Masterchef Australia – Both Ben And Emma Should Have Been Eliminated

For the first time in few episodes it was good to see  judge Gary Mehigan bring out his inner arsehole when a debacle ensued after Ben and Emma both landed in the elimination cook off.

Gary said “Why would you do that – it is ridiculous”. Exactly. It was a farce. Ben and Emma both landed in the bottom two because they could not identify Sacher Torte and they both fell apart.

Are Ben and Emma romancing? I know that she said that he was like a big brother, but do you see Venus and Serena Williams sobbing when going head to head in a tennis match? No they are trying to win.

It is interesting how what you feel about contestants changes from week to week. Ben has gone down in my estimation, whilst this week Jules has gone up.

Anyway more on the Ben and Emma dramatics later in the recap.

It was a two part elimination challenge. The first part was for contestants to identify cakes laid out. The first two who got it wrong would be in the cook off which would see one gone.

Kylie went first, and she identified a carrot cake, with the judges smiling at her indulgently. Beau picked fruit cake. Then Debra named a Victoria Sponge Cake was it too much information? No. Ben picked the New York Cheesecake, Wade the Red Velvet and Tregan the Black Forest Cake.

Then it was Emma’s turn as she selected one of the many chocolate cakes on the table, she cut it open but said it was chocolate mud. Wrong! She was into the elimination cook off. Off course she sobbed.

Amina was smart enough to go for the obvious and went for the Orange Poppyseed Cake and also managed to get a quip in about how she had never cooked it but eaten kilos of it. Seriously not going to be happy if she does not make top ten.

Kylie picked marble cake, and Debra went with the Flourless Orange Cake and then Ben decided to go with the cake Emma had selected.

He was stumped and went with Devil Chocolate Cake, and he was told he was also in the elimination.

Now we were never actually told the cake was a Sacher Torte but it looked like it. Nor because of the drama were we told what the other cakes were which was a bit of bummer, but I did think I spotted a tea cake and a Hummingbird Cake in the mix.

Ben was not happy about having to cook off against one of his best mates, and looked like he was going to fall on his sword saying he was in the competition to learn and he could do that outside, whereas Emma was there to win.

If Ben cannot see after months of filming that Emma does not have a chance of winning he is not that bright.

Tregan and and a few others called out “Don’t do it” when they thought Ben was going to leave. Then Beau steps up and offers to stand in for Emma.

Cut all their heads off I say if they don’t want to be there. Isn’t there some clause in their contracts that say that if they don’t act in the spirit of the competition they can be punted. If not put it in with a financial penalty.

Tregan got it right when she said “We have jumpers left and right… This is craziness.”

Gary looking pissed told Beau it was not in the rules and he could not do that. Also Ben was told off-camera that if he pulled out another of the contestants would have to step in.

Quite frankly if they had eliminated both and if that meant I had to sit through 20 minutes of test pattern I would have been fine with that.

However obviously someone had given Ben a slap off -camera and in the cake cook-off he produced a very nice Raspberry Mojito Cake. He also gave the Network the opportunity to show another close up of Lorraine Pasquale cleavage when he said he was trying to apply what she was teaching them about cake decorating but his mind had gone blank that day as he had just watched her.

Emma was eliminated on her Raspberry Coconut Cake, and there were no tears shed by the viewer as she was shedding enough for both of us.

She is currently working in a Patisserie.

1 Nonny { 06.23.12 at 5:02 pm }

I can’t say I’m going to miss Emma, I just wish the two boys has followed. It was paternalism dressed up as chivalry. Emma is a big girl, perfectly capable of standing on her own two feet and competing. She’s done it before, and, if she hadn’t bombed out, she would have done it again.

2 Georgie { 06.23.12 at 5:09 pm }

Gary is certainly developing his very own version of obese. Instead of his jowls drooping or eyes closing up, his neck is actually disappearing. Reminds me of Gladstone Small.

