6 Georgie { 06.05.12 at 7:39 am }

Yes dmc and Shelsta78, you beat me to it.

Why so surly John? The same thing can be said in a helpful, courteous manner.

7 Daze { 06.05.12 at 8:11 am }

I’m a bit confused – how come the contestants from the previous week’s show are in the same clothes last night? (note Joel’s tiger hairdo, didn’t see that last week – it was fantastic btw). Do they put the same outfits on or is it editing and the judging gets done after songs finished last Monday ?

8 Kugelhopf { 06.05.12 at 8:11 am }

What’s with Delta and Lakyn? She positively dislikes him — or maybe she’s jealous he’s not on her team?

9 Daze { 06.05.12 at 8:20 am }

Delta waffles and needs to get to the point! She and Darren (host) apparently are hitting it off?

Did you see the shocked looks on Seal and Joel’s face when Delta chose Glenn?

10 Joseph Skyrim { 06.05.12 at 9:04 am }

Gotta admit I watched it last night as I wasn’t in my house so no control of channel. Darren and Diana were the best of the night and should be the ones that go through just so they can sing again. Blind chick is gonna be neigh unstoppable though, unless people tire of her by the time the finals come around. Eden may give a good run for her money voting wise, but the best singers as far as I’m concerned are on Team Keith (though they will not win on public support). 😛

11 smauge { 06.05.12 at 9:49 am }

John – It’s not RR’s profession, it’s something she does for our reading pleasure. I’d like to see you write out reviews of reality shows that run at 5 a night some nights, while juggling a young family and a job. As Georgie said, You can say in a courteous manner. Otherwise, if you don’t like it, just bugger off.
Daze – I’ve been wondering about the clothes thing myself! What’s with that? Surely they’re not trying to make us think they’ve been standing there all week waiting for the votes to decide they’re fate? Or do the producers think we are too stupid to remember who’s who unless they dress them the same as their performance?
Darren Percival is amazing. That is all.

12 Trent { 06.05.12 at 10:33 am }

– Well said Smauge some people are really rude.

Was almost ready to flip the channel when Delta yet again saved her backup singer.. Seriousley annoyed me. Get rid of her and Seal.. Was sad to see Emma Louise and Viktoria go.

Highlight was Sarah De Bono & Diana Rouvas. Lakyn was horrible as always

13 brain dead dave { 06.05.12 at 11:58 am }

The Voice drags on forever. Channel surfing, I found the singing highlight for me last night was the beacon lighting ceremony in Canberra. Prime Minister refuses to sing along to God Save The Queen, while Opposition leader looking real sheepish standing right next to Peter Sipper. Just the three of them.

14 Kelsta { 06.05.12 at 12:07 pm }

I pretty much agree with RR about all the contestant’s performances. A few things to add:

Prinnie: looks like a doe caught in the headlights and her performance was very “mechanical”. Could see her thinking too much about her next dance move.

Diana: AWESOME! Loved how she nearly started crying at the end as it showed she really related to the song but she needs to work on her backstage presence as the little interview with Faustina = BORING.

Lakyn: will get through on the teen vote, but I think he will have a very successful pub gig career. I don’t see the star quality that the judges seem to.

Britanny: was totally given the wrong song by Keith and it will be her downfall. Shame really, as I loved her singing with Keith on his song – maybe a country song instead would have made her come alive?

Adam: loved his quirky take on Dire Straits but don’t think he’s strong enough to get through next week.

Sarah: the song was cheesy, and after hearing the behind-the-scenes on how she was going to do it “differently” or “her way”, there wasn’t really much difference to the original Whitney arrangement. I was disappointed as she is a really great singer and performer.

Darren: I get that he’s marketed toward the older demographic which apparently I’m part of, but I would like to see him do something a little more “current’. LOVED his performance last night though, and got goosebumps through the TV. He should get through.

Ben: not really an outstanding singer/performer and is already forgotten.

A note on the judges:
Seal: needs to stop recycling his standard judging lines each week and come up with some new feedback.

Joel: stay away from the bars on Monday afternoons man – each week you’re making less and less sense.

Delta: I fast forward every time you speak as I don’t want to hear the dribble. But still think you’re great.

Keith: Would like to get between you and your Calvins but whilst your feedback was legible, I think you visited the same bar as Joel last night.

That is all.

