Masterchef Australia – Now If Wade Had Been Debra…

What prep did Wade actually do in his two hours for the Pizza and Pasta lunch challenge aka the Barilla challenge? He was making Pasta Cabonara and Pizza Napoletana, not Neopolitana as he had written on the menu board. Neither not exactly labor intensive.

For Cabonara he had to chop up the cured pork, and break a few eggs. For his pizza he had to make the dough, sauce and chop up some basil and cheese. Alice should have turned around and bitch slapped him about having a crack at her for taking so long on the Squid Ink pasta on the previously episode.

But the person who had every right to go ballistic at him was Julia, because as he had not prepped a pizza sauce he used hers. She was quite magnanimous about it saying that she did not mind him doing it as he had had such a hard time in prep making his pizza dough.

Half way through prep her sauce ran out and she was told to make some more. Wade said I realise I can’t keep on using Julia’s pizza sauce” maybe because there was none left.

He then told George Calombaris to take his pizza off the menu and that he was going to make Julia some more sauce. It would have been hilarious if Wade had actually won.

Now if it had been Debra in the same situation there would have been fear and loathing throughout the kitchen, and talk about how disorganised she was and how she had sabotaged Julia’s chances of winning.

In judging George praised Wade for being such a team player. Why?

It was a tough day in the kitchen with Wade, Alice, Julia and Mindy having to cook a pizza and pasta dish for 120 covers. Also none of their dishes could use the same ingredients.  Though there was a lot of pork derivatives dished up.

Alice made Orecchiette with bacon, peas and mint and Quattro Formmagi Pizza, Julia made Pizza Braesola and Rigatoni with Eggplant, Mindy made Casarecce with Tomato and Basil and Pizza Bianco, and Wade did the Spaghetti Cabonara and Pizza Napoletana.

The kitchen was tiny not helped by the huge number of packets of Barilla merchandise positioned everywhere. The Masterchef rule was in place – if it is sponsored product the judges won’t harass you about not making it from scratch.

Julia also had some bad luck with her pasta as she was waiting on the pasta cooker as Mindy had it and by the time she got to it the temperature had dropped and her pasta cooked too slowly.

Audra and Beau because they had the worst dish from the previous episode had to do the washing up. In fact they dodged a bullet as it was also chaos in the front of house staffed by the rest of the Masterchef contestants. Debra said they had not had time to work out how it was going to operate. What were they doing all morning drinking espresso?

George was saying this was the worst service he had ever done. Maybe he was just in a bad mood because he cut his finger whilst grating cheese.

One of the problems with these restaurant services is that is unlike most restaurants as it is full right from the start of service and with amateurs in the kitchen it is not long before it turns into chaos.

Alice was being swamped with orders and forgot a pizza, and Julia was helping her out at times. I am still not sure Mindy is the team player she pretends to be.

Also there was Gino who was introduced  as one of the best pizza makers in Rome, but he did not appear to do anything.

The judges liked Mindy’s pasta however they thought Wade’s cabonara was far too stodgy. They also criticised Julia’s rigatoni which was broken up. They thought Mindy’s Pizza Bianco was too salty, but thought Julia’s pizza topping was great, but the dough was not right.

Alice got criticised for her orecchiette that the ingredients did not go together but the judges loved her pizza.

The top two were Mindy and Alice and they will be fighting it out for an immunity pin. It looks like either Mindy will have two immunity pins which will see her sail into the top three, or Alice will have one which will mean in the final weeks there will be three immunity pins in play, which could make it very interesting indeed.

1 Culinary Boner { 07.10.12 at 6:30 pm }

Wearing nailpolish to an interview for a food preparation job, let alone for a chef’s position, will see you either warned or out the door – unless the establishment has zero hygiene standards.

Don’t see what this has to do with ‘homophobia’ Paul. Some people on this site don’t like Alice – because she’s a bit of a pretentious try-hard, while I don’t mind her. Likewise myself and some others don’t much like Mindy, because she acts like everyone’s friend in an obviously fake manner and she now appears to be the contender pre-anointed by production for a leg-up to possible victory.

Likes and dislikes are the very currency of reality TV viewing and when the show involves as much pantomime and faux competition as MCA does many of us can’t but help just take this piss out of the whole thing, including the amata chefs.

FFS, if I want good cooking (and eye candy of the quality of Padma Lakshmi and Gail Simmons) I watch Top Chef. MCA is still watchable, provided you don’t take it seriously.

