Masterchef Australia – The Barilla Pasta Could Have Had A Bit More Heat
The huge Barilla Challenge was on, with the two teams battling it out to cook pasta dishes at the Barilla factory for 500 people.
What should have been a great episode was sadly a little lacklustre with even the alleged funny guy of the house Beau not even able to make me laugh, maybe the gastro and sunburn had knocked it out of him.
If this was the episode filmed after most of the contestants were wiped out with the gastro bug cooking for 500 people it would have not have been fun at all for contestants nor crew.
A few comments on the episode:
- Again the prolific use gold leaf on the saffron risotto which would have then have been binned was a waste, and still think it as a affectation rather than something that adds flavour to the dish. It should be noted none of the judges appeared to taste it.
- Ben had never made the Masterchef “death dish” risotto. Was he only practising Mexican prior to his entry in the house? Deb and Wade had only made it once.
- Wade’s was “nearly at the point of being nicely cooked” said Gary it was deemed to be the best.
- The best five made up the red team for the catering challenge – they were Wade, Audra, Mindy, Kylie and Beau. They made Kylie their captain.
- The remaining five were the green team and they made Andy theirs.
- The red team not only had the best cooks but had another advantage of selecting to two types of pastas they want to use first.
- The drill was to make a lasagne plus two pasta dishes one dish having to be vegetarian, and one seafood and they only had three hours to do it in.
- The Red team made a lasagne with pork belly and pork sausage, Pesto and Zucchini Pasta, and seafood dish with prawns and squid.
- The Blue made a zuchhini, peas and mint lasagne, an Amatriciana, and Fusilli with Prawns;
- Deb thought she had been pushed into a corner, “as usual” to grate up the cheese, however if she had looked over she might have seen Alice spending three hours prepping prawns.
- No major disasters apart from being time poor some issues were chopping the pork belly to big for the red team, and belatedly adding a bechemal sauce for the green team.
- Everyone kept their cool maybe because they were cooking in a reasonable size kitchen even when they were told they had an extra 200 covers to cook for. What happened there the factory didn’t know how many people worked there? Or was it twist to get the cooks to think on their feet either way we did not really see what they did to feed them.
- The red team dishes were all thought to be great particularly the seafood, and the lasagne.
- Green team’s were all good, except Guido Barilla the guest judge was not a fan of the vegetarian lasagne, however Gary was.
- The red team won and will get to tour a cheese factory for Ben, Andy, Debra, Julia and Alice they will be up for elimination. Chances of Alice using her immunity pin is high.
Who do you think will be eliminated tonight?