15 Chunks { 06.05.12 at 12:47 pm }

Am I really the only one who wasn’t impressed by Darren’s rendition of I Believe? Played Garfunkel’s original afterwards and thought Darren completely lost the beautiful melody. I’d rather keep Ben than Lakyn or Adam, despite the “boyband hands” thing. Interesting to look at iTunes and see that there was a sudden run on downloads of the Dire Straits original outselling Adam’s cover. Diana was great again but I can’t bear that Mariah Carey style of gargling and the ten notes per syllable look at my range style Sarah used on How Will I Know.

16 EH { 06.05.12 at 12:47 pm }

Poor Prinnie! First with Nikky Minaj’s song, then with fluro top & palm tree pants. The Prinnie who stole the show during the battle round against Mahalia was no way to be seen.

iTune chart is the dead set spoiler. So don’t go there if you don’t want to know the results. For team Seal, Kerise top the chart, followed by Fatai. Rachel was the front runner, followed by Glen in team Delta. So looks like both coaches pick the 2 contestants who had the 2nd highest votes. Looking at the chart, Glen did better than Diana & Viktoria. It is not favoritism that Delta picked his backup singer. I personally like Viktoria but terrible song choice & terrible rendition of Nirvana song. Emma Louise’s song gets more votes than Glen. Not a surprise but we had to accept the show format that is how it is going to be.

Darren did a stellar job but not sure about his star quality. He has great voice but just a tad too retro for the younger audience.

Lakyn is fast losing his supporters. I am not surprised his FB tweeners votes will go to Adam & Ben as they both did well last night.

I love Ben’s voice and his good look but he comes across as cold (perhaps it is his nerve or shyness) on stage and I find it hard to connect
with him. I wish Mitchell is still in the competition. He has the whole package and triumph over Ben, Adam & Lakyn.

My pick for team Joel is Sarah de Bono will get voted in and it will be interesting to see who Joel is going to pick, Ben or Lakyn (the voice or the look?). Prinnie has zero chance.

As for team Keith, Darren is unbeatable although I very much love to see Diana get voted in but she didn’t seem to get votes with with her show stealing performancr from previous round. I hope Keith will save Diana but there is a chance he will pick Britany. I find Britany boring and althiugh she has angelic voice but after weeks of similar performance, I am not excited about her any more. Love Adam’s performance last night but unfortunately team Keith is too strong for him to shine.

I reckon the final battle will be between Kerise & Darren. Their songs sell and I love love live Kerise’s voice and I am hoping Seal will give her some good song choices leading to the final.

17 brain dead dave { 06.05.12 at 12:59 pm }

I’m not riding the Pops Percival train, Chunks. I’ve been critical of his penchant for deconstructing perfectly fine melodies before.

More than baptised , as Keith Urban put it , I felt craptised by his beige effort last night.

18 Binator { 06.05.12 at 1:07 pm }

Shame Emma has gone. Would have been good to hear her sing a great jazz number. She obviously does soul really well but there’s clearly more to this young lady’s vocal talent than what we have heard.
Don’t give up, Emma. This is just the beginning for you!
Agree with you RR – can’t believe that Glenn Cunningham is still in.

19 auds { 06.05.12 at 1:10 pm }

I thought the boy who sang Romeo and Juliet did a great rendition of it. Loved Darren Percival and Diana.

Still think Karise has it in the bag

20 brain dead dave { 06.05.12 at 1:25 pm }

Chris Sebastian being sent home was a highlight of the series and finally that nauseating voting promo for I Can’t Stand The Rain is gone forever.
I don’t think his brother was mentioned last night- for a change.

21 elpo { 06.05.12 at 1:35 pm }

Didn’t notice this until last night, but Adam sounds a bit like Tom Petty. In the unlikely event that he’s around for another week, it’d be interesting to hear him take on one of his songs.

Nice strategy giving Lakyn a song sung by a man who made a career out of going off-key as an “artistic choice”. I see what you did there, Joel. I do love me some Cure, and am grateful that they picked my least favorite song of theirs for Lakyn to kill (not in the good way).

22 Andy Pandy { 06.05.12 at 1:41 pm }

Hey, Cranky John, try doing a guest post recap on a show to help RR. I did one the other day, it takes time and is not as easy as it looks. I’m sure RR would appreciate it.

