The Amazing Race – If You Are Not Watching Please Explain

The Amazing Race Australia kicked off last week on Channel Seven to what was a stand out episode.

However it did not get the ratings it deserved as it struggled to break the 900,000 mark. If you are a reality TV fan this series was the best Australia reality TV show on our screens last year, and looks like it has out done itself this season.

If you are not watching it tell me why?

Unfortunately if the show does not rate well it will get pulled so I would urge readers to watch. And if you are sceptical just watch ten minutes of last week’s episode and I can guarantee you will be watching all of it. The full episode is on the official website here.

Also here was my recap from last week but a summary of the highlights:

• Sarah the Cougar both with attitude and clothing;
  • The alpha male team that crumbled at the first setback;
  • The challenges that were tough enough that the lead changed each time;
  • The good looking indigenous guys;
  • The kooky hairdressers from WA with their aura spray;
  • The cheerleaders who are not as ditzy as they first appear; and
  • Actually all the cast.

UPDATE: TV Tonight has this interview with Paul and Steve who say they don’t mind being the villains on this series.

Please support this show, we constantly whinge that we don’t get Australia formats of the big shows from overseas. We have got it and it is better than the US version – Watch it.

The Amazing Race Australia screens on Wednesday nights on Channel 7 at 9.00pm.

1 paula { 06.06.12 at 10:49 am }

I loved it too! Would hate to see it disappear.

Perhaps between the block, voice, DWTS and masterchef people are a just running out of time. I had to watch it on catch up this week cause my tv can only record so much! lol

2 Tickled Pink { 06.06.12 at 10:49 am }

This is one of my favourite reality TV shows as well
Definitely better than the US version & very addictive!!!

3 Georgie { 06.06.12 at 10:54 am }

RR – “By the way this is NOT an advertorial or sponsored post, I am just going to be seriously pissed off if this show is not renewed.” – Well I’m pleased we got that sorted before the malcontents arrive.

I enjoyed the first ep and although I didn’t watch the series last year, I intend to this year.

4 Reality Raver { 06.06.12 at 11:01 am }

Yes everyone we must start some sort of campaign for this show. If it maintains the pace it set last week it can only get better as we get to know the contestants more.

5 Fi { 06.06.12 at 11:07 am }

I really enjoyed the Aussie version of amazing race but miss Phil as host. He is so much better at it then grant. Something about the way he pauses in all the correct places when speaking. It is close to the us version but not as good as. However, love the hairdressers. Hope they stay for a while but I doubt it.

6 littlepetal { 06.06.12 at 11:17 am }

I watched last year and I love it. Actually I hardly watched the US series. Didn’t watch the first episode as I was too drowsy (just been wheeled to my room after surgery!!!!) Will watch tonight. I am sure the ratings will go up because of me.

7 PollyB { 06.06.12 at 11:25 am }

Yes, this is the best Aus reality TV. Ever. I want 2 series a year.

8 Reality Raver { 06.06.12 at 11:25 am }

Little Petal – What is happening with you surgery and phone calls – hope all is well.

Georgie – Should also explain there has been a lot of chatter online elsewhere about bloggers and sponsored posts. I don’t do them, but I just wanted people to know because I was so gushy about The Amazing Race Australia and urging people to watch it that it was not paid for

9 Chunks { 06.06.12 at 11:47 am }

I like it but it’s possible that the American version has been running so long that the format is a bit stale to attract viewers now.

10 Georgie { 06.06.12 at 11:49 am }

RR, when I read that, I understood completely why you’d feel the need to clarify it up front.

11 Sioux Denim { 06.06.12 at 12:00 pm }

Love this show – never watched a US series in full, caught maybe a ep or two – loving the hairdresser’s too ………….

12 brain dead dave { 06.06.12 at 12:09 pm }

Oh, if you start recapping this show,RR…I’m gonna look elsewhere! (Whine,bitch, moan) You friggin’ well recap what I tell you.

13 Georgie { 06.06.12 at 12:22 pm }

paula – I agree, I can’t watch everything I’d like to becasue there’s simply too much on. I don’t have Foxtel either, so their shows aren’t even in the equation. How anyone could manage to watch it all is beyond me and even if you recorded things, you’d never catch up with the viewing.

14 EH { 06.06.12 at 12:51 pm }

I am absolutely loving this show! Watched it last year & looking forward to tonight episode. Agreed with some of the commenters, there are way too many reality shows are going on at the moment. The Amazing Race has premiere a tad too late and a lot of us are almost overdosed with the block, MC & the voice…. Etc.

15 Rosie { 06.06.12 at 1:40 pm }

I had never watched any form of TAR before, but last week thought I’d give it a try.

And I am hooked! I really loved it. So much better than so many other reality shows out there.
I haven’t bothered with The Block this year, and am kinda relieved about that, because you just can’t watch them all. But the Aussie Amazing Race is now a “don’t miss” show for me. A fast moving, interesting show with amazing characters. What’s not to love?

16 Jason { 06.06.12 at 3:28 pm }

Love the show – love the US version – love the Aussie version, if only to see the familiar Sydney sites as they rushed around.

17 Tab { 06.06.12 at 4:11 pm }

My husband is an amazing race fanatic (he and his sister were going to apply for it, but the timing was out as we were having a baby). We are trying to watch it but it is simply on too late when he has early starts and our little one wakes up at 5am.

18 Reality Raver { 06.06.12 at 4:13 pm }

Tab – Well you have an excuse, but watch it on catch up if you can it is fantastic.

