Masterchef Australia – The Correct Decision Was Made

For a while there it looked like Sam was not going to have many happy memories of Tassie as he has been done over all week. Firstly if it had been a “normal” Masterchef week he would have had the opportunity to cook for an immunity pin but he didn’t. Then tonight he landed in the bottom two because the format of the elimination challenge allowed for people who were strategic to avoid getting their food judged at all.

The red team were up for elimination and tonight there were three parts to it.

The first one was for the contestants to cook a steak medium rare however the twist was the first four that did not cook it perfectly would being going into the next round. So if you were strategic you could delay putting your hand up and hope every one else fell over before it was your turn. And that is what occurred the more mediocre cooks were safe.

Jules was the first one to ask for her steak to be looked at and it was judged to be fine so she was safe, however the next four Kylie, Ben, Andy and Sam were told their steaks were over done or under done.  Hence Andrew, Dalvinder, Emma and Tregan were safe without even having their steaks looked at. In fact they could have gotten through without putting one on the grill.

I note there was no mention of the fact that Dalvinder does not eat beef due to religious reasons so she was probably quite smart in not putting her hand up early.

What was a worry that there were now four stronger cooks at risk of elimination. Well perhaps not Andy, but who else can provide the gratuitous topless shots at the beginning of episodes?

The next challenge was to cook the perfect onion ring, which Kylie and Ben did.

It was then Sam and Andy duking it out to remain safe in the competition and it was a mammoth challenge.

Andy and Sam were to cook for a full restaurant at the Stanley Hotel and they would have to cook for 50 covers each. They did not have any sous cheftestants to assist them.

Andy decided to cook Slow Cooked Beef Cheeks so he would not have to do any cooking at service which was a smart move.

Sam cooked Aromatic Roasted Cray Fish this resulted in him cooking 25 crayfish he was under a lot of pressure and he admitted a few times the felt like giving up.

George Calombaris was at the pass for them, and in fact he did a great job mentoring them through the challenge,  they would have come out of it learning a lot.

“Support each other, and you will get through it?” yelled George. What was that all about, as  one of them was going to be eliminated.

The judges deemed that Andy’s dish was the best he had cooked in the competition by a country mile, and Sam’s was great as well.

For once I agree with the judges not being able to make a decision and not eliminating either of them, as it would have been unfair for both of them if their time on the show had ended tonight.

1 brain dead dave { 06.08.12 at 2:30 pm }

Hey trollhead , make your mind up how about you’re going to spell “awesome”. We deserve better trolling than the garbage you’re stumping up,fraud.

2 Georgie { 06.08.12 at 2:30 pm }

Thanks Fides – come to think of it, Audra doesn’t fit into any of those categories either.

Sorry, can’t help with the language of the tat.

3 Curious George1 { 06.08.12 at 2:34 pm }

brain dead dave whats your problem man? just chill out, i’ll spell it howevs i want. awes0m AwEsOmE, its all good dude – don take life so seriously, theres more to life than an internet blog (no offense RR)

4 Georgie { 06.08.12 at 2:45 pm }

bdd is right – it’s a troll. We’re being used for sport.

I gave this person the benefit of the doubt a few days ago and answered their question after they’d upset some other commenters on an MC thread. Strangely enough, their spelling and grammar was almost perfect that day so all this bad writing is just a ruse.

5 brain dead dave { 06.08.12 at 2:45 pm }

$purious George. There’s more to life than being a troll,too. That’s your problem. It’s a low life form to be stuck in, pal.

Get your Tasmanian nanna to bake you some scones and get over it.

6 Curious George1 { 06.08.12 at 3:00 pm }

you guys are absolutely aweful! honestly, you think your so perfect and youvee driven me out of here. i wanted nothing more then to contribute to this blog wich i read every day but your all too cought up in your own protectiv little society and cant let any1 new join in.

clearly im not welcome and to think that these are the kind of people i share interests with – making fun of my grammy and all too.

RR – great bunch of people you have on here, really nice when i cant even join in and voice my opinions. so wat if i don’t put too much emphases on my spelling??? is it reli the end of the world? clearly its too much for your sheltered little readers to bear.

enjoy your lives all of you

7 Fat Frank { 06.08.12 at 3:09 pm }

Curious George1, I don’t post on here very often – but you’ll notice there is in fact a spell check, so I’m afraid I don’t buy your defence of your poor spelling… kindly take your hate mongering and time wasting somewhere else as I for one actually read the comments, even if I don’t participate in them all too often.

