Masterchef Australia – The Immunity Pin Challenge

It was Mindy and Alice going head to head for an immunity pin tonight but first to they had to go to a taste testing tour of Florence as one of the dishes would give them a hint to what one of the challenges they would face in their test.

One “delicacy” they had to eat was Lampredotto which looked like Florence’s equivalent to a kebab without the accoutrements to disguise the meat which in this case was the fourth stomach of the cow. Just as well Debra didn’t have to taste it as a former vegetarian she would have freaked out. Mindy took one bite and bailed from it, however it reminded Alice of her dishes of her childhood.

Thankfully for them the challenge wasn’t disembowelling a cow to get its innards, it was guessing the ingredients in a Ribolita which is a Vegetable and Bread soup.

They took it in turns to pick an ingredient with the winner getting an advantage in the next round.

Alice cracked me up and picked up the cheese to taste they were all looking on expectantly for her to identify the cheese and she said “pepper”. However I thought her strategy of not tasting the dish each time she could trip her up in the end.

However Mindy was the one who ended up stuffing up first by saying there was barley in there when it was farro.

The advantage that Alice obtained was whether she should pick to cook three sweet dishes or three savoury dishes of guest judge Antonio Carluccio’s.  From the previews we knew she picked savoury as it showed them chopping up rabbit and artichokes.

However the viewer had to sit through the slow reveal of the six dishes. She decided not to be strategic and pick desserts which is Mindy’s weakness, but selected the mains “to give them both a chance”.

Also she later revealed it was warm which may have made making pastry difficult.

Antonio Carluccio was a special guest judge for the evening and he even got to privilege of scoring as well. By the way Matt Moran it appears did not manage to get a seat on the plane.

It was then outside to cook Chicken Meatball Soup, Stuffed Squid and the Rabbit and Artichoke dish in 90 minutes.

Mindy was talking to Gary saying she wanted some caramelisation in the stock but it had not said anything in the recipe. Gary cautioned her saying “Be careful about thinking you know better than Antonio Carluccio.” She nodded in agreement. Audra yelled out “go with your gut.” Maybe she didn’t want her to get another immunity pin.

Also Mindy took the skin off her squid whereas Alice kept hers on as again, this was unclear in the recipe.

Alice’s was always pushing for time however she then had the issue of her oven not working properly. Gary castigated her and said “I am watching it your not.” I think she should at least be able to presume that the oven works and that she should not have to check that every few moments. She ended up putting it in Mindy’s oven and when she took it out,  not all her rabbit was cooked.

It was a blind tasting, something they should bring in for the Monday night pressure tests as just maybe the judges did not know whose dishes they were.

Alice’s meat balls were criticised for being to light so it was difficult to taste the chicken. Mindy’s calamari was said to be not very tender and lacked freshness and brightness. Also Antonio said he preferred the skin on. Matt Preston also was positive about Alice’s dish.

Finally in the rabbit dish Mindy left out the onions and Alice the artichokes. Antonio found this astounding! So it came down to the rabbit, Mindy had over cooked hers, and Alice’s dodgy oven turned into a blessing as hers was cooked well.

It was no surprise that Alice won the pin. It would be interesting to know whether the other contestants would have preferred Mindy to have two immunity pins or that now three of the contestants have one making the odds of one of them playing it in an immunity challenge so much higher.

1 Georgie { 07.11.12 at 1:03 pm }

And potatoes EH – what a crock of vegetables a pot of soup is!

2 lulu { 07.11.12 at 1:06 pm }

Exactly, why did Mindy have to be specific and not Alice?

Gary: Alice, can you identify an ingredient?
Alice: Food?
Gary: That’s right Alice, take a pin.

Thunderbirds are go!

3 Culinary Boner { 07.11.12 at 1:11 pm }

Why did neither say water?

4 Georgie { 07.11.12 at 1:16 pm }

Lol – I liked it when Alice said garlic and Gary says, “are you sure”. Are you kidding, this is Italy Gary – is the Pope Catholic.

CB – “what kind of water?”
Bottled
Spring
Rose
Toilet
Artesian
Tap
Tank
Filtered

Gary would probably have said “no” there’s stock though. Ah doh, and what makes stock? Hmm

5 kess { 07.11.12 at 1:17 pm }

OMG all the talk of outdoor cooking reminds me of the nightmares at school fetes. It’s not just the equipment isn’t so great but the electricity was allways an issue for us, getting enough power for deep fryers, and all that other fast food crap was horrible, things were allways cutting out and not producing enough heat etc.

