The Voice Australia – The Final Four – Who Do You Want To Win?

Well the $60 million question is did the four best voices make it into the competition? Probably not but that is the format of The Voice where allegedly the best singer from each team goes into the final. However I think a couple of the Coaches put in the person they thought could win rather than the best singer.

However before they sorted the final four they had to sort out the final eight.

In Team Joel Sarah De Bono had the highest public vote so was safe, and Joel chose Ben Hazelwood over Lakyn Heperi and Prinnie.

On Team Keith Darren Percival pulling in the over thirty female vote was safe, and Keith picked Diana Rouvas over Brittany Cairns and Adam Martin.

Then it was the top eight having to sing for their place in the top four which would be chosen by their coach.

I would have liked to have seen more contemporary song choices for some of the singers particularly for Fatai V, and Glen Cunningham. Fatai sang On The Radio by Donna Summer and Glen performed Heaven by Bryan Adams complete with his own backing singers.

Also Diana Rouvas sang Stormy Monday well complete with amazing high notes, but would have liked to have seen her move outside the jazz crooner lane. I note that Keith Urban basically said to her it is not just about the voice and personality now comes into play.

Poor Ben Hazelwood was either one of the many contestants with the flu as he did not hit a high note on his song, My Kind Of Love.

After the top eight performed the Coaches then had to select who they were taking through to the final four. Delta Goodrem was in a pickle, because if she picked her backing singer Glenn there would be cries of favourtism, but he does not have a chance of winning on the public vote. Rachael Leahcar does and she had a good song choice for her voice with Nights In White Satin tonight. She also did what Anthony Callea did when he sang half of The Prayer in Italian and labelled himself a contender on Australian Idol.

Delta Goodrem picked Rachael and she is her best chance of winning and quite a good one as she has been the public choice each time. However I will query whether her votes would be that high if it was only judged on ‘the voice’? But then she has a lot of disadvantages so she should use that to her advantage.

Joel’s choice could have been hard until Ben tanked but it was a no brainer to go with Sarah De Bono.

Keith Urban had a tough decision but he went with Darren Percival for the same reason as Delta he is more popular with the voters. However Diana did give the better performance tonight.

And finally to Seal who had wept in Karise’s song and you knew that was who he was going to select her.  Fatai who has not sung a bum note in the competition was eliminated.

What did surprise me tonight was that voting opened for the winner. I was under the impression it opened next Sunday night, as it would appear this week’s NW Mag was as well. Which makes it interesting as people will be voting on tonight and next Sunday’s performances.

Personally I think the public should only be voting on the next performance, as at the moment it is all about voting for their favourite. Also I note that Karise Eden scored the lucky last singing spot tonight and this nearly always gives a boost in numbers. Is this the person they want to win the first series of The Voice?

By the way did anyone pick up host Darren McCullum swearing, I missed it but News.com.au are reporting that he did and that Channel NINE are fed up with him and want to replace him with Andrew G.

1 joan { 06.12.12 at 7:58 am }

Karise will win easily already Number 1 on itunes, Darren is coming in #23.

2 Joseph Skyrim { 06.12.12 at 8:37 am }

Wait so Itunes count as voting? Even if you downloaded the track prior to the final 4 being announced?

I still want Percival to win but I think he will be coming in 3rd place ahead of only Sarah.

3 EH { 06.12.12 at 9:55 am }

No doubt Karise will win. She tops itune chart right now at #1, far ahead of everybody else. a little disappointed about the judges decisions last night. Not the best voices or performances went through to top 4.

My two favourites are Kerise & Diana. Knowing Keith won’t choose Diana due to her popularity to get votes, I hope she will go on to have a great singing career.

On a side note, we have seen more talents & memorable performanadss on one season of The Voice than the many seasons of the Australian Idol.

4 EH { 06.12.12 at 9:58 am }

Joseph – I think only the purchase of songs that the final 4 sang last night will be counted as 2 votes.

5 Darryl { 06.12.12 at 10:13 am }

If Rachael wins, we riot

6 Chunks { 06.12.12 at 11:15 am }

They obviously intend for Karise to win but Sarah is the one more likely to enjoy a career out of this. Both of Delta’s contestants should have been eliminated leaving room for Fatai. Shame that wasn’t in the rules. Is there no tune that Darren Percival cannot deconstruct to oblivion? If he’d hummed it I would have thought it was the same song he’s performed every week because the melody certainly bore no resemblance to ‘A Song for You’.

7 Ruby { 06.12.12 at 11:50 am }

If Karise wins, I hope she doesn’t end up doing a Casey Donovan. Don’t get me wrong, they are both good singers, just wonder if she can handle the industry unlike Donovan?
Is Mr Percival the new Altiyan? The 30+ females seem to be going ape over him :) I don’t think he has a fork lift licence onto which to fall back.
Rachael tortured Nights in White Satin. My mum still loved it – awwww:) Give me Fatai any day. She should have a great future. But hey, let’s celebrate that Lakyn didn’t reach the finals. Who will the teens flock to now?