8 Andy Pandy { 06.08.12 at 3:26 pm }

Curious George, I was one of the few who was prepared to give you a go as I thought you may be a little illiterate or backwards but now I can see that you are having a joke at our expense. If you were a genuine new person you would have been welcomed as I was not too long ago. I have never gushed over Andy either and would never make rude remarks as you do with some of the female contestants. No, this blog is not rocket science, its just a way of getting to know each other and enjoy discussing our favourite shows, so just respect it! Give genuine comments if you want to but don’t play us for fools please.
There seems to be a new person called Andrea (comment 16 ). I am still the original one, now known as Andy Pandy. Thank You.

9 Marie { 06.08.12 at 3:30 pm }

George was classic this episode “a kitchen should be a place of calm so HURRY HURRY HURRY!!!” I didn’t mind the format of the steak challenge, they couldn’t exactly judge who had the less correct steak: if it was wrong it was wrong. I wouldn’t have put my hand up at all that is for sure.

I am about to attempt Julia’s recipe for melting moments. I have never risked one of the contestant’s recipes before so it shows how much I like her! Guess that will change if they don’t work out though hehe.

Curious George: are you a past contestant of Masterchef who was ill treated in the comments here and back for revenge? I will enjoy my life, thank you. Same to you.

10 Andy Pandy { 06.08.12 at 3:36 pm }

Marie, maybe he’s a producer of Masterchef?

11 Fides { 06.08.12 at 3:38 pm }

Hey Marie – I’ve got a batch of Julia’s melting moments in the oven right now! I used the recipe on the MC website, but made smaller balls (20g) which was what was on the handwritten recipe she gave to Mario. This bakes for 12 min instead of 16 for the 40g ball. Good luck! My kitchen smells amazing right now…

Georgie – I suppose we could get rid of Kylie with a “never been in love” category, and Audra for either being too nice, or for her 4-limb hugging style (bit like a koala in a tree, she is)

12 Marie { 06.08.12 at 3:42 pm }

Andy Pandy – A sound notion!

Fides – Thank you! I think I will make them smaller, good suggestion. As much as I love biscuits I don’t like them sandwich sized. Enjoy them, I can’t wait for mine to be done, yum!

13 Georgie { 06.08.12 at 3:49 pm }

Fides – where do you live? I love melting moments…

I’ll amend the super cull list to include:
Have big black eyebrows
Hug like a koala
Have blonde hair
Provide gratuitous shirtless shots
Have never been in love
Have been in love

That last one should cover any stragglers!

14 Fides { 06.08.12 at 3:50 pm }

Marie – 20g for me worked out at around 1 tablespoon, though I did measure it out exactly each time. I rarely bake biscuits, so decided to channel Julia for this and was meticulous in my measurements. Yes 40g biscuit x 2, with the jam and cream filling would be quite a meal in itself …no wonder the judges loved it.

15 Wannabecook { 06.08.12 at 3:57 pm }

Fides/Marie, I also plan to make those melting moments. Let me know how they went before I buy my ingredients. The only difference is I plan to put passionfruit cream as I have a big container of passionfruit puree in my freezer.

16 Fides { 06.08.12 at 4:02 pm }

Georgie -LOL I love it – that covers it perfectly, now how to send it officially to the producers…actually fantasy MC is more fun that the show. Now excuse me while I’ll to go write an epic love story fan-fic about Kylie and Ben.

I’m in Sydney, if you’re in Sydney you can probably smell my kitchen. As I rarely bake, and never using butter except for today, I had no idea how good these smells are…what have I’ve been missing on all my life?!

17 Dunbi { 06.08.12 at 4:11 pm }

I think Debra is the only one left.