19 Andy Pandy { 06.06.12 at 5:25 pm }

I can’t really explain why I have never watched any of the Amazing Races ever, I think its because over the years I haven’t been able to fit every show in, maybe I should give it a go because I do watch Survivor and people tell me its similar. By the way, at least its on at a decent time, unlike Survivor!

20 Andy { 06.06.12 at 5:31 pm }

I dipped out somewhere between the duck embryo eating and the pig chasing. Without going back for a second look it is hard to confidently say why. Obviously in a first episode you haven’t invested in the characters so the result doesn’t keep you watching. From last series I’d say that in this format the tension within scenes often feels contrived and it can’t decide whether it is comedy or drama. To keep me watching I needed to fall in love with some characters and love to ‘hate’ some others. It clearly didn’t happen for me.

21 Sioux Denim { 06.06.12 at 6:25 pm }

Agreed all, as well as a great amount and quality of Reality shows, I still got my fave soaps – Desperate, Bikie Wars, Downton. We off to Bali on Saturday for 10 days and I have a chart to sit down on Friday night to enter all of these into my recorder!!!! :)

22 Cheryl { 06.06.12 at 6:39 pm }

I’m watching it on catchup because my son has army cadets on Wed nights and I have to leave in the middle of it to pick him up, bloody poor timing if you ask me. Do catchup viewers count towards ratings yet?

23 skye { 06.06.12 at 7:27 pm }

I’ve never been able to get into any Amazing Race series at all, they just don’t suck me in the way some other formats do. I can’t really put my finger on why, I have tried and failed to watch it!

24 KatInEurope { 06.06.12 at 7:30 pm }

We’re acquiring it via “interesting” means *cough* and watching it over here in Bavaria – it is a fantastic show and a good reminder that watching Australians being, well, Australian is just plain funny.
The pigs/police thing was hilarious, I still miss the farmers from last year, the Indigenous hair man is a hoot.
Alphaman is being lined up for a big fall, I need aura spray and as for La Cougar? 32?!!!! Only a woman with serious Botox could keep a straight enough face to come out with that one.

25 because you asked { 06.06.12 at 10:26 pm }

Running, lots of running, planes and buses and running people being rude to poor people in poverty stricken countries trying to earn a living. I watched the first ep and quite liked it, but ten minutes into this one I reached saturation point with people running and worrying about being late and running and bickering and running. I did check in and caught the cops – the cops! – running out of some poor blokes taxi without paying. Not nice.

26 PollyB { 06.06.12 at 11:00 pm }

This 2nd ep didn’t interest nearly as much as the first. However, I am now convinced Adam & Dane were in a movie I watched recently. 2 aboriginal cousins, leaving Perth for Sydney, Peter Phelps was in it.

27 mkm { 06.06.12 at 11:01 pm }

Thanks RR after reading this today I caught up on last weeks ep. And watched tonight’s episode and am hooked (and no I wasn’t paid to write that either!). Reason that I haven’t watched before is due to lack of time being a dedicated master-chefer, however losing interest quickly in MC due to constant, never ending recaps – which is the exact opposite on Amazing Race!

28 suziwong66 { 06.07.12 at 3:37 am }

Everyone in this house is well and truly captivated by the second series…the egg eating challenge had us gagging and laughing along with the contestants.

Grace, wearing the sheer head scarf, was simply stunning. She looked like an exotic beauty.

The age difference between James and Sarah is not the problem as much as the maturity disparity: she has the emotional maturity of a teenage girl in a bitchy netball team. Why he puts up with her confounds me??? And her behaviour toward the taxi driver was appalling. She’s not a cougar; she’s a feral alley cat.

29 Georgie { 06.07.12 at 9:52 am }

Bugger – I only managed to keep my eyes open for the first 10 mins of ep2. I’ll have to look out for the re-run.

Lol suziwong66 – love your descriptions of Sarah.

30 Beverly Botox { 06.07.12 at 10:01 am }

Sarah must have some exceptional talents (not assets!) that we have not seen on the show (and most likely will never see).
She would be great to have in the Big Brother house ….get ready for the return of the Turkey Slap!

31 Reality Raver { 06.07.12 at 11:01 am }

SuzieWong – Agree with Georgie love your description of Sarah.

Because You Asked, Andy and Skye – Thanks for the feedback I am a little biased about this show.

32 Arr { 06.07.12 at 11:58 am }

Posting just because of your subject: “Why aren’t you watching it?”

Well, it’s a tired idea. It’s a local adaptation of a tired, overseas series. See: Survivor, the Apprentice. The people on it aren’t interesting or unique- we saw them 10 years ago in other reality TV show formats. A show that you’re watching just so you can see arrogant ignoramuses get their comeuppance? Weren’t we done with that when Idol and Big Brother disappeared?

“Oh ho ho, the blonde beauty queens aren’t NEARLY as stupid as they look!”

There are too many contrived rules and too many contrived challenges– please, let the contestants sell their shoes, do whatever they want. By all means have a series of places that they have to check-in at along the way, but don’t make them balance a microwave oven on their head while riding a mechanical bull just to proceed. I want the focus of the show to be the travel and the logistical problems of getting from place A to place B.

Most of the “travel drama” these days consists of “oh, we missed the only plane today that flies from A to be B, I guess we’ll have to wait for the next one.” The travel connections should be counter productive– if you catch a plane, you might leave first, but you’ll have a 6 hour stopover, whereas if you caught the train the next city, then a ferry across the water, then a plane, you’ll get there ahead of time. This rarely, rarely happens.

Anyway, just my thoughts.