Mark Holden Thinks The Voice Coaches Are ‘A Waste Of Airtime’

Mark Holden continues to lash out at Channel NINE reality programs with him taking a swipe at the very popular The Voice.

One of his criticism has been the judges for not giving a critique of the performances of the singers.

He told the Daily Telegraph:

Holden said the weakest part of The Voice was its judges, slamming Delta Goodrem, Seal, Joel Madden and Keith Urban as a “complete waste of air time”.

Holden said he couldn’t listen to the judges’ comments, which he said verged on “nauseating”.

“But, at the moment, reality TV is all about being positive and that’s obviously the directive they’ve been given by the producers,” he said.

“It doesn’t help the contestants though.

“I’d love to hear what Keith Urban really thinks about the performance. Or what Seal thinks. But we don’t get that, we get a whole lot of self-congratulatory stuff instead.”

And, added Holden, the show’s coaching panel would have to harden up and offer something more than their music credentials if the show was to work for another season.

“It’s OK now because we’re all so invested. We bought into the gimmick,” he said. “But it won’t work next time, because we all know that the gimmick of those blind auditions only last a few weeks.

“They’ll need to offer something more next time.”

The judges do have the credentials with all of them having international singing careers, not something that Mark achieved. However they have started being a bit tougher to their charges since the media backlash after the first live show.
He does go on to say the show is just like any other talent show that has been on TV. And he probably does a point saying that people don’t just vote on ‘the voice’.
He says:

“Once the gimmick – and it was a good one – of the blind auditions was over it became another stock-standard TV talent quest just like every one after Showcase, 1974.

“Whether someone succeeds in the music industry has never been about just the voice. People don’t vote for a voice. It’s just as much about someone’s performance skills and personality. It has to be. It’s not a radio show.”

However it does make me wonder why he is speaking out so publicly at the moment, the last story was a few weeks ago bagging out Dicko saying he was a fame whore.

The Voice is on tonight at 7.30pm on Channel NINE.

The Voice – Final will be Sunday night at 7.30pm, followed by the winner being announced in a show on Monday at 7.30pm.

1 Daze { 06.11.12 at 5:09 pm }

He’s a has-been and a waste of space and why are journalists even interviewing him for his comments, really, who cares about him?
I think he’s choking on a bitter-pill and no, he never made it or could stand beside homegrown Delta/Keith. The Voice will live on. It was a sensation to hit our screens and will be next time too. I wanna cuddle Joel!

2 Andy Pandy { 06.11.12 at 5:18 pm }

I liked Mark Holden back in the seventies and I thought he was a good judge on Australian Idol and I do think he knows what he’s talking about. A lot of what he’s saying is true, its not just about the voice, its looks and personality as well. The novelty of The Voice wore off for me after the blind auditions and I stopped watching it. Sorry Daze, I guess we’re all different.

3 Daze { 06.11.12 at 5:28 pm }

Of course we are Andy Pandy but I think Mark has his day and I don’t understand why he has to now, slat the Judges on the Voice, what does he hope to achieve. It just makes him sound bitter. Just saying……

4 Andy Pandy { 06.11.12 at 5:33 pm }

You’ve got a point, I guess he gives his opinion if he’s asked to comment.

5 Gidgit { 06.11.12 at 6:31 pm }

I don’t exactley remember Mr Holden being anything but ‘positive’ when he was a judge on Idol. The only honest one on that panel was Dicko. Marcia played up the soppy comments but was a rude bitch behind the scenes, and Mark wanted nothing to do with the contestants and was always kissing their arses after their performance.

6 skye { 06.11.12 at 8:06 pm }

I think he is hoping to pick up a judging spot somewhere to replace Kyle as the “tells it like it is” judge or something like that.

7 Arr { 06.11.12 at 8:15 pm }

Well, you know, no one ever promised that the Voice would be anything more than Starsearch (or whatever) with blind auditions. After all the US one has already aired on Nine’s Go! channel.

8 brain dead dave { 06.11.12 at 9:21 pm }

An old Holden blowing a lot of smoke….and throwing up mud.

9 Joseph Skyrim { 06.12.12 at 8:39 am }

I agree with the wanting to really hear what the judges are saying instead of positive stuff all the time, but I got to ask – who is Mark Holden? Is he supposed to be famous or something?

10 Andy Pandy { 06.12.12 at 8:45 am }

You must be young Joseph Skyrim! Mark Holden was popular in the seventies along with John Paul Young, Sherbet etc. he had a gimmick of throwing out flowers to all the young girls in the audience and they would all scream and swoon for him, maybe a bit like Donny Osmond if you know him.

11 Ruby { 06.12.12 at 11:34 am }

Why isn’t Mark Holden busily prepping for a case given his latest incarnation as a barrister? If he were, he would not have any time to give interviews let alone be able to watch telly. Maybe his clerk isn’t keeping him busy enough?? Great comments, Andy Pandy, but Donny Osmond is probably better than MH as he still has a music career. My nana still buys his albums. She went to his concert here only a few years ago and all the mums and nanas were trying to drag him off stage and were screaming and swooning to Puppy Love. I had to take her – hilarious to see my nana still knew all the words to the songs, but can’t remember her own grandkids’ names. Thank god she kept her bloomers on. If only MH had that kind of star power :)

12 nanaliz { 06.12.12 at 11:56 am }

‘Has-been Holden’ strikes again. Between barristering and selling osteoporosis drugs he has had his 15 secs of fame. Didn’t like him when he pranced in his white suit and have disliked him as a judge on Idol – just nasty and bitter. Yes it’s sad I was a teenager when he ponced around on stage.

13 Ruby { 06.12.12 at 12:16 pm }

Nanaliz just made me laugh. I forgot all about the osteo ads. That’s how much of an impact he has on the public. Years ago he ruined the Elwood Primary School fete when he got out his guitar and gave an impromptu performance. Everyone decided that it really was time to leave and an early evening was had by all.

14 Rubinholden { 02.26.13 at 2:36 pm }

Poor old man, Mark Holden.
What’s really nauseating is Mark’s touchdown- how very unAustralian.
A hypocrite. What did he do in the Idol anyway. Superficial comments. If you ask me, there are lots of Aussie artists who could do better than him judging. Now he has the internal organs to comment on the Voice coaches. He will never measure up to these people. They are superstars and Mark is…… A pathetic osteoporotic sour graping ex something. Really poor sad thing. Rhonda is more popular and famous than him. Thank goodness I’m not related to him.