The Block – Dan and Dani Interview – Styling More Important Than Renovation.

The Block is getting to the pointy end of the competition, with the finale airing on 1 July at 6.30pm. This episode will go for two hours. This year as always it is hard to pick who is going to win as it will depend on the reserve price that is set.

However Dan and Dani must be up with a chance to take out the prize. I was lucky enough to speak to them to talk about their chances, how style is so important to get the room win, what it is like being on a reality show, and what it was like being cast as the villains.

RR:You have won the most rooms so far do you think that makes you the favourites to win The Block?

Dan: I wouldn’t say favourites, but I would say we are in contention, to be honest I think having the biggest house which Brad and Lara have, is a massive advantage over the the rest of us.

Dani: Brad and Lara a probably are the favourites. Last year Josh and Jenna won the most rooms and they were the favourites to win but didn’t. Judges opinions are often different to the publics. Don’t know if you could call us favourites but we are definitely in the running.

RR: How important is style to winning the room?

Dani: Unfortunately it is pretty much  the main factor behind winning the room. There is design, styling and execution so when the judges walk into a room the first thing they see is the styling. It is unfortunate we are on a renovation show but is largely about first impression of when the judges walk into a room which is mostly based on styling and design.

RR: The viewer at homes sees all the teams  struggling with budgets, and then we see people buying a $500 cushion or really expensive sheets. Do you believe it can win a room?

Dani: I do believe it can win a room. Every week they demand quality furnishings and quality finishes. I know this sounds awful but you don’t see a room win with cheap curtains hanging. It is unfortunate. It’s a catch-22 situation where we have these small budgets to get these houses completed but the judges want the quality products in the houses. Come auction day it is something to think about. Some people argue that it is largely people buying a house. Yes they are buying a house but they are also buying everything it in that house. And if we are renovating $1 million homes and the shell is amazing but what is inside is not up to scratch then it  is probably not going to appeal as much.

RR: You guys appear to be this seasons “villains”, which I don’t think it is a negative thing as it gets you lots of screen time, and people will actually remember you, but was it does appear you were a bit isolated from the other teams that you weren’t in that clique. How was that for you guys?

Dan: I do believe we were isolated from everyone else, and to be honest I am not sure why. It did not really effect us we just worried about what was going on at our site.

Dani: I think at sometimes I felt little left out of the loop as there were only three girls on site and if two of them are more cliquey and one doesn’t really like you at all it is a little bit tough at times and that is where Dan and I just stuck together and got it done and we didn’t worry what was going on at the other houses, we were only focused on what was going on in our house. We won a bit of money at the start maybe that put a bit of a rift between us and the other couples. We have all had this brilliant experience, and we get on despite what gets written in the papers. We are all friends and we have got this great experience we have had together.

RR: When I saw Mike and Andrew as an all male team that have done some renovation on the Block I thought they were going to have a big advantage over everyone else. Two people who hand do the physical hard yakka. Why do they never get their rooms finished on time.

Dan: (laughs) Hilarious the two boys….  They do have an advantage having renovated before…

Dani: at they same time they just mull around.

Dan: They were always late for everything the boys.

Dani: No urgency until the hour before room reveal.

Dan: They seemed to stay up all night and sleep all day which I don’t see the point of.

Dani: They are a strange pair those two. We always used to laugh at them being the most unorganised come room delivery time.

Dan: You have to put the hours in at the start of the week. If you don’t do that you are going to find it hard at the end of the week.

RR: You were on a reality TV show. Were there some things that occurred that opened your eyes to how a reality TV show is actually filmed and contrived?

Dani: For sure. If we go to a shop we have to do the walk in five times so they can get every camera angle. Stuff like that, which the viewer does not realise. When we came home and were watching other reality TV shows, we were like “Oh my God look at how that camera is positioned.”

Dan: How long it takes to do a challenge on the building side of things and it is over in an hour or half an hour and it takes us 15 hours to do.

Dani: And also just the way they can portray a character on teh show. It is all fun and games really but it is interesting definitely seeing that side of it.

RR: Would you go on another reality TV show?

Dan: In a heartbeat.

Dani: Maybe if it was something meaningful not just a … I don’t know….maybe.

Dan: It was such a great experience and it tests your character out when you are put in these situations you are not used to. It is a great opportunity for anyone and if we got the opportunity again I would definitely do it.

RR: What about something like The Amazing Race?

Dani: I would love to do The Amazing Race.

Dan: We love travelling and we actually think we would be OK at it.

Below are pictures of their first two room wins, and now they have fixed up their hallway they should have a real chance of winning.

