Masterchef Australia – Salamanca Market Challenge

Masterchef Australia first away trip this series is Tasmania and the first stop was Hobart. The challenge was to run a market stall at Salamanca Markets. They could only use produce at the markets and they had six hours to make as much money as possible. As it they might say in Celebrity Apprentice it is all about the money.

Each team had $500 for ingredients. Unfortunately it is not like a proper stall where it is all about the profit margin.

The two team who makes the most money wins will have the opportunity to hunt for immunity. However out of the top two the judges decides the top team with the best food will win.

The advantage Sam received for winning the invention test was being able to pick his own team not really the same as cooking off for an immunity pin. He picked Ben, Mindy, Kylie and Amina. He also got the lucky blue apron.

The rest of them had to get pull colours out of a hessian bag, with all teams having five members except for the yellow team who only had four.

Julia’s nose was out of joint in not getting selected by Sam, as she said “I have run a market stall before so they better watch out!”  She was on the yellow team with Audra, Alice and Debra.

The green team led by Tregan were quick out of the blocks getting out a bacon and egg sandwich. However they did go to a butcher to get the bacon which I thought was not really the rules in the buying from the market. However if the others were able to do so then it is fair. Not sure why Andrew the captain from the red team did not go there himself to get eggs rather then wandering around moaning.

The red team was a mess led by Andrew. Andy, Dalvinder, Mario and Filippo were his team mates and they picked labour intensive food to cook. They decided on lamb skewers, samosas, crepes with strawberries. Also he did not appear to give great directions. They did not get their food out until two and half hours before the end of the challenge. Even then the lamb skewers were not cooked on one side. Mario appeared to be in charge of that.

However Filippo’s roti with strawberry dessert was deemed to be the best dish from the team.

The Blue Team made Gozleme, Hotcakes with Apple and Blue Cheese, Pumpkin Soup, and a Breakfast Sandwich. They left rind on bacon. However the continually pimped Ben as the only Tassie in the competition. The girl selling the local paper was not too impressed when he came up and interrupted her tete a tete with Andy.

Green team were a well oiled machine making bacon and egg sandwich, pumpkin soup, and pikelets with berries. They priced their food low hoping for high turnover. The judges also liked all of their dishes. Also a smart strategy that they only made three dishes. Wade and Jules were on this team, this time we did see Jules serving but barely a camera shot of Wade.

The yellow team had one less team mate and they went for BLT, crepes with mince,  and crepes with caramelised apple. When they were having difficulties getting filling for the crepes they turned a savoury plum relish into plum sauce for the crepe, and then charged $6.00 for it.

The green team’s strategy back fired with them making the lowest amount of money of $1251.80. They looked shocked. The red team also joined them in the bottom two, no surprise there.

The yellow team made  $1497.50 and the blue team made over $1700. However this did not automatically make the blue teams the winners, however the judges put them out of their misery and told them they also had the best food, and would be the team going on the hunt for immunity. Hopefully Sam will win the salmon challenge and get to cook off for an immunity pin.

1 kingfisher { 06.05.12 at 9:27 am }

we have austar and it is a piece of s..t , it did not record last night’s show but after reading RR blog i am glad it didn’t record i hate these stupid team against team challenges there is not one person who out out cooks anyone, you can peel potatoes and still be in the winning team, yet you have a dunderhead in your team and the next minute your in a elimination . RR you saved me 60 minutes of my life with your blog i thank you .

2 Reality Raver { 06.05.12 at 9:41 am }

Kingfisher – It was an OK episode but nothing dramatic occurred. What I like about those challenges is how they decide which dishes to cook.

3 Jess { 06.05.12 at 9:42 am }

This episode was kind of dull. And except for maybe the green team, all their food was really expensive, and I would have hesitated to buy any of it. I mean, you have a little booth at a market…not an airport.

I also wonder if the yellow team would have fared better, had they a fifth member…

4 Reality Raver { 06.05.12 at 9:43 am }

Jess – one thing I forgot to put in the recap was how pissed off the normal food stall holders must have been as they must have had a bad day in takings.

5 smauge { 06.05.12 at 9:53 am }

Tregan’s reaction to being the team that came last was priceless.

6 Amy { 06.05.12 at 9:58 am }

I’ve never even been to Tasmania and I know the food is crazy expensive there. You’d be hard pressed to get a bacon & egg sandwich anywhere in Australia for $4! Very silly of the Greens to set their prices so low. It was a shame as it seemed like they had the best food.

