Masterchef Australia – Finally Mario’s Food Gets Some Screen Time

“Team elimination suck, cos if I go home on the back of a team challenge it does not feel right. I can deal with my own individual failures .. if they put me in the limb, but I guess it just the way the cookie crumbles.” moans Tregan obviously repressing the incident of the burnt burger bun in the Shangri La Hotel challenge. Ok her shift did win but that was more because the blue team served cold room service food to Matt Preston.

However Mario was looking at the elimination as a positive thing saying “Every time I go into the kitchen it is a chance for me to show I am worthy of a place here”. However when he heard what the challenge was he exclaimed “20 minutes I struggle with an hour!”

Tonight’s elimination was a good one. Not just because it was fast paced, but the viewer at home was thinking what the hell would I cook if I was in this situation.

The first challenge was to make any dish using ingredients from the pantry but it must be completed in 20 minutes.

Mario decided to make a carbonara in 20 minutes. George when judging asked did you make your own pasta? Maybe George needs to realise that one of the sponsors of the show is Barilla. Also who can make pasta that fast. OK maybe Jamie Oliver can.

Or maybe Amina can as her knife skills are fast. Maybe she was smart and when she knew she was on Masterchef she went and got some lessons on how to chop. Amina was making a Korean twist on Teriyaki Salmon with Noodles.

Filippo made his take on Salt and Pepper Squid, the judges found a beak on the squid and he was criticised for that, but the flavours were good.

Kylie making a chicken saltimbocca  a white bean puree and roasted tomatoes Gary said he could eat the lot.

Deb did baked flathead and she was told by George ” the flavours are there.” Debra does a lot of rustic cooking and she does it well. Apart from the yum cha challenge she has barely skipped a beat.

Julia made Vegetable Tom Kha which looked brown. Matt Preston said “it just doesn’t work for me”.

Tregan made Maltese Froga which looked like a potato rosti Gary did not like the presentation. At least she didn’t dish up a pastizzi.

Sam cooked a tasting place of white fish (flathead) and it was neither praised nor panned.

Emma made Cucumber gazpacho, the judges said it tasted good however there was a hair in it. She broke down sobbing, because that is what she does. Thankfully she has dark hair because if it had been Tregan I would have wondered where it had come from. But seriously of course there will be hair as no one but Amina has a cap on.

Kylie, Filippo, Debra and Amina were told they were safe.

Mario was not happy and said he thought Filippo should not have got through with a beak in his squid.

Meanwhile the blue team were at Rockpool with Neil Perry whose pony tail is longer then ever. In fact Alice called it when she said Neil Perry the Steven Segal of cooking. Was it because of his hair or the chopping skills?

The next challenge for Emma, Sam, Julia, Tregan and Mario was to make a dish in ten minutes. George thought they should do a salad. He was very sceptical that Sam could get his lamb chops done in that time. However he did.

Mario is doing thai salad with shredded egg, which did not look really Thai at all.

Tregan made Sauted Mushroom On Crostini which the judges loved.

George helpfully told Julia that her caramel for her french toast was close to burning. However the judges thought there was not enough calories in the dish and told her she should have rolled it in cinnamon and sugar.

When it came to Mario’s turn to being judged he gave his opinion about Filippo getting through. Points to Mario for querying the judges but seriously did he think if they had not picked Filippo he would be next person safe?

Emma made a very nice looking squid with gremolata. She may be emotional but she does have talent for a 19 year old.

Tregan was first to be safe, as was Emma and Sam.

Finally Mario and Julia were going head to head having to cook a dish in five minutes. This was great as we just about got to see the whole challenge.

Marion made a prosciutto and pear salad with a red wine and honey vinaigrette.The judges said this was far better than what he had put up previously, but Julia’s Breakfast Parfait won.

In his parting word Matt Preston told Mario “And we have seen you develop as a cook”.  Well that is good, because the viewer certainly didn’t.

Mario’s welcome home was a bit paltry only his wife and his father-in-law. In fact Mario is definitely the cook in that household as on the food plate it looked like they had dished up a dog turd for his return.

Mario is developing pasta sauces with all the profits going to charity. Which does show he obviously is a nice guy it is just we never got to know him.

On Sunday the three past winners of Masterchef are back Julie Goodwin, Adam Liaw and Kate Bracks for the mystery box challenge I hope they get to judge it as well.

1 kess { 06.15.12 at 5:18 pm }

Do you get the feeling with MC that the judges decide to hammer a few contestants and to coddle some others?
Hammered – Fillipo,Sam,Julia, they have all survived some heavy hammering. I think they decide they need to crack very intense people.
Coddled – weepy/deb/etc……these people are going to fall apart if you hammer them, or tell you to get effed & run.

