Being Lara Bingle – The Ongoing Plot Line Of The Mystery Of What Lara Does Continues

Well it is week two of Being Lara Bingle and I still don’t quite get what she does except turn up to events. What would be a great show for her would be the Australian version of The Simple Life, the show that starred Paris Hilton and Nicole Ritchie where they travelled around the US doing jobs like working on a farm or as maids in a nudist resort. It would be a hoot and would place her totally outside her comfort zone.

In a sense Lara is Australia version of Paris Hilton, people are fascinated by her but don’t really like her and tonight’s episode probably did not help improve her image.

“This week is fashion week but I can’t get there as I have no license,” says Lara. My first thought was hasn’t she heard of a bus? Or even taxis. Her rationale for needing a car is having to get changed in them between events.

There was a minor gripe that she doesn’t get paid to go. But as Hermione pointed out “you choose to go as that is who you are”.

The nude photo scandal is the gift that keeps on giving to the plot line and when she was out and about at fashion week it was again talked about.  It must have been stressful but we don’t see it.

In one scene Lara was in the car saying “I feel like crap” and I thought this might be a more emotional/personal scene and then she starts talking about her make up”.

Other scenes in the episode were:

• Lara attending a dinner at Camilla and Marcs;
  • Lara wakeboarding;
  • Lara doing an interview on The Project;
  • Lara doing an interview on the Kyle and Jackie O show.
What we are not getting to see is her boyfriend that she has ‘fessed up to.
The most “real” and interesting scene of the whole episode was the dynamic between Lara and her mother and seeing that tense relationship in action.
Ma Bingle was trying to give her a talking to about her life, but I don’t think Ma Bingle saw the irony of telling Lara “she was an adult now” whilst she was doing her son’s laundry and cooking him food to take home with him.
In the end Lara was apparently “kicked out” of her mothers home and she wanders up the road. Hopefully one of the camera crew will give her a lift back into town.
UPDATE: Ratings are in and they have dropped but still it is rating respectably for a niche reality TV show. Herald Sun reporting 782,000 viewers watched it. As Michael Idato pointed out on twitter it was cheaper to make then the two other TEN network programs that rated higher then it that is Masterchef and Bikie Wars.

1 Daze { 06.19.12 at 11:26 pm }

yes, it seems ma bingle can wash for her son willingly but bitches about it or anything to do with Lara. I think I saw a promo where Lara bought washing home, and then, the ‘mother’ started. She’s one damn horrible mother that’s all I can say.

And hence why Lara is so screwed up. Who else are you going to turn to if you can’t turn to a parent? No wonder her phone and friends are more important than her mother, she is simply doing what she’s had all her life; being shoved aside and it seems like she has been ignored most of her life and when she did get attention, it was because she was out of line and so, the pattern goes; which equals attention. Damned if she does and damned if she doesn’t. Then you have Gran down her throat.

2 Georgie { 06.19.12 at 11:42 pm }

Daze, maybe that’s why she was so close to her father and misses him so much?

3 Daze { 06.19.12 at 11:49 pm }

Bet he was a lot kinder to her Georgie. She’s a real witch her mum. What’s her problem and is probably the cause of 90% of Lara’s issues, from way back as a little girl? My son still rings me if he wants to run something by me, I don’t lambast him – I want that door open – but he still makes up his own mind . But I don’t get the witch and gran doing her head in as if it was about them – I guess I just now have realised I see another side to her, as I didn’t watch last week’s show and went with the public opinion. More shame on me.

4 brain dead dave { 06.19.12 at 11:52 pm }

I’ve watched both eps and plan to watch next week. Even with the late start and copious ads , this is train wreck television for the connoisseur.

The mother is just like Noeleen from $ylvannia Waters for mine. Just needs a bourbon in her hand.

