Masterchef Australia – Ironic Who Was In The Bottom Three

Sorry guys, yes I am still sick, and clearly must have a temperature as last night I had a saucy dream about Masterchef judge, Gary Mehigan, I will not confirm whether he was in fact naked,  however the dream went on forever…. and no that was not positive thing. I am trying to find some sort of irony in it but unfortunately cannot.

However it was ironic last night that the three girls who had been behind the debacle that was the immunity pin challenge on Tuesday were the final three battling it out for survival. No surprise as they were highlighted in the opening montage when Julia, Jules and Tregan were shot in their bedroom saying no one had been eliminated from the room.

Also the hint in these Thursday episodes is also in the contestants they don’t showcase. Before they even kicked off the challenge I presumed Debra, Alice and Andy were safe.

Last night the elimination challenge was again an entertaining one. It was split into three sections. The first was to select eight ingredients from the bench and had to use all of them in a dish with only 30 minutes to produce it in.

The kicker there was there only a finite number of ingredients on the bench and once someone had them another person could not use them in that challenge or any of the following ones.

And Julia was not happy that Debra had managed to grab the butter and stopped her from making the dish she had wanted to. In the end she used cream in her biscuit part of her strawberry shortcake something that did not work.

Mindy made thai style mussel dish with tamarind and coconut the judges loved it, as they did like Andy’s Scallops with Corn Puree and a Raisin Vinaigrettes. Good to know someone was inspired by the immunity pin raisin challenge and the team challenge…

Andy was safe as was Amina with her Okra Stew with Prawns. Unlucky for Tregan and Jules who just missed out with their steak and duck breast dishes. How Tregan managed to cook beetroot and the steak plus cry in a 30 minute time frame was truly multi-tasking.

Alice made a huge strategical error by making a Greek Salad, it was not deemed to show any cooking technique and was told straight away she would be in the next round.

The next round with the remaining five contestants was to cook a dish with five ingredients in 30 minutes. Deb cooked pork meatballs with fennel and apple and did a good job considering she had never cooked with pork mince before.

Alice made confit of salmon as she wanted to show some technique, again she had not done this before, however it looked great considering she only had 30 minutes to do it in. She was safe.

Julia made a chocolate fig dessert with fried rice noodles for crunch. It did not look that appetising.

Tregan made chicken breast with chorizo in white beans which got the same feedback as Alice’s Greek Salad in round one. They said it was not the type of dish that would make her Masterchef, that is does not show enough technique. Jule’s pork chop was cooked well but it was queried whether the Wombok went with the other ingredients in the European style dish.

Debra and Alice were safe and sent up to the balcony.

Then it was best mates in the house Julia, Jules and Tregan duking it out. Please note Ben no one were trying to fall on their sword for each other, they were going to be cooking their hearts out.

They had to make a dish with three ingredients in 30 minutes something that was hard enough with a the full pick of the pantry not just picking at the left overs on the kitchen bench.

Julia picked bacon eggplant and zucchini and she showed she could cook with her humdinger of a Zucchini Salad with eggplant and bacon puree. As the judges said it tasted like there were more than three ingredients in it.

Tregan was in a flap as she did not know what she was picking and was getting advice from the balcony – always a bad sign.

They told her to go for the fish which was a leather jacket, she also grabbed the lemon grass to go with it. However then she changed her mind and grabbed a chump lamb chop with potato and sage.

Jules did better by grabbing Morton Bay bugs some carrots and ginger. She made the carrots three ways so even if there was possibly too much ginger in the carrot it probably got her over the line.

It was no surprise that Tregan was eliminated. She looks like she has a great family who were all there to greet her on her return from the show, however they made her cook! Tregan is currently working in a cafe/deli but still wants to work teaching underprivileged men how to cook. I hope she does end up doing those workshops as it would be extremely worthwhile.

1 brain dead dave { 06.29.12 at 2:45 pm }

I loved the bit where Lara asked her brother what he was doing on that day and he’s:
“Duh…I might go and hang out at Bondi ..derr.” No one home.

I think Hermione’s trying to let him down gently before the midnight creeps start but he’s not quick on the uptake.

2 Culinary Boner { 06.29.12 at 2:47 pm }

Alas Georgie, gaining a ‘reference’ from Ajay reference remains, like Raver’s dalliance with Gary, a dream. Though fortunately not a nightmare.

3 Dunbi { 06.29.12 at 6:25 pm }

I noticed Tregan didn’t go up to George, Gary or Mat to give them a hug or just a handshake when she left.

4 Andy Pandy { 06.29.12 at 6:41 pm }

Yes, I noticed that too Dunbi, she obviously wasn’t feeling the love. Also, just remembered it was quite funny when Matt Cravat told Deb that if she was a vegetable, she would definitely be a leek! I wonder what vegetable the other contestants would be? Maybe Okra for Amina? Treagan could be a potato? I will have to think about the rest.

5 Sioux Denim { 06.29.12 at 6:48 pm }

Heh Andy Pandy – it was actually fennel – thought it a tad weird myself!

Jules would be a carrot! Similar to her fake tan actually – oooh ah!