2 brain dead dave { 07.10.12 at 6:36 pm }

There’s no stepping over the line in calling a cheap( atmosphere wise) , contrived game show a farce or calling out the fake contestants for being fake. These aren’t necessarily high calibre human beings ~ they are merely reality tv fodder . They are disposable heroes with a very brief shelf life. There’s a million more desperate, deluded amatas ready to step up out there.

It is what it is, unless one has an an chronic obsession with and blind infatuation for Ma$terchef and is oblivious to reality. I don’t see homophobia much on this blog at all, and it’s the refuge of a very ordinary ,sour,beaten unit to suggest otherwise.

Sorry ,Boner ,you stole some of my chunder re homophobia cheap shots.

3 Culinary Boner { 07.10.12 at 6:53 pm }

No problem bdd… comments here can be in the ether at the same time…

While no doubt some reality TV wannabees would be unhappy with the descriptions they’d find of themselves here, most comments are backed up by either evidence or examples (or often successful attempts at humour), which is more than can be said for the trash comments on some of the official sites with their illiterate teeny-bopper fan base.

4 can't boil water { 07.10.12 at 7:05 pm }

“Nobody cares what you did in the kitchen” … okay then in that case I spit in your food and stick a knife through your heart … in the kitchen … and then I walk out of your dumb-ass ‘challenge’ …

“What are you talking about I signed a contract…oh crap”

5 lulu { 07.10.12 at 7:07 pm }

Exactly bdd – I don’t know why this has to be explained every year.
It’s all just a bit of cathartic sport. Meaningless and soon to be forgotten. These people knew what they were in for – thousands are willing to take their place – and they are just as commercially expendable as we bloggers are, generally.
All in all, except to the sponsors, it means nothing, nil, niente … Nietzsche.

6 Morgan { 07.10.12 at 7:53 pm }

Homophobia? I had no idea Mindy was a lesbian.

7 littlepetal { 07.10.12 at 8:23 pm }

Poor Morgan. It’s on the MC official website and Mindy herself mentioned it.

Noticed no nail polish tonight

8 Morgan { 07.10.12 at 8:47 pm }

Littlepetal – Just checked her profile, and yep, it mentions her talking about when she came out to her family. So much for my shipping of her and Ben to be a couple! I think this also makes her the first gay female to be on the show? Unless there was someone before her.

9 Oshada { 07.10.12 at 9:18 pm }

Courtney from season 2 was gay, iirc. Julia is my favourite now, what absolute robbery last night!

10 EH { 07.10.12 at 9:21 pm }

Kingfisher – You are spot on with the black dot!!!

Another big day for Barilla challenge tomorrow. Suddenly no one is cooking fresh pasta & packet dry pasta is acceptable for MC standard. So far there is not a single fresh pasta dish is cooked/served in the ‘beautiful’ Italy. It screams $$$$$ponsorship.

11 Andy Pandy { 07.10.12 at 9:30 pm }

EH, and KINGFISHER, I was looking for the black dot but couldn’t see it! Does it mean that the pin has already been put on the jacket or is it a marker for George so that he knows where to put it? ( so to speak. ) I just googled up the word HIPSTER to see if there was such a word and apparently there is and Alice fits the profile as they like to wear big glasses even if they don’t need them!

12 brain dead dave { 07.10.12 at 10:07 pm }

Didn’t see Andy. I guess he rode out his culinary dream on a Tuscan toilet seat tonight.

You’re right, Chris W. Store bought tomato sauce. Beautiful.

13 Chris W { 07.10.12 at 10:07 pm }

Just when I think things couldn’t get worse, Shine proves me wrong. That has got be one of the most boring episode’s ever- knowing the result didn’t help. Still, team challenges are usually fun, so may be tomorrow will have some interest.

By the way, was I imagining things, or did I see tinned tomato sauce added to one of the dishes?

14 littlepetal { 07.10.12 at 10:11 pm }

After Kingfisher mentioned about the black dot on Alice white top, I spotted the black dot and is not dirt on my TV screen.

I think there will be no more immunity challenge from now on.

Maybe if Alice get to the Final 2, she will dump her glasses and turn into a beautiful swan. Channel Ten will doll her up and everyone will be talking about the beautiful Alice in her ‘bondage’ chef white. Sorry EH, can’t resist that !!!!! :)

15 littlepetal { 07.10.12 at 10:14 pm }

Chris W- you are not seeing things. Using tin tomatoes while cooking in Italy???? What a joke. What happen to those snobbish remarks from Gary about using tin/can/packet stock etc etc? Money talks. Masterchef has loss it credibility. (Give myself a slap) MC have no credibility in the first place.