2 littlepetal { 06.15.12 at 5:35 pm }

kess – You are not wrong there. Did you watch last series. How they gingerly get Ellie to the Top 5.

Emma would flood the kitchen if the judges questioned or criticised her cooking.

3 brain dead dave { 06.15.12 at 5:46 pm }

The amatas get their colons hammered in Italy, I can’t wait for that.

4 littlepetal { 06.15.12 at 5:57 pm }

BDD – Judges must have stayed in 5 stars hotel and poor amatas and production crew in no star hotels.

With all the food they have cooked and tasted it may be a good idea to clean up the digestive system and to lose some weight.

5 brain dead dave { 06.15.12 at 6:09 pm }

Amata- ” I was dealt a lot of flushes in Tuscany and I’m not talking about Poker!”

6 JStar { 06.15.12 at 6:38 pm }

Thanks Jess for the screenshot. Hmm, not so conclusive but if Buscemi and Emma were smokers, that could really explain that intense looks and emotional breakdowns we get every episode. It’s a long day of filming with plenty of breaks in between. I can just see the contestants nipping out to the courtyard and having their ciggies and yapping about the “clever” things they said to the camera.

7 Reality Raver { 06.15.12 at 9:04 pm }

I thought a lot of chefs smoked….well according to Anthony Bourdain in Kitchen Confidential that is some of the tamer stuff they do. Actually I think I will ask on Twitter as there are a few chefs on there and see who responds.

Great screen shots Jess.

EH – I think Kate was worst, didn’t she do that microwave chicken dish.
Actually that would make a great blog post the ten worst dishes ever cooked on masterchef. Kate’s chicken, Matt’s raw lamb – what other disasters have their been. There was Aaron’s pasta/mexican fusion dish, I think it was ravioli.

8 Georgie { 06.15.12 at 9:12 pm }

Super Mario has just appeared on The Living Room on Ch10 talking about the elimination; how the judges undermine their confidence; how MC has changed his life and Gary’s motorbikes.

9 smauge { 06.15.12 at 9:15 pm }

That Irish bloke from four in hand would be a smoker.

10 littlepetal { 06.15.12 at 9:26 pm }

Yukioh would have been a better choice than Mario. Also more entertaining too.

11 brain dead dave { 06.15.12 at 9:29 pm }

I wouldn’t say Jowl$y was smokin’ but have assumed for some time that he smokes. I’d be careful with a naked flame around all that methane.

If experienced chefs smoke ,well , okay but the amatas is another kettle of (undercooked ) fish.

I had my own ,just like Ma$terchef meal tonight. Cold rice.

12 Reality Raver { 06.15.12 at 9:53 pm }

Georgie – What did Mario say about judges undermining contestants? Did he say they used it as a tactic.

Smauge – Colin Fassnidge? Hell yeah or at least a reformed one. I think he has kids now.

Little Petal – Bring back Yukio

BDD – No good about your meal tonight, I have meals like that all too frequently.

13 smauge { 06.15.12 at 10:20 pm }

That’s him! And having kids does not stop people smoking, unfortunately.

14 EH { 06.15.12 at 10:36 pm }

Anthony Bourdain did quit right after his daughter was born in 2007:

Not sure if he picks it up again.

15 Georgie { 06.15.12 at 11:24 pm }

RR – Mario said the judges say things to them to make them unsure they are doing the right thing, to sow the seed of doubt, leaving them wondering if they should be doing something differently. Pretty much what we hear them saying.

I think this is basically the stuff that the likes of Julia and Andrew tend to ignore and don’t allow the judges to psyche them out. The stooges don’t like that so they single them out for extra criticism and negative attention. You know, ‘be afraid, be very afraid’, we are the ones with all the power!

16 brain dead dave { 06.15.12 at 11:37 pm }

Jowl$y: So, do you think you’re going home tonight? What would you do if the food dream that you’ve deluded yourself, your family and friends with for so long was snatched from you in this crass culinary coliseum?

George: Amma, do you think you’ve done enough to avoid alimination with that undercooked steak and repulsive presentation?

17 Georgie { 06.15.12 at 11:52 pm }

bdd – I think it’s the stirring the stooges do while the contestants are actually cooking. “Do you think that’s the best way to do such and such, or the best thing to use, or are you going to have time to do it that way” etc.

18 brain dead dave { 06.15.12 at 11:55 pm }

Gary: Those breasts of yours are looking sensational , Kylie ,do you think it’s time to get them out yet?