MC contestants – it’s now for me a matter of the more you see the less you like most of them……..
The only people I like – Julia & Andy, both seem level headed and not at all smarmy. Beau is also allright, but he’s a supporting role, and just pops up every now and again to surprise us.
All the rest are annoying favourites, camera hogs, official narrators, pushy, game players – Mindy, Audra, Alice, Kylie
Or wimps, Ben, Wade; or weirdos Deb.
Who will win – probably Kylie.

6 Chunks { 07.11.12 at 1:17 pm }

Well at least the cavolo nero and savoy cabbage were both very specifically mentioned when they tasted the first ribollita. I got the impression Mindy was trying to show off, which is what ended up tripping her up when she decided to go with barley instead of the very obvious other ingredients like beans. I was dying for one of them to say cheese or bread to see what the grilling was like. No pun intended. I’m thinking they should introduce a hidden immunity pin next series. They could hide it in a bowl of nice boiled sheep’s stomach or somehting.

7 Reality Raver { 07.11.12 at 1:20 pm }

JKo – Glad I am not the only one to have dreams about the cast on the show.

CB, Paul and BDD – Re: The ovens that Gary was looking at someone perhaps seeking advice on what they should do re: dodgy oven. Interestingly if they had gone desserts there probably would not have been enough space in Mindy’s oven for them all.

EH – LOL re: cabbage dialogue it did go on forever. Maybe she was testing them on the second time around. Who wants to be gone on giving too much information.

8 Culinary Boner { 07.11.12 at 1:21 pm }

Bilge, Georgie, bilge.

9 Culinary Boner { 07.11.12 at 1:24 pm }

Hey Raver. One of my early posts must be in your vetting lounge… and it’s a scoop

10 Warble { 07.11.12 at 1:29 pm }

I’m assuming they needed to be specific over cabbage because there was more then one type used as opposed to pepper or potato.

11 EH { 07.11.12 at 1:33 pm }

Chunks – Exactly! It did come across to me that Mindy was a little show off at the taste test. Also during cook off, Gary had to put her into place by telling her not to think she is better than Antonio.

I hope I won’t get hammered for sledging the ‘beautiful’ Mindy. Bear in mind that the camera shows us what the producers want us to see.

12 Culinary Boner { 07.11.12 at 1:52 pm }

‘beautiful’ Mindy??… well only after a scrub
As Butthead commanded whence attired like Matt and George were when they visited Asterix World for the Daily Telegraph this week:
“BATHE HER AND BRING HER TO ME.”

13 lulu { 07.11.12 at 2:03 pm }

I guess it’s not Mindy’s fault if the producers shove her in front of the cameras. What’s she gonna say? No thanks?
Have to say, she’s competent and talented, if a little smug.
If any of you had to host a dinner-party, a special occasion for 20 or so guests and you had to pick one of the remaining MC contestants to ‘do’ everything, who would it be?
I know who I’d choose … with my fave, Julia, a close second.

14 Dunbi { 07.11.12 at 2:10 pm }

I enjoyed seeing Antonio again. Many years ago I used to watch his programme – his food is good and I love his accent – never knew the word ‘salt’ could sound so sexy! I think he was very underwhelmed by the dishes, both lots of chicken balls looked stodgy to me and the rabbit looked awfully dry.

Why do they make them cook outside – had they been given a kitchen to work in Alice would have had a proper choice and there probably wouldn’t have been a problem with the oven.

It would have been a nice gesture to have taken Julia with them on the taste testing tour although I don’t think she missed much, surely there were nicer things to taste test.

15 Andy Pandy { 07.11.12 at 2:24 pm }

Why do the challenges tend to be outside, apart from the beautiful views that is ? It would be so much easier on everyone concerned if they were just held in a normal indoor kitchen, less chance of food spoilage, gastro etc. The immunity pins have just become a joke, just get rid of them. At least the blind tasting was a bit fairer this time and Mindy and Alice were only going up against each other, not a professional chef like the others had to do. The show is starting to drag on a bit now.

16 Chunks { 07.11.12 at 2:41 pm }

I think they probably cook outside to prevent them accidentally burning down 500 year old architectural treasures.

17 EH { 07.11.12 at 2:51 pm }

My EPG seems to be overly active today. It has forecasted the MC program up till 24th of July! Nothing new but confirmed some of the speculations I have posted yesterday. Here is a quick summary:

* Guest chefs include Kylie Kwong, Grant King (Gastro Park’s chef) & John Torode (MC UK judge).
* Triple eliminations next week & no more immunity pin.
* 3 consercutive days of elimination on 22/7, 23/7 & 24/7.

No update/confirmation on the finale date yet.

18 Culinary Boner { 07.11.12 at 2:52 pm }

Good point Chunks. I’m not certain travelisurancedirect.com.au covers accidently burning down Renaissance heritage sites.

