Masterchef Australia – The Christine Mansfield Pressure Test

Did anyone else get the feeling that good bloke Sam wasn’t that popular in the house?

Well Kylie said that he was like a big brother to her but she was not yelling out whilst he was cooking. Nor was Alice who said she had noticed his stock boiling too rapidly but had not wanted to distract him.

Never known her to be so restrained.

Also it was noted that Mindy yelled out to Andrew to tell him that he had not put the chilli garnish on his dish. Clearly she had forgotten that Amina was one of the people that helped her get that all important immunity pin. She also hugged Andrew first when he came back into the house.

Amina, Andrew and Sam were battling it out to stay in the competition in the pressure test, having to cook Christine Mansfield Smoked River Trout and Mussels with Tumeric and Lemongrass Broth.

But first Amina confessed that she had a “friend” who had the hots for Matt Preston and that she wanted a cravat so she could sleep with it. I actually hope it was a friend as apparently they also have the hots of Margaret Fulton. Maybe she needs to find some a new friend.

Quite correctly Matt said that it creeped him out.

Andrew was choking up talking about his children and he also described the broth of the dish beautiful like his wife. So there you go the 100 or so people who have hit this blog today after googling “Andrew Masterchef Gay”. Though there is probably more now after Andrew did nothing to dispel the gay rumours after he caressed Wade’s face at the end of the episode.

And Sam was just pumped that he was in a pressure test as it had been something he had been looking forward to.

As with any Christine Mansfield dish nothing was simple. There is 40 odd ingredients. and they only had two hours to do it in.

There was stock to make, fish to fillet and to smoke.

Andrew as quietly freaking out about the filleting of the fish as he had not done it since he was seven. This might qualify him for EH’s list of things contestants have said they have not done? Or does he avoid it on a technicality?

Gary Mehigan was actually quite nice to him and gave him some advice on how to do it. Something that Amina could have done with as she hacked at her fish.

However she wielded her smoker well as it was a mix of an enema tube, and a hookah pipe. By the way who makes those smokers had awesome product placement. They are the croquembouche tin of this season, they will be sold out by the end of this week.

Sam was having a disaster as things kept on flying off his bench. He was helped by Christine with the cut of his tomatoes as well as his consistency of his spice paste.
Christine created a bit of frission by also going up to the balcony, with Debra more sparky than has been seen for quite some time.

At judging time it was good to see George dishing it out, not Christine.

Sam was first and Matt Preston gave him the hard arse pressure test grilling. He said you came here with a brand as being Sam the meat guy. However he also said whenever he cooked meat it was a disaster. That was a bit harsh.

Matt continued “I want to see the real Sam and not the Sam you want to show people.” Apparently when he cooks from the heart it is much better. Personally I think they cook better when they use their heads….

Christine said it looked good but the stock was a little cloudy.

Gary thought the stock was overpowering the fish, and Christine pointed out that it had been cooked at too high a temperature. Matt also said there was no smokiness of the fish.

It was then Amina’s turn for the questions. Gary asked Amina whether she would leave nursing for food. She said yes and looked inspired by Christine Mansfield saying she changed careers mid-thirties from teaching to food.

Gary liked the smokiness of the fish and the broth.

Andrew said he was getting addicted to the adrenalin, however Matt said don’t get addicted to the black apron.

His presentation was an issue as per usual. There was too much broth and there were beards on mussels, however the judges liked the flavour of his broth. In fact he was the first that was safe.

And after some tension Sam was told he was gone. There were few tears shed by either Sam or his fellow contestants that he was gone.

He is organising a food and wine tour of Europe, which must dovetail with his girlfriend going to the Olympics and he hopes to open a wine bar in the future.

1 brain dead dave { 06.26.12 at 3:51 pm }

I hope that the “hot” feedback doesn’t go to Jowl$y’s head and result in the publication of calendars, releasing of signature fragrances and so on.