18 Fides { 06.08.12 at 4:22 pm }

Wannabecook – I’ve just tried one which is a little bent and squished so it wouldn’t look so nice on a sandwich – wow – delicious! Don’t know if I got the texture right but it is pretty crumbly. I used the ingredients as listed on the MC recipe. I also used soft icing sugar (don’t know if normal icing sugar would be OK, or it’s better using the soft one) and for custard powder, I bought the brand called “Foster Clark’s” as opposed to White Wings, just because it was the only one left and the box looked more “custardy”! Not a custard expert but it’s yummo :)

19 Wannabecook { 06.08.12 at 4:32 pm }

Thanks,Fides, can’t wait to make mine now

20 Georgie { 06.08.12 at 5:37 pm }

Dunbi, Debra was the ‘earthy’ one.

21 brain dead dave { 06.08.12 at 5:46 pm }

I love the $uper cull. Good luck to all of those making the Melting Moments-may they be better than $am $tosur’s melting moments.

Talk of custard experts reminded me immediately of Callum.

22 Fides { 06.08.12 at 6:18 pm }

Ahhh BDD, that brings back fond memories of the army challenge… now whatever happened to CWB?

My melting moments update : I’ve made the cream filling and smeared it with store-bought raspberry jam between the sandwich. They looked great, but were far too sweet! Luckily I’d only sandwiched three before I tried it. I used the rest of the unsalted butter that I had, though the recipe didn’t specify… perhaps regular butter would have been better. I don’t have a very sweet tooth, so I had to throw the mixture it was sickly sweet. So right now, there probably just gonna get eaten like shortbread not the dainty biscuit sandwiches I had in mind.

Now I want the MC Super Cull for real. I can already see the promos with Alice dressed in a kangaroo suit (as she’d be the only one willing to do it) bouncing around while MP has a rifle trained on her. Forget Finals week, who will survive MC SuperCull week?

23 LeQuit James { 06.08.12 at 6:32 pm }

First part of the challenge was ridiculous, you go to the back of the queue and wait for others to stuff up and you’re guaranteed to stay. They really need to sort that out, we want to see good cooks stay in the competition, not those who luck their way through. Great decision at the end to keep both guys though.

24 Lily { 06.08.12 at 8:42 pm }

I think I died a little inside when Ben, Sam and Andy were in the bottom…
Thank god it was a tie or I would’ve claimed to never watch Masterchef again like when Yukio didn’t get in and then cave when Jamie Oliver guest stars.

25 sarnias { 06.08.12 at 11:48 pm }

Loved series one and two, didn’t like series three, but getting into series four. RR, I must have missed the rule/policy about lusting after the twenty something guys, meh, still got a thing for young Cal from series 2.
Lmao @ georgie’s cull list.
Thought George C was great tonight with his manning of the pass. Gazza musta been having a bex and a good lie down. There will always be curries and there will always be tears, like sand through the hourglass these are the days of our masterchef lives.

26 Jess { 06.09.12 at 9:03 am }

Hm….on the MasterChef facebook page:
“Morning MasterChef Australia fans…Quick question for you all…If we asked you “which contestant – from SERIES 1 / 2009 – would you like to see again on MasterChef Australia” who would it be?”

I wonder if this means they’re looking to bring back an old MasterChef contestant…maybe to cook against for immunity?
Poh, Justine, and Chris seem to be leading the votes.

Oh, and after going back to check out shirtless Andy…I have to say, his body isn’t as nice as Hayden’s.

27 Jo { 06.09.12 at 7:34 pm }

It was a feel good ending to last weeks Masterchef…Both worked hard and weren’t eliminated. Justice does happen. Its natural. Two strong contenders cooked alone and achieved the end result. Kudos to them. The team work..and not giving up was a good lesson for me. I really enjoy this years Master chef..it has so many positivity…Its all about amateur cooks..of course they get lessons and have more knowledge about food than me(I don’t read recipe books) or into food industry.And judging by their screams they know all the famous chefs!

28 alicia { 06.10.12 at 7:31 pm }

Andy is definitely way better looking than Hayden from last year

29 Calvin { 06.11.12 at 9:28 pm }

Seriously, I also agree! I mean people who were smart wouldn’t even put their hand up because there is a high chance that 4 people ahead of you will have non-perfect steak! I found that unfair!

30 littlepetal { 06.11.12 at 9:52 pm }

Alicia-Totally agree with you. Also Andy don’t have the irritating voice of Hayden. But I think Hayden is a better cook.