8 brain dead dave { 06.12.12 at 1:17 pm }

Go Rachael. Only contestant not turning themselves inside out to sound American.

Darren Percival- another destroyed melody delivered by one looking in the depths of constipation.

Karise- Hallelujah when that finished.Unique voice-like a lawnmower.

Diana -easily the worst cover of Stormy Monday I have ever heard.

9 Adi { 06.12.12 at 1:29 pm }

How did the singers from Joel and Keith’s teams practise their songs for last night given that they didn’t know who was going through (supposedly)? Did Lakyn, Prinnie etc also practise songs in case they got through or did the semi-finalists know they were getting through in advance?

10 Mel { 06.12.12 at 1:52 pm }

For mine, Karise is just such a clear and obvious standout. She has an authenticity about her singing that sets her apart from the others. And she has a rare natural quality when it comes to lyrical interpretation that makes the other contestants seem ‘forced’. She also would seem most likely to sustain a career with her ‘own’ music rather than the relentless tide of covers that reality show contestants come out with.

Honestly, in terms of ‘winning’ and tactics, I think Keith had to chose Darren over Diana because he provides a point of difference against three females with big voices, something Diana doesn’t offer.

Ruby – sorry, you lost me when you compared Darren Percival to Altiyan Childs. That’s just plain bizarre. And anyone carrying a little extra weight is not instantly a ‘Casey Donovan’.

11 Daze { 06.12.12 at 2:11 pm }

I don’t mind Darren as a host and going by the news.com link above, I hope Johnny Farnham stays on the farm and doesn’t grace us in any shape or form. He’s had over 20/30 years of fame, move over.

The Final 4 were almost predictable and I must say I enjoyed Glenn’s performance last night, for the first time ever. I’m sad Fatai didn’t make it – such a hard choice with her and Karise. Love them both and hope they go on after The Voice. Will miss Joel – always so entertaining, he and his toothpick. I mute when Delta fluffs on and on, altho I enjoy her singing and admire her dedication to her team.

12 Mel { 06.12.12 at 2:51 pm }

If John Farnham signed on to the Voice it’d be the absolute last time I watch the show.

13 brain dead dave { 06.12.12 at 3:02 pm }

Just can’t see one of those chairs being able to spin around with Jack Farnham in it. Take the pressure down.

14 Mel { 06.12.12 at 4:53 pm }

I knew I could rely on you for a fabulously pithy response, BDD. Nice.

15 HJE { 06.12.12 at 4:55 pm }

I was very disappointed with Delta’s choice, I thought Glenn was a whole lot better than Rachael. I know she was sick, but the judges always say that it’s about the performance on the night and whether she was sick or not, Glenn was better. I only became a fan of Glenn last week as he’s stepped up, but I definitely thought he gave a stronger performance.
I was sad to see Ben go, as well as Lakyn.
I’m hoping Karise wins, she seems so genuine and has a lot of talent. She has a different sound that isn’t just mainstream pop and I think Australia needs more of that.

16 smauge { 06.12.12 at 9:16 pm }

I’m with you Darryl. Leahcar rachaeL is unlistenable. I’m going for Darren, as I have since his audition.

17 brain dead dave { 06.12.12 at 9:36 pm }

I thought that was Darren singing A Bong For You….

18 BarbM { 06.14.12 at 9:59 am }

I would hate to decide on the 4 remaining artists as they are all good in their own right.
But to choose…mmm….I think Darren has a wider impact as he sings and makes you feel as though he is singing to you, even in a room with a 1,000 others. Any artist that can connect that way has a true gift.
Karise also with her raw soulful voice has captured my attention. It is likely to a close call between these 2.

Another point if anyone has noticed…the mentors seem to pick songs that isn’t in their range or calibre and therefore lead them to fail when on air. What is the matter with these judges? Why not stick to what they can sing and what their ranges can accommodate, rather than choosing something that they like, it isn’t about them it is about the contestant.

On 2 final notes though, good for Darren and Rachael to continue singing being so ill. They are both worthy to be where they are.
And also, although its another dreaded reality show, it has a little more class in as much the mentors/judges aren’t verbally abusive to the contestants. Hate that, people are scared enough coming on the show and are affected by nerves, and to have a judge plough over you isn’t in good taste, whether they are good or not. Be a little respectful judges on other shows, and you might find people wont turn off.

19 Meg { 06.16.12 at 5:52 pm }

Strange how the judge’s choice was the same as those who got through on the public vote. I suppose it ensures the best outcome for a win.
Ruby, if Karise does a ‘Casey Donovan’ she’ll do just fine as Casey’s career is thriving.

20 wendy lawrence { 04.02.13 at 8:14 am }

Farnham by far. No DOUBT!!!

21 wendy lawrence { 04.02.13 at 8:18 am }

John farnham by far. He is THE VOICE. It is amazingly brilliant!!