Being Lara Bingle – The Problem With Lara It Just Did Not Appear Real

It is ironic that Lara in her first episode of Being Lara Bingle moaned about the fact she does not get any privacy when she is doing a reality TV show.

Not that there is a problem with her doing a reality program as she creates a lot of chatter, and she should try and harness this for her own benefit. However Being Lara Bingle is just not that entertaining.

For celebrity/semi scripted to be good, it is dependent on casting, plot line and viewers need to feel they are getting to see something “real”, and there were problems with all three aspects of this show.

The premise of the show as Lara would move into a fabulous Bondi apartment with her BFF/Manager and her brother Josh.

The problem is the three could barely hold a conversation together. So a lot of time it was Lara talking to camera.

The most natural scene and therefore most entertaining part of the show was when the three flatmates and Lara’s mother were eating dinner the first night in their new pad. By the way Lara’s mum was a  cracker.

Lara Bingle tweeted last night about how funny her brother Josh is but he just seems like a dolt not particularly bright nor witty. At twenty eight he is now taking a break from living at home from his mother to be a part of this show.  A part from the tricked up will there or won’t be a romance between him and Lara’s BFF I am not sure he is going to add anything to the show.

Hermione Underwood appears to have more brains then both combined but spends most of her time looking at Lara with disbelief.

One of the major “events” in the first 30 minute episode was the Lara Bingle nude shot scandal. Lara lies on the bed with Hermione moans about her lack of privacy and about how voluptuous she is. Considering she was meant to be pissed off about it, why didn’t she ring the photographer, who she is partners in a restaurant with, and yell at him about invading her privacy. That would have been a more entertaining scene.

It would be great if Lara did show any emotion as it is hard to know what Lara is thinking, as she has a stock standard response to most things which is to keep on smiling. It is a nice smile and to be fair you can tell she is still grieving for her father who passed away a few years ago.

The other problem for the show is the audience is sceptical about what is real and what is not so we are always second guessing it. In particular the scene where she was pulled over by the police, she blamed her car for garnering this attention when she was in fact driving in the bus lane.

Did the paps just happen to be following her or did they know she was going to be pulled over? Also again it was hard to be sympathetic when she found out she was driving on a suspended license.

This of course meant Lara had to be driven around by friends, not get public transport or taxi’s like the rest of us.

But then like getting free clothes maybe friends dropping everything for you is just “another perk of her job”. The mystery being what is her actual job. Maybe if she actually had one the show would have been far more interesting.

The “real” Lara seems like a pleasant enough girl, but she just did not make me care enough about her,  and I suspect this will be what will stop viewers tuning in.

After watching Lara I viewed an episode of Bethenny Ever After to see how good this niche genre of reality TV can be and there was a show with an interesting protagonist, cracking wit, plot line with a feel of some authenticity. If Lara wants her job to be a reality TV star maybe she should watch this show and take some notes.

Being Lara Bingle can be seen on Network TEN Tuesday’s at 8.00pm.

Bethenny Ever After Series 3 on Arena TV Tuesday nights at 8.30pm

1 Bolders { 06.13.12 at 9:56 am }

You know I was actually hoping this girl would catch a break from the usually bullying she gets from some media commentators (read gossip hags) and the ads seemed to show a person who had a self deprecating humour BUT – from last night’s show she comes across as a boring nit wit.
I dont think we need ot follow the US’ version of reality TV (hello the Kardishian hell that is TV now) I just think that she’s not made for TV as she doesnt seem to have a meaningful insight into her life. She’s a beautiful girl that takes beautiful photos and I dont think she should be bullied for it or her dating history but a half hour show on prime time about her driving without a licence? No.

2 Mia { 06.13.12 at 10:02 am }

I think we all know the purpose of this show is to try to win the public over and ‘rebrand’ Lara as some kind of loveable-but-misunderstood girl. Unfortunately, the whole thing is so obviously constrived and devoid of realism that it effectively makes her look even more fake and vacuous, and thus, does nothing to change people’s opinion of her.

Bottom line is, it doesn’t matter how hard you try to polish a turd – at the end of the day, it’s still a turd.

3 brain dead dave { 06.13.12 at 10:44 am }

You can’t teach a turd to wash it’s own clothes either. Her mother is a fool to do that for her.

4 Reality Raver { 06.13.12 at 10:44 am }

It rated fabulously – with 925,000 viewers which indicates people are fascinated by her life.