23 Joseph Skyrim { 06.05.12 at 2:24 pm }

@BDD – did you happen to channel hop onto the Melbourne comedy festival? I caught a hilarious song by Dead Cat Bounce and thought they were better than most of the voice contestants. 😛

24 sue N { 06.05.12 at 4:08 pm }

just a note- I believe “reality ravings” is more or less run as a business- see the “about” section…..

25 brain dead dave { 06.05.12 at 4:18 pm }

No Joseph #22 , missed that. I surfed between Ma$terchef, The Voice, ABC2 and ABC 24. Though I’ve heard of Dead Cat Bounce somewhere before.

26 Alanah { 06.05.12 at 6:32 pm }

I was in the audience last night, and can confidently say that the performances seem to have come across the same live as they did on TV.
Darren and Diana were standouts and the audience reacted really well to them. The rest were still great, except for Prinnie. She was quite pitchy, and her microphone technique is shocking, thus lots of her singing faded into the background.
My predictions for next week are Diana and Darren for Team Keith and Sarah and Layken for Team Joel.
Quite interesting to see how the contestants come across in person, too. Most were lovely and very accomodating, except for Rachael, who was only on the read carpet for 2 minutes max, and Prinnie, who seemed to think she was above everyone and didn’t have to give anyone the time of day.

27 smauge { 06.05.12 at 7:03 pm }

sue N – with the amount of time and effort RR puts into this blog, it would be stupid not to try and make it profitable in someway. This does not necessarily make it her profession. This is all semantics really, and someone leaving a rude comment over a couple of typos is really a bit of an over-reaction. First world problem on John’s part.
Alanah – Not really surprising Rachael doesn’t linger on the red carpet. With her impared sight, it must be quite disorientating.

28 valia { 06.05.12 at 8:52 pm }

@ sue N u beat me to it, ur absolutely right, it is a profession, it is ridiculous for anyone to assume RR would put in all this time and effort for nothing.
Yes john was rude but he does have a point, if this were another of RR’s current affair/today tonight interviews, im sure there would not be that many errors.

29 Georgie { 06.05.12 at 9:03 pm }

If this site is so damn disappointing and fails to meet your expectations why don’t you go elsewhere to get your blog rocks off – hmm?

98% of commenters don’t have a problem with it so RR doesn’t need to worry too much about the 2%.

30 sue N { 06.05.12 at 9:59 pm }

actually Georgie, that’s exactly what I have resorted to- going to other sites/blogs that actually do the shows- or most of them, not just a select few (plus random shit that’s not even on).

This is in fact what RR used to do too, and what her blurb still says she does!!!!! & the reason I started reading her blogs in the first place… and I somehow doubt her following is so large that she can afford to lose us “2%”- as you so “rudely” put it!

& I was pointing out that she does purport to run her blog/services as a business- I was not commenting on the “mistakes”- but I still say, if it is a business of blogging on reality shows, why are so many not being blogged on….

31 valia { 06.05.12 at 10:01 pm }

@ georgie I’m not that fussed about RR’S mistakes, if u read my post u will clearly see my response was aimed at people like smauge who choose to shoot their mouth off without knowing facts. I don’t expect anything from this free blog.

32 Georgie { 06.05.12 at 10:20 pm }

sue N – I was answering the post above mine. I was commenting on the issue people make about RR’s mistakes. There was absolutely nothing rude in what I said.

If you choose to take my comment as directed at you and if you choose to interpret it as rude, that’s your choice. Your choices are your responsibility not mine.

33 smauge { 06.05.12 at 10:20 pm }

Geez it must be hard to be perfect Valia! You really must write a blog about it so we can all learn from you.

34 sue N { 06.05.12 at 10:25 pm }

Georgie- I see you are adding “condescending” to your list of “skills”…. As I am not clairvoyant, how could I know to whom you were directing your comments?

35 Georgie { 06.05.12 at 10:46 pm }

sue N I’m not an antagonist, I don’t initiate trouble here and I don’t want to fall out with you over fly-by-night commenters who call in just to give RR a serve for a few piddling errors. I’ve said all I’m going to say on this issue.

36 brain dead dave { 06.05.12 at 10:49 pm }

But it’s okay for you to be “condescending” to RR, sue N?

37 sue N { 06.05.12 at 11:10 pm }

I believe I have legitimately asked (complained too) about the lack of blogs on a lot of the current batch of reality shows- I may have inadvertently been condescending when an answer was not forthcoming- I can’t recall any specific instance, but I have no doubt you will advise me of any….

and I believe my point is still valid- where are all the blogs on the reality shows that RR used to do and no longer apparently does??

if she has changed what her blog is about or can no longer cover most shows, that is fine and her prerogative- just let me (& some others I would guess) know, and I will look eslewhere-as I in fact have been doing for a little while now.

woe betide I query where all the blogs have gone…GOD!!!!

