The Voice Australia – The Grand Finale – Who Will Win? I Still Think Karise Eden Has Got It

I attended The Voice press conference last week which was to meet the final four and the judges who talked about the format of the finale. I have been to a lot of press conference but these have been political ones, not entertainment/celebrity and there are some differences.

Firstly as you would expect the Coaches in The Voice are far more charismatic, there is less tension and no one is going for the jugular. However as someone who is used to hearing the main protagonist in press conferences speak in “grabs” or explain things succinctly I was surprised at the length of answers that Seal and Keith Urban gave. Not that I have a problem with Keith could listen to him chat all day and to be fair he DID have to explain why he chose Darren over  Diana Rouvas, but Seal really needs to learn how to condense his speech. In fact I thought it was interesting body language from Delta when he spoke she just imperceptibly turned away from him. However my mind could have been playing tricks as I waited for Seal to finish answering questions.

Conversely I thought Delta Goodrem was great short, sharp, and to the point, as was Joel Madden and both of them managed to convey their messages clearly.

However one difference was that none of the Coaches were expecting any hard questions and when they were asked if they were locked in for Season Two, there was deathly silence. Personally I thought it would not be an unexpected question after all they are an integral part of the biggest reality show we are going to see this year.

Finally Seal said ” That is a question for the network.” However all said they want to be back but depending on schedules etc. Of course no one mentioned money as being a factor on them doing it again…..

Anyhow if Seal doesn’t end up signing on, maybe they could consider Lionel Ritchie who performed last night and at the end gave some great advice to would be performers and contestants.

However where the show is similar is the all important voting and how to ensure your singer wins. Joel Madden is going all out with a social media strategy with him and his celebrity friends asking their followers to vote. There is a concern that people who have not heard her sing will help her win the prize. Do I have a problem with that? No there are always loopholes and let’s face it Sarah De Bono does not have the compelling back story Karise, Rachael and Darren has. Nor has she had the mainstream media loving the others have had either.

So why not use any advantage she has got.

I am still don’t think she will win, as after Karise Eden’s performances last night she will take the prize.

Team Joel – Sarah De Bono – If I Didn’t Love You

If Sarah wins it is not because of song choices. She screeched the whole way through. Yes I know she is the “whole” pop package but really is their anything unique about her? I would like to see her sing a song of her choice.

Props to Delta Goodrem for two things. Firstly playing a bit of strategy and being critical of Sarah, hell if she wants to get her girl Rachael across the line she needs to  be critical of the other singers. Also the song was not that great and as Delta said it stayed at the one level.

Seal said we have four great artists… I note he did not say the four best singers were in the finale.

Team Seal – Karise Eden – I Was Your Girl

I am not a fan of Seal, over the past two months he has chipped away at my fandom, however I do think he is the best Coach there. He is keen and enthusiastic and appears to really be their for his contestants.

Also fantastic that all four got to sing their original songs which would be their winner’s single as well.  And three of the four were pretty damn good. I hope they  gets to keep some of the monies from the itunes sales as both Karise’s and Darren’s are roaring up the charts.

Team Delta – Rachael Leahcar – Smile

This song selection showed how Rachael does not have a hope of winning, it was a Charlie Chaplin cover and she did not sing it particularly well. However there were pictures of Rachael when she was young, and one showed her reading and that nearly got the sympathy vote from me. It was a very mediocre version of the song, but apparently she is still battling bronchitis.

Team Keith – Darren Percival – Damage Down

I had discounted him as contender this week but this song was freaking amazing. Being smack bang in his voting demographic I nearly started dialling. He should be picked up on his song writing talent alone.

Joel Madden said got it when he said “What prime time show would let a person come on and do an original song?” There are going to be a heap of professional and talented musicians lining up to audition for Season Two of this show.

One the of best thing about Lionel Ritchie and Joel Madden duet was the obvious love and affection they have for each other it was really sweet.

Team Joel – Sarah De Bono – Beautiful

Her original was better than the Tina Arena cover. If  Sarah was five years younger she would have made the perfect Disney girl like Demo Lovato.

Team Seal – Karise Eden – Stay With Me Baby

Karise hit it out of the ball park, and stamped herself the winner. She had kept her best until last. Though she did answer one question – you can have too many sequins. But that Loretta Lyn type outfit actually suited her.

