Masterchef Australia – Filippo Eliminated – Who Will Be The Judges Whipping Boy Now?

Sorry about the late recap I am having one of THOSE mornings where it is just after 9.30am and thoughts of white wine are popping into my head. Never fear I will not give in as I am not that much of a lush.

The pressure test last night was a good one where Wade, Emma and Filippo had to make a Quiche Lorraine without a recipe. They could be guided by the taste and ingredients of the one Gary Mehigan made. It looked great but calorific.

Wade was confident as he had made the dish a lot with his mother. Also Emma who is confident around pastry was not flipping out. Unfortunately for Filippo he was struggling a bit. Both with the pastry and what was even more weird putting a half filled quiche in the oven. Gary came over to give him some tips on how he could add more mixture but it was difficult for him to recover from.

Again at tasting we saw the judges ask Emma questions in a kindly manner. George asked her what she would do if she got eliminated and she said she would go and get an apprenticeship. Obviously George is a bit cynical now in Season Four as he has heard THAT one all before and he asked her if that was the truth. I believe she and Kylie will be about the only ones that would take on an apprenticeship from this season.

Unfortunately Filippo was told he talked a big game but had not delivered and then after they tasted them all.

Emma’s was judged the best, and Filippo was eliminated. It was probably the best decision of the night, but it was a little disappointing. Β Filippo in the top 50 looked like he was going to be a cracker contestant because of his intensity however in the end he just remained focussed and had some good meals and not so good dishes. But the question has to be asked who will become the judges whipping boy now?

Filippo went home to be greeted by his kids and family, I think we can presume he is divorced. He will being writing a cookbook based Β on his Italian heritage. To be honest I don’t think it will be a big seller. What was great about Filippo was that he was the rare contestant that is male and straight and over the age of thirty. Why are they so rare? Because normally in that demographic they have financial obligations and cannot take that much time off work.

Tonight Audra cooks against Hamish InghamΒ  for an immunity pin. He may be young but he has some chops. He was 2004 Young Chef of the Year. Hamish owns Bar H in Sydney and has a modern twist on asian. It will be an interesting battle.

1 Anonymous { 06.19.12 at 3:43 pm }

Dissappointed that filippo is gone. He had actually cooked some interesting dishes. The other two have really done nothing in the game so far. Dissappointed to see the likes of dalvinder and filippo who have gone who have won some challenges and others are still there who have not done much the whole way through. I know its the game but sometimes I feel its too late to be cooking great only to save yourself.

2 EH { 06.19.12 at 3:49 pm }

Hey Rosie, I have a soft spot for Filippo. Decided to spend an extra minute to find his wife… so I can sleep well tonight. :) I didn’t realise each contestant has a 3-minutes video clip on their bio page until just then.

3 Oshada { 06.19.12 at 3:58 pm }

Good point about Julia BDD, she cleans up real nice!

4 Andy Pandy { 06.19.12 at 4:35 pm }

EH, thanks for the video clip of Filippo, good to see he has a happy home life. The woodfire pizzas looked delicious.

5 Bolders { 06.19.12 at 4:35 pm }

One thing (or at least another thing) that is really starting to bother me are the screechers or what I call the Oprah Chickens (after the whoo whoo yelps from her studio audience). The female cooks on MC seem to exibihit that particular tick ever time someone cuts an onion the right way.

When did Australians start to do that??

6 librarygirl { 06.19.12 at 4:50 pm }

Bolders: they are Whoo Girls.
Whoo! Whoo! Whoo! There was a whole episode of “How I met your mother” about this phenomenon.
( and then if you are Audra you jump into the arms of the nearest person).

7 Georgie { 06.19.12 at 5:15 pm }

My two faves at the start of the show (top 50) were Flippo and Julia. I like ‘weird’ people (sorry bdd).

I didn’t expect either of them to win but it’s nice to watch their ‘journey’ (sorry bdd).

I wonder what made Gary think his quiche was ‘perfect’?

8 Bolders { 06.19.12 at 5:38 pm }

Librarygirl #56 – So I was right, it started in the US!

I don’t like it. It makes them sound stupid.

Makes me shout at the TV “Shut up”.

So I sound stupid.

9 brain dead dave { 06.19.12 at 5:52 pm }

I tend to associate the beginning of wooh-ing with late 60’/early 70’s US rock culture. Singers would use it to gee up audiences and later audiences began to respond in kind.

C’est si bon, $horshie.

10 EH { 06.19.12 at 6:08 pm }

Andy Pandy – My pleasure. Did you watch the clip on Andy’s page (a total 4 minutes of Andy!)? It shows plenty of muscle, great knife skills and saw him playing a game of basketball. For some weird reasons, my gaydar went off while watching the clip :( May be it is his voice.

11 Bolders { 06.19.12 at 6:12 pm }

BDD #59 – is it really that far back? But why are the girls only doing it now?
Not sure of your vintage, but I do recall male US audiences doing the woof woof call (shows like Love and Marriage, Arsenio blah blah blah) in the 80s but that, thankfully, died a quick death. I mean they just sounded like dogs.

I hope the whoo hoo chickens go that way to.