The Block airs on NINE Sunday to Friday at 7.00pm

1 sue N { 06.20.12 at 5:53 pm }

I really hope they don’t win- just my personal opinion, but I am not a fan of them, or some of their “style”…

2 brain dead dave { 06.20.12 at 6:28 pm }

Why are they $hitting themselves about Brad and Lara? They’re just bogans from Adelaide, like me…..except I’m not as fat and dumb as Brad.

I’ve always thought Dan looks like Pat Cash… bet he gets that a lot. Ch 9 have given massive screen time to Dani’s denim shorts, so they can’t complain.

3 suziwong66 { 06.20.12 at 8:32 pm }

“We won a bit of money at the start maybe that put a bit of a rift between us and the other couples.”…actually it wasn’t winning the money that created the rift; it was D & D’s lack of respect for fair play/competition rules that created the rift.

Dani’s behaviour has progressively gotten worse; she treats Dan awfully and has no respect for anyone else – she’s not likeable at all and hilariously can’t see it.

4 sue N { 06.20.12 at 10:49 pm }

BDD I agree re Dan looking like Pat Cash, he’s also a bit thick re women, wasn’t Pat Cash also??? 😉 Tonight was such an enjoyable show- nah nah, Dani- karma’s a b!tch. I will be happy if anyone bar D&D win! P.S. RR- are you interviewing the other couples too please?

5 brain dead dave { 06.21.12 at 9:39 am }

sue N, Pat Cash trashed a hotel room here after losing a tennis match, so they both know how to destroy a room.

6 Lebay { 06.21.12 at 9:48 am }

Can not stand Dani, you can argue editing all you like, but she says what she says – its not spliced together Homer Simpson and the Gummy Venus de Milo style….

7 sue N { 06.21.12 at 6:49 pm }

lol BDD- & I needed a laugh today :)

8 smauge { 06.21.12 at 7:58 pm }

Dan looks like Alan Didak (google him if you don’t know him).
If you call your husband an idiot and tell him to shut up every single show, editing can’t help you love!

9 sue N { 06.22.12 at 9:45 am }

smauge- exactly… 😉

10 brain dead dave { 06.22.12 at 9:56 am }

Both Alan Didak and Dan have got groin injuries . Didak’s torn a muscle playing footy and Dan’s has had his balls ripped out by Dani.

11 drb123 { 06.22.12 at 4:12 pm }

Editing can only make you look so bad or so good. She seems to give them plenty to work with. She is so painful that, despite her being particularly good looking, I wouldn’t want to date her

12 smauge { 06.22.12 at 10:07 pm }

An ugly personality will always overshadow a pretty face. And visa versa.

13 Blonde but no Bimbo { 06.26.12 at 11:39 am }

drb123 – you think Dani is “particularly good looking” ? Allow me to disagree, I’m sorry Dani, but your boyfriend is way too gorgeous for you.

14 drb123 { 06.26.12 at 1:16 pm }

Blonde but no Bimbo – I do think she is good looking, perhaps not particularly good looking. Given I have no attraction to Lara, and had to be convinced that Sophie wasn’t just wearing ill-fitting dentures, it may be I find her to be the best of a dud bunch

15 Arrgghh { 06.26.12 at 8:17 pm }

Tonight Dan suddenly get confrontational with Brad over a barbeque. Yet week after week he has appeared to let his life partner behave inexplicably and apart from a brief blow out or too she seems to be running the show argh enough of her verbal spillages & tantrums

16 brain dead dave { 06.26.12 at 9:45 pm }

Blokes fighting over a barbeque. This won a Logie last year, right?

17 Dez { 06.27.12 at 10:42 pm }

I Love Dani!!! I think she’s hilarious and her and Dani make such a good couple I thinks.

18 Dez { 06.27.12 at 10:42 pm }

Ooops meant Dan

19 Sal { 07.02.12 at 12:11 pm }

The very fact that Dani thinks she and Dan were on the outer because they won “a fair bit of money” at the beginning just shows her total lack of ability to fit into normal society! It was her attitude and her foul mouth which put others offside and her absolute bitchiness not only to Dan but to the other contestants which created the barrier!

20 Sarah { 01.26.13 at 10:30 pm }

Lara was a jealous bitch who wanted to be besties wtih Sophie. That’s what the whole rift boiled down to. It was Lara who started with all the bitchy comments, not Dani, and she deliberately isolated Dani and made snarky comments about her spending. It was none of Lara’s business as to what Dani spent her winnings on! Then Lara would just cry to try and win the sympathy vote. I love Dan and Dani, they’re honest, real and not fake. And I’d do the same thing as them over the tiles as well, the rest of you are just lying to yourselves. Dani and Dani had one of the most beautifully designed houses, no mistake.