Team Delta – Rachael Leahcar – Shooting Star

Rachael probably was the weakest song writer, but maybe it is not her thing and this did place her at a disadvantage. She said it was about Delta. It was not good.

Joel said “Everybody enjoyed it”, and then asked how she felt up there singing it. This is code for he did not like it at all.

Team Keith – Darren Percival – For Once In My Life

Darren got the luck last pimp spot which should gain him a few more votes, and he used it well to do a rip roaring rendition of the song.  I still don’t think he can beat Karise but hell he is trying his darn best.

Who do you think had the stand out performances? And who do you think will win? Will the social media clout of Joel Madden bring Sarah De Bono home? Or should the vote buying power of iTunes give Karise or Darren the title.

1 Thenezzie { 06.18.12 at 9:53 am }

I thought Rachel’s song was a rip off of Heaven by Bryan Adams.

I think song choices for Darren and Karise have been spot on, but last night both Rachel and Sarah’s were pretty poor choices. Rachel needed to sing something more modern. She is a young girl, shouldn’t be trapped in what seem like old show tunes. I agree with Delta that Sarah should have sung Chains is she wanted to do Tina Arena.

I am voting for Karise.

2 Maxie { 06.18.12 at 9:56 am }

I agree with you that Karise will probably take it, I hope she beats Darren, who has that piano lounge bar look and sound.. not my fave genre. Having said that, I think the better singers were culled out through the season and we were left with the mediocre who it seems had a better back story. This is a real flaw in the concept, and over time will come back to bite the producers if they’re planning on more than one season. This annoys me because it always looks like Australia can’t produce good talent. We can, but it gets shoved aside for the low risk and mediocre who can drum up a better sob-story. Predictable and boring but I hope the contestants get more out of it than the viewers do.

3 Fides { 06.18.12 at 10:17 am }

I don’t mind who wins, but would prefer it not to be Rachael. Glenn Cunningham might agree, looking at his retweets from last night. He’s defended himself saying he’s just retweeting what the people are saying, and that he loves Rachael… hmmmmm

CLEARLY @Its_just_G should have been in the final 4 ….and the winner of @TheVoiceAU 2012 :'(

i love both Rachael and Glenn but I think Glenn has more talent and should’ve made it to the final 4 :L xx

I think @Its_just_G is better than Rachael. You should have made it to the finals. :/
#theevoiceau aghhh Rachel…. You should be watching from @Its_just_G seat. No offense

4 Joseph Skyrim { 06.18.12 at 10:28 am }

Still on the Darren train over here (despite me saying I wouldn’t watch anymore lol). For me he is the best singer left.

Karise can sing, but how do I put this… where I can probably buy a Darren Percival CD and listen to it from start to finish, one song from Karise is probably all I can put up with. Doesn’t help that I find it hard to understand what she is singing. Yeah ok, you connect. We feel you. You know what? I dont give a damn about all that. I just want good music.

Dunno what happened to blind girl but she’s dropped to the mediocre level and I’m not sure what red head is still doing in the competition.

I agree with Maxie though in that some better contestants (ability-wise) were eliminated ahead of lower skilled people. Would have liked wuthering-heights chick to still be here as an example. Doubt she would have had the votes to back her though.

5 Daze { 06.18.12 at 11:28 am }

The judges have hit the Daily Mail papers in UK – Delta looks stunning and pix of ONJ

6 Fides { 06.18.12 at 11:40 am }

lol Joseph – I had real problems with Karise’s original song lyrics too – I was your girl with the (something) curls?

7 Reality Raver { 06.18.12 at 11:48 am }

Daze – Delta is an international star, and she looks great.

Fides – Glen is a douche and if the show had been ALL about the public vote he would not have gotten as far as he had.

Joseph Skyrim – I think Darren could give it a shake. I think three of the four will be signed by Universal. It think Delta should have taken Viktoria through. Wuthering Heights girl Laura I loved in the beginning but she lost me in the end.

Maxie – just cannot see Karise losing though some unkind fellows on Twitter think she could be the Casey Donovan of the show. I disagree I think if she has a good support system which she will and a solid fanbase she should go far. I also see Karise as having international potential.

8 EH { 06.18.12 at 11:53 am }

Karise is the voice. Still think she has it in her bag.

Fides – lol! I was your girl with the ‘auburn’ curls.

