Photo Finish – High End Reality TV Starts On ABC TV Thursday Nights at 8.00pm

Reality TV is a broad genre, at one end of the spectrum you can have shows like Being Lara Bingle, and Beauty and The Geek to shows that showcase phenomenal talent both of amateurs and professionals.

Photo Finish which starts tonight on ABC TV is a high end a competitive reality TV show with the subject being photography. It involves amateur photographers that compete each week in a challenge that showcases a different type of photography style each week.

The show is hosted by the affable Andrew Gunsberg, formerly known as Andrew G, who is an avid amateur photographer himself and very knowledgeable on the topic.

The other judges are Curator from the Museum of Contemporary Art, Anne Loxley, and a different guest judge each thirty minute episode who is an expert in the challenge style.

A good reality show  should entertain, have an interesting cast who have talent, create chatter, have some tension, impart information, be fast paced, and have a good prize.

Photo Finish ticks all those boxes. Well almost all it does not have a big prize except for the kudos of winning the challenge, after all it is the ABC!

Each week three new contestants who are thrown into the deep end, and they range from mums at home, to people who may have a background in the Arts but are not professional photographers.

The first episode tonight the three contestants have to photograph a portrait and to make it all the more daunting they have to shoot famous people, actor Vince Colosimo, business man Dick Smith and performer Christa Hughes. It is worth watching just to seen stay at home mum wrangling Vince.

The guest judge Gary Heery is made for reality TV and it is a pity this will be the only episode we will see him on.

The following weeks episode sees three new contestant’s go to Tasmania to shoot a landscape photograph.

If you liked Work Of Art that was on Studio or just like uncontrived reality TV this is the show for you.

Photo Finish starts on ABC tonight at 8.00pm and will screen every Thursday night at 8.00pm.

1 Mia { 06.14.12 at 10:43 am }

It’ll be great to see Andrew G back on our screens. I was always big fan of his work on Idol. I’ve really been looking forward to this show. And no interruptions with ad breakss! Goos to see the ABC embracing quality reality TV.

2 Andy Pandy { 06.14.12 at 12:31 pm }

This might be worth looking at, I will give it a go.

3 Georgie { 06.14.12 at 8:06 pm }

Shooting a landscape in Tassie – it wasn’t a photo of Jowlsy was it?

4 Marie { 06.14.12 at 10:28 pm }

Ooh, intriguing! Glad you mentioned this show RR, I would not have noticed it otherwise. I am excitedly loading it on iview right now. :)

5 Reality Raver { 06.14.12 at 10:42 pm }

Marie, Mia and Andy Pandy – Tell me what you think of it. I really liked it and found it interesting.

Georgie – no LOL far more scenic.

6 Marie { 06.15.12 at 12:03 am }

I liked it! I almost felt like the contestants could have benefited from a wee bit more guidance. It is a fine line between stifling their creativity and helping them but considering the equipment was new as well as the experience, having someone with them who could help with the technology at least might have been nice.

The results were really good! The right person won in my opinion. It is lucky they all had really helpful celebrities. It was also a nice change of pace from the superficial drama and contrived editing of Masterchef haha. I will keep watching!

7 George { 06.15.12 at 9:21 am }

Very disappointing show. Fails miserably on education, entertainment and art

8 Reality Raver { 06.15.12 at 9:35 am }

George – That is no good. I don’t know much about photography nor those new fangled cameras so found it interesting and fairly fast paced.

9 Mia { 06.15.12 at 1:34 pm }

I really enjoyed it. I was feeling anxious for the woman shooting Vince Colossimo – poor thing was so intimidated. He was lovely though, and I really liked the photo she presented in the end.
The right person won out of the 3 photos.

I liked the judges’ critiques. I think they gave good feedback as to why the photos worked or didn’t.

I’m so jealous of people who can take great pictures, so I enjoyed picking up tips on lighting, positioning/composition, etc.

I’ll definitely keep watching.

10 Andy Pandy { 06.17.12 at 3:34 pm }

It was okay RR but could have been done better, maybe more well known personalities. I know Dick Smith and Vince Colossimo but not that woman. it needs to be a bit more interesting to keep us involved and entertained. Good try though, something different.

11 Beck { 06.20.12 at 10:51 pm }

Can someone let me know if this is available to watch online? I’m very interested and I have no way of watching it at the time it’s on due to a committment. Thanks! Also, when did it start?

12 Reality Raver { 06.20.12 at 10:58 pm }

Beck – you can watch it on ABC iview here http://www.abc.net.au/tv/guide/abc1/201206/programs/AC1141H001D2012-06-14T200041.htm

Andy Pandy – it is niche so not for everyone. I just loved learning different things and seeing the creativity.

Mia – Glad you liked it – vince would have been the worst to work with but his face is photogenic