3 rockabilly kitchen hand { 06.24.12 at 12:19 am }

the Sacher Torte is distinctive for one thing that was MISSING from the cake on Masterchef. The name “Sacher” is written on it with icing. either in one spot, across the top or as small icing medallions indicating each slice that can be cut from the cake. Where was the name on the cake on masterchef? If they had clearly obvious cakes such as the orange and poppy seed and RED VELVET cake, then having the Sacher ontop of the cake wouldnt of been too bad to have. There were plenty more cakes on the bench that could of stuffed people up. Im pretty sure i saw a Dobos Torte that unless u are hungarian or familiar with cakes, most people would of been stumped.

4 EH { 06.24.12 at 8:38 am }

rockabilly kitchen hand – Interesting observations. Are you refering to multi layer cake as the dobos torte? I was tossing between dobos torte & gateau opera but I think it was an opera cake because dobos torte is usually covered with buttercream (the layers would be seen until you cut into it) and coated with nuts and top with caramel shards.

5 EH { 06.24.12 at 8:43 am }

Correction: Dobos torte is usually cover in buttercream and the layers would not be seen until you cut into it.

6 Marie { 06.24.12 at 11:40 am }

The sachertorte would be difficult to identify if you had not eaten it before. I believe when I ate it in Vienna it was quite a dry cake and very dense and not really sweet. The main clue would have to be the apricot conserve but that addition couldn’t have been very distinct in the one on MC!

7 Marie { 06.24.12 at 11:42 am }

Oh, and I agree it looked like an opera cake EH. I am surprised no one tried to guess the Battenberg myself.

8 littlepetal { 06.24.12 at 11:51 am }

Here is a shot of all the cakes I got from corner cafe website

No 7 will be the Opera cake. 29 will be a banana cake, 19 is a pandan chiffon cake

9 Marie { 06.24.12 at 12:13 pm }

Interesting, thanks littlepetal (although now I am craving cake). Is 1 a specific type of bundt cake or just ‘bundt cake’? I was wondering on the night how specific the contestants had to be. for instance would Victoria Cake and Victoria Sponge both have been correct?

10 littlepetal { 06.24.12 at 12:38 pm }

I think No 1 is a German GUGELHUPF CAKE, slightly different from the bundt cake (just the shape of the cake tin)

Not sure how specific you need to be. I guess it all depends on which contestant is naming the cake.

11 EH { 06.24.12 at 1:09 pm }

Thanks Littlepetal for the link. Wow, I must now down to the knowledge and effort of the blogger! Marie, #1 kugelhopf is a yeast cake, different from bunt cake.

All the chocolate cakes are hard to guess unless we have tasted them.

#6 is Dobos torte, I didn’t spot it during the show & #7 is gâteau opera.

I have no idea about #8 and would love find out what this cake is. It has figs & chopped pistachio.

I am guessing #9 is Bavarian cake over Gâteau Fraisier or are they the same?

No idea about #10 unless I have tasted it. Looks like chilled cheesecake with cinnamon/nutmeg powder? Weird combo I know.

#19 Pandan cake. Not sure sponge or chiffon but looking at the shape, should be Pandan sponge cake as Bread Top sells the exact same one. They might have bought it from their shop.

#21 I am guessing they are Welsh cakes.

Hard to have a definite answers on some of them without tasting.

12 EH { 06.24.12 at 1:20 pm }

Littlepetal – I think #29 is hummingbird cake because it has pineapples in the topping. I am guessing #21 is a banana cake.

The blogger has named most of cakes on their blog:

1. Kugelhopf (Gugelhupf)
2. Flourless Orange Cake
3. Nid d’Abeilles or Bienenstich (Bee Sting Cake)
4. Orange Poppy Seed Cake
5. Mississippi Mud Cake?/Devil’s Food Cake?
6. Dobos Torte
7. Gâteau Opera
8. ?
9. Gâteau Fraisier? (I am guessing Bavarian cake)
10. Chilled Cheesecake?
11. Black Forest Cherry Cake
12. Red Velvet Cake
13. Fruit Cake
14. Madeira Cake?
15. Marble Cake
16. Gâteau Diabolo?
17. ?
18. Gâteau Basque?
19. Pound Cake? (I am guessing pandan sponge/chiffon cake)
20. ? (I am guessing Welsh cakes)
21. ? (I am guessing banana cake)
22. Battenburg Cake
23. ?
24. New York Cheesecake
25. Sachertorte
26. Victoria Sponge Sandwich
27. Carrot Cake
28. ?
29. Hummingbird Cake
30. Upside-Down Pineapple Cake
31. Gâteau Concord

13 EH { 06.24.12 at 1:23 pm }

Sorry, errors in post #111:

Now down should be bow down.