9 Hill Top Dreamer { 06.18.12 at 11:55 am }

Given Karise has 4 songs in iTunes top ten and that counts as two votes I expect she will win. I rather enjoy her unusual voice and I expect with some lessons in diction while singing she will prove to be a real winner

10 Fides { 06.18.12 at 11:55 am }

Thanks EH! I thought it was ‘open’ curls which made no sense at all 😉

11 brain dead dave { 06.18.12 at 12:00 pm }

Wow! The show started on time. The networks are playing for sheep stations with the Finales about. The ads were in sync with Ma$terchef’s quite a lot.

I noted that thirty minutes into The Voice only two songs had been trotted out. The rest is consumed with mindless smoke blowing from the judges, the best option was to mute them and put on a CD of something acceptable. I only listened when a vocalist was produced- not often enough.

The show is no more about music than Ma$terchef is about cooking.

Wish I was a tweenie again, so I’d know who to vote for. The over emoting ranga? Renee Geyer Lite? The beige,bawling lounge lizard?

I didn’t like that Rachael Leahcar did a tribute to Delta…might as well do a tribute to nasal hair.

12 Georgie { 06.18.12 at 12:04 pm }

Rofl bdd – thanks.

13 brain dead dave { 06.18.12 at 12:10 pm }

Thanks for your recap of DWTS,too,which I read earlier.. I missed DWTS and a lot of MC because of of this schmaltzfest but ex winner Manu asked me to “Tell Shorshie zat ze recap was awesome”

14 Georgie { 06.18.12 at 12:14 pm }

Thanks bdd, and tell Manu “Eet waaz may pleshure”.

15 Amanda S { 06.18.12 at 12:21 pm }

Regardless of who wins The Voice (and I’m assuming it will be Karise), it’s clear that Darren Percival is a winner. As he’s already making a living from his live shows, he can now be assured of bigger venues, much bigger audiences and should have no trouble finding finance for a record and negotiating a distribution deal.

I think it might be trickier for Karise as the record company will want to cash in on her success by pushing her to make something pop-py. She’s going to need people around her who not only support her emotionally but also can help her to find her musical direction.

For me the highlight of the series was the Mitchell/Fatai battle round. So my wish is that these two singers who’s contrasting voices combine in such an interesting way will record a duet together.

16 EH { 06.18.12 at 12:26 pm }

Amanda – totally agreed with you. My daughter shouted to the screen “Bring Mitchell back” last night.

17 brain dead dave { 06.18.12 at 12:30 pm }

I hope someone here gets a successful career but looking at the history of exploitative talent/game shows here the road to hell is lined with the rotting carcasses of Altiyan Juric ,Wes Carr, Natalie Gauci, $tan Walker, Jack Vidgen etc Ground control to Pops Wi$hart!

Yea verily, stellar things were predicted for these appalling units, too….but where are they now?

18 Chunks { 06.18.12 at 12:38 pm }

With Karise at numbers one, two and three positions on iTunes, I think you can safely say she has it in the bag. But is there a market for her beyond The Voice?

19 Georgie { 06.18.12 at 12:44 pm }

bdd – “…but where are they now?” Singing in the shower maybe!

20 SaintsDeano { 06.18.12 at 12:47 pm }

Karise gets my vote. Hallelujah.

21 joan { 06.18.12 at 12:57 pm }

I will buy Karises music, never been a fan of blues before, but she connects when she sings, amazing.

22 joan { 06.18.12 at 12:58 pm }

Darren is starting to remind me of Altiyan, stop with the bloody crying man, we get it you are 40 and haven’t quite made it yet.

23 brain dead dave { 06.18.12 at 1:03 pm }

You can buy five fabulous albums from the universally acknowledged Queen Of Soul, Aretha Franklin for under $20.. It’ll work out cheaper than one album from the queen of Seal.

24 joan { 06.18.12 at 1:06 pm }

bdd I support Aussie talent 😉

25 brain dead dave { 06.18.12 at 1:11 pm }

Oh, okay cobber. I buy Dick $mith Vegemite, can dig that.

26 cadman smythe { 06.18.12 at 2:07 pm }

Just saw found this song with Karise singing the lead and she just sounds amazing on it.

27 EH { 06.18.12 at 2:24 pm }

Bdd #17 – with an exception Guy Sebastian. There is always hope :)

28 Ruby { 06.18.12 at 2:27 pm }

Whatever happened to the shearer who came 2nd to Wes Hall? Is he back shearing sheep? Maybe he can get Altiyan a job if he doesn’t want to be a fork lift driver.
How did Andrew Wishart’s self-funded album go? Does he have to sell his kids to pay it all off?
I honestly haven’t heard anything about these spuds in ages.

