Masterchef Australia – The Shangri-La Hotel Challenge – If There Is A Hex On The Aprons Why Not Change Colours

It was an epic episode and challenge tonight on Masterchef Australia with the teams battling it out in a 24 hour challenge at the Shangri-La Hotel.

The two teams were having to cook for the 200 staff and for some of the 500 customers.

But first the judges had to go to the Masterchef Australia house and wake up the contestants and select the teams. I note this year they did not run around into their rooms to get them up. However George Calombaris could not resist saying when Jules, Julia and Kylie came into the room “Very cute pyjamas”.

Kudos to whoever thought up the team picking format as it did reveal what some contestants thought of the others cooking abilities.

Jules as the person with the highest score in the Jamie Oliver challenge got to pick what colour team she was in, and she picked blue of course as they all buy into the curse of the red team. Maybe they need to get someone in to do an exorcism over the red team aprons.

She then had to pull out a wooden spoon with a name on it and decide whether to keep them on her team or flick them to the red team. The next person would then pull out a wooden spoon and do the same.

Jules pulled out Alice and kept her on the blue, Alice pulled out Emma and sent her to the red team. Alice’s excuse was a beauty, she said the challenge was “about stamina and maturity”.

Emma sent Andrew to the blue team. Andrew kept Andy on the blue as he did with Mindy. Mindy picked Beau and then Beau picked Ben and then Audra filled out the blue team.

The teams then broke into mini teams to cover the three shifts in the hotel. They were to be oversighted by the hotel’s Executive Chef Steve Krasicki. Now this guy needs his own show. He was a likeable and better looking version of Gordon Ramsay but also tough and he was letting nothing shoddy get past him. Also clearly he has a lot of stamina as he appeared to be their the whole challenge. Not sure how safe that would be with knives, oil and burners but he got through it unscathed.

The first shift was to make lunch for the staff of 200. The blue team had sent in their alpha males to kick things off. Beau was making Spaghetti Bolagnaise, Ben was making a Thai Red Curry, and Andy a Greek Salad.

The red team had Julia, Kylie and Sam to start, with Julia cooking a Vegetable Curry, Kylie a pasta salad, and Sam a chilli marinara.

It was interesting the red team sent in the two dessert queens together, however they probably knew the format of the whole challenge and decided it did not matter.

George queried that Kylie was going to dish up a cold pasta salad, because that is apparently one of the biggest culinary mistakes ever. So she switched to a warm dish, and also made a Wombok Salad.

There were the usual difficulties as you would expect, Julia’s curry was not cooking, Sam burnt his first batch of chilli tomato sauce and Matt Preston was ticked off that at one stage there was no blue team at the bain marie serving.

The consensus was that Ben’s curry was pretty darn good, but there was no rest for him or the others, however there was no rest for the wicked as they then had an hour to make canapes for a fashion function.

Ben and Andy were first out with theirs and were well surprised at the clientele they were serving. In fact if the people at the function had to vote the blue team would have definitely won.

The evening service shift had to send out meals for Cafe Mix and room service. It was just as well the teams had changes, because if  Ben and Andy did deliver to the hen’s night being held in one of the suites or they would have never got out of there alive.

Energiser bunny chef Steve told Tregan “Do you like being yelled at?” as she tried to cover up a very burnt burger bun, not sure how she thought she was going to get away with that.

Mindy had to wheel a large food order up to the Presidential Suite and there was Matt Preston.

But where was the food?

I was told that the food could be underneath as there is a warming tray to keep the dishes warm. However it must not have been doing a very good job as apparently their meal arrived cold. Also earlier Tregan and brought up a whole stack of dishes balanced on top of the trolley. But who knows? Hell why let a conspiracy theory get in the way of a possible explanation.

Matt Preston who was dressed in a lounge coat complete with black cravat told her to get out of the room before things got ugly. I presume it was him trying to eat through four room service dishes.

The next shift was breakfast, and there was a lot of prep. Sixty dozen eggs were cracked just by Alice alone. Mario set up 12 trays of bacon, and Wade was cooking sausages in bulk. Andrew was trying to dish up soggy hash browns but the chef told him to do them again.

At judgement time Mario was told his bacon was overcooked and his omelettes a disaster. Conversely Alice’s were cooked perfectly and Matt Moran liked how she spoke to the customers.

It was no surprise the winner of breakfast was blue team, dinner service was red team and winner of lunch shift was the blue team.

The blue team will receive a private masterclass with Neil Perry, and lunch at Rockpool. And the red team, well the curse continued and one of them will be eliminated tomorrow night.

1 sue N { 06.16.12 at 3:47 pm }

RR- I am being being brave and posting…

do you happen to have any spoiler details from the Block ep for 2moro nite??? even if you PM me with it- would love to know in advance, even if it does spoil my anticipation for 2moro night… 😉

2 Reality Raver { 06.16.12 at 3:59 pm }

Sue N – No I don’t have any spoilers for it. Have they taken the ep down?