38 Reality Raver { 06.05.12 at 11:59 pm }

Sorry guys for the mistakes in the blog post, But rough day yesterday half of it spent in A&E with my partner, so was a tad exhausted and behind the eight ball.

39 valia { 06.06.12 at 12:40 am }

why thankyou smauge, its not really that hard, just keep to topics u actually know about :)

40 valia { 06.06.12 at 12:53 am }

@ georgie if u were responding to the post above yours, i.e. mine, could u please point out where i said i was disappointed in RR’s blog? Or what exactly my expectations are, seeing as u know so much about me.
As i will point out again i am not fussed by the mistakes, i was annoyed by the silly comment smauge. I like most of the blogs, some i prefer over watching the actual show, i just can’t stand some me the moronic comments.

41 Georgie { 06.06.12 at 1:02 am }

Betty’s on the bottle again.

42 sue N { 06.06.12 at 7:18 am }

RR- I hope your partner is ok.

I am not trying to rude or condescending (!!) I just would like to know if you are changing the focus of this blog/your business- temporarily or permanently??

You no longer blog on a quite a few shows, and I would just like to know if this is a change in the focus of your blog, so I can go elsewhere for commentaries on most of the reality shows on TV…. (which I have been doing of late, as they haven’t been on here)
that is all I have been asking for a while…

I realise you have other commitments too, (we all do), but this is promoted as a blog on all things reality, not just a select few, so I do think my question is fair… :) that’s all

43 smauge { 06.06.12 at 7:49 am }

I’m really not sure what comment of mine you have deemed silly. Is it the one where I stuck up for the person who writes my favourite blog because someone else was picking it apart over petty typos? Please let me know Valia. Because until you started attacking me I had said nothing to you.
I cannot believe some of the vitriol being fired around here at the moment over something so petty. It’s pretty straight forward if you ask me. If you don’t like the blog, don’t read it! But there is no need to attack people with personal insults because we’ve stuck up for RR and what she chooses to write about and not write about on her blog.
Whether you deem it to be her profession or not – like I said, all semantics if you ask me – it is her blog and her prerogative to write about what she wants. It’s your choice whether to come on here and read it. Maybe the simplicity of that concept seems silly to you Valia, but I doubt RR cares about your opinion, and from now on neither will I.

44 Booper { 06.11.12 at 1:25 am }

Team Joel:
Laykin Heperi is in trouble… I have been following the Itunes charts and his rendition of The Cure’s classic was the second least popular followed by Prinnie Stevens. I have been following the correlation between itunes popularity and artists that have been voted out and it is pretty spot on. So I am going to predict that Sarah De Bono and Ben Hazelwood will go through based on their last performances. This is unfortunate as I think Laykin has a better voice than Ben, although Ben singing fantastic songs.

Team Keith: Darren Perciveal will definately go through based on the itunes charts, followed by Dianna R. Brittany bombed with the Silverchair song, but I am hoping that she will get through…

45 geoff watson { 06.12.12 at 7:07 pm }

KEITH you are stipid for not picking DIANNE, what come over a pro like you .Picking that Guy over DIANNE, what a load of Bullshit

46 geoff watson { 06.13.12 at 2:42 pm }

KEITH,you are stupid for not picking DIANNE,what come over a pro like you.Picking that guy over DIANNE, what a load of BULLSHIT.Ill never watch THE VOICE ever again.

47 Daze { 06.13.12 at 3:07 pm }

geoff watson, tch tch, this isn’t actually Keith’s blog, hence he won’t read about you calling him stupid. I’m sure Australia won’t miss you not watching The Voice again. We will……….. and we, the viewers, don’t know what their choices are based on. Agree Dianne is absolutely wonderful, but you win some and you lose some. She’ll go onto great things Im sure.

48 valia { 06.17.12 at 10:52 pm }

@smauge the silly comment i was referring to is: it’s not RR’s profession its something she does for our reading pleasure.

49 Anonymous { 09.19.12 at 9:17 am }

Bens brother did not commit suicide

50 http://www.publishme.co.nz/publishme/blog/?p=982 { 07.30.13 at 1:08 am }