Location Location Location Australia – And A Regular Reader Is On The First Episode

Popular show Location Location Location Australia starts again tonight on the Lifestyle Channel at 8.30pm.

Always an enjoyable show where buyers agents Veronica Morgan and Bryce Holder help people by their dream home.

What makes episode one of the new series so exciting is regular reader of this blog Gillian is on the first episode.

She is the single girl about town looking for the one bedroom apartment. She has been looking for five years! Does she find somewhere to live well you will have to watch the show. Also her mother who went house hunting with her was one of the episodes highlights.

Anyone who lives in Sydney will be laughing at the couple who thought they would be able to buy a four bedroom house in Balmain with off street parking for around $1.5 million.

Here is an interview I did with the very affable Bryce and Veronica at the ASTRA awards where they talk about how they manage the clients expectations.

They keep the episode going along nicely with their mix of sparky patter and tough love. What I did notice from the first two episodes was that both like a bit of a tipple. However for the record they were sober on the red carpet!

Location Location Location Australia each Wednesday at 8.30pm on Lifestyle Channel

1 Andy Pandy { 07.11.12 at 5:25 pm }

Love this, If I can prise hubby off The Austar remote I will watch it!

2 Gillian { 07.11.12 at 9:55 pm }

Thank goodness that’s over! My mother and I were so nervous before it aired but we laughed all the way through it. I’ve just shown my mother your lovely comment about her being one of the highlights and she was very touched!

They left out my commentary about why I paid $440k. My original budget was $400k but as they said I was very open to different areas and I always thought a property at Maroubra let alone with a beach view was out of my price range.

I realised during the show $420k was more realistic which was the upper amount I gave to producers but I was always pre-approved for $430k. However, by the time they filmed the follow up, I saved another $10k.

In the end, I would have to pay another $15k if I didn’t buy an existing property before January 1 so I thought it was false economy to buy a cheaper property without a beach view next year for $425k+ plus the stamp duty so there you go!

I thought they showed us in a good light and I’m very happy with the outcome. I absolutely love the Maroubra area. I’m looking forward to seeing the other shows.

3 Andy Pandy { 07.11.12 at 10:26 pm }

You did well Gillian! We just watched it and think you definitely chose the right area.The other couple were good too, but how scary to have a huge mortgage like that! We used to live in Sydney too but now live in QLD. I know its all about Location Location Location but where we are you could get a 4 bedroom home here for that price with sea views. Everything is really expensive in Sydney.

4 Gillian { 07.11.12 at 10:41 pm }

Thanks Andy Pandy! Sydney is so incredibly expensive which is why I was considering leaving to go to Melbourne. Actually the week before I was chosen for the show, I had a farewell dinner! The NSW Government decided to scrap the stamp duty so I thought I should make a last ditch effort to buy property. In the end, I had buyer’s fatigue. There is something magical about seeing the beach but also hearing it from your property. But 1.6 million, we almost fainted!

5 planb { 07.12.12 at 10:44 am }

I’m glad you got the beach one with sea sounds and not the Newtown one where all I could hear were cars! Congrats.

6 Gillian { 07.12.12 at 12:21 pm }

Thanks Plan B! I was open to a lot of different areas as I work from home but one area I said I absolutely hated was Newtown. No offence to anyone who lives there, it just doesn’t feel safe to me and it has restricted parking.

I was so shocked it cost less to buy a property in Maroubra than the inner west and inner city. Give me a beach view and sea sounds any day over traffic and chaos. I shut the door of my building (built in the 1900s) and I hear nothing but the sound of the sea! Bliss :-)

7 bella vita { 07.12.12 at 1:53 pm }

Was a great episode and I think Bryce and Veronica are very good hosts.

Gillian…your Mum is fantastic…give her her own show!!!

As for the couple….she was a bridesmaid in his first wedding and he was best friends with her ex. As if you’d say that on television!!!!
Um…$$$ anyone? Barrister vs lingerie designer. They both came across as money grubbing selfish losers who clearly had no intention of caring about their blended families and wanted only the couple lifestyle.

8 Gillian { 07.12.12 at 3:12 pm }

Thank you bella vita, what an absolutely lovely thing to say!!! I knew I’d have a much better chance being with my mother in my casting video. She does a lot of volunteer work and is a pillar of the community. She’s such an asset to me – the crew absolutely adored her.

Just quietly, I wasn’t sure why the second couple revealed that information about their past. I knew my angle about living at home with my parents was potentially embarassing (but a good angle to get on the show) but don’t give the producers anything they can work with if you don’t have to!

9 Andy Pandy { 07.12.12 at 5:16 pm }

Yes, your mum seems really nice. She must miss you after having you at home for so long but at least you didn’t go to Melbourne! She would have been happy about that! Look after her, I don’t have my mum any more, or dad, and I would give anything just to have another day with them. Sorry, getting off the track but it made me miss them just seeing you with your lovely mum, say hello to her from me plz!

10 Gillian { 07.12.12 at 8:49 pm }

Thank you Andy Pandy for your lovely comments and I’m sorry to hear that your parents are not with you anymore. I don’t think my parents have had time to miss me! I come back all the time and work from their house. I try and make my parents feel loved and appreciated every day. Life is short. It is always a pleasure and never an obligation to spend time with them.

The video diary we did is a great momento – http://www.lifestyle.com.au/tv/location-location-location-australia/videos.aspx#/location-location-location-australia/7F074C0A/gillians-video-diary-ep-1

11 kingfisher { 07.13.12 at 1:15 pm }

great buy gillian i have invested in a few properties in victoria but the one you bought looks to have tons of potential ,i know it needs work but you can put your own design into it . looks like a great beach to go for walks on a balmy night ,you made the right decision buying that unit it’s not about buying in a area just to be wanky it’s about buying a place where you are going to be happy .good luck and enjoy your life style gillian regards kingfisher

12 Gillian { 07.14.12 at 5:52 pm }

@ Kingfisher – Thank you for your response! I was lucky no one else had the vision to see the property’s potential. I had a delayed settlement of three months and that gave me time to plan and save for the renovations. Admittedly, I know my mother loves the beach and that factored into my decision as well!

The awful walls (blue, purple, yellow and mustard!) were painted a creamy white colour, I put in dark bamboo flooring (Wengee) as well as a picture rail and skirting boards. I’m very proud of myself as I’ve never worked with tradespeople before (I painted my parent’s house) and it was long trips from Blacktown to Maroubra.

I absolutely adore my property and I love Maroubra. Even though it’s near Coogee and Bondi, it has a completely different feel. It’s a working class suburb and a strong community. It makes me feel like I’m in the west but have all the convenience of living closer to the city and a good investment for years to come.

13 Reality Raver { 07.14.12 at 9:55 pm }

Gillian – thanks for sharing that experience with us on the blog.

14 Gillian { 07.15.12 at 11:06 am }

I’ve just come back from a walk along the beach :-) No problem RR. We all know who the star of the show was anyway and she’s been taping copies of the show to send to the relos in Mauritius all week lol.

15 sue { 09.02.12 at 11:59 pm }

Loved your apartment. How lucky were you to finally get such a great buy. Do they have stylists for you and your mum. You both looked so nice