3 EH { 06.16.12 at 4:05 pm }

Andy Pandy – As you said, “I do love this blog and enjoy reading everyone’s opinions whether I agree or not.”

This is exactly the same reason why we are all here. I have to admit I don’t interact much with other commenters except occasional questions & answers but I do enjoy reading all comments especially yours and I contribute with voicing my opinions about the shows I like.

It was never my intention to start the mess and got anyone of you involved. Now. It is 4pm on a rainy Saturday, the perfect timing for wino and a few CANAPÉS :) and move on from this saga. I sincerely hope to see you around.

RR – Question about TAR. Why didn’t they have road block last week and then there wasn’t a DeTour this week? Cost cutting with less challenges?

4 sue N { 06.16.12 at 4:11 pm }

RR- it would appear so… :(

EH- I will never look at CANAPES the same way again… 😉
(p.s. sorry…again )

5 Daze { 06.16.12 at 4:11 pm }

sue N & RR; had a look at Ch.9 and website ‘down for maintenance’ ha ha ha (someone is going to have a sore tushy, whoever was responsible)

6 Reality Raver { 06.16.12 at 4:11 pm }

EH – I am just subbing Amazing Race recap now and I thought there were two Roadblocks, the driving one, and the stair temple thing. By the way I just watched a new show Cupcake Wars starts Mon 2 July and it is great. Fab to watch with young kids but also has more tension and drama than a Being Lara Bingle episode. A cooking show that I think could work in an Australian format.

7 Reality Raver { 06.16.12 at 4:12 pm }

EH – I should add I was thinking of you as I was watching you.

8 sue N { 06.16.12 at 4:30 pm }

Daze- damskies, shall now have to be patient….poop 😉

9 EH { 06.16.12 at 4:31 pm }

Haha! Thanks for thinking of me. Looking forward to the show. I am too busy dividing my time between Oz & Europe with hubby’s new job, let alone have time for anything else (blogging & tweeting) but I always find time to watch my favourite RTV show and reading your blog (my guilty pleasure)!

10 littlepetal { 06.16.12 at 4:56 pm }

So happy we are all one big happy family again :)

11 brain dead dave { 06.16.12 at 5:06 pm }

The Milats said that ,too.

12 Another Adelaide bogan { 06.16.12 at 5:12 pm }

BDD just tells it like it is according to his mate Georgie.
No he isn’t.
He is only on here trying to be funny at the expense of other people.
If anyone directs even the mildest form of constructive criticism towards RR he jumps on it with some nasty comments.
For a moment I hoped that he made his first ever serious comment on here when he said he would stop posting on this site.

13 Daze { 06.16.12 at 5:13 pm }

lol, bdd.

Yes, littlepetal me two and three! yay –

14 brain dead dave { 06.16.12 at 5:32 pm }

Troll#111

Heard it all before from you, troll. Same $hit- different screen name.

15 Georgie { 06.16.12 at 5:46 pm }

Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing the RR community is bringing a little enjoyment and entertainment into someone’s otherwise barren life. This blog ticks a lot of positive boxes for sure – well done everyone!

16 brain dead dave { 06.16.12 at 5:59 pm }

It’s you and me against the world ,Georgie. Tramps like us,baby we were born to pun.

That troll’s life would make a damn good country song.

17 Georgie { 06.16.12 at 6:11 pm }

You’re right yet again bdd. Some level of humour needs to be maintained in the midst of all this serious RTV shite. It’s a tough job but someone has to do it.

18 brain dead dave { 06.16.12 at 6:23 pm }

It’s a dirty job- like maintaining Jowl$y’s septic tank -but someone’s got to dig deep.

19 smauge { 06.16.12 at 7:23 pm }

Wait wait wait wait wait!! A cupcake show? I need more info on that!

20 EH { 06.16.12 at 8:15 pm }
21 Reality Raver { 06.16.12 at 8:24 pm }

Smauge – Do you have Foxtel? It is starting on Lifestyle Food on Monday 2 July. It was really enjoyable.

22 smauge { 06.16.12 at 8:44 pm }

No Foxtel RR. I’m sure Gem will show it eventually! Thanks for the link EH.

23 brain dead dave { 06.16.12 at 11:10 pm }

No Foxtel for me either but just now I’ve got my TV g/f Marg Helgenberger on Gem.

24 sue N { 06.17.12 at 7:20 am }

foxtel has been my saviour since enforced retirement- fashion, cooking shows, and house styling…love it… :) also now watch far too much TV tho-oops !

I have now added cupcake wars to my recording schedule. I record everything so I can ff thru ads and cr@p !! 😉