The Block – The Finale – And the Winner Is…

Well Channel NINE was the winner they will have high ratings for a show that could have been over in an hour but they managed to do a two hour finale.

The reserves were set at a reasonable level, well some cynics might think low. But who cares those couples have worked their butts off.

Brad and Lara were first to have their house auction. They had the highest reserve because they had the largest house. It was $1,120,000 which was reduced to  $1,114,000 because they came third in last week’s “Block Shop” challenge.

It went off like wild fire and it sold for $1,620,00 with a $506,000 profit. At that point I don’t even think they cared if they won at this point, as half a million was like winning the lottery. This was on top of winning a car for being voted the “good sports” by the public.

Next up was Dan and Dani  who had a reserve of $1,000,000, now $992,000. They also raked in the cash with their house it sold for $1,440,000 making a profit of $448,000.

Dale and Sophie were third up and their reserve was good after they deducted their “Block Shop” win which took $10,000 of their reserve. It was $975,000. Their house sold Sophie and Dale $1,330,000 and which was a profit of $355,000.

Finally it was Andrew and Mike turn to sell. Their reserve was $966,00. Andrew and Mike’s sold $1,400,001.01 a profit of $434,001.01. Now that was a surprise that they came second.

Brad and Lara reaped a further $100,000 for coming in first which meant a total prize pool of $1.8 million.

Channel NINE are saying that the reserves were above the median prices for that suburb, however that includes all houses which may not be quite as large.

However it was great to see all the couples make some big bucks and made for a very exciting finale.

Finally is there going to be The Block All Stars as the official site is asking people to vote for who should be in it. I doubt Andrew Rochford could be back in, as he is contracted to TEN. An All-Stars would be good and would love to see Jules and Jenna, Sophie and Dale, Dan and Dani, and Waz and Gav going head to head. A poll does give the producers an idea who would be a viewing drawcard and who is not.

1 Chunks { 07.01.12 at 11:41 pm }

It would be interesting to know what motivated the buyers. It seems that size was the main factor in Brad and Lara’s win because their renovations were not particular;y distinguished. Or perhaps it was actually the lack of strong directional design that helped them. Anyway, nice to see nobody gave up all that time and did all that work for nothing as has been the case in the past. I think I’m going to miss little bro.

2 sue N { 07.02.12 at 7:03 am }

Didn’t the brothers come 3rd, not 2nd? Anyway:

-I am glad D&D did not win
-I am sad S&D got the lowest profit
-I am glad they all made a good profit
-I am glad B&L won- they were my 2nd choice after S&D
-I would love Brad & Dale to be a pair for the allstars reno- imagine their “styling”..lol- and the TV viewing would be gold :)
-I want to know what is happening with the house they all renovated?????

that’s all 😉

3 Drb123 { 07.02.12 at 7:31 am }

I’m glad everyone made money. It was so awkward to watch the whiny sisters leave with nothing last year.

What was the story with the autistic Energy Watch guy? Not great branding for that product

I’m looking forward to Allstars. The sociopathic lavender couple from series 2 (Jason and Kirsten) would be real pot stirrers

4 TMC { 07.02.12 at 7:56 am }

Energy Watch isnt that the mob who’s CEO or Founder or the like posted Racist comments about players while spondering the Melb Demons?

5 Darryl { 07.02.12 at 8:03 am }
6 Anonymous { 07.02.12 at 9:19 am }

What are they going to do with the house they all renovated?

7 TickledPink { 07.02.12 at 9:58 am }

I’m happy that Brad & Lara won, they did deserve it
Sounds awful but when Dan & Dani’s house was getting auctioned and their profits kept getting higher I kept screaming STOP! STOP! haha
Would have loved to see Sophie & Dale win more but i guess $350,000 is still a lot of money!! Great season – can’t wait till the next one

8 nanaliz { 07.02.12 at 10:35 am }

Really enjoyed this series and glad anyone but Dan and Danny won but good to see all of them came out with good sale prices.
Sunrise did a bit about Mr Energy watch and apparently he is new owner but company allegedly still owes $800K as a result of other guy.
Red coated lady was with the energy watch people. I would have distanced myself if I knew hubby was going to be such a dick with bidding. He really was embarrasing but sure advertised business – LOOK AT ME- not sure in a good way.