7 Dunbi { 06.05.12 at 10:07 am }

A little bit of Alice goes a long way. Gary complaining about undercooked meat? I was wondering how pissed off the regular Saturday customers would be when they couldn’t get their eggs. 2 eggs and you still decide to feed the masses with pancakes? I wish they would bbq those tight red pants.

8 Dr T { 06.05.12 at 10:40 am }

Maybe making them buy in the markets was the way to off set some of the annoyance of other stall holders…

I suspect those markets go off normally, not sure if MC would have dragged in any extra people just for a gawk…

Was busy at work and missed half the episode… no disappointment there. I suspect I’m getting a bit tired of MC after 4 years

9 Dunbi { 06.05.12 at 11:10 am }

I was at the Salamanca Markets two weeks ago and the place was mobbed. Thought two stalls doing pumpkin soup was funny as everywhere I went and asked what the soup of the day was, it was pumpkin. Great markets by the way.

10 Maryann { 06.05.12 at 11:11 am }

The episode was a bit dull. I am glad blue won and hope Amina gets a change at immunity she desserves it far more than Mindy did. I am constantly surprised in the group challenges how many times they try to sell food that is not properly cooked.

11 littlepetal { 06.05.12 at 11:19 am }

I prefer the stalls challenge on MKR. Was watching with the mute button on as I was on the phone again!!! I thought this challenge didn’t showcase the talents of the contestants (if they have any). Most of the dishes were just ordinary. Also the comments from the judges didn’t match with picking the team for the immunity challenge (was of the phone then to hear the judges comments) I thought the Blue team dishes were not that great.

12 brain dead dave { 06.05.12 at 11:44 am }

Mute button on with subtitles enabled is the way to go this year, littlepetal. These eps will probably be repeated $unday lunch time on 11.

I switched to The Voice half way through Ma$terchef, not much better.

13 Sioux Denim { 06.05.12 at 11:48 am }

I too hope Amina gets the chance to cook for immunity – as she said, her dishes have both won in previous challenges…..

I do like Sam too – not bad on the eye at all RR!!!

14 Mel { 06.05.12 at 12:01 pm }

Was really looking forward to Tasmanian eps as I lived there for many years.
Just feels like Masterchef challenges aren’t very well thought through. Its all feeling very one dimensional this year. Very “copy and paste”.
Dissapointed.

15 Dr T { 06.05.12 at 12:07 pm }

I agree with you SD, I was very happy to hear Amina pointing out that she’s really kicked butt twice, but got nothing to show for it…

Interesting how Julia turns her nose up when she gets snubbed – once by Mindy in her second spin at ammunity, and now by Sam.

16 Chunks { 06.05.12 at 1:04 pm }

Amina is da bomb this year. I’m rooting for her but I suspect Ben is the one who will make a TV career out of this series. Julia seems to have some sort of personality disorder.

17 brain dead dave { 06.05.12 at 1:09 pm }

She’s bound to win an Aminaty Pin soon.

18 EH { 06.05.12 at 1:16 pm }

No elimination makes a dull episode. Have seen many similar market challenges in MC & MKR, no excitement there.

19 Andy Pandy { 06.05.12 at 1:16 pm }

Julia is not well liked because she is arrogant and loves herself. I heard her say twice that she has run a market stall before so knows what to do and made herself captain.Very humble of you Julia! Ben seemed quite pleased that Kylie was picked by Sam to be in the blue team, maybe there is a little romance going on there?. The stall holders would have made some money selling the ingredients but I thought getting just two eggs to feed hundreds was stupid, surely they could have found more eggs somewhere? Those markets are the best, it made me want to be there!

20 kingfisher { 06.05.12 at 1:57 pm }

Not fair there is no eye candy for me this year , only julie goodwin was the hot mama for me ooohh that slight hint of a mo on a woman ,”hold me back ” she’s mine bdd .

21 brain dead dave { 06.05.12 at 2:20 pm }

Eye candy?

Come hither, Irmgaard! Yeah.Wow! Baby!

If Julie Goodwin was in this year , it could have been Muslim v Catholic.Two passionate heavyweights going at it.

22 kingfisher { 06.05.12 at 2:30 pm }

in jelly !!! i have tingle down my back just thinking about meow!!

23 Reality Raver { 06.05.12 at 2:43 pm }

BDD – Oh God they need to do a Masterchef All Stars and bring back Irmgaard.