2 Jruth { 06.26.12 at 4:10 pm }

Rightly or wrongly, Andrew does set off my gaydar. I tend to find that male hairdressers who are straight tend to act over-the-top super hetero, so that it’s obvious that they like women not men, because they get sick of people assuming they must be gay. So when a male hairdresser is so campy, it makes me think that its for a reason, no matter how many children or wives he has.

My gay friends tell me that Andrew is definitely a “stag” (short for straight-acting gay) even though he seems to want us to believe that he’s a “gate” (gay-acting straight)…

3 brain dead dave { 06.26.12 at 4:22 pm }

It only seems right to call this ratings attracting confusion Stag- gate. I can’t believe it’s not butter.

$hine would be loving it. Australian lounge rooms must be divided over who Andrew bats for in this prestigious cooking competition..

Is Amina Gina Rinehart in a hijab is my latest concern.

4 Daze { 06.26.12 at 4:38 pm }

Jruth – two new sayings Ive not heard of; excellent! stage and gate what a doozy! I don’t think Andrew knows what he is. Constag or Congate as in confused either or?

No bdd, please no, perfumes or calendars forthcoming from MattP – maybe he’s not feeling the love from G&G? He did lose 10kg before this season set off I read? Whaaaaaaat happened?
And, you are possibly quite correct, Amina Gina is quite a concern!

5 Daze { 06.26.12 at 4:40 pm }

EH; great to read that link – fancy that – well we sort of knew – you can’t hide body language and I suppose George didn’t want to put the effort in because Sam really wasn’t sure what he wanted to do having left banking?

6 brain dead dave { 06.26.12 at 4:50 pm }

Yes EH, thanks for Sam’s post cull spew.

7 EH { 06.26.12 at 4:59 pm }

Gary responded to another Sam’s post cull spew (love it BDD!) on Twitter:

@crispycrackling: Aahh, come on Sammy you were our big “silverback” our alpha male. Are you beating your chest? It’s ok we still love you http://dailytelegraph.com.au/entertainment/sydney-confidential/too-much-stirring-up-in-kitchen-as-masterchef-judges-need-to-tone-down-the-drama/story-e6frewz0-1226408354693

8 dan { 06.26.12 at 5:07 pm }

He is as gay as it gets. Marriage is just PR for him. He’s a hairdresser and displays some of the most camp idiosyncrasies. A ring don’t mean a thing.

9 brain dead dave { 06.26.12 at 5:18 pm }

Sam was just hissing at the judges and glossing over the food he made… like the awful proscuitto wraps and the crumbling bread rolls.

Jowl$y ripped into him and he had nothing except the same kind of repeated culinary cliches that he criticised the stooges for. Julia might have got on the front before Jowl$y unloaded.

I rather fancy that a silverback could prepare a meal without sweating into it, to boot.

10 DD { 06.26.12 at 5:24 pm }

Just saw Andrew’s video on his profile. His wife is astonishingly beautiful — classically beautiful.

As for whether or not Andrew is gay, there are men out there who seem gay but aren’t — and vice versa (e.g. big Kev). And, as someone commented on earlier, there are bisexuals…

Thanks for the blog, RR. I love coming here when Masterchef is on.

11 Isabel { 06.26.12 at 5:35 pm }

You are funny BBD – I also remember you from Monty’s blog – he just disappeared, what happened to him?

As for Andrew – well he walks, talks and has all the mannerisms of a stag-gate? – well he has a very gay manner – and he says he does all his best work with his back against the wall – thank goodness for that.

And who on earth could think Matt was hot – as Amina said that I just looked at his great big fat gut hanging over his pants, and thought WTF. And the same person thinking Margaret Fulton is also hot!! Horrors!

12 Culinary Boner { 06.26.12 at 5:38 pm }

Chunks, thanks for the tip about Manfield’s Indian cookbook. Sounds worth a look. My scars from previously trying to cook her stuff are probably well healed by now. Though I reckon one of her harder Asian fusion dishes would a great Top Chef challenge and would have a lot of American chefs going into a tail-spin.

13 brain dead dave { 06.26.12 at 6:03 pm }

Thanks Isabel(61), seemed to me like Monty disappeared suddenly, too. I think he was writing speeches for a NSW State politician for a while, more recently he’s in the personal trainer caper/business. He and wife have got two kids now, I think, one of each.