#20 is Welsh cakes (not #21).

14 littlepetal { 06.24.12 at 4:12 pm }

Well done, EH

15 librarygirl { 06.24.12 at 4:17 pm }

OH I LOVE BEE STING – this post has made me want some now.

16 Erin { 06.24.12 at 4:21 pm }

I feel Emma was a bit immature to cope with the intensity of the compertition – with a bit of time and less pressure I think she can grow to be a good cook, without cameras around her all the time. I think the producers should watch out for things like that when selecting people.

For some reason this episode reminded me of The Hunger Games – “I volunteer” and the judges getting mad when they aren’t completely incontrol. haha

Did anyone catch what Ben said at the very end to Emma (after the subtitles, that wasn’t subtitled) it sounded almost like “If I was 24.” or “At least you made the 24”?

17 brain dead dave { 06.24.12 at 4:25 pm }

Emma could have won Junior Ma$terchef, it would have been a better option for her.

18 littlepetal { 06.24.12 at 6:14 pm }

Some of the kids from Junior Masterchef can bake better than Emma

19 Ash { 06.24.12 at 9:16 pm }

I’m watching this episode now, and I’m only just up to the part where Ben is told he’s in the second round and Emma’s reaction is just embarassing, like ffs it’s not THAT bad that you have to compete against a mate, it’s a COMPETITION!! Anyone would think someone had died the way she dramatically broke down, I’d hate to see what reaction a real disaster would ellicit.

20 Cheryl { 06.24.12 at 10:36 pm }

#10 looked like a French vanilla cheesecake from The Cheesecake Shop. Chilled, slight lemon flavour, nutmeg on top.

21 Marie { 06.24.12 at 10:36 pm }

In regards to tonights episode: I don’t care what Kylie’s dish reportedly tastes like. All I know is I have an apple crumble baking and I went from eager anticipation to not wanting to eat at all after hearing her dish described.

22 Calvin { 06.26.12 at 8:49 pm }

You know I think to make an elimination where there is a line and contestants do things in order like naming pasta, cakes or poultry and guessing ingredients contained in a recipe fairer they should place the best performers in the team challenge first in line and the least performers last in line . That way people don’t get an easy way out and go near the beginning of the line and also what was up with that STUPID perfect steak round in Tassie you could just wait until 4 people failed before you and you’d be safe! I’m glad they didn’t eliminate Sam or Andy. That just wasn’t fair!

23 KAHKASHAN HASAN(INDIA) { 10.15.12 at 12:01 am }

I LOVE ANDY ALLEN FROM THE TIME I SAW HIM IN MASTERCHEF AUSTRALIA-4 IF POSSIBLE PLEASE GIVE ME HIS PERSONAL NUMBER AND TELL HIM THAT I LOVE HIM LIKE MADE. PLZ CONTACT ME IN-9051733080

24 lady lulu { 10.24.12 at 2:48 am }

I must be the only person on the planet who actually found this episode really moving! I thought Ben’s offer was really sweet and genuine. Ok, yes Emma is an emotional person but I think she was well liked by the others and is far less bitchy than many of the other contestants. Come on! She is young in comparison. The pressure must be immense on screen and off. Give them a break :-)

25 Dianne { 11.13.13 at 2:47 am }

We’ve currently got your 2012 series. Who knew Aussies could weep that much? HTFU, Emma. She’d have lasted three seconds in MY family! I wonder if she’s embarrassed now?