6 Andy Pandy { 06.29.12 at 7:00 pm }

Oh yeah, thats right, who was the leek then? I remember someone being into leeks. Good one for Jules, Maybe a cauliflower for Fillipo, don’t know why, just seems to suit him.

7 EH { 06.29.12 at 7:28 pm }

Haha Andy Pandy, your list is going to be hilarious!

Mindy – ‘Beautiful’ lemongrass (tall & lean)

8 brain dead dave { 06.29.12 at 7:43 pm }

A vegetable with eyebrows….sounds just like Wade.

9 Mike { 06.29.12 at 7:59 pm }

http://www.downundertv.net/ is where I get my episodes while I am out of the country.

10 Morgan { 06.29.12 at 9:03 pm }

I think Tregan was starting to outstay her welcome, so I can’t say I’m sad to see her go, I don’t think she deserved to win the Dude Food Invention Test either.

Three contestants leave next week, I’m praying like mad that Andrew and Debra are part of that three, along with either Wade or Jules (they’re not bad cooks, they just don’t strike me as very interesting ones) and we have quite possibly the strongest looking Top 10 this show has seen.

11 Jruth { 06.29.12 at 9:22 pm }

RR – I used to lust after Heston, but it stopped after I found out he was a cheater. He seems so clean-cut that it just didn’t sit right with me. Marco-Pierre seems like a real bad boy, but in a good way, and I’d love to have him bossing me about in the kitchen! Grrr!

12 EH { 06.29.12 at 9:52 pm }

Now I am doubting myself. Was I day dreaming or was it really Marco Pierre White that they announced/showed in the preview last night after Heston? Or was it another chef ? I was checking EPG but couldn’t find his name in any episode.

13 littlepetal { 06.29.12 at 9:54 pm }

EH- I just posted in the other thread. I can’t believe that we are both from the same town. Do you like the famous Hakka noodles?

14 brain dead dave { 06.29.12 at 10:03 pm }

Marco Pierre White is a definite for next week.

15 Ash { 06.29.12 at 10:13 pm }

I found it funny that my three least favourites were in the bottom for this elimination.

I mean, for one, who really thinks they can win by being a ‘Dessert Queen’ – really?? It’s quite clear that Julia is a very limited talent in cooking if it’s not a sweet-treat and that’s just beyond stupid! I was so beyond shocked that she was safe, of all people. Not that she’s a ‘bad’ cook, but she’s very, very, limited in her comfort zone and I don’t see her winning, at all.

Jules.. she just annoys me.. and the ‘homely’ style cooking just does her no favours, she seems to understand flavours and have the right ideas in her head but execution is lacking sometimes.. but out of the three, I’m happy she survived.

Tregan – this week alone, the whole ‘Oh we don’t have time for chicken, do lamb’ WTF??? Even Matt Moran looked like he wanted to shake some sense into her; then the whole ‘Oh I don’t want to get emotional, people who get emotional end up leaving’ and it’s like, no, people who SUCK end up leaving! She just boggles the mind, she’s a ‘home cook’ not a ‘chef’ for sure. For someone who just wants to start up a community cooking project, that’s all she needs to be, the ‘chef’ prospect is lost on her.. I am not surprised she was eliminated and it’s funny, I wrote this post in wordpad as I was watching the episode, so I kind of ‘predicted’ it as I went along.

Shame Alice wasn’t in the final three.. girl just irks me to no end..

16 EH { 06.29.12 at 10:16 pm }

Littlepetal – and I lived in Singapore before moving to Sydney. What a coincidence. Hakka noodle, ngau lam mee, siew pao. Miss them all!

Phew… Thanks BDD.

17 littlepetal { 06.29.12 at 10:49 pm }

EH – Do we know one another???? I was from ACS and then KGV.

Sorry guys if this doesn’t make sense to you all.

Back to MC. Thank god Tregan has been eliminated. Imagine what she will do when she finds out she is going to Italy.

18 Nardigras { 06.29.12 at 11:39 pm }

Wade = Guy Smiley

19 Jess { 06.30.12 at 1:18 am }

@littlepetal @EH
Seremban? D :

20 EH { 06.30.12 at 9:28 am }

Littlepetal – KGV too! Shall we ask RR for each other email address so we can talk ?

Re Tregan to Italy – lay an egg?

Jess – Freaky! Are you from Malaysia too?

21 EH { 06.30.12 at 9:51 am }

Jess & Littlepetal: Just an inside joke. I am tempted to audit for MC 5 (if there is one) just get to the level where I can cook for Gary & George: Entree: Century egg with pickle ginger; Main: Szechuan boiled beef with fiery water 水煮牛肉 (probably the most spicy Szechuan dish); Dessert: Durian panna cotta. Yes, I will bring a spy camera, so I can share the precious moments when George tasting these dishes with you all.

22 littlepetal { 06.30.12 at 10:45 am }

Jess-you from Seremban too??? Must be a foodie town.

EH- I would love their expression when they taste too food!!! Didn’t Poh use Century egg in one of her dish?

Yes, I would love to ‘talk’ to you. I don’t mind if we get each other emails from RR. I guess you are much younger than me but our families may know one another.

23 tomek { 02.10.13 at 8:48 am }