5 Daze { 06.19.12 at 11:55 pm }

Yes! that’s exactly who she reminds me of now that you said that (quietly living on the Gold Coast now I read) now that was a train smash, lol – she said the editing of that show totally destroyed their family. Anyhow I reckon the bourbon bottle was hiding under the leaves of dinner. And just an aside, nice new apartment in Cronulla, wonder if Lara bought it for her mum? Anything to please a bully and sadly Lara is still in victim mode

6 brain dead dave { 06.20.12 at 12:01 am }

Yes, my friend tonight said as much, that Lara’s coughed up for her mother’s place. Let the old crow do her washing,then.

7 Georgie { 06.20.12 at 12:05 am }

Gender bias – you find that a lot with mothers, being hard on their daughters and spoiling their sons. I’m the youngest of three and my Mum very much favoured my brother over my sister and me. It never bothered me because he was my favourite too but me sister hated it.

8 Daze { 06.20.12 at 12:11 am }

Yes Georgie I think you are right; my bestie still hasn’t cut the umbilical cord of her 30 yr old son who incidentally still lives at home!
And nothing to do with Lara, but on same vein, Karise had her mother on stage who abandoned her, setting herself up for more hurt; where were her foster parents who imo deserved to be up there instead. Got on my goat that did

9 Reality Raver { 06.20.12 at 7:40 am }

daze – agree re: where were the foster parents the ones that gave her the guitar. Was reading an interview late last night and she wanted to keep the reason why her relationship broke down a mystery. it is sitting in a DOC’s file somewhere.

Agree obvious favouritism with Josh he still lives at home and does not look like he is going anywhere fast. His mum has turned him into quite a catch. Not

10 Andy Pandy { 06.20.12 at 8:05 am }

I read somewhere on here that Fillipo still rings his mother every day. Josh might not have the confidence yet to leave home if he has it easy with mum and she does everything for him. I have two sons around this age ( both Married now ) who left home early and have always been very independent, and a daughter as well who lives alone. None of them ring me every day, they don’t have to, I’m proud of them all. ( I guess I probably would do their washing if they asked! ) I’m warming a bit to Lara but where does she get all her money from?

11 Stacey { 06.20.12 at 10:59 am }

I felt sad after watching last nights episode. My mum has her head so far up my brothers ass and would do anything for him, even when he is in the wrong. All of my sisters and I have never gotten the same treatment. It does seem like Josh is a mummy’s boy and Lara was the daddy’s girl. But whos there for Lara now that hes gone?Hopefully her new boyfriend is supportive.
Between the absolute berating she gets from the public, she gets it from her best friend\manager and her family too. If not even your family will support you then who will?

12 Reality Raver { 06.20.12 at 11:18 am }

Stacey – I think the issue is they all benefit and derive income from the Lara Bingle brand. And I think her mother was spot on about querying your BFF can also be your manager. Personally I don’t think so and she is no longer her manager.

OK I am going to have to mea culpa on the mother/son thing I fell into it this morning with an academy award winning performance from Master Nearly Four about how sick he was and could not go to childcare. But I won’t be cooking or frigging doing his washing for him once he is over 20 as personally I don’t think it does the kids of either gender to do this.

Also I think Ma Bingle is good reality TV talent

13 Daze { 06.20.12 at 11:21 am }

Exactly Stacey. I think this show wasn’t meant to show this bullsh*t in her life about her horrid unkind mother and has backfired in that now people will have a clearer understanding of the ‘lost little girl’ rather than the showoff. She is easily manipulated by the press, managers, anyone who wants to use her, let alone her family, who should be supportive and kind and give her strength and belief in herself. All a little too late, it is what it is and its family dysfunctional dymanics, so I can’t see that changing. The best thing she can do for herself is put distance from her mother and go far far away

14 Daze { 06.20.12 at 11:25 am }

RR as bdd said; ghosts of past : Noeline!