19 Georgie { 06.16.12 at 12:03 am }

Yeah right – “listen here chicken if you want to win this competition, best you use your suck-ulent breasts more like this”.

20 brain dead dave { 06.16.12 at 12:13 am }

Gary: You thought the competition was stiff, well check this out……

Those thighs could probably use some tenderising, too. Here,let me just….

21 Georgie { 06.16.12 at 12:17 am }

Gary: Andrew, you’re in big trouble because you’ve got nothing I want.

22 brain dead dave { 06.16.12 at 12:26 am }

Gary : Do you have the burning passion of a Masterchef- or just a passion for burning, Andrew?

23 Georgie { 06.16.12 at 12:37 am }

Gary: Do you think there’s enough cheese in that ball Andrew, I’m not so sure?

Jowlsy: What does it matter, I’ll gobble it up anyway!

24 brain dead dave { 06.16.12 at 12:58 am }

Yes Georgie, I’ll bet a lot of food mysteriously goes to JowlHarvest(tm) .

25 Georgie { 06.16.12 at 1:13 am }

Yeah bdd, I reckon there isn’t much in the way of leftovers for charity after the 3 little pigs finish for the day. They might be able to use Jowlsy for a ‘hangi’ street party one night, to feed the homeless.

26 brain dead dave { 06.16.12 at 1:28 am }

I’m getting sleepy.Goodnight now,Georgie.

27 Georgie { 06.16.12 at 1:38 am }

Night bdd.

28 JStar { 06.16.12 at 11:01 am }

RR, you might be interested in this little online article I found. Looks like a blogger from South Africa interviewing Alvin. The article is a year old but it does explain why he is not in the MasterChef All-Stars. Also, interesting about the divide between smokers and non-smokers.

Thanks to Jess and that picture, I think the contestants in the forecourt (in the background) might actually be in the designated “smoko garden” as the crew would also need somewhere nearby to light-up during breaks in filming.

And one last anecdote. About three months after the Season 2 finale, a friend of mine took me to try a Hungarian “tapas” bar in inner-Melbourne. She explained that a week earlier, she was shocked to see Marion at that place with friends. She couldn’t work out why Marion was not hidden inside at the back of the bar to avoid the spotlight until she spotted a cigarette in her hand. Explains why she didn’t want to gamble on a taste test when she used her immunity pin – dulled taste buds.

29 littlepetal { 06.16.12 at 11:40 am }

Thanks JStar for the link. Interesting read. I can understand that there will be some competition going on in the house. After all it is a competition.

With the current bunch, I wonder how many of them are smokers?

Andrew, Andy, Beau, Tregan could be smokers?

BDD and Georgie – Thanks for the laugh

30 Georgie { 06.16.12 at 11:50 am }

Glad you enjoyed it littlepetal – we’re the midnight ravers…

Hope all is going well for you Missy and you can feel the love!

31 littlepetal { 06.16.12 at 11:54 am }

Thanks Georgie. Yes, I can feel the love!!!!! Prognosis is good and I hope to be brand new soon if all goes my way.

32 brain dead dave { 06.16.12 at 2:53 pm }

Mario’s putting out a cookbook- it’s got three pages in it.

Ditto littlepetal.

33 lulu { 06.16.12 at 4:57 pm }

Who the hell cares whether any of them smoke or not – why is this a big deal suddenly?

34 brain dead dave { 06.16.12 at 5:15 pm }

It isn’t a huge issue, lulu bit it’s fact that smokers won’t be able to taste or smell as well as non smokers and since the show is occasionally about food….it’s of some interest who smokes or not as it more likely they could be duds.

35 Daze { 06.16.12 at 5:17 pm }

lulu; we comment on what we want; and who cares about Emma’s beanie, Alice’s glasses whatever or even smokers – etc etc you don’t have to comment and attack. Basically a lot of people in the food industry do – maybe its the stress levels and needed to get away from hot tempered chefs and kitchens, lol

36 lulu { 06.16.12 at 5:58 pm }

Well bdd, I would be happy to have my taste buds dulled if I had to eat the cold, green muck that Emma served up. You’re right, this show is only partially about cooking; the rest is showmanship and commercial placements … so I don’t think any ‘integrity’ will be destroyed by the odd puffer.
And Daaaze, glasses, beanies, tatts etc are all things we can see and worthy of poking fun at. Speculating on who smokes, who’s been circumcised, who’s gay or whatever is just dumb.

37 Morgan { 06.26.12 at 10:52 am }

I’m still baffled by Mario getting picked for the Top 24 over Yukio, like what were the judges thinking?