I starting to believe that since everything seems to annoy me on these shows lately, I am officially Over.The.Hill.

12 Moonstruck { 06.19.12 at 6:28 pm }

@georgie #57. Exactly who says that Gary’s quiche was perfect?
And where were the encouraging words and smile for Filipo and Wade from George? Of course reserved for Emma.
I’m predicting Amina to be in the final and to win. We have the Asian cookbook and the desserts cookbook and the family cookbook. With italians gone that only leaves a Spanish (unlikely) or middle eastern cookbook.

13 JStar { 06.19.12 at 6:46 pm }

@Georgie. The quiche was “perfect” as I’m sure it was Gary’s mother’s recipe. Expect a MasterClass of that in the near future.

14 brain dead dave { 06.19.12 at 6:53 pm }

Gary’s mother has been a massive failure given the knife licking, double dipping piglet she’s produced.

15 JStar { 06.19.12 at 6:57 pm }

If Gary’s mother has produced a failure regarding Gazza’s table manners, how would you describe the result of George’s BDD? πŸ˜› Be kind (if possible).

16 Georgie { 06.19.12 at 7:12 pm }

Moonstruck – I could be wrong (it wouldn’t be the first time) but I seem to remember Gary mentioning the perfect quiche several times after putting his up as the example.

17 brain dead dave { 06.19.12 at 7:20 pm }

Oh well, George C- like Merle Haggard said, “Mama Tried” but he was always a boy who salivated too much.
Dear old Mrs Jowl$ has done somewhat better with the manners but failed miserably at portion control and ceasing bibs, because Jowl$y’s moved straight on to the cravats as a surrogate.

18 librarygirl { 06.19.12 at 8:19 pm }

Moonstruck, we were just saying here Amina would be the perfect one to do a food safari type show on SBS with beautiful cookbook and travel.

19 Moonstruck { 06.19.12 at 10:50 pm }

Sorry Georgie that was what I meant. Only Gary!!!!!!
What a shame that Amina’s dish won again but she gets no reward. At least no one won an immunity tonight. The only consolation for Amina is that she is getting more opportunities to cook without going into eliminations.

20 Georgie { 06.19.12 at 11:02 pm }

Moonstruck – see that’s one of the occasions I was wrong, I misunderstood you. :)

21 smauge { 06.20.12 at 3:31 pm }

Once again I’m late to the party, so I’ve not read all these responses. I just wanted to say I’m crushed that my Aspie man has gone. I’ll find it hard to pick a new favourite because I thought he’d last longer than this. Amina and Audra are the stand outs so I’ll follow them I think.
As for book sales – I’d buy it! It would be full of lovely bread recipes for sure!

22 Simone { 06.22.12 at 3:27 pm }

JStar – ‘Tigger Audra’, lol. Wade does seem to have a personality after all. Just noticed he’s quite good-looking, has something happened to The Eyebrows? Maybe a bit smaller this week?

I still don’t get how contestants get on here without ever having cooked some really standard, basic foods. Quiche, isn’t that something that everyone’s cooked a few times? I liked Filippo, he was interesting and focused and didn’t have to be an arse to anyone (hello Deb) and didn’t weep every time anyone looked in his general direction. And if Mindy were yelling things at me all the time from teh gallery I’d make like ol’ Julia did one time and give them the option to stfu. How annoying.

23 Filippo Silvestro { 11.15.12 at 12:53 pm }

Thanks to everyone for all the comments!
Yes a bread book is coming.
I had a bad day on the quiche and made mistakes which I could not recover from.
Yes I am married.
Will make YouTube videos for you all soon.
Most of the comments spot on, but no Aspergers here! Lol! Just a very intense person focused on achieving goals. Didn’t go on MC for the TV factor, genuinely just the cooking! I cook a lot besides bread; this is what the editors showed me doing most. I am working as a part time pastry chef for Matt Moran at Aria Brisbane.
Had a great time on MC: what a hoot! You haven’t seen the last of Filippo! Follow me on FB or twitter (@FilippoBreadMan) and I can answer all your questions. Cheers, Filippo! πŸ˜‰

24 Georgie { 11.15.12 at 1:09 pm }

Hey Filippo good to hear from you. You were a very popular contestant with the MC viewers on this blog and certainly one of my favourites. I’ll look out for your bread book.

25 smauge { 11.15.12 at 5:50 pm }

Good to hear you have a book coming out Filippo. Hope you took no offence to my Asperger’s comments. As a mother of an Asperger, they were coming from a good place. Nothing wrong with being focussed! Good luck in your future!

26 A.P { 11.15.12 at 7:26 pm }

Filippo, you were one of our favourites here and we were sorry to see you go and thought the judges were mean to you!
How did you get on with Deb?
Good luck to you and your book.

27 Filippo Silvestro { 11.15.12 at 7:39 pm }

Thanks Georgie. I was itching to reply to you guys as the comments were made, but it was not possible for various reasons. I would’ve had a great time on twitter and FB too. Best not to respond to some comments though… Most on this forum were very well behaved! πŸ˜‰

28 Filippo Silvestro { 11.15.12 at 7:44 pm }

Smaug I like your comments overall and was not offended by the Aspergers comment. I just wanted set the record straight. Although in real life I am quite a nerd (albeit very cool… Lol!).