Kingfisher -what did you think of Lydia? I think Debra is attractive. But after seeing Sam carrying that load last night he is the definite hot tamale in the series.

Little Petal – Don’t people know not to ring you when MC is on?

Agree with everyone – Amina needs an immunity pin, in fact the one that Mindy has should be hers…

Andy Pandy – Did you notice the big hug at the end between Ben and Kylie? I seriously think there will be a romance there. FFS they are shut up in a house for months something is bound to happen.

24 kingfisher { 06.05.12 at 2:51 pm }

RR lydia’s head is too big for me i’m not into big headed women .as for debra we call her norman at home as she reminds us of a uncle norman from somewhere in our past …. the only hotty i reckon who would have fire is audra the way she jumps around , you would be fair game at home with her ,every opportunity she be jumping you !!!

25 JStar { 06.05.12 at 3:12 pm }

The Green Team cooks the best food as agreed by the judges but set their prices according to what we average folks will pay and they come in last. And RR, I disagree. We did see many shots of Wade’s eyebrows in the background which is more than what we viewers have seen of him for the past 2 weeks. At least Tregan managed to go all Blair Witch Project with the hand-held camera at the start of the episode as a consolation prize.

The Red Team’s aprons accessorised with Andrew’s pants and they couldn’t find eggs because all of the other teams bought all of them. Mario’s lamb skewers weren’t cooked, Dalvinder’s dough was too thick, and their best dish came out with less than two hours to go. They had the worse food but yet did not come last? But hey, this episode dispelled any myths about Andrew’s sexuality with his sardonic one-liners about laying eggs. Yes Andrew. We’ve all been there. 😛

The Yellow Team cook three outstanding dishes and miss one “alament” in the BLT sandwich. They are one member down. And somehow the Blue Team’s dishes were better because they had better “spirit”? Ladies, I know all of you are taken. But a bit of advice, if you want Gary & George to vote for you, you need to turn on the waterworks and let them “hug” you. Worked for Dani and Ellie last year.

The Blue Team pimps newly single Ben at every opportunity and engage in distraction to sabotage any last minute sales to the other teams at the end of the challenge. They also cook pretty meh food accept for the aesthetically displeasing pikelets. And they are deemed the winners? Are you serious? If Amina wins immunity, there would at least be some justice in the end after the debacle in awarding Mindy the prize after she cooked the worst dish last week.

26 littlepetal { 06.05.12 at 3:46 pm }

RR- Bless those that ring me. They are checking on me to see how I am as I just came back from the hospital. I didn’t miss much.

27 Suziekue { 06.05.12 at 3:49 pm }

I agree JStar – the Green Team’s food was affordable and good quality. It would be the stall I’d head for first. I visited the Salamanca Markets a couple of years ago and enjoyed a memorable dish of tempura swiss brown mushrooms. It was priced around $5.00 a plate. Do they still have them? Soooo yummy on a cold winter’s day.

And I’m with you brain dead dave – I couldn’t watch this show without my mute button.

28 Marepoppin { 06.05.12 at 5:20 pm }

Fun fact: I met the blonde woman who they interviewed about the red teams food in South Africa 5 years ago and we travelled together for two weeks. Haven’t spoken to her since. Isn’t it a small world :)

29 Pangus { 06.05.12 at 5:33 pm }

Time for Andrew to go.
He couldn’t find eggs. Yet later towards the end, Tregan raced out and bought more eggs .

30 Chris W { 06.05.12 at 5:42 pm }

Pangus, green team should have been disqualified and targeted for an elimination round for buying the eggs from a shop rather than the market. There is an independent supermarket (Fresh Fruit) pretty much adjacent to where they were set up as well as the gourmet shop Tregan used and teams could have made almost anything if they’d used it. Salamanca is essentially a market for tourists and apart from a market garden section supply of fresh eggs and meat is limited to one or two stalls.

31 Gidgit { 06.05.12 at 7:03 pm }

I prefered the way they did it on My Kitchen Rules. The people vote for the best stall’s food. Yet again the judges of Masterchef could completely control who wins out of the top two. Not like we could taste the dishes!! And really wasn’t MUCH of a cooking challenge really. Pretty sure most of us can make crepes, egg and bacon sandwiches and soup!!

32 littlepetal { 06.05.12 at 8:14 pm }

Gidgit-That is why they are not calling them masterchef anymore. More like the best home cooks

33 patti judd { 06.06.12 at 1:38 pm }

tell the blond girl to put her hair away from her face and please tell the judges NOT TO LICK their knives