Bolders – The problem is she just made me feel neutral neither likeable nor unlikeable. Which I thought was a problem.

Mia – Kim Kardashian’s life is probably just as vacuous but somehow it works. And maybe you are right Lara’s job is being a brand!

5 Chunks { 06.13.12 at 10:57 am }

Didn’t make top 10 though RR. I think you’ll find that a lot of viewers were guys hoping to see some boobs. And given that it failed to make top 10 on launch night, I predict that we’ll see plenty of boobs in the news in coming weeks as Lara desperately tries to whip up interest, all the while complaining that the media are invading her “privacy”. Looking forward to the news that Lara is being banished to the 10.30 slot to compete with Big Brother Up Late, where she belongs.

6 Mel Brand { 06.13.12 at 11:09 am }

Well written blog – I just read that Modern Family had 100 thousand more viewers last week. Whoops.

7 brain dead dave { 06.13.12 at 11:17 am }

The two foxes in Modern Family wipe the floor with Lara when it comes to looks.

Agreed Chunks, a lot of viewers have gone in for the gawk and only got pixellated pups.

On the upside,I don’t think anyone cried on BLB last night….that’s a miracle for reality TV thesedays.

8 Reality Raver { 06.13.12 at 11:19 am }

I think it is amazing it rated above 500, 000 and that would be still considered a great figure for it.

Chunks – rumours are circulating that BB uplate may not be that saucy.

9 Ruby { 06.13.12 at 11:48 am }

It was boring and I won’t be back next week. I thought I’d give it a go, but…..when will the Edelsten show start? At least, she seems to have a modicum of personality, even though you know it will be the gospel according to the fake doctor.

10 Andy Pandy { 06.13.12 at 11:54 am }

Got bored with it after five minutes, what a spoilt girl she is!

11 Gillian { 06.13.12 at 12:24 pm }

I must admit I have a soft spot for Lara Bingle. She has done some really stupid things in her time but who hasn’t it? My worry is that she doesn’t seem to learn from her mistakes but what I’ve noticed is that despite all her bad press, she doesn’t seem to have a bad word to say about anyone.

However, I think she should stick to what she does best and that is modelling. I think she takes the most breathtaking photos. I wish she would be given more credit for that and that magazine editors would be able to look beyond her personal life.

12 brain dead dave { 06.13.12 at 12:33 pm }

Can’t speak for the other cities,however , it’s estimated that there are 30,000 people driving around Adelaide that either don’t have licences or can’t be bothered paying to keep one current.

At least Lara had a licence ,albeit suspended.

13 EH { 06.13.12 at 12:49 pm }

I am gobsmacked that this show rated better than The Amazing Race!

14 Reality Raver { 06.13.12 at 1:11 pm }

EH – My God you are right. That is so not fair.

15 Paul { 06.13.12 at 1:13 pm }

Hi RR,
900k is just average for a debut show with a good lead in. Figures can only really go down from here on in and 900k is not a good starting point for an 8pm slot.

Highly unlikely that it will pull more than 750k next week.

16 Alana { 06.13.12 at 2:09 pm }

Even though I groaned at the idea of Lara having her own reality show, I did tune in last night, just out of curiosity, which I’m sure was the case with many viewers. Needless to say, my original judgements proved correct, and not only is she incredibly vapid, but she’s also not charasmatic in the least, and frankly, boring. I doubt the viewers will be as high next week and it will eventually be cancelled.

17 Roseanna { 06.13.12 at 4:39 pm }

I could never understand (and still can’t) why anyone cares about this girl. But I have nothing against her personally and was curious to see what Ch10 were going to do with the show.

Wow. Was i bored. Never has a show made me more apathetic. I literally caught myself making a grocery list in my head 8 minutes in. After 20 minutes I switched off.

I have no idea what she does. How she fills her time. Where her money comes from and why people are even friends with her. And the show gave ZERO insight. She seems sweet enough for a simple lass.

But I won’t be watching again.

18 Anonymous { 06.14.12 at 11:37 am }

Sweet, vacuous, pretty in that even-faced way, and incredibly entitled. Her wrung-out looking mother gives a hint of Lara’s genetic future, though. Could not get over Lara’s giant super-white teeth, they looked like someone had stuck a couple of packs of chewing gum into her gums.