LOL when Matt P said the sauce is not bright and vibrant.

16 Jess { 07.10.12 at 10:14 pm }

@JStar
Kylie Kwong isn’t really going to be making an appearance, is she? [sigh]

17 brain dead dave { 07.10.12 at 10:20 pm }

What’s the next challenge? Reheating a Papa Giuseppe’s Pizza?

“If you cook like a Gorilla, there’s always Barilla”

18 littlepetal { 07.10.12 at 10:27 pm }
19 Chris W { 07.10.12 at 10:33 pm }

BDD, that could be an insurmountable challenge if they use Alice’s oven.

20 EH { 07.10.12 at 11:02 pm }

Oh, the irony. Amina was eliminated of a bottle of store bought passata/tomato sauce.

21 Moonstruck { 07.10.12 at 11:55 pm }

Kingfisher you spot on about the hole left by the pin. It was dead giveaway that Alice won.
And tomorrow night Alice is not in the same team as mindy and Kylie. So one of the pins may be handed back on Thursday.. I wonder if the producers will make the team with mindy and Kylie lse to see if one of them will use it? Or will Alice have to give it back almost immediately??

22 littlepetal { 07.11.12 at 12:00 am }

I also have a feeling the red team will lose and Audra is going home. Just gut feeling

23 EH { 07.11.12 at 12:06 am }

I wish the red team lose just so Kylie & Mindy can use their immunity pins & everyone is back on equal playing field. Too many unused immunity pins out there.

Littlepetal – My gut feel is Beau will go. He is in red team, right?

24 littlepetal { 07.11.12 at 12:09 am }

Yes, Beau is in the red team. By right it should be either Beau or Wade.

25 Morgan { 07.11.12 at 12:28 am }

We’ve never seen two contestants use their pins at the same time have we? I don’t think Beau is going to last much longer. He’s definitely the weakest cook of the Top 10 and he really lacks alot of skills and knowlege compared to the rest.

26 Culinary Boner { 07.11.12 at 9:09 am }

Andy Pandy #111, to continue your ‘hipster’ education:-
the Bondi Hipsters talk about the London Olympics

27 Andy Pandy { 07.11.12 at 3:51 pm }

Thanks CB, you learn something new every day, very interesting!

28 Matchstick { 09.08.12 at 3:22 pm }

EH … I totally agree with you. We have just finished screening the Italian week in New Zealand.

I was so disappointed for Julia. I endorse all the same comments you made too. As for Mindy I always felt she was ALL out for herself and only looked after no. 1. She should never have been in the cook off with Alice. It should have been Julia. Sometimes I wonder if those judges stacked up against Julia because Mindy did not deserve to be in the immunity pin cook off.
However, I was so pleased Alice won – that seem to wipe the smug intimidating look off Mindy’s face. She was so sure she was going to get that pin.
I watched Mindy doing her pasta and your right hogged all the deep water cookers for the pasta. I think Julia has grace and integrity and I’m sure not put off by how they portray her, I believe she is a lovely young woman and hope she knocks some of them off their perch.
Oh yes! one more thing, I was sooooo pleased to see Debra eliminated she should have gone before Amina.
Can’t wait to see the arrogant Wade push off his perch and elminated. He is totally useless. Get rid of him I say. He deserves to go before Beau.

29 Matchstick { 09.08.12 at 3:26 pm }

30 Matchstick { 09.08.12 at 3:30 pm }

Obviously everyone can see through Mindy. Smug, want a be, immunity pin. She didn’t even deserve that her fellow colleagues won that pin for her. Whatever. Get her off.

31 gogardenguides.com { 08.11.13 at 11:57 pm }

I do not know if it’s just me or if everybody else experiencing problems with your blog. It appears like some of the written text in your content are running off the screen. Can somebody else please comment and let me know if this is happening to them too? This could be a issue with my web browser because I’ve had this happen before.
Appreciate it

32 Rita Candy { 06.19.14 at 6:00 pm }

Jobs Vacancies offer to all job seekers.

I am the Human Resources Manager , under the employment section in
Misty Ridge Dairy and Farms Company here in Canada , we need workers from
all parts of the world to join the company , whether Skilled or unskilled
they are all qualified to join the company .
You can also invite any of your friends and relatives to join us either the
Branch in Canada , United of America or United Kingdom ,all approved
applicants are to be granted free air plane ticket and free accommodation
and hospitality benefits.Applicants are only responsible for work permit
visa fees requirements,contact us through this
email: mistydairyfarmsltd@gmail.com

Your best Cooperation is highly appreciated .
Mrs.Rita Candy.