29 Filippo Silvestro { 11.15.12 at 7:52 pm }

Thanks A.P. I really appreciate the kind words. The judges were way cool behind the scenes (& on too lol), I got on very well with them! Deb is great! You only got to see the drama, that’s all! We get on well. Hi to Deb if your reading this! πŸ˜‰

30 Izobel2 { 11.15.12 at 9:49 pm }

Hi Filippo! We have a great time on this blog and love Masterchef! We hope the judges and producers read it too so they can make changes like showing more of the dishes and less of the drama!
I guess you erik be watching MC 2013 then?!

31 Reality Raver { 11.15.12 at 10:01 pm }

Hi Filippo – Thanks for popping in to say hi, much appreciated and let us know when your book is out. Great news you are doing some work with Matt Moran.

32 Stacey { 11.16.12 at 9:41 am }

Hi Filippo! I will definately have my eyes peeled for your bread book, bread is my absolute favourite thing to cook! And congratulations on working with Matt Moran!

33 Culinary Boner { 11.16.12 at 10:32 am }

G’day Filippo, though I recall taking the piss by having a dig at your Steve Buscemi like intensity (and looks) on the show, you should take a bow for becoming the reigning King of Bread (& Baking) for MasterChef Australia. The show has always been best from my perspective when it focusses on great cooking technique, something the ham acting judges have dropped the ball on in the latter series of MasterChef. So thanks for stepping up and showing us how to bake great bread under extreme pressure.

34 Izobel2 { 11.16.12 at 11:11 am }

Hey Boner I said to my husband last night that Filippo had contacted the RR Blog, and he said “which one was he again?”, and I said “you know, Steve Buscemi”, and he said “oh yeah him, the bread guy”!!

35 Filippo Silvestro { 11.16.12 at 11:48 am }

RR Thanks heaps. Having a ball!
Stacey – cheers, will post recipes for you ASAP.
Culinary Boner – re Buscemi comments: Hilarious! I don’t take offence easily. I always was ‘the bread man’… Now everyone else knows it too lol!
Thanks for the comments. More coming from me too. Cheers, Filippo.

36 Filippo Silvestro { 11.16.12 at 11:50 am }

Izobel2 Yes I am a bit hard to forget…! πŸ˜‰

37 JStar { 11.16.12 at 12:41 pm }

Hey Filippo. Just a few questions from one of the more memorable contestants this year on MC Australia. Will look out for your book for sure!

How long did it take you to lose the 10 kilograms you put on in the MC Prison?
Which elimination of a contestant (besides yours) affected you the most?
Which contestant/s are now lifelong friends?
What was your favourite and least favourite challenge?
And who was your favourite judge/guest judge?

38 Stacey { 11.18.12 at 5:25 pm }

Thanks Filippo!

For the record, I love Steve Buscemi.

39 Filippo Silvestro { 11.22.12 at 2:59 pm }

JStar – Yes lockdown can get boring, but it was more than fine as we were very well looked after indeed!

I gained 10 kgs as I ate double portions of everything (LOL) and my very full plates were a source of laughs for the others.

I still kept on the weight, which I really needed.

None of the eliminations really upset me that much, as I’m not that sort of person, but I was disappointed to see Kath and Dalvinder go. They’re great cooks.

I won’t single out anyone for lifelong friend status (they’re all my friends), but I am good mates with Beau. Wade, Ben, Andy, Sammy, Matty, and Mario are awesome blokes to hang around! Very funny! The girls were just as cool, especially Tregan Lol!

I’ve never had such a good time in my life. I hope this answers your questions. Cheers, Filippo.

40 JStar { 11.22.12 at 5:41 pm }

Thanks for answering my questions Filippo even though it looks like the post went straight to spam (I’m assuming that was not a pantry item in the MC Kitchen?). And I hope you know that you were a favourite on this site.

41 Filippo Silvestro { 11.22.12 at 5:44 pm }

Aww thanks Jstar! πŸ˜‰

42 PollyB { 11.22.12 at 6:09 pm }

Filippo, fab news that you are working for Matt Moran. It’s good to know that not just the ‘winnner’ gets to do what they love due to MC :)

43 Filippo Silvestro { 11.22.12 at 6:23 pm }

Polly – Thanks heaps. After MC the doors are ‘unlocked’ to opportunity, but you do need to knock on those doors.

I am working very hard at this and I know I will be successful; for me food is a genuine passion and I really want to share it with others (hence the book).

Also being a qualified financial adviser doesn’t hurt when employing negotiating or financial skills to the food industry.

I guess it’s like any industry:- work hard, be passionate and honest, and people will notice you, with success coming after that.

You don’t get something for nothing in this world.

I will create some recipes just for you guys and post when I get time. Bread anyone… Lol!

Cheers, Filippo. πŸ˜‰

44 A.P { 11.22.12 at 8:26 pm }

JStar @89, thanks for clearing that up, I was madly trying to find your questions and comments to Filippo until you said they had gone straight to spam. At least Filippo got to see it!
Looking forward to your Survivor recap.