19 JRuth { 07.11.12 at 3:56 pm }

I have very fair skin and all I could think while watching the challenge last night was “why isn’t anyone wearing a hat”?

20 Morgan { 07.11.12 at 4:04 pm }

Andy Pandy – Yes, they need to get rid of the pins. Last season pretty much showed off how unfair they can be. From next season onward the winner of the Sunday Invention Test should just be safe for the rest of the week.

21 Sioux Denim { 07.11.12 at 4:21 pm }

Thanks CB for the link to Antonio’s page – I love this guy and have only recently seen the Two Greedy Italians series on SBS – have cooked a lot of his recipes, Bellissimo!

22 Lesley { 07.11.12 at 4:33 pm }

How about to make the competition fairer they take the immunity pin, from self righteous mindy, and give it to the person that won it in the first place i.e. Amina. That would put the cat amongst the pigeons. Todate the week in Italy is boring except for Antonio and the scenery.

23 Nardigras { 07.11.12 at 5:37 pm }

Since we all knew that Alice was going to win the pin last night, the surprise i was waiting for was how she would react to the news. So nice to see her give a genuine, humble acceptance of the news as opposed to a jumping on the spot, clapping , mouth open, over the top (really effing annoying) response. The cherry on the top was Mindy finishing second when she thought she was numero uno.

24 Culinary Boner { 07.11.12 at 7:17 pm }

Prego, Sioux Denim.
I have yet to see Two Greedy Italians (obviously a name chosen for the poms who remember the queens of stodge, The Two Fat Ladies).
There is only one “delicacy” I remember Antonio featuring that I would not even countenance trying – a peasant cheese that is allowed to crawl with maggots. On purpose, FFS! I don’t think even Antonio could stomach it.

25 littlepetal { 07.11.12 at 7:42 pm }

EH-Another two for you

Never used saffron before

Never cooked risotto before

26 Morgan { 07.11.12 at 7:46 pm }

How unecessary is that golf leaf on the risotto?

27 EH { 07.11.12 at 8:11 pm }

Green, go green. Andy is back looking beautiful. Hopefully my dream tonight will be Andy, me & a red Vespa :)

28 littlepetal { 07.11.12 at 8:18 pm }

Morgan- So you can charge the dish according to the gold price

29 littlepetal { 07.11.12 at 8:21 pm }

EH- You have to stop reading Fifty shades of grey!!!!!

30 EH { 07.11.12 at 8:31 pm }

Littlepetal, it doesn’t help when Guido Barilla started talking about “the PERFORMANCE of the pasta” ROFL!

31 littlepetal { 07.11.12 at 8:41 pm }

EH-We guessed wrongly and your dream has been shattered. You can have Wade instead !!!!

32 Andy Pandy { 07.11.12 at 9:47 pm }

Beautiful pork sausage! Beautiful fresh produce! And Epic Prawnage from Alice! Sad for the green team.

33 Gary and Mindy Show { 07.11.12 at 10:04 pm }

Can someone please tell me if I am the only one out there that thinks Gary and Mindy are a little tooooooooo friendly?????????? Gary always makes more comments to Mindy than anyone else!!!!! I’ve also caught him winking at her quite a few times!!!!! It is so very obvious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

34 Aldente heart { 07.12.12 at 1:35 am }

Maybe gaz iz into Mindy………I think Mindy has eyes for another.x

35 Fred { 07.12.12 at 2:15 am }

Mindy is a lesbian.

36 kingfisher { 07.12.12 at 7:10 am }

has anyone notice andy has a comb over , maybe to cover his bald spot .

37 JKo { 07.12.12 at 7:26 am }

@EH, Deb & Ben have never cooked risotto before (is there anyone else?)

38 Anonymous { 07.12.12 at 7:31 am }

Deb cooked risotto once in the eighties.

39 kingfisher { 07.12.12 at 7:38 am }

did not watch this episode as a group challenge is a waste of my time . we all know who they want in and who they want out . watching 2 groups making pasta BALONEY!!, a friggin gold leaf in rissotto give me a break , my wife was watching it and i caught a bit with gorge going on about how great this rissotto is and the famous chef says “it’s only rissotto ” sums it up heh .

40 Moonstruck { 07.12.12 at 8:07 am }

Once again the first part of the challenge was a waste of time as the ads had shown who the teams were we knew at least the team composition.
Mindy’s complaint that how can you cook something without a recipe sounded very false. How on earth do they manage when they have the invention tests? And aren’t chefs supposed to create their own unique recipes?

41 Paul { 07.12.12 at 8:40 am }

LOL @ kingfisher ‘not watching’.

42 EH { 07.12.12 at 8:40 am }

Littlepetal & JKo – Thanks. Will publish the updated list on RR’s finale post.