29 brain dead dave { 06.18.12 at 2:38 pm }

Ruby- That’d be Luke Dickens from or at the time, Young. He busted up with his missus, I know that much. He ‘ken give up shearin’ for a while and went to the big smoke after Idol. He was hot for a while as I saw him on KAK. I know he done a gig at a rissole on Anzac day in Young as well but I reckon he’d be rooted now. Yaz can ‘ken check out lukedickens.com.au.

EH Guy Sebastian is the only exception- only one with a pulse.

30 Georgie { 06.18.12 at 2:40 pm }

Lmao Ruby, you’re soooo funny.

31 Fides { 06.18.12 at 3:06 pm }

EH/ BDD : Bet Chris Sebastian wishes it were otherwise…

32 brain dead dave { 06.18.12 at 3:18 pm }

Oh how I miss Chris Sebastian not being on the show and being reminded every single episode that he’s Guy’s brother and then Chris bleating that he didn’t want to be regarded as Guy’s brother etc. Elvis had a stillborn twin brother, there could easily have been two Elvises. That’s a lot of hamburgers,btw.

But the Chris $ebastian damage is done because that weasel’s appalling cover of I Can’t $tand The Rain still plays in my head.

33 Fides { 06.18.12 at 3:28 pm }

Well I really hope next time, it’s the youngest Sebastian who has a crack. He was on screen supporting Chris somewhere along the line, and he’s the best looking one. Don’t think he inherited the family eyebrows, so if he can just drop the Sebastian from his name, he might be judged solely on his talent.

34 Mel { 06.18.12 at 3:50 pm }

Now at the ‘business end’ (god, I loathe that term) I think it’s essential that any potential contestants on next year’s Voice think hard about their tactics in choosing a coach if more than one turns around for them. I’d be heading straight for the apparent weaker team (Delta, this season) with a much stronger chance of going far.

Does anyone else think the producers should have a quiet word with the coaches next year about song choices? Man, there’s been a lot of doughy, unexciting, unfamiliar songs picked this time round.

I’m gunning hard for Karise tonight, but geez I wish they’d stop dressing her like she’s a 60-year old nana instead of the 19-year-old she really is. Those dresses are sucking in her ‘bits’ as best they can but I think she looks plain uncomfortable. They’ve also really ‘over-styled’ her with the excessive hair extensions, dye job and eyebrow tints.

Hopefully this will be a lesson learned and when she takes charge of her own career she can perhaps tell the stylist and hair and make-up girls to take a pill and ease off a bit.

35 Daze { 06.18.12 at 3:58 pm }

The gold number on Karise was very Dame Edna without glasses – yes, I hope she goes onto find her own style – must have nanna’s and old queens dressing some of them. Can’t understand the need to make Karise look so ancient either?

36 Reality Raver { 06.18.12 at 4:39 pm }

Just heard a rumour on Adelaide radio (BDD when did Adelaide last break a story?) saying Gaga is rumoured to be on The Voice tonight. I actually think this rumour is dying as I write it. But hey you never know there must be a performer on the show tonight?

37 Andy Pandy { 06.18.12 at 4:44 pm }

RR, David Campbell was also saying that on The Morning Show today, was teasing everyone about it but no confirmation .

38 Lainie { 06.18.12 at 5:00 pm }

Wow!! I thought I was the only one who thought rachaels song was a copy of heaven by bryan Adams :) !!!
Why does she not go by her real name anyway???
I hope Darren wins tonight

39 littlepetal { 06.18.12 at 6:20 pm }

I have to admit I hardly watched The Voice. When Rachel first sang in The Voice, she blew me away. Last night I was in the kitchen when Rachel came on. This time she didn’t blew me away. If this has been her first appearance on the Voice, I don’t think she would have gone very far. But what do I know.

40 Andy Pandy { 06.18.12 at 6:54 pm }

Yeah I feel the same littlepetal. I watched at first with the blind auditions but then got bored with it, I don’t really know why, I think I preferred The X Factor and Australian Idol. I might watch some of it tonight after Masterchef just to see who wins but no one really appeals to me. They might become big stars, I hope they do for their sakes, but I wonder how many of them will make it on the list of rotting carcasses that BDD has compiled? Good luck to them all!