9 nanaliz { 07.02.12 at 10:59 am }

tvtonight has article on history behind Energy watch dude.

10 Mia { 07.02.12 at 12:00 pm }

@sue N – totally agree with everything you said.

This has been my fave season of The Block by far. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Great casting this year.
Really looking forward to the All Stars season. Would love to see Sophie and Dale, Brad and Lara (or Dale and rad – such a great bro’mance!), Katrina ans Amee and Gav and Waz in it.

11 Chunks { 07.02.12 at 12:16 pm }

Don’t like the look of that story about the weirdo who bought the brothers’ house. Hope they don’t end up out of pocket in the end. Did anyone else think Lara’s hairdo was a bit OTT. It reminded me of the Survivor finals, where all the women suddenly go from being perfectly natural at the location to looking like they’re off to a hillbilly wedding on the studio set.

12 nittywitty { 07.02.12 at 12:20 pm }

I’m not surprised that Sophie and Dale’s house sold for the lowest price even though it had the best position. No use explaining why if you can’t see why !!!
B & L ‘s house sold for the highest price only because it was the largest and as good as D&D’s and M&A’s.

13 Kenneth { 07.02.12 at 12:41 pm }

Anyone noticed that the Red Coated Lady was just there to keep the bidding moving? She only bid once in every house with the exact bid of $1.2 million.

14 Liz { 07.02.12 at 12:48 pm }

Thank goodness people here understand The Block is a TV show & was done to create ratings which result in advertising which pays the production company & the TV station. Some of the comments I have seen online, both during the show, and subsequently have been nothing short of moronic.
The Block was great entertainment, generated great ratings, huge buzz & fantastic ad revenue – brief filled.

15 brain dead dave { 07.02.12 at 12:55 pm }

The show wasn’t too bad but that little energizer bunny with the pedantic bids should have been punched out. What was that company called again? Energy Wank?

16 PollyB { 07.02.12 at 12:57 pm }

Those guys deserve every cent they won for all the shite they were put through for 3 months. It bordered on torture. I’d love to see Brad & Dale on allstars. Don’t want to see Dan & Dani or Chez & her partner but I’d reckon it’d be a great bitchfest. And pleeeeease, not the sisters again.

17 Chunks { 07.02.12 at 3:04 pm }

But PollyB reality shows need feisty and prickly contestants to keep them interesting. Without Dani the villain there would have been almost no tension on the show between the couples, just the usual boohooing when the guys are mean to their partners. The brothers were a beacon of calm and civility for the most part, especially to each other, but four couples like that would make for dull viewing very quickly.

18 PollyB { 07.02.12 at 4:04 pm }

Yeh Chunks, I know what you’re saying, we need the mix, just Dani, & particularly Chez are like fingernails on the blackboard. Just too much.

19 nanaliz { 07.02.12 at 5:53 pm }

Found this update on tvtonight article about the strange man bidding in cents.
UPDATED: The Age confirms New Energy Watch owner Mr Wallis bought the property with private funds, even though he was wearing a T-shirt with his company’s name and logo at the time he was bidding.
Last week Justice Shane Marshall in the Federal Court in Melbourne expressed concern that Energy Watch was advertising again when the company had been put into liquidation.

20 bella vita { 07.02.12 at 11:22 pm }

Not a fan of an all star version…cause let’s be honest…who the hell cares about any of them really and most people apart from die hard tragic reality fans would be struggling to remember all from past series.

Series 1 to me was still the best….Gav and Waz fantastic…but I liked the shiftiness of Adam & Fiona too. Amity and Phil were pathetic and Paul/Kylie bland.

Series 2 and 3 worst by far. Zero personality and prob Series 2 remembered most for the couple who got kicked off cause the guy didn’t disclose his criminal history

For pure personality reasons on who would give good TV give me Gav & Waz, Josh and Jenna, Fiona & Adam and Dan and Dani.

I cannot understand why people like Sophie and Dale, so bland.

For the normal season next year, I want to see a huge mix of ethnic people
Can you imagine how great it would be with some Asians/Lebanese/Italians/any other race instead of boring old Aussie bums

21 Warble { 07.03.12 at 2:16 pm }

I’m sure there was people from varying ethnicities in the qualification challenges for this series (the red house) but none won their challenges.