Andrew’s against the wall comment raised eyebrows here, too.

Anyone remember the reality dating show “Playing It Straight”, where the chick has to choose a straight guy out of a pack of mixed gay and straight suitors? Made for Andrew.

14 Jruth { 06.26.12 at 6:05 pm }

I should add that Andrew is my favourite contestant and I was so pleased he was safe last night. But then again, I’m a complete fag-hag! 😉

15 down with an ear infection { 06.26.12 at 6:42 pm }

I agree with the comments about Andrew and find him very queer, I feel the judges dont like him and do have their favourites which aint right. Omg how annoying is Mindy I actually liked her and was so happy she got the pin that others won for her but now she looks like and acts like a shark lol dunno why she reminds me of jaws.

16 Ash { 06.26.12 at 6:47 pm }

Wtf is with Alice and her sudden ‘I’m jewish, I’m jewish, look look’ behaviour?? Ever since she said ‘I’m schvitzing’ in the Hindu wedding challenge I’ve been cringing and now suddenly it’s jew-palooza with this girl. She seems so irritatingly fake I want to punch her into reality!

17 down with an ear infection { 06.26.12 at 7:54 pm }

Ash- I dont think sh is jewish coz she ate pork and please do punch her lols

18 Jess { 06.26.12 at 8:22 pm }

Yeah, I was wondering about Alice’s apparent Jewishness, too…
She is from Georgia, and Georgia has had an exodus of sorts of its Jewish population over the past twenty years. Many Jews aren’t especially observant either, so she might be okay with eating pork.
She might just be framing herself as the anti-Amina~ who knows?

19 littlepetal { 06.26.12 at 8:56 pm }
20 librarygirl { 06.26.12 at 10:03 pm }

Ready to smack Matt Moran after tonight’s ep.

21 brain dead dave { 06.26.12 at 10:22 pm }

$hine have a nerve to put the whole episode to air, especially the lame segment with the three stooges arguing like seagulls over a chip at their arty farty tasting tonight.

“Which dish would you choose?”, bleats George. Of course, the reality is that Jowl$y would leave nothing to chance and left to his own devices, would have generous lashings of both.

$hine hate the viewers so much , they won’t even edit out the unbearable sound of felt pen on cardboard as the stooges score the cold dishes they’ve just tasted.

22 down with an ear infection { 06.26.12 at 10:36 pm }

Jess- lols

EH- another to your list Tregan- I have never made tortillini b4

Wow how kaniving is Julia I mean serving a burnt tart how low is that, if I were Tregan thank god Im not I would not pick her for Julia is very sly it took me back to when she chose the cactus
because she knew it be hard to cook and then ended up in bottom 3 herself.

23 down with an ear infection { 06.26.12 at 10:41 pm }

woopsie I think its spelled conniving.

24 Marie { 06.26.12 at 11:57 pm }

I was laughing at Kylie helping the pro chef (forgotten his name already), reminding him to make raisins the center point and cheering them on. Not so keen to see Tregan with an amunity pin, Kylie?

I felt bad for Jules, she did not want to poach the chicken and was bullied into it then reprimanded for doing it wrong. I don’t think either she or Julia were out to sabotage but it is getting to the stage of the competition where these group immunity challenges raise some questions…

I think it was a travesty that Tregan’s pasta won the entree round. The cauliflower salad was proclaimed the best food cooked in the Masterchef kitchen? Could it really be SOOO undermined by ‘unnecessary’ additions?

25 Robbo { 06.27.12 at 9:47 am }

In the preview for tonight they show three teams of four, Red, Blue and Yellow. Ben and Audra are both missing. Does anybody know what is happening here? Do they both get the night off because they are sick or something?

26 Morgan { 06.27.12 at 10:29 am }

I’m guessing there might have been a challenge before the actual challenge, and the winners must get to bypass the team challenge and the elimination after it. Or both Ben and Audra got sick. Or smashed their fingers in glass doors. 😛