Yeah, don’t fall into that trap RR cute as they are, it’s our job to make them independent – it’s a tough world out there (compared to when I was 20)

15 brain dead dave { 06.20.12 at 11:29 am }

I have a guy living next door, I call him Bad Boy Bubby who is 55 ,still living at home with Ma doing the cooking and washing for him. She’s completely poisoned him against modern women -“too selfish thesedays”- and convinced him that he’s better off having the beer money to escape once a week to the local on Sunday for Happy Hour.

16 Reality Raver { 06.20.12 at 11:42 am }

BDD – It sounds like BBB has more issues than mummy ones going on there.

17 Reality Raver { 06.20.12 at 11:46 am }

Daze – I think it is harder in someways and easier in others for kids these days. However I do they need to be independent. If you were in the country you had to leave home to go to Uni so were independent from a young age. Now that was tough but it was growing/learning experience. No food in fridge and utilities cut off, though managed to have $$$ to go to pub….
Whereas I think kids stick at home being cloistered in cotton wool and material comforts. If my kids go to Uni in Sydney I expect they will stay at home until they finish. But after that I would encourage travel or moving out. Then I can go back to having hommous and crackers for dinner.

18 Bolders { 06.20.12 at 12:01 pm }

I have to say, I felt completely uncomfortable watching last night’s episode. The confrontation between mother and daught was entirely too real and it felt like an intrusion. Clearly there is pain and frustration on both sides – you could see it etched on both their faces. This isnt a mock argument set up between overly made up Kardashians play acting a “drama”. Even with the Osbournes (remember them) there was a lot of faux set ups to create some sort of arc or tension.

I am starting to think that for Lara, this whole thing isn’t a good idea. Good for her for choosing to be honest, but honest may not be the way to go when there are tensions within the family.

19 Daze { 06.20.12 at 1:06 pm }

RR there wasn’t as much techno (faster pace of life) & population all that life stress – pressure – back then and yes it was ‘fun’ to only have stale cheese in the fridge, bludge rides – and go to pubs for end of week and mega ‘safe’ parties – yowzah!

As you say, kids going to Uni today do stay at home longer. I was gobsmacked seeing a 27 yr old living at home in UK whilst visiting his parents and that was 2000 but with rent elect etc (he was not going to Uni) he couldn’t cope financially. And look at all the kids at home on SBS reality show of the Indian family (series just finished) daughter/husband/child and new baby, son and new wife and younger son – it’s pretty much the norm – cheaper by the dozen as they say, cutting costs etc.

Bolders – yes very uncomfortable and raw, but I can’t figure out what the mother wants or even went on to expose herself on this show if it wasn’t for selfish glory and riding on her daughter’s ‘fame’? Bloody hell, I certainly wouldn’t be showing that side of my personality on camera if I was her, ffs. Lara has a lifetime of issues whilst she stays in toxic contact with her is all I can see.

20 kelley @ magnetoboldtoo { 06.20.12 at 2:03 pm }

I tried to watch it – I adore me some reality tv – but found myself tuning out within seconds and only looking up during the ad breaks.

Colour and movement.

21 Stacey { 06.20.12 at 2:40 pm }

I found it extremely insulting when Lara was basically saying “Mum I’m your child I need some support” and her mum was just like “too bad your not a child.” !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Who the hell cares if shes not a child! She’s YOUR child you wench! She has to be the mum AND the Dad nowadays and honestly if this is what shes really like, then she’s treating her own daughter the way the public treats her. Awful.

22 Andy Pandy { 06.20.12 at 3:33 pm }

RR, this is what happened with two of my kids. We live in a regional area and they both left home to go to Uni in Brisbane and Sunshine Coast. After finishing uni they got jobs there and so they don’t tend to come back to live. One son still lives here but I haven’t done their washing for years! It’s good for them to be independent but they know that you are always there if needed. In fact, my daughter rang this morning upset because she had a flat tyre! Not much I can do 3 hrs away except sympathise and tell her to ring RACQ! RR, enjoy